Mammogram Reminder To My Female Friends Aboard A2K

Chai

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:01 am
material girl wrote:
Believe me the last thing id want is for someone to be talking to me during it.I wouldnt be able talk due to me either crying or puking.
I wish I could think like you.

OK, then do the stare at a point and counting thing....and no one ever pukes or cries during it....really and truly, honor bright.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:02 am
Chai
My doc says I'm an extremely low risk factor for breast cancer, but I will be talking with him again about it and will be doing some research on breast cancer to see if I can't find anything on risk factors.

Excellent advice to MG and I'd like to add that all my docs talked with me during the few seconds it took to take the sample.

The tampon thing was a good way to explain the feeling ;-)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:03 am
I know people who need tranquilizers before going to the dentist. They find a dentist who gives them a prescription for one dose to take before their appts. Maybe you could find a gyno who would do the same. You'd get the pap smear over with and have a lovely day too.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:03 am
material girl wrote:
Believe me the last thing id want is for someone to be talking to me during it.I wouldnt be able talk due to me either crying or puking.
I wish I could think like you.

That's ok too. It happens so fast, it doesn't matter anyway.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:04 am
J_B wrote:
I know people who need tranquilizers before going to the dentist. They find a dentist who gives them a prescription for one dose to take before their appts. Maybe you could find a gyno who would do the same. You'd get the pap smear over with and have a lovely day too.

Hey, I want in on that deal Laughing
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:05 am
And how am I supposed to forget the fact a complete stranger is doing stuff to my undercarriage?
I heard a sick story, that some place had put pics fo Brad and George in the rexamination ooms to help relax the ladies!!

I seem to be upsetting myself.I dont know why Im discussing this.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:11 am
Just found this.

Genetic risk factors: Recent studies have shown that about 5% to 10% of breast cancer cases are hereditary as a result of gene changes (mutations). The most common gene changes are those of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes. Normally, these genes help to prevent cancer by making proteins that keep cells from growing abnormally. However, if you have inherited either mutated gene from a parent, you are at increased risk for breast cancer.

See the section "Do We Know What Causes Breast Cancer?" for more information about genes and DNA. Women with an inherited BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation have up to an 80% chance of developing breast cancer during their lifetime and at a younger age than those women who are not born with one of these gene mutations in their cells. Women with these inherited mutations also have an increased risk for developing ovarian cancer.

Other genes have been discovered that might also lead to inherited breast cancers. One of these is the ATM gene. ATM stands for ataxia-telangiectasia mutation. The gene is responsible for repairing damaged DNA. Certain families with a high rate of breast cancer have been found to have mutations of this gene. Another gene, the CHEK-2 gene, also increases breast cancer risk when it is mutated. Neither one of these genes, however, is a frequent cause of familial breast cancer.

Inherited mutations of the p53 tumor suppressor gene can also increase your risk of developing breast cancer, as well as leukemia, brain tumors, and/or sarcomas (cancer of bones or connective tissue). The Li-Fraumeni syndrome, named after the 2 researchers who described this inherited cancer syndrome, is a rare cause of breast cancer.

If you are considering genetic testing, it is strongly recommended that first you talk to a genetic counselor, nurse, or doctor qualified to interpret and explain these tests, before being tested. It is very important to understand and carefully weigh the benefits and risks of genetic testing before these tests are done. Testing is expensive and is not covered by some health plans. There is concern that people with abnormal genetic test results will not be able to get life insurance or that coverage may only be available at a much higher cost, but many states have passed laws that prevent insurance companies from denying insurance on the basis of genetic testing. To learn about your state, you can go to this internet site -- http://www.ncsl.org/programs/health/genetics/ndishlth.htm

For more information, see our position statement on genetic testing or go to the National Cancer Institute site on genetic testing for breast cancer.

Family history of breast cancer: Breast cancer risk is higher among women whose close blood relatives have this disease. Your risk of developing breast cancer is increased if:

You have 2 or more relatives with breast or ovarian cancer.

Breast cancer occurs before age 50 in a relative (mother, sister, grandmother or aunt) on either side of the family. The risk is higher if your mother or sister has a history of breast cancer.

You have relatives with both breast and ovarian cancer.

You have 1 or more relatives with two cancers (breast and ovarian, or 2 different breast cancers).

You have a male relative (or relatives) with breast cancer.

You have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer and Ashkenazi Jewish heritage.

Your family history includes a history of diseases associated with hereditary breast cancer such as Li-Fraumeni or Cowdens Syndromes.
Having 1 first-degree relative (mother, sister, or daughter) with breast cancer approximately doubles a woman's risk, and having 2 first-degree relatives increases her risk 5-fold. Although the exact risk is not known, women with a family history of breast cancer in a father or brother also have an increased risk of breast cancer. Altogether, about 20% to 30% of women with breast cancer have a family member with this disease.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:14 am
I dont use tampons,surprisingly.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:14 am
material girl wrote:
And how am I supposed to forget the fact a complete stranger is doing stuff to my undercarriage?
I heard a sick story, that some place had put pics fo Brad and George in the rexamination ooms to help relax the ladies!!

I seem to be upsetting myself.I dont know why Im discussing this.

It's ok, MG. I wish we could help you to relax a bit, though.

Now that I think of it, I remember freaking out a bit myself before my first time.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:16 am
material girl wrote:
I dont use tampons,surprisingly.

I don't use them anymore either. Been years.

Ok then, think of a mild period cramp that only lasts a second.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:20 am
Or, think of all the lovely medical intervention you'll get to enjoy down the road if something is happening 'down there' and it goes undetected.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:21 am
Exactly! Better safe than sorry when it comes to the C-word ;-)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:22 am
I dont care about it hurting.

How am I supposed to 'enjoy' anything medical?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:25 am
It's not meant to be enjoyed, MG. It's meant to detect any cancer down there that would most certainly take your life, if not detected soon enough to destroy it, before it destroys you.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:25 am
material girl wrote:

MG, the use of the word 'enjoy' was sarcastic. If you have something to detect and it goes undetected then you'll have any number of complete strangers doing all sorts of 'stuff' to your undercarriage. It's only one minute out of your life.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:27 am
It's something that I think every one of us dreads, but it's worth it to me to know that I don't have any lingering cancer eating away at my special parts ;-)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:28 am
It's more about endurance, I think. Better safe than sorry.

I've been on the pill for something like 20 years and it's always required an annual pap for me to get the next years' prescription. So that's a lot of paps. Can't stand 'em, to be sure, but it's on the order of nails on the chalkboard -- just squirmy ew rather than actual pain.

I like the dentist analogy. Having your teeth cleaned is a very very similar feeling. It's ain't enjoyable, but it's not so awful as all that, and do you really want your teeth to rot out of your head?

Ounce of prevention = pound of cure.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:28 am
The test may only take a minute but Its what goes on in my head thats more traumatic,itl last a lifetime.
I know im being silly but I clearly have issues.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:30 am
That reminds me that I need to see the dentist.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 17 May, 2006 08:33 am
Ironically I like going to the dentist and go twice a year!
0 Replies