Are you on your way to obesity?

Noddy24

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 10:01 am
Food isn't the only potential reward for virtue. Unfortunately, food is much easier to come by than many other treats.

Some people feel they should be rewarded--or consoled--every day or even several times a day.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:21 am
That happens because our culture (like most) equates food with love.

Birthday cakes, Valentine's candy, etc......it's no wonder. I was brought up to offer food to all guests, no matter what time of day, as a sign of hospitality/caring. I was also taught it was rude to turn it down...as though by rejecting it, I was rejecting the hostess. Takes a looooong time to unlearn those lessons, if we ever truly can.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 11:34 am
I break it down to the celebration thing versus the everyday solace for living thing, using food as a comfort blanket. I love great restaurants and read cookbooks for fun, and used to spontaneously put out food on our porch on a sunday summer afternoon. Those weren't real pigouts though, just a sort of fuel for, say, five hours of talking. But I agree that pushing food on people is a formula for stress on both sides, and rude in itself, though usually not meant to be. I liked flush'd's words about distorted relationship with food.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:38 am
Try to go one full day with no sugar.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 09:41 am
It's amazing how many commercial food products contain sugar. When I tried the South Beach diet a few years ago I read labels on everything I bought. I eventually found products without added sugar, but they are much less common than those that a loaded with added sugar.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:19 pm
I'd like to see this thread stick with words of encouragement for those who need a little boost.

:smile:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 02:51 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
what would i say to someone 500 lbs?

It doesnt hurt
You are not on a rollercoaster of emotions
My life doesnt revolve around where to eat
Im not ashamed
I can wear nice clothes
I can see my body
I can reach my entire body

and, if you work at it, you will too.

good thread idea.
I picture myself at over 300 lbs , and I try to think of what someone could have said to me then that would have made me change my eating habits.
Frankly, there was nothing.
Not until I have lost the weight, did I realize that I hurt. That it was embarassing,
that people were staring at me

But I dont know if I would have heard anyone then.
I was too hungry.

I don't want to talk about it right now - but I'm not happy about it and
it sucks
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:23 pm
I know.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:28 pm
So several of you know each other personally?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:30 pm
oh yeah. ;-)

I have never MET husker, but I have talked with him enough to know what he is saying in his post.

But yeah, most of us regular posters have met and or live next to each other
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:32 pm
Bursts of boosts to Husker and SW, and all who have dealt with serious weight.

Being an addictive sort myself, I can only think of another addiction as something strong enough to compete with craving to fill the stomach, so I think... what are safe-ish addictions?

I'm sure no competent psychologist would agree with me - but when I've been most distressed, I did something like learn to draw, taking classes in it and losing myself in it... and at first being near addicted to it.

So, the old standby -

Find a New Hobby

which is more meant as, Switch Gears...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:33 pm
Gardening

Bike riding / exercising

Public speaking

all kinds of things that effect seratonin in just small actions alone that can make a great 'addiction'
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 06:35 pm
Yes, that's what I mean, right on...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 07:09 pm
Shewolf--

Quote:
But yeah, most of us regular posters have met and or live next to each other

From your lips to the ears of the goddess--but your statement isn't literally true. You and I know a good bit about each other although we've never met offline.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
I hope you guys aren't taking pot shots at one another. I can't tell, because I'm not in the loop, but that's not what I wanted this thread to be for.

If you aren't ready to take on the challenge of getting healthier, then come back when you are. No need to feel badly over it, it should be a positive thing.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 08:59 am
I didn't notice any pot shots.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 12:15 pm
Hickory Stick--

I hope you feel at home here, on A2K? You aren't feeling left out, are you?
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:47 pm
Left out of what? :smile:
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 02:57 pm
Yes, Osso. That might be why I'm always heading toward obesity but never getting there. Same with insanity.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 16 Apr, 2006 03:17 pm
I usually eat more when I'm bored. Its definately good to keep busy.
0 Replies