Are you on your way to obesity?

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:18 pm
This thread is for us to post words of encouragement to those individuals struggling with their weight and needing to change their eating habits to live. So many people suffer from weight problems that are so far out of control, they feel there is no way to become healthy - which is far from the truth.

Guidlines for posting:

A good way to encourage someone on such a difficult, but rewarding, challenge, is to be short and to the point. If you're too long winded, you'll lose the person's interest. Please share a word of encouragement. If you want to share a medical fact or a health tip, please be factual.

My words of encouragement:

Its never too late to care about yourself, and to care about those close to you. By taking better care of yourself, you will be able to live longer and enjoy those people and activities that you love for many more years. Start right now, with short term goals and realistic expectations of improvement in your health, weight loss, and feeling better.

Start right now. Pick one healthy thing to do, and do it! The momentum from that small victory will carry you through to the next small goal of your choice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,364 • Replies: 61
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:40 pm
I'm carefully maintaining in the overweight, but not obese range. Close enough for me.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:45 pm
what would i say to someone 500 lbs?

It doesnt hurt
You are not on a rollercoaster of emotions
My life doesnt revolve around where to eat
Im not ashamed
I can wear nice clothes
I can see my body
I can reach my entire body

and, if you work at it, you will too.

good thread idea.
I picture myself at over 300 lbs , and I try to think of what someone could have said to me then that would have made me change my eating habits.
Frankly, there was nothing.
Not until I have lost the weight, did I realize that I hurt. That it was embarassing,
that people were staring at me

But I dont know if I would have heard anyone then.
I was too hungry.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:49 pm
roger wrote:
I'm carefully maintaining in the overweight, but not obese range. Close enough for me.

amen to that
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:25 am
roger wrote:

Maintaining a weight is a LOT harder than losing weight. If you can maintain, I'm confident that you can lose weight if you want to.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:54 am
Yesterday I cut up some carrots into sticks, placed them in a little container and put them in the fridge.Admittedly they are right next to the cakes I also bought but at least its a start.
If I want to nibble on somthing I can choose the carrots.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 06:50 am
The thinner you are, the more of your itches you can reach and scratch.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 07:30 am
Re: Are you on your way to obesity?
HickoryStick wrote:
Pick one healthy thing to do, and do it! The momentum from that small victory will carry you through to the next small goal of your choice.

Wonderful bit of encouragement, HS.

My addition:

Whatever it is, keep doing it every day for two weeks. Then pick another small thing and do that too. Whether you choose to use luncheon sized plates instead of dinner plates or walk to the corner and back after dinner. One small change will make a difference.

My advise for walking - Go in one direction and then return rather than going in a loop multiple times. It's harder to stay motivated if you see the same scenery over and over, particularly if you pass by your front door in an attempt to go around the block three times. Try to get to a spot that is an effort, then come back. Add a bit to the outbound distance every so often, say every two weeks. You'll be amazed at how quickly you'll feel energized and proud of your efforts. Even if you only go to the next driveway to begin with, it will help build stamina and you'll be able to walk to the corner before you know it.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:37 pm
If you drink any kind of soft drink/soda/pop - give them up for 2 weeks. Once you make it to 2 weeks, try 30 days. If you need caffeine, try tea or just eating some fruit for energy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:39 pm
Quote:
Are you on your way to obesity?

If i don't arrive there, it won't be for want of trying . . .
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 04:40 pm
LOL - setanta!

"Sugar's good for ya. Keeps your teeth nice and slim." -- friend from high school days
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Apr, 2006 05:05 pm
Me, i prefer red meat--preferably beef, aged for about a week, and introduced to the fire from across the room . . .
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 04:30 pm
For a lot of people, eating meat makes you feel full longer - because of the protein. It may help curb your apetite.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 06:59 pm
Take the time to celebrate every small victory.
You walked a block after parking a little further to where you needed to be?
Hooray!
Allow yourself to enjoy it.
Practise giving yourself the gift of self kindness to your body every day. Everything counts!

Try to watch your thinking pattern and begin to catch yourself in negative strains of thought....
Food is not bad, you are not bad for enjoying the taste of cake.
Instead, attempt consciously choicing what you are going to eat.....
When you decide to have the piece of cake, thoroughly enjoy it, do not beat yourself up for it......simply enjoy it and have a lighter meal later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 07:10 pm
I agree with that. I'm heartily for still liking food - just gathering discernment about delicious foods and enjoying them in moderation... instead of what most people including me have done, which is metaphorically to smash cake all over your face on an escape trail of some sort.

Let them eat cake, Antoinette said.

Let it be good cake, in small portion, once in a while.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 03:49 pm
It probably isn't a good idea to reward yourself (for whatever) with food. Find another way to celebrate.

Keep a change jar, and put money in it each time you'd buy a soft drink or unhealthy snack - and use that money to buy something else.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 04:54 pm
I guess I disagree. I see nothing wrong with appreciating good food and celebrating something with a great meal. But I agree gorging on sweets and fats for comfort doesn't work.

I'm no saint, but what I'm getting at is - I see it as fine to reward yourself for getting though a tough week at work (or what) and having one or two pieces of high quality chocolate.

Eating a whole pound, nooooooo. My business partner and I worked a block away from a really good candy store (sigh). One of us would go there every two weeks or so and pick out one or two bon bons for each of us.. and walk out that door. It was a treat for, y'know, just working at all.
But it's easy for me to say, I'm not that much of a sugar craver.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:02 pm
I'm very much a sugar craver, and if I deprive myself completely - I turn to gorging. I don't think people should deprive themselves so much that a food reward is neccesary. Maybe if people HAVE to have a food reward, maybe just don't do it every time.

Food for thought :smile:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 05:04 pm
Yeh, I agree with that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 01:06 am
Right. Food is the distorted currency when folks run into trouble. Changing the relationship with food is the goal.

A friend of mine has been struggling with her weight since I've know her. She has gone on all sorts of diets, spurts of exercise, whathaveyou. But kept going back to her old habits bc in her mind the dynamics of food were skewed.
Over the winter she commited herself to Weight Watchers. She had tried before, but this time I could tell she was serious.
She said to me the other day "It feels so good to be able to eat a donut and not feel badly about it. I don't care if someone sees me eating now."
She's losing weight at nice slow pace steadily.
It felt so great to see her feeling in control again.
0 Replies