What's Up With Republicans and Sex?

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:27 am
So let me get this straight... because conservatives are in public office they have to repress their sexual desires which causes them to act out in abhorrent ways?

Why is this only a conservative issue and not a public offical of either party issue?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:35 am
Uh, I don't know, jp. If it's a general public office holder problem, I would think Dems would be getting arrested in equal numbers as well. But, they aren't.

You tell me why that might be. I'm asking the question here.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
I think if there were more dems in the government right now the numbers might be closer. I have no idea, for instance, how many republicans got arrested for pervy things in the 90's. I think the feeling that they (powerful pervs, not just republicans) are above the law (general power thing) is a large contributor.

But I also think there's something to that repression aspect.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:42 am
Aren't these people screened when they are selected for important jobs? Any criminal sex freak is a weak link in a security organization.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:52 am
Well, I guess "criminal sex freak" is not something people generally put in their election material.
Lol!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
squinney wrote:
Uh, I don't know, jp. If it's a general public office holder problem, I would think Dems would be getting arrested in equal numbers as well. But, they aren't.

ARE there really more of them getting sprung?

Or is that just your perception, Squinney?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 08:59 am
Liberals as a rule are not as sexually repressed as conservative men.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:06 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
You guys crack me up.

I laugh everytime somebody brings up this whole conservative = repression/boring in bed thing. Give me a break. Talk about painting with a broad brush...

Of course, it is a generalization but one which is true. People who are honest and aware of their own sexuality don't sneak around in the shadows.

OTOH, I don't think anyone is claiming that conservatives or liberals are better in bed.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:07 am
squinney wrote:

Well we are looking at a very small sample here. Like FD said there are more repubs in office rthen dems right now. Maybe the dems just haven't gotten caught yet. I don't really know but don't see anough information to try to link republicans with a monopoly on weird sex scandals.

If it is more of a conservative thing than a public office thing then freaky sex acts comitted out of public office should back up that information.

Beyond that, do we actually know the political affiliation of Doyle? Sure he works for homeland security but I haven't seen anything to his political affiliation.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:08 am
dlowan wrote:
detano inipo wrote:
Doyle gave his name and job title in his first instant message to the undercover officer, Rodgers said. "He was very upfront about who he was."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-04-04-homeland-official-arrest_x.htm?POE=NEWISVA

Whoa...if true that is very interesting...suggests he is one of those who think it no crime...OR that he felt invincible, above the law.

Not very desirable qualities in a person with his former job, but not uncommon in paedophiles.

Great opportunities for blackmail and forcing him to give information etc.

Glad they got him.

This entire Administration has felt like it is above the law, and so far, they're right!!

Anon
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:16 am
While it's an interesting question, whether certain parties, or let's say sets of ideas (conservative vs. liberal) draw certain types of people, i am disturbed by how deep the obsession to divide everything (even sex!!!) into those two camps runs. Plus generalizations of any sort can be dangerous. Or maybe tired is a better word to use.
I am certain it has little to do with party lines, and that there are freaks in every party under the sun. Isn't it possible that a sex scandal of a conservative just calls more attention because they are, well, conservative? Both democratic and republican platforms are soooo wide that it's impossible to talk about some general 'rules' - that one is more sexually repressed and other is not. i mean, honestly, to me they look almost the same, looking at the spectrum of political opinions, both are right of the center, appealing to the wide populace, they cannot be that different otherwise they wouldn't succeed in america.

it reminds me of the Jesus and Saint Mary sightings - a Jesus croissant, Saint Mary appearing on a dirty wall somewhere.... they are there because people WANT them to be there. We read so much into things that we construe new realities.

Now, not that I want to dismiss this idea entirely, I guess I just wanted to chip in how tiresome it strikes some of us, outsiders looking in, and that perhaps our energies would be better spent addressing real problems. But that is a function of my subjective interest/disinterest and i do acknowledge that.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
Rightwingers seem to have a very unhealthy, perverse attitude about sex, and when it come out, it does it in horrendous ways! I think they lean on the liberals about sex not because of what the liberals do, but what they either WANT to do, or are ACTUALLY doing! Since their sexual tendancies turn towards the perverse and the dark, they think everyone does what they do!

Anon
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
Rightwingers seem to have a very unhealthy, perverse attitude about sex

Why don't you share with us exactly what you think this "unhealthy, perverse attitude about sex" is.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:24 am
Well said, dag. I think tired is a good word.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Why don't you share with us exactly what you think this "unhealthy, perverse attitude about sex" is.

Repression, isn't that obvious? It is healthier to be open and honest than it is to live in the closet of repression and denial. I think you are taking this too personally.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:28 am
No, it isn't obvious, Roxxxanne. I would place myself in the democratic camp, but to throw all republicans into one bag is unfair and, well, unrealistic.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:31 am
dagmaraka wrote:

I am certain it has little to do with party lines,.

It certainly doesn't break down strictly along party lines but you cannot dismiss the fact that the repressed tend to be conservatives. In fact, sexual repression is at the heart of the philosphy of the Christian right. Where do you think opposition to reproductive rights, marriage equality, etc comes from anyway?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:34 am
dagmaraka wrote:
No, it isn't obvious, Roxxxanne. I would place myself in the democratic camp, but to throw all republicans into one bag is unfair and, well, unrealistic.

I very clearly did not throw all Republicans into one bag. You are in denial of reality. Why don;'t you tbionk things out before you post.

Let's see how many out Republicans are there? Uh, let's see... there is Ken Mehlman, and...Ken Mehlman and...

...Ken Mehlman...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:35 am
I agree with dagmar.

You'll certainly find such persons everywhere (as you will find males having sex with young boys outside the Catholic prieshood, too).

The reason, why many focus on such is that ... well, those are exactly those institutions who have 'morality written on forehead' as one of the most importants criteria for joining their "forces".
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:37 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
jpinMilwaukee wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Repression, isn't that obvious? It is healthier to be open and honest than it is to live in the closet of repression and denial. I think you are taking this too personally.

It goes far beyond repression, it's their entire outlook towards sex.

Anon
0 Replies