What should be done about illegal immigration?

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 12:39 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Some kids can overcome bigotry in their family. But unfortunately a parents idiotcy is usually passed on to their children in all its forms.

bigotry has been established because it has through history made good sense. it is not clear that it no longer makes good sense.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:28 am
@hawkeye10,
Does it have to be pointed out to you that a bigot would naturally think bigotry made good sense?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 08:52 am
@Advocate,
I'm very happy on every trip I take. This one is not too common when on vacation where a beautiful woman takes me in her arms. That's the reason I'm showing it.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:02 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Does it have to be pointed out to you that a bigot would naturally think bigotry made good sense?

perhaps they are correct, I have never heard a sound argument here or any where else rubbing out social groups and leveling standards is good for humanity in the long run.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 11:12 am
@hawkeye10,
You wrote,
Quote:
leveling standards
. What in hell do you mean by that, and who's advocating for it?
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
those who say that we must take in everybody as equals regardless of the reality. some groups are not egual to others, in fact some groups are evil. perhaps some of these evil groups are bound by genetics or ethnicity. only an idiot would approach a member of this group as an equal because there is a very high statistical chance that they are not. predicting risk is a survival skill that we have gotten very bad at.
revelette

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:36 pm
I think a deal was reached in the senate, not terribly sure.

"This is a border surge," Graham said. "We've practically militarized the border."

0 Replies

revelette

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 01:39 pm
@hawkeye10,

Hawkeye wrote:
Quote:
bigotry has been established because it has through history made good sense. it is not clear that it no longer makes good sense.

Rabel wrote:
Quote:

Hawkeye wrote:
Quote:
perhaps they are correct, I have never heard a sound argument here or any where else rubbing out social groups and leveling standards is good for humanity in the long run.

Question
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2013 02:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
You wrote,
Quote:
those who say that we must take in everybody as equals regardless of the reality.

You're misinterpreting "equals" here. It only means that all should be treated equally - legally and morally, not that everybody should have equal wealth.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 08:57 am
Democrats let GOP name their price on immigration

Quote:
Republicans have finally stumbled upon Democrats’ dirty secret on immigration. As long as the GOP is willing to concede a path to citizenship for immigrants residing here illegally, Democrats will meet any demand on border security—no matter how arbitrary and misguided.

It took them long enough. Pro-reform Republicans had urged their colleagues for months to treat the bill as an opportunity to boost enforcement through the roof. This week, Republican Sens. Bob Corker of Tennessee and John Hoeven of North Dakota took them up on the offer, crafting an amendment to the bipartisan Gang of Eight bill with Democrats’ blessing that would roughly double the border patrol from 21,000 agents to 40,000 and build 700 miles of fence, among other reported features. According to The New York Times, the new border agents alone will cost $30 billion. If Republicans want to add an orbiting Death Star or hire every defensive line in the NFL to stand along the border, Democrats would be hard pressed to refuse.

“For people who are concerned about security, once they see what is in this bill, it’s almost overkill,” Corker said on MSNBC Thursday.

Doubling the border patrol hands Republicans a friendly talking point to bring back home to their conservative constituents, regardless of the policy merits. In fact it’s so friendly that they’ve done the same thing several times already. The United States employed about 4,000 border patrol agents in 1993; over 8,000 in 1999; and finally 21,394 in 2012. The government spent $18 billion last year on immigration enforcement, which activists note is more than all other federal law enforcement agencies combined. And the results look pretty good for border hawks: net illegal immigration from Mexico has plunged to zero in recent years, though a slowed economy helped as well.

The biggest concern going forward may not even come from the border, but from people who overstay legitimate visas: an estimated 40% of all people living in the United States illegally. According to a Congressional Budget Office report this week, the pre-Corker Senate bill is expected to reduce overall illegal immigration by 25% but cut border crossings by an even higher percentage. Those gains would be offset by an increase in other unauthorized residents, “in particular, people overstaying their visas issued under the new programs for temporary workers.” The Corker amendment builds on existing measures in the Senate bill to track visa overstays more aggressively, but the emotional issue lawmakers want to counter with dazzlingly expensive goodies is the border’s integrity.

Immigrant advocacy groups are decrying the amendment as expensive and ineffective. Many are already upset with the current level of security, which they complain leads to human rights abuses and diverts migrants to more remote desert crossings where hundreds die every year.

“It doesn’t make a whole lot of sense outside of political calculation,” Christian Ramirez, Human Rights director at the Southern Border Communities Coalition, said in an interview. “The number of border apprehensions is down, net illegal immigration has plateaued, San Diego and El Paso are the safest cities in the United States and we have the largest law enforcement agency in the U.S. already in place at the border.”
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:17 pm
I have been converted. It was pointed out to me that bullets only cost pennies to purchase. We can cure illegal immigration, food stamp crooks, jobless poor, and people who make less than $24,000 a year with the judicious use of bullets. And it would even cure the voter cheater thing as most of the vote cheaters are among the poor. We could save billions by giving one bullet to each of the people the conservatives deem worthless. We have many gun nuts on this site who would gladly 0ffer to distribute these bullets. I have been converted,
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 02:19 pm
@RABEL222,
Them gun-nuts will shoot you for sure! LOL
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:13 pm
@RABEL222,
Yeah! It was nice knowing you. See you in the afterlife.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 04:19 pm
@Advocate,
Yea, let's all get together and have a beer to laugh about it!
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 09:07 am
Senate approves comprehensive immigration bill

Quote:
The contentious bipartisan effort to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws achieved a decisive victory Thursday when the Senate approved legislation that would allow millions of illegal immigrants the chance to live legally in the United States and to eventually become U.S. citizens.

The 1,200-page bill, which now faces a stern test in the Republican-controlled House, carries a $50 billion price tag. It would double the number of U.S. Border Patrol agents along the southern border and require the construction of 700 miles of fencing there. It also would place new burdens on employers, who would be required to check the legal status of all job applicants using the government’s E-Verify system.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 09:24 am
@revelette,
It ain't gonna pass the House republicans. They're the "NO Party." They don't want to see Obama credited with "anything."
Advocate

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 09:28 am
@cicerone imposter,
And god only knows what is going to come out of the regressive House, if anything.
revelette

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 10:14 am
@Advocate,
I think we can guess, nothing but a lot disgusting rhetoric.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:43 pm
Looking at the tags for this topic, it is interesting to see that if I don't want millions of people in the country illegally, I must be a bigot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 28 Jun, 2013 05:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Simpleton is they name.