What should be done about illegal immigration?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 11:10 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Much of the country is rural.

Just to clarify:
Denmark is 87% urbanised (according to the CIA factbook).
The USA is 82% urbanised (according to the CIA factbook).
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:41 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

The last few pages have been pretty funny Laughing

I don't think people realize how much empty land we have here in America, how low our population density is compared to other countries.

Cycloptichorn

Try populating Yellowstone or Grand Canyon National Parks with a few million people, and see how mad you can make the tree huggers, cyclops, and the tree huggers might include you.

This conversation with O'Bill advocating a billion or so more people here, it is getting rather bizarre in terms of the stupidity uttered.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:44 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

okie wrote:

You are advocating quadrupling the population here,
I am advocating no such thing. Try harder to understand what you read.

You might want to read what you wrote, Bill. Do the math. A billion is more than 3 times our current population of around 300 million, so if you add a billion, that would more than quadruple our population. And as I read your posts, perhaps adding a billion was maybe just a start for you, I have no clue where you would end it. Are you seriously that deficient in math, Bill?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:52 pm
@okie,
Are you really so deficient in English, that you don't know the difference between discussing the practical possibilities of an event, and advocating for it?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The man advocates making illegals citizens, and he knows it will only bring more, which obviously he would also advocate keeping here and likely making citizens, and he said the country could handle another billion or more. I call that advocating it. Are you dense or what?
okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:58 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I don't get what "more people in single cities here than in the entire country of Denmark" has to due with population density - but that might be caused by our different educational system. Wink
Hey! We're not all Okie!

Walter doesn't get why it is pertinent that there are more people in some single cities here than in the entire country of Denmark. I guess his only consideration is population density for the entire country, regardless of terrain, size, or other things? Man, I thought some people here in this country were dense!!
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 03:59 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

The man advocates making illegals citizens, and he knows it will only bring more, which obviously he would also advocate keeping here and likely making citizens, and he said the country could handle another billion or more. I call that advocating it. Are you dense or what?

It would probably be a good move for you to not extrapolate what you THINK people mean, Okie; because you are poor at it. You just substitute what you WANT to argue against, for what was actually said.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I am not responsible for every thought in people's brains here, I am only responsible for what they say. If they did not mean what they said, perhaps they need to restate it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:03 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:
I guess his only consideration is population density for the entire country, regardless of terrain, size, or other things? Man, I thought some people here in this country were dense!!

How is population density regarding "terrain, size, or other things" calculated and called?

(Someone has to quote me so that okie can answer. Thanks.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:05 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I am not responsible for every thought in people's brains here, I am only responsible for what they say.

I like that: okie is responsible for x % of my thoughts and 100% for what I say.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:07 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I am not responsible for every thought in people's brains here, I am only responsible for what they say. If they did not mean what they said, perhaps they need to restate it.

Oh, I totally agree with that.

So; now, show me where Bill advocated for a 'billion' illegal immigrants to come to America. You made an allegation about what he said; you're responsible for accurately reporting what he said.

I mean, that's just per your post above.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:14 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

To clarify, people on this forum are the only ones responsible for what they say, but when I answer their posts or debate them, I am not a mindreader, I can only respond to what they say, and assume that they mean what they say. For example, if someone says, "I believe in making illegals citizens and I believe this country could hold another billion people easily," which is essentially what O'Bill said, I am not responsible for what he said, he is, and I can only assume he meant what he said, or be responsible for the meaning of his words in regard to what my response will be, and then present my opinion either in agreement or disagreement. In formulating my response, I can only use what he said, not every thought in his head. If he did not mean what he said, he needs to clarify and restate his opinion.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:20 pm
I guess O'Moron would urbanize the Great Lakes, the Rockies, the Appalachian Mountains, the Great Plains, etc.
okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:40 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I initially proved that geographically speaking, the country could hold a billion more people and that it still wouldn't even be anywhere near the most population-dense country in the world. This is a statistical fact.

I came in on this debate between O'Bill and Advocate rather late in the game, but apparently Advocate accused O'Bill of arguing that the country could take on another billion people or maybe even billions, I have not been able to get the original quotes, but the above quote by O'Bill does indicate he believes another billion would not be a problem. Taken in context with the fact that O'Bill advocates making citizens of the illegals in this country, currently maybe 20 million plus or minus, but one can assume that he believes that if the number of illegal immigrants grew to a billion or more, it would be no problem whatsoever.

The man said at least that much, and if someone could dredge up the first quotes from him on this, perhaps it would be helpful. I basically said such an assertion was silly and accused O'Bill of advocating quadrupling the population. If not advocating, he is at least perfectly okay with it, let me put it that way. I think it is frankly silly, whichever it is.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 04:46 pm
There is no doubt that someday we will be India and China. This would appeal to O'Moron, Walter, and Cyclo, but not to me.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 05:06 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

I guess O'Moron would urbanize the Great Lakes, the Rockies, the Appalachian Mountains, the Great Plains, etc.

A good example point, Advocate. When you start using population density as a meaningful measure in regard to what a country would hold, it is pretty silly on its face, because you are ignoring geography and a host of other factors. I also posed the question to cyclops in regard to placing people into parks like Yellowstone and Grand Canyon, but those are only a couple of examples. Although they are two of the largest parks, all of the national parks and monuments I think total almost 400 and more than 80 million acres. Add to that all the wilderness, which I think is more than 60 million acres. Also national forests and grasslands, another 193 million acres. These three things alone comprise a percentage of more than 10% of the country, and I doubt too many people would be jazzed with the idea of populating wilderness areas, national parks, or national forests. Add to that all the other uninhabitable places, also state parks, and I suspect it would easily surpass 15 or 20% or even more. Oh yeah, the great lakes, the Mississippi River, etc., how many acres there? Obviously the subject of population density becomes a bit more complex.

We already have highly populated cities that are almost unmanageable in regard to crime, drugs, infrastructure problems, budgetary problems, poverty, and all the rest of the stuff inherent with it. To propose the idea that this country can and should take on tens of millions, even a billion more people with no problem, essentially more than quadrupling our population, is frankly extremely naive and silly.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:19 pm
Boy these idiots are funny. Cyclo and I have both now led you to water, Okie, and in all your flailing around; somehow your whistle didn't even get wet.

As for you and Advocate's shared delusion that a billion people would require every lake and mountain to be colonized; do some of that math you were chattering about. Couple it with some googling; it might be fun to actually learn something!

Let's say we want to add a billion people... will we give them each 40 acres? probably not (though overall, we have enough land for over 2 billion people to each have 40 acres.) No. More likely, we'd build cities. Now if we were to build, say, 150 cities (average of 3 in each state), all the size of Hong Kong, that would comfortably hold over a billion more people.

For perspective’s sake; we could fit every single one of those cities in some backwards ass state, that’s only been a member of the Union for a little over a century, where the morons would probably agree to it if Rush Limbaugh said it was a good idea... How about Oklahoma?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:25 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
By the way, Okie: I'll prolly spend $20 on dinner tonight... but that doesn't mean I'd be just as happy to spend $1,000... even if it is possible. Discussing such a possibility is a far cry from advocating same! Wink
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 07:26 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Almost forgot:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

okie wrote:
I guess his only consideration is population density for the entire country, regardless of terrain, size, or other things? Man, I thought some people here in this country were dense!!

How is population density regarding "terrain, size, or other things" calculated and called?

(Someone has to quote me so that okie can answer. Thanks.)
okie

Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2010 09:05 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

By the way, Okie: I'll prolly spend $20 on dinner tonight... but that doesn't mean I'd be just as happy to spend $1,000... even if it is possible. Discussing such a possibility is a far cry from advocating same! Wink

So if the restaurant cheats and says you owe $1,000, then won't you pay it? After all, you would be just as happy to pay the grand. And the restaurant probably needs it or they wouldn't want it. What difference does it make? Isn't that the argument you are making with illegals? After all a few tens of millions, even a billion, why not, we can handle it, just build more cities or give them all a tract of land. They need to come here, the law should make no difference.

Do you realize how silly your posts are, Bill?