What should be done about illegal immigration?

Advocate

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 12:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It would be a waste of time to now list your many lies. In the past, I have pointed to some of the lies as you told them. I guess I will continue with that.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 12:25 pm
@ebrown p,
First, I don't necessarily agree with your characterization of various organizations. Second, I may cite something from an undesirable (e.g., Republican) organization if that statement is correct and is of interest.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 12:40 pm
@Advocate,
There is a difference between Republican and right-wing.

The people and groups who you are quoting on this thread, include borderfirereport.net and Frosty Woodbridge. These are not your mainstream Republicans here. These are people who believe that Obama is an evil master of the "New World Order".

But no need to argue-- I find it amusing that, because of your views against immigrants, you are willing to get into bed with these nut cases.

0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 02:49 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
Because this family tried to do the right thing.
Granted, they entered the country illegally, but then the father did the right thing and applied for and became a citizen.

If I interpret the timeline in this article correctly, this family originally used a temporary loophole caused by legal challenge based on the Reagan amnesty. They had a path to citizenship (due only to pure luck on their timing) that simply isn't available now.

Families today are blocked from doing the right thing. Once you are here illegally, we don't give them a way to "do the right thing".

Giving families (just like this one) the chance to "do the right thing" is what a path to citizenship is all about.

I am glad you are in favor of this-- at least for one family.
Exactly. And the bigoted opposition should take notice of the results of our current, idiotic, bigoted policy. The sins of the father should not be visited upon the son. Every child brought, and brought up, here "illegally" by his/her parents should have an available path to citizenship. Anything short, means kids get punished for their parents actions… and that is ******* heinous.

The comment on the story that really struck me was, "I wonder how many hard working Americans this little girl has put out of work."
Posted by:
cicclinton Jun-11

Wake up, assholes.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm
Brandon 9000- I dont thinkEP Brown had a chance to read the last post. OR he thinks that Rasmussen Reports is a RIGHT WING organization. If he does,he is very mistaken.

I wonder if Barack Hussein Obama will dare to present a fait accompli to the American public which includes government subsidized medical payment to illegals based on the poll numbers below:

Friday, June 12, 2009 Email to a Friend ShareThisAdvertisement
Eighty percent (80%) of U.S. voters oppose providing government health care coverage for illegal immigrants as part of the health care reform package that is working its way through Congress.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 11% disagree and think coverage for illegals is a good idea.

Most voters also oppose making health insurance mandatory for all Americans.

Still, two-thirds (65%) believe that every single American should have access to quality health care. Twenty-two percent (22%) disagree, and 12% are not sure. These numbers remain largely unchanged since President Obama first proposed such coverage earlier this year.

While most Americans support the idea of providing quality health care coverage for all Americans, they overwhelmingly oppose such a proposal if it also includes coverage for illegal immigrants. Only 20% favor a proposal for universal health care if illegal immigrants are included. Seventy percent (70%) are against such a proposal.

But, as is often the case, there’s a wide division between Mainstream America and the Political Class on this question. The Political Class is evenly divided on the question of a universal health care plan that includes coverage for illegal immigrants. Those with populist or Mainstream views are overwhelmingly opposed.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that up to 22% of the 46 million people in America without health insurance are illegal immigrants.

Roughly nine-out-of-10 conservatives oppose providing coverage for illegals, even in the context of a plan that provides quality health care for all Americans. Liberals are evenly divided over such coverage if it’s part of a universal plan.

The public gives mixed reviews to the details of a proposed universal health care plan that have emerged so far from congressional Democrats.

A key sticking point is whether the government should create its own insurance plan to compete with private health insurers.

Americans are very closely divided on that idea. It will be interesting to see if those numbers change now that the president has begun championing the idea this week.

Support for health care reform has slipped slightly as more voters think President Obama should work harder on his promise to cut the federal deficit in half in the next four years.

Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters nationwide say it is very important for the government to improve its enforcement of the borders and reduce illegal immigration, but just 32% of America’s Political Class agrees.

A majority of voters also favor strict government sanctions on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Yet despite reports that the president plans to begin a push for immigration reform, voters rank it fifth out of five priorities he has proposed this year.

0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
Excuse my absence. I was away for vacation. Foxfyre: I don't think that any illegals should be allowed to stay here. If I went down to Mexico and overstayed, I'd be hustled back over the border. Illegal immigrants are one of the reasons, medical care in the US is so expensive. On the other hand, South Americans, for want of a generic label, have been coming to the US for decades, working in the fields of California, harvesting crops and doing the "grunt" work, this government claims that US citizens don't want to do. In a tight economy, when jobs are scarce or cutbacks in employment for native Americans is down, I know of many people, some professionals willing to work the farms.

Laid off employees from banks, car dealerships, Wall St., etc. are working at Starbucks, McDonalds and retirees whose stocks plummeted, are looking for work. Illegal Immigrants need not apply because Americans need these same jobs, now. Just one opinion.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:30 pm
@teenyboone,
I agree that jobs should go to citizens first because out-of-work citizens are a drain on the economy and, if there are a lot of them, that hurts everybody's bottom line. I don't mind paying a bit more for lettuce or beef or whatever when wages are raised to entice Americans to grow or make or process stuff. I would rather spend money that way than in higher taxes or deficits to compensate for the many ways that unemployment costs us.

When we are at or very near full employment, however, there will be times when we would benefit from guest worker programs and I would like to have an efficient process for that in place and ready to go. It should be structured so that the employers sustain all the costs of the guest workers being here and ensure that they go home when the job is complete. Such a program would be beneficial to everybody.

Everybody who is here, however, permanent or temporarily, should be expected and required to follow our laws. I can't agree to any plan or scheme or process, no matter what terms or words are used to describe it, that rewards people who are here illegally and encourages more to come into the country illegally. That means that, with a very few exceptions that could be handled by Congressional action, most illegals should go home and come back legally.
teenyboone

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 03:47 pm
@High Seas,
No wonder I couldn't remember their names. They too are immigrants, but apparently don't read the Constitution. Horrific is an understatement. Thanks for posting the link.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 04:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
I agree on all points. I have no problem with an individual or family that enters the country legally. If I overstayed my visit to Canada, which is supposed to be an ally of the US, unless I ask for political asylum, as did GI's, to avoid service in Viet-Nam, I'd be sent packing!
okie

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 07:39 pm
@teenyboone,
Obviously you are just another bigot, teeny. If you don't believe it, read fellow Obama voters, ebrown, occom bill, etc.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:43 pm
@okie,
That's your hangup okie, not ours.

There is nothing I have seen in teenyboone's posts that is bigoted.

As we all know being against illegal immigration is not what makes you a bigot.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:46 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:

if I am not mistaken Okie was being sarcastic.
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 08:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think you aren't mistaken. I think Okie and Teeny are on the same page on this one.
Advocate

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 09:28 pm
@ebrown p,
But she is also for sending them packing. You have called that bigotry.

I'm sure you will try to lie your way out of this.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:26 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

There is nothing I have seen in teenyboone's posts that is bigoted.

As we all know being against illegal immigration is not what makes you a bigot.

Funny how the yardstick of measure is different, isn't it? It seems to be what makes conservatives bigots, in the judgement of certain people here. That much is obvious, ebrown, so you aren't going to fool people that much with your equivocations.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:28 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

if I am not mistaken Okie was being sarcastic.

Correct. I am only trying to wake some people up, such as teeny, to the hypocrisy of many of the people that she thinks shares her convictions and beliefs. Someday, I believe she will see the light.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 08:38 am
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
I think you aren't mistaken. I think Okie and Teeny are on the same page on this one.

Geez... I was just trying to give Teeny a compliment. There is no need to be so mean.

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 02:20 am

0 Reply report Sat 13 Jun, 2009 03:14 pm Brandon 9000- I dont thinkEP Brown had a chance to read the last post. OR he thinks that Rasmussen Reports is a RIGHT WING organization. If he does,he is very mistaken.

I wonder if Barack Hussein Obama will dare to present a fait accompli to the American public which includes government subsidized medical payment to illegals based on the poll numbers below:

Friday, June 12, 2009 Email to a Friend ShareThisAdvertisement
Eighty percent (80%) of U.S. voters oppose providing government health care coverage for illegal immigrants as part of the health care reform package that is working its way through Congress.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that just 11% disagree and think coverage for illegals is a good idea.

Most voters also oppose making health insurance mandatory for all Americans.

Still, two-thirds (65%) believe that every single American should have access to quality health care. Twenty-two percent (22%) disagree, and 12% are not sure. These numbers remain largely unchanged since President Obama first proposed such coverage earlier this year.

While most Americans support the idea of providing quality health care coverage for all Americans, they overwhelmingly oppose such a proposal if it also includes coverage for illegal immigrants. Only 20% favor a proposal for universal health care if illegal immigrants are included. Seventy percent (70%) are against such a proposal.

But, as is often the case, there’s a wide division between Mainstream America and the Political Class on this question. The Political Class is evenly divided on the question of a universal health care plan that includes coverage for illegal immigrants. Those with populist or Mainstream views are overwhelmingly opposed.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimates that up to 22% of the 46 million people in America without health insurance are illegal immigrants.

Roughly nine-out-of-10 conservatives oppose providing coverage for illegals, even in the context of a plan that provides quality health care for all Americans. Liberals are evenly divided over such coverage if it’s part of a universal plan.

The public gives mixed reviews to the details of a proposed universal health care plan that have emerged so far from congressional Democrats.

A key sticking point is whether the government should create its own insurance plan to compete with private health insurers.

Americans are very closely divided on that idea. It will be interesting to see if those numbers change now that the president has begun championing the idea this week.

Support for health care reform has slipped slightly as more voters think President Obama should work harder on his promise to cut the federal deficit in half in the next four years.

Sixty-six percent (66%) of voters nationwide say it is very important for the government to improve its enforcement of the borders and reduce illegal immigration, but just 32% of America’s Political Class agrees.

A majority of voters also favor strict government sanctions on employers who hire illegal immigrants. Yet despite reports that the president plans to begin a push for immigration reform, voters rank it fifth out of five priorities he has proposed this year.

okie

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:25 pm
@genoves,
The best way to maintain the popularity of Obama is to not report what he is actually doing. As long as the main stream press does a very poor job of reporting the details and results of his policies, his poll numbers may stay up. The man, the personality, the cult figure, remains popular, while his policies are not popular at all. As long as they report things like Obama swatting flies and stuff like that, he should be okay.
genoves

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 11:36 pm
@okie,
You are correct,Okie. The main stream media has Obama in its lap.

However, just five short months after his coronation, the public, despite the idiotic fly swatting report, is beginning to lose confidence.

There is nothing, despite media acquiesence to Obama, that will erode the public's confidence as much as the horrendous Unemployment Numbers which are, at this time, close to 10%( really 16% of one uses the U-6 criterion from the BLS).Everyone knows someone who is out of work. The public will blame Obama. The mid term election in November 2010 should be very interesting.