What should be done about illegal immigration?

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 12:44 pm
@Advocate,
It's called political expediency; it's easier on the politicians.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:19 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate... can you post an article that isn't written by someone with troubling links to white supremicists? Not that I mind...

Quote:

The Pioneer Fund has funded research by various eugenics scientists, including the late William B. Shockley. He contended that African-Americans are inherently intellectually inferior to whites.

Pioneer Fund's tax forms show it also gave money to a national immigration reform group, Project USA. Several news outlets, including the Washington Post and the Associated Press, identify Paul Westrum, the co-founder of the Steele County Coalition for Immigration Reduction, as the Midwest representative for Project USA.

Westrum denies this. He says he's filled in for Project USA's president when he couldn't make it to press conferences in the Midwest.

"This happens a lot of times," Westrum says. "Just because you're answering questions for somebody who can't be here, they automatically figure you're some type of representative for them. I don't know if you could say you're a representative of him if you're associated with him on a few things."

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2003/05/05_schmitzr_immigrationgroup/

This is funny....

But to attack the message (as well as the wackos who spread it)

Is there any evidence of a reduction of undocumented immigrants in the mid-50s... or is this another made up statistical argument with no basis in reality?

I would also like to know how many people constitute a "horde".

Are there hordes of anti-immigrant extremists?

High Seas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:32 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Advocate... can you post an article that isn't written by someone with troubling links to white supremicists? ...........

This is from today's editorial observer at The New York Times (a notorious white supremacy rag, in case anyone here didn't know)
Quote:
...........Sister Margaret is ...... raising money to buy immigrants air fare home.

“I’ve never bought so many tickets,” she said. “I just bought four in the last week and a half. We’ve gotten very good at it. I joined a club on the Internet, and with Spirit Airlines, I can get a one-way ticket to Guatemala for $120.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/opinion/11mon4.html
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:38 pm
Obama reverses stance on immigration

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/08/obama-enforcement-first-for-immigration/

He is now ready to face reality.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:44 pm
@au1929,
It's encouraging that he's talking about "enforcement" before anything else right now. Borders must be air-tight before any new immigration bill can be legislated, and current laws enforced.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

It's encouraging that he's talking about "enforcement" before anything else right now. Borders must be air-tight before any new immigration bill can be legislated, and current laws enforced.
why?
au1929

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 01:57 pm
@dyslexia,
Why you ask?Because without it any law we pass would be an exercise in futility.
Advocate

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:12 pm
@ebrown p,
I had never heard of Westrum. However, in this instance, his article is spot on.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:23 pm
Just to add a note of humor:

Please Help Jose and Carlos

Jose and Carlos are beggars. They beg in different areas of town.

Carlos begs for the same amount of time as Jose, but only collects about eight or nine dollars a day.

Jose bring home a suitcase full of ten dollar bills every day, he drives a Mercedes, lives in a mortgage-free house, and has a lot of money to spend.

"Hey, amigo," Carlos says to Jose, "I work just as long and hard as you do, so how come you bring home a suitcase full of ten dollar bills every day?

Jose says, "Look at your sign, what does it say?"

Carlo's sign reads; "I have no work, a wife and six kids to support."

"What's wrong with that?" Carlos asks him.

"No wonder you only get eight or nine dollars a day!"

Carlo's says, "Alright, what does your sign say?"

It reads, "I only need another ten dollars to get back to Mexico ."
Foxfyre

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:30 pm
@au1929,
au1929 wrote:

Obama reverses stance on immigration

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/08/obama-enforcement-first-for-immigration/

He is now ready to face reality.

I'm not sure this is a reversal but enough members of Congress on the Democratic side have their heels dug in that I think he decided to go with Congress instead of his original game plan. I read (and I think posted) some time ago that Congress wouldn't be dealing with this legislation this year and I think the President is just facing reality about that. I think President Obama is as committed to an amnesty program as President Bush was though, and I still think they are both wrong.
0 Replies

High Seas

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:44 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate - the Catholic nun mentioned in the NY Times link posted just before your post has been flooded with donations already - and that editorial only came out this morning! This is no joke.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 02:48 pm
@au1929,
Spot on!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:26 pm
@au1929,
au1929 wrote:

Why you ask?Because without it any law we pass would be an exercise in futility.
waiting for the border to be air-tight is waiting til eternity passes. I'm pretty damn sure new immigration policies/laws could be passed early than that. Anyone who has any knowledge of the US/Mexico border and thinks it could be made air-tight is a ******* idiot.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It is encouraging that YOU are talking about tight enforcement of borders. I thought you and O'moron were on the same page.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:32 pm
Quote:
President Obama believes that our broken immigration system can only be fixed by putting politics aside and offering a complete solution that secures our border, enforces our laws, and reaffirms our heritage as a nation of immigrants. He believes our immigration policy should be driven by our best judgment of what is in the economic interest of the United States and what is in the best interest of the American worker. President Obama recognizes that an orderly, controlled border and an immigration system designed to meet our economic needs are important pillars of a healthy and robust economy.

Strengthen Border Control

President Obama will protect the integrity of our borders by investing in additional personnel, infrastructure, and technology on the border and at our ports of entry.

Improve Our Immigration System

President Obama will fix the dysfunctional immigration bureaucracy and enable legal immigration so that families can stay together.

Remove Incentives to Enter Illegally

President Obama will remove incentives to enter the country illegally by preventing employers from hiring undocumented workers and enforcing the law.

Bring People Out of the Shadows

President Obama supports a system that allows undocumented immigrants who are in good standing to pay a fine, learn English, and go to the back of the line for the opportunity to become citizens.

Work with Mexico

President Obama will promote economic development in Mexico to decrease the economic desperation that leads to illegal immigration.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/immigration/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 03:33 pm
@Advocate,
actually it's me and O'moron that are on the same page, other dick-heads are on different pages.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:12 pm
@dyslexia,
It's not based strictly on border security; it's also about enforcing laws once they arrive.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:14 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You mean making sure they don't break the speed limit or smoke a joing... right?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:15 pm
@ebrown p,
Whatever laws they have established by congress concerning illegal immigrants.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 04:20 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So ignoring laws that don't apply to illegal immigrants, like the ones you break, is OK then.
0 Replies