What should be done about illegal immigration?

au1929

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:35 pm
@roger,
Stll alive and kicking. Nice of you to ask. After my last brush with my maker I find it difficult to get back in the swing of things. Old age sucks
Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:38 pm
@au1929,
au1929 wrote:

Old age sucks

It isn't for sissies, that's for sure. But it does give us a perspective that those who have experienced history only in the history books will never have.
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
(As an aside, foxfyre, we didn't mean to lose you on the NFL Superbowl thread. I hope you can join us by, um, 45 minutes from now).
Advocate

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
This may be a bit complicated for you, but the fence in Germany divided a single country. This is not so in Israel. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:50 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

This may be a bit complicated for you, but the fence in Germany divided a single country. This is not so in Israel. Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Well, I've lived here nearly 60 now, studied not only history at some universities here but poltical sciences as well.

It's not only complicated for me but totally unknown.

Thanks for the information.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 02:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

(As an aside, foxfyre, we didn't mean to lose you on the NFL Superbowl thread. I hope you can join us by, um, 45 minutes from now).

NFL superbowl thread? What NFL superbowl thread. Will look for it and advise El Stud.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:48 pm
@Foxfyre,
We forget that before 1848 the American southwest belonged to Mexico. With the signing of the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, Mexicans became
illegals.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@JLNobody,
I thought they all became US citizens when the land they stole from the Indians became part of the US.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 04:59 pm
@roger,
Actually, roger, the land was stolen by the Spaniards already before 1821 - like the English etc stole it before the USA were formed.
roger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:02 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Yeah, and I think the French were in there somehow, too.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:08 pm
@roger,
We nearly could have stolen Venezuela (Holy Roman Emperor Charles V gave the sovereignty to the Welser family) ...
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:12 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

We nearly could have stolen Venezuela
(Holy Roman Emperor Charles V gave the sovereignty to the Welser family) ...

OK !

Good luck with that !

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 05:18 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
That started in 1528 but ended before it really became THE big deal in1556 with the death of Charles V.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 07:19 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Shocked Is this a joke?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:15 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

That started in 1528 but ended before it really became
THE big deal in1556 with the death of Charles V.

Maybe its not too late; give it a shot.
See what happens.

I vest sovereignty over Venezuela in U, Walter.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:16 pm
@roger,
That's right, Roger. Sloppy of me. I was just thinking that after we took the southwest from Mexico, Mexicans who are coming here now are no longer traveling within their country.
There IS some French involvement. Maximilian (sp?) must have left some of his staff and army in the New World upon his execution
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2009 11:18 pm
@roger,
That's right, Roger. Sloppy of me. I was just thinking that after we took the southwest from Mexico, Mexicans who are coming here now are no longer traveling within their country. We must keep in mind that most Mexicans are mestizos, an amalgam of Spanish and Indian. As such they are both the thieves and the victims of the Conquest (1521)
There IS some French involvement. Maximilian (sp?) must have left some of his staff and army in the New World upon his execution.
Advocate

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 09:45 am
The population of the USA is swelling to an unsustainable size, and this is mostly the fault of immigration. We must stop the illegals from coming in and expell those already here. We should also reduce legal immigration.

For instance, the country is rapidly running out of clean water. Large parts of the country are expected to almost run dry by 2020. In some parts, supplies that go back to the ice age are rapidly being depleted, and cannot be replaced. There is no substitute. Thus, we must stop population growth as much as possible.

At any moment, the moron O'Bill will weigh in with his desalinization argument. He will cite SA, which gets much of its drinking water this way. However, drinking water is a tiny part of the water we need -- e.g., for sanitation, irrigation, industry, etc. He is also the jerk who said that the USA could easily accomodate billions more in population.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 11:24 am
@Advocate,
Tell me, O'Bill, what are the prospects of deporting Advocate and his ilk? It certainly would benefit the country. But, then, it would probably violate some constitutional right, and we could not support that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

But, then, it would probably violate some constitutional right, and we could not support that.

It really might be that the constitutional rights of citizens in other countries would hinder "the import" ...
0 Replies