dyslexia and anarchism

Chumly

Reply Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:35 pm
Hi Finn d'Abuzz,

It's true I have been known to take a few liberties with the scope of a thread, and allude to the considerations of defining one's terms. Thankfully I am alone in this regard and everyone else is very well behaved (little bit of sarcastic humor).

Recall however, that neither you nor I defined anarchy, nor did I state or infer my argument was one of anarchy. All I said was "I will make a partial, and future idealized counter, by suggesting that if the world's population was sparse enough, and the technological level was self-sustainingly high enough, that a quantifiable and sizable reduction in overall government could be achieved without it being a net negative."

In other news today: to define one's terms by exclusion is not a definition as per your tree analogy. Now I am just being argumentative for it's own sake, which it just plain immature and another foible only I fall prey to (little bit of self-depreciating humor).
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Thu 13 Apr, 2006 07:24 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Montana wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Montana wrote:
Just found this and haven't read through, but it sounds good to me, Dys :-)

I rest my case.

Do you get off picking on me?

Not at all. Do you get off feeling that people are picking on you?

Not at all. Offended is what I tend to feel!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:58 am
There are probably as many definitions of anarchy as there are of democracy, republicanism, fascism, communism. Those terms are defined here on A2K, and, more to the point, more on the late abuzz, in ways that no political science prof anywhere would recognize.

Now, that sounds like anarchy!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
You make an superb point, and it's exactly why I said to Finn d'Abuzz, (despite his protestations as per what anarchy may or may nor be) that I have alluded "to the considerations of defining one's terms". By that I meant we need to have a common ground on what we consider to be anarchy and/or anarchistic

Also in my dialogue to Finn d'Abuzz, I pointed out the potential for less government is arguably more anarchistic. But that is as far as I went in lashing down a common meaning.

So let's have it out in the open for all to see. What the **** is anarchy and/or anarchistic?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:31 pm
Anarchy:
Absence of any form of political authority.
Political disorder and confusion.
Absence of any cohesive principle, such as a common standard or purpose.

A state of lawlessness and disorder (usually resulting from a failure of government)

Anarchistic:
The theory or doctrine that all forms of government are oppressive and undesirable and should be abolished.
Active resistance and terrorism against the state, as used by some anarchists.
Rejection of all forms of coercive control and authority: "He was inclined to anarchism; he hated system and organization and uniformity" (Bertrand Russell).

It seems to me however, that the word is more widely interpreted than the above as "plainoldme" suggests, but it is a start.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:35 pm
As per Wikipedia, we can expand on Anarchy:

In anarchism:
a desired form of human interrelationship based upon voluntary cooperation, without coercion or control of others (this is what my ddialogues to Finn d'Abuzz refer most to)

In sociology:
Anomie, called popularly Anarchy, a social condition that refers to the breakdown of the government

In international relations:
Anarchy is a theoretical view of international relations that posits that the world system is fundamentally leaderless and without a single, coercive, hierarchically superior power.

In history:
The Anarchy, a period of civil war during the reign of King Stephen of England
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 Apr, 2006 10:17 am
Chum -- Your first definition -- absence of any form of political authority --opens up a pretty big can of worms. I am going to put my can opener into the drawer for the time being, because I do not want to be accused of wrecking the thread.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 01:17 am
Chumly wrote:
Hi Finn d'Abuzz,

It's true I have been known to take a few liberties with the scope of a thread and allude to the considerations of defining one's terms. Thankfully I am an iconoclast in this regard and everyone else is imminently well behaved (a little playfully sarcastic humor)

Recall however that neither you nor I defined anarchy, nor did I state my bias was one of anarchy. All I said was "I will make a partial, and future idealized counter, by suggesting that if the world's population was sparse enough, and the technological level was self-sustainingly high enough, that a quantifiable and sizable reduction in overall government could be achieved without it being a net negative."

Further to define one's terms by exclusion is not a definition as per your tree analogy. Now I am just being argumentative for it's own sake, which it just plain immature and another foible only I fall prey to alas (a little self-depreciating humor)

Word to The Wise - If you must identify self-deprecating humor, it loses a great deal of its effect. Avoid, as best you can, emoticons and parenthetical explanations of your wit.

As for a definition of anarchy, I am content with Webster's.

You are certainly free to diverge from the thrust of a particular thread, but you can hardly fault participants for assuming you are remaining within the framework of a thread if you do not announce your change in course.

Skip the too-cute assertions that those who respond to your postings within the context of a given thread have somehow been misdirected by your clever feints. No one really cares to examine your posts that closely.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 02:14 am
Rather comical that you should be telling me what and how to write, do entertain me some more please!

Pray tell, on what higher authority do you make your claims as per correct and incorrect posting protocols?

Also given that one must assume you are a self-styled expert on the subtleties of posting protocols, would you be kind enough to share with me the secrets of your impeccable usage of italics and bolding?

Extra Brownie points if you defer to either god or an institution of presumed higher learning.

Instead of appreciating the character of my conversational post and looking to the positive contribution, you have instead relied on disingenuous feeble self-styled critique.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:24 am
Wow! I better leave A2K because I know my posts certainly don't meet up to Finn's expectations.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 06:07 pm
Montana wrote:
Wow! I better leave A2K because I know my posts certainly don't meet up to Finn's expectations.

Please, please do.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:43 pm
Nah, I think I'll stick around, but you can continue to bite me if it pleases you.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:46 pm
Hang around, Montanna. You're prettier than him. And less full of it.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:50 pm
Montana,

Finn is a piece of work ... I wouldm't spend too much time worrying about what he says! No one else does!!!

Anon
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
Awww shucks, Edgar :-D
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:52 pm
Yah Montana!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:53 pm
Anon
I'm not worried about him in the least. I'm just not quite as shy in speaking my mind as I use to be ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:55 pm
You just are much more fun than that old fuddy duddy :-D
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 08:57 pm
Montana wrote:
Anon
I'm not worried about him in the least. I'm just not quite as shy in speaking my mind as I use to be ;-)

I know! Kick him in the nuts!

Anon
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2006 09:00 pm
I don't know, Anon. When I look at all the bandaids he has on his face already, it seems that someone may have already beaten me to it.
0 Replies