50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

Wolf ODonnell

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:07 am
I assume the "50,000 errors in the Bible" comment is from a site that is biased against Christianity. In search of a page for contradictions in the Bible, I got this:

http://www.carm.org/islam/Koran_contradictions.htm

Yes, it's from a site that has a biased agenda against Islam, but hey... so was the one that dalahow2 presented... or was it Raul-7?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 07:11 am
With the National Geographic issue and the special broadcast of the Gospel of Judas, the errors appear to be understated. It's not just little nit-picky errors, it's the big contradictions that throw a monkey wrench into the works for theologians. I wish I had a buck for every cleric that has tried to explain away those discrepancies to me. I was very close to an Episcopalean priest in my college days and, therefore, to several other clerics in the sect. They shyed away from even attempting to explain.
0 Replies

RexRed

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:21 pm
muslim1 wrote:
real life wrote:
Still waiting for the list of 50,000 errors in the Bible.

Anybody seen it?

Anyone? Laughing

Remember, these must be ERRORS, not 'things you don't like about the Bible', or 'things you think should have been written differently', or 'things that are left out that you think should be in', or 'things in the Bible that you think should be left out'.

OK, now that is clear.

Looking for ERRORS in the Bible.

Anyone seen the list of 50,000?

Let's compare the following two verses of the Bible:

- "The children of Adin, four hundred fifty and four." (Ezra 2:12)
- "The children of Adin, six hundred fifty and five." (Nehemiah 7:20)

And the question is: How many were the children of Adin? 454 or 655?

If Adin lived beyond the time of Ezra then that could easily account for the addition of children recorded by Nehemiah...

So it is only a contradiction in our understanding...

Next...
0 Replies

RexRed

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:25 pm

That would add up to an average of about 20 errors per page? Can someone do the math?
0 Replies

aperson

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:31 pm
muslim1 wrote:
aperson wrote:
These lines are written by two different people. Maybe one of them made a typo?

Is there a way to know what is written in the Original Manuscript?

I don't think so.

I'm sure some of you have read "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Now, I don't no what's fiction and what's fact in this, but is it possible that, as Dan Brown potrays, that the officials of some empire morphed and/or excluded parts of it?
0 Replies

RexRed

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 01:45 pm
aperson wrote:
muslim1 wrote:
aperson wrote:
These lines are written by two different people. Maybe one of them made a typo?

Is there a way to know what is written in the Original Manuscript?

I don't think so.

I'm sure some of you have read "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Now, I don't no what's fiction and what's fact in this, but is it possible that, as Dan Brown portrays, that the officials of some empire morphed and/or excluded parts of it?

The entire book of Dan Brown is complete fiction except for some pagan references...

His book crumbles the greater spiritual meaning of the Christ in us and replaces it with simply another bloodline and monarchy of human tyranny...

Something Christianity was completely opposed to...

We have Christ in us through a spiritual belief not through another bloodline that only separates people.

The Da Vinci code is nothing but pure speculation and subtle fabrication that truly undermines the unity that we have in Christ Jesus.

If Dan Brown knew the first thing about the superior epistle logic of Paul the apostle, through revelation from God, the Da Vinci code would never have been written...

The book is a nice story but a joke.

Who needs another monarchy to separate people into castes by some watered down blood theory... That is a "religion" with no teeth.

We are part of Christ because of spiritual birth not physical birth.. this is the very first thing a objective Christian should learn...

Phooey on you Dan Brown...
0 Replies

aperson

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:14 pm
It may be complete garbage, but it's still a damn good book.
0 Replies

RexRed

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
aperson wrote:
It may be complete garbage, but it's still a damn good book.

I will agree with you on that.

But should spiritual truth be sacrificed for a good story?
0 Replies

aperson

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 02:35 pm
Well maybe Dan Brown should have stated more clearly that it's an entirely fictional story.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:08 pm
It's sold in the fiction section and the blurb notes and reviews denote it as fiction. The lawsuit against him was by the writer one of the non-fiction book he used as reference (they lost the case).
Dan Brown did an extensive amount of research with his wife to write the novel. It isn't a novel based on a true story in the sense that "In Cold Blood" was a meticulous retelling of those murders but if one wants to read all the bibliography, they might change their mind as to how much of the novel is fiction.
0 Replies

Michael S

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:24 pm
RexRed wrote:

The Da Vinci code is nothing but pure speculation and subtle fabrication

Not too much unlike another well known book that is often passed off as fact.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:36 pm
It hasn't been passed off as fact -- the books and documents it is based on, if scrutinized, could be but one would have to absorb a lot of material. Thousands of pages of material. Anyone here ready to do that research? I didn't think so. A lot of talking heads today.
0 Replies

Michael S

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 03:53 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It hasn't been passed off as fact -- the books and documents it is based on, if scrutinized, could be but one would have to absorb a lot of material. Thousands of pages of material. Anyone here ready to do that research? I didn't think so. A lot of talking heads today.

Too true, the Da Vinci code is not passed off as fact, I was reffering to the other book which is also in my opinion "nothing but pure speculation and subtle fabrication".
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:31 pm
It's not the only source and is an extrapolation of evidence but without reading all of the bibliography, one cannot refute their conclusion -- you can't summarily dismiss it because you don't want to believe it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:11 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
It's not the only source and is an extrapolation of evidence but without reading all of the bibliography, one cannot refute their conclusion -- you can't summarily dismiss it because you don't want to believe it.

It is possible but not probable that there is a holy physical bloodline left by Jesus Christ regardless it is inferior to the doctrine in the Bible about a "spiritual" bloodline or family...

The epistle doctrine was formed to rid the world of human tyranny to provide a spiritual not physical guide...

For people to ignore this spiritual guide for another form of human tyranny [holy kings] is contrary to every word in the epistles of Paul.

Christians are born of spirit not blood...

The book is not only a fake biblically it is contrary to the Bible's message...

For this reason the doctrine of the Da Vinci code only tries to assemble a following of new religion that is inferior to that of Christianity but it also detracts from spiritual understanding.

It is no wonder the church fathers threw out the codices of Nag Hammadi...

They were written so many years later that it is obvious that the spiritual understanding of the Bible was lost (to them) and they resorted to a bloodline over a spiritual line...

Ro 8:1
There is therefore now no condemnation [judgement/wrath] to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:17 pm
Michael_S wrote:
RexRed wrote:

The Da Vinci code is nothing but pure speculation and subtle fabrication

Not too much unlike another well known book that is often passed off as fact.

But the integrity of the doctrine leads to nowhere in the Da Vinci code but to a world aristocracy... (more like malarky)

The integrity of the Bible's doctrine leads to eternity with God...

You choose...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:30 pm
Still haven't refuted the conclusion of all the evidence in "The Da Vinci Code." Because church authorities have thrown out large portions of the original scriptures doesn't prove a thing. They also initiated the Spanish Inquisition and the killing of Protestants by Catholics, among other atrocities.
0 Replies

RexRed

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:56 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Still haven't refuted the conclusion of all the evidence in "The Da Vinci Code." Because church authorities have thrown out large portions of the original scriptures doesn't prove a thing. They also initiated the Spanish Inquisition and the killing of Protestants by Catholics, among other atrocities.

You don't need "the church" to tell you the truth read the Nag Hammadi library yourself.

The Nag Hammadi doctrine stands in total contradiction to the inspired word of God and is a farce...

It is sorely inferior and ignorant in it's conclusions and breaks the word of God...

The gentiles had suffered horribly under Judean aristocracy for many centuries.

Do you think it would have been popular and prudent to create a new aristocracy?

No...

The epistle logic (of Paul) puts the spirit (via God's guidance) in the drivers seat not a bloodline... (thus a democratic God whose access is free to the willing...)

This Nag Hammadi library and anything that proceeds it is simply crap...

(Yes, Nag Hammadi is a window into history but a window to a page better left in vain obscurity...)

The Bible does not condone murder but it is a treasure of spiritual wisdom worth guarding with your own spiritual life...
0 Replies

aperson

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:25 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Too true, the Da Vinci code is not passed off as fact, I was reffering to the other book which is also in my opinion "nothing but pure speculation and subtle fabrication".

Sorry what's this book?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Wed 19 Apr, 2006 06:31 am
RexRed wrote:
The integrity of the Bible's doctrine leads to eternity with God...You choose...
That is a simple exposition of faith. How can we choose, when a muslim says just the same about the koran, and a jew or hindu the same about their sacred texts? At least Dan Brown's book was a good read (if actually copied from a much better book the Holy Blood and the Holy Grail), more than can be said for the koran or the bible.
0 Replies