50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

Leadfoot

Wed 10 Feb, 2016 05:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You manned up about it. I'm impressed.
0 Replies

vikorr

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I was interested in reading the story directly from the book but Mo insisted that the Quran is never to be translated and I can't read Arabic. And neither do most Muslims.

I heard something similar from a guy at work.

But both Quran.com and noblequran.com have english translations.
Leadfoot

Sun 8 May, 2016 10:54 pm
@vikorr,
That is true, but Muhammad and true scholars of Islam do not consider translations legitimate. Muhammad never authorized any translation. The final word of Islamic clerics on that goes:

Quote:
The book in which the Quran (the words of God) are contained in is called a mushaf . The Quran is considered so unique in content and style that it cannot be translated; therefore, any translation is considered an interpretation of the meanings of the Quran.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 06:46 am
I read the Bible in the original languages, have a graduate degree in it and have studied it for years. That errors thing is dumb to say. The Catholic position on the Bible is NOT Sola Scriptura, which is the entire basis of your false claim anyway.
Leadfoot

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 08:38 am
@AugustineBrother,
I guess you are addressing the OP but in general it would help if you included a quote of what you were responding to.

I've always thought that if the bible contained the truth of God that he would preserve it in a way that could be understood by any man who sincerely sought it. Whether that is with the help of the Holy Spirit or not I can't say, but it is there for anyone who seeks it. Learning Hebrew and Greek is optional.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Thu 30 Jun, 2016 09:25 am
@dalahow2,
If you were logical you would ask the first question that would be asked in most refereed debates; Do you think that educated, intelligent, converts who are Bible readers accept that these errors exist.

Due to my background as a monk who studied the Bible at a Pontifical University I can be fairly sure that I know the Bible way better than you do. And I don't find errors. In fact, as a Catholic I don't accept that my interpretation is always the right one, which you most certainly do.

0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Wed 13 Jul, 2016 01:39 pm
@dalahow2,
dalahow2, you are one of the silliest people on here. You look really dumb by not finding even ONE drop-dead objection and going with that.
When someone quotes huge numbers like that they are showing their fat buttocks in the store window.

Really, 50.000 but not one that will do the trick by itself ?
0 Replies

hingehead

Mon 18 Jul, 2016 10:02 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/be/7e/b9/be7eb98ea975453956455f6d98943a77.jpg
MontereyJack

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 12:17 am
@hingehead,
Extremely good point, as usual, hinge.

Personally, Ifind it hard to get beyond the first chapter of Genesis. Recent estimates of the number of stars in the universe say 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000, a number so big we don't, as far as I know, have a name for it. And it seems probable that the majority of them have planets, so we can up that number another order of magnitude, for celestial bodies in general. I find the notion that there is some being, somewhere, somehow able to create (how and out of what?) all those1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 b odies and their fantastically complex ecosystems in one day, and is still hanging around 14 billion years later, definitely on the preposterous side.
AugustineBrother

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 06:01 am
@MontereyJack,
Always safe to talk to the mirror, huh, cheesehead.

You find it preposterous because never having got past Genesis you do not know that the Israelites were way ahead of your lazy self

When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars that you have established;
4 what are human beings that you are mindful of them,
mortals[a] that you care for them?
5 Yet you have made them a little lower than God,
and crowned them with glory and honor.
6 You have given them dominion over the works of your hands;
you have put all things under their feet,
7 all sheep and oxen,
and also the beasts of the field,
8 the birds of the air, and the fish of the sea,
whatever passes along the paths of the seas

God turns out to be infinite and all good, much to much for a lazy black-hearted know-it-all.
MontereyJack

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 09:13 am
@AugustineBrother,
That does not in any way answer my point. Insult me again and I will start answering in kind.
Leadfoot

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 09:36 am
@MontereyJack,
What was that point?
0 Replies

hingehead

Tue 19 Jul, 2016 12:19 pm
@MontereyJack,
Ad hominem is the first resort of those without a coherent argument.
0 Replies

AugustineBrother

Mon 8 Aug, 2016 04:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
It does answer your point and that is what bothers you.

Leadfoot says 'What was the point?"

0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 8 Aug, 2016 04:27 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
That errors thing is dumb to say.

Well, what about the story of Balaam's ass. That scenario is kind of unlikely.
AugustineBrother

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:05 pm
@Glennn,
But two things make it likely

1) you don't know the genre of the story...did early readers take it as factual

2) A ventriloquist can make it 'appear' like a wooden dummy is speaking, why not an angel or such

3) God can make it appear or actually be that way without the necessity of the donkey becoming a speaking donkey

At any rate, you should know that none of this is of the Faith or can be. It effects nothing. The Holy Spirit speaks through the writers and that is all you must maintain

St Augustine says it this way:

" all [ are ] free to read Scripture and take from the text whatever the Holy Spirit inspires for our good. But we must neither claim to know the author’s intention nor assert a universal and definitive meaning of any text. The former is known only by the Holy Spirit. The latter belongs to the Church alone.
AugustineBrother

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 12:07 pm
@dalahow2,
Here is what I find with my students who do not believe there own assertions: They tend to find thousands of reasons -- NB Never just one reason -- because they have not one argument that would suffice of itself.

Others are mislead by you but I see you pellucidly clearly. You don't believe a word you say.
0 Replies

Glennn

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 01:20 pm
@AugustineBrother,
Quote:
1) you don't know the genre of the story...did early readers take it as factual

I'm afraid that that is neither here nor there concerning the issue of whether or not it is an error.

I've pointed an error out to you, and you start making excuses for the error. The fact is, it is an error.
cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 01:23 pm
@Glennn,
Diversionary tactics such as ABs is childish at best. He needs to answer your questions, then provide his opinion to support it.
AugustineBrother

Tue 9 Aug, 2016 01:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But the Catholic Church's position has always been that you can't decide on the Truth until you know what is being said.

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/most/getchap.cfm?WorkNum=216&ChapNum=10

Before reading any book of Scripture, we need to determine the genre being used. The genre may even vary within a biblical book. Pius XII put it this way in his great encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu (1943): "What is the literal sense in the words and writings of the ancient oriental authors is often not so obvious as with writers of our time. For what they meant to signify by their words is not determined only by the laws of grammar and philology, nor only by the context; it is altogether necessary that the interpreter mentally return, as it were, to those remote ages of the East, so that, being rightly helped by ... history, archeology, ethnology, and other fields of knowledge, he may discern ... what literary genres ... those writers of the ancient time wished to employ and actually employed."

SEEMS UNDENIABLE TO ME...if you started your reply with
once upon a time" I wouldn't say you are lying but you would say I am lying.
0 Replies