50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:18 pm
@Harry Blake,
But if it wasn't interpreted correctly, then how can you call it infallible?

And why would a god give its words to humans who would interpret them incorrectly? Or was the god unaware of the capacity of those humans to interpret its words correctly?
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:23 pm
@Glennn,
Stranger things have happened within the christian religion.
Harry Blake

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:27 pm
@Glennn,
said- "But if it wasn't interpreted correctly, then how can you call it infallible?
And why would a god give its words to humans who would interpret them incorrectly? Or was the god unaware of the capacity of those humans to interpret its words correctly?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The human mind hadn't the processing power to handle some of the awesome heavenly thoughts and words of God and put them on paper in human terms, but they gave it their best shot anyway, and we have to make allowances for that.
Jesus said as much- "You hardly believe me when I tell you earthly things, so how would you believe me if I told you heavenly things?" (John 10:38)

Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
So true . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:29 pm
@Harry Blake,
You posted,
Quote:
"You hardly believe me when I tell you earthly things, so how would you believe me if I told you heavenly things?" (John 10:38)

Rather, he has already told of "heavenly things." https://www.openbible.info/topics/heaven

Were all those lies in the bible?
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:33 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
Because when we factor in the human element we have to make allowances for their occasional inability

But it wasn't we who neglected to factor in the human element; it was the god who neglected to factor that in.
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:36 pm
@Glennn,
God's neglect is universal. LOL
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:39 pm
@Harry Blake,
You seem to be implying that even though the humans didn't interpret the god's words correctly, it is nevertheless the truth.

Could you provide an example of scripture that we need to make allowances for?
Harry Blake

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:39 pm
@cicerone imposter,
said "Rather, he has already told of "heavenly things." Were all those lies in the bible?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------

If you tried to explain quantum physics to an Amazonian native tribe, you could only go so far with the basics, but would have to stop short of going into all the fine details because they simply wouldn't be able to grasp it.
Same with Jesus, he only went so far but stopped short of confusing people with the details-
"I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....you are of this world, I am not of this world..." (John 8:14/ 8:23)
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
God's neglect is universal.

Well, that means that he is at least consistent in some respects.
0 Replies

Harry Blake

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:44 pm
@Glennn,
said- "You seem to be implying that even though the humans didn't interpret the god's words correctly, it is nevertheless the truth.
Could you provide an example of scripture that we need to make allowances for?"

--------------------------------------------------------------

You seem to be the one having trouble with interpretations, so perhaps it'd be better if you told us which passages and verses you have trouble fathoming?
Most people find Jesus easy enough to understand..Wink-
"And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:47 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
If you tried to explain quantum physics to an Amazonian native tribe, you could only go so far with the basics, but would have to stop short of going into all the fine details because they simply wouldn't be able to grasp it.

So, what you're saying here is that, given a choice as to when and to whom it would offer its words to, the god chose a time when people were so primitive in their thinking that they believed that killing animals, and then offering up the corpses to the god was the way to please it. Why would a god choose such a time to reveal its words?
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:50 pm
@Harry Blake,
Quote:
You seem to be the one having trouble with interpretations, so perhaps it'd be better if you told us which passages and verses you have trouble fathoming

Sure. It's a matter of inconsistency. Is it true that the god is able to create beings, but is unable to destroy them after their physical death?
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 09:53 pm
@Glennn,
Here's a good list on the contradictions in the bible.
http://contradictionsinthebible.com
0 Replies

Harry Blake

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:02 pm
@Glennn,
said- "..given a choice as to when and to whom it would offer its words to, the god chose a time when people were so primitive in their thinking that they believed that killing animals, and then offering up the corpses to the god was the way to please it. Why would a god choose such a time reveal its words?"
-------------------------------------------------

The Jews were far from perfect but were at least slightly more civilised than the heathen nations, so they were therefore the best of a bad bunch to send prophets to, and at least they had a fairly good run before they were eventually roughed up or killed..
But if God had sent prophets to the red indians they'd have been scalped within 5 minutes.
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:09 pm
@Harry Blake,
Boy, it sure sounds like the god didn't think things through before trying its hand at creation. It wasn't long before its own creation made it so angry that it drowned them all.
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:11 pm
@Glennn,
There is no geological proof that a world flood ever existed.
Glennn

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
But for those who believe that there was a flood, they are faced with the fact that the god's creation was terribly unsuccessful. In fact, it was so unsuccessful that it had to resort to anger and destruction to satisfy itself.
cicerone imposter

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:25 pm
@Glennn,
Geologic scientists also prove there never was a world flood.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_geology
0 Replies

Harry Blake

Sun 7 Feb, 2016 07:49 pm
Author Isaac Asimov was a professor of biochemistry at Boston University, and apart from writing sci-fi he also published science books. In one he speculated that the biblical Flood was caused by a huge meteorite splashing down in the Indian Ocean, sending a tsunami up the Tigris/Euphrates valleys that washed Noah's Ark up to Turkey..Smile

And a TV docu a few years ago examined the 10 Plagues of Egypt and concluded that they may well have really happened, but that they were caused by freakish weather conditions etc.
Christians countered by saying "Ah but God himself controlled the weather"..Smile