50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

Thomasking

Mon 11 May, 2009 12:54 am
@xingu,
Hey you know I look at everything that you posted but not once did you say what religion you was....why? I thought it says don't judge others and to not bear judgement upon others for belief or anything else? The way I look at it let people believe what they want to believe, you don't have to advertise or put down a religion based upon what you want it to say. Did you not believe in santa or the easter bunny? Religion is what you feel in your heart and spirit not what comes from others. So if you don't know what your talking about please shut-up because not all things are interpreted to what you want it to say or believe. I don't mean to be rude or even sound rude but religion is religion no matter who or what you are. What do people have now-days to believe in but religion? Please feel free to email me at [email protected] and again sorry if I sound harsh but religion is a strong subject to be talking about.
0 Replies

this-gospel

Mon 15 Dec, 2014 03:48 am
@dalahow2,
Only 50,000???

For unbelievers, the entire Bible is full of Contradictions and foolishness.

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. (1Cor 1:18)
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 03:17 pm
@muslim1,
Quote:
I have a question regarding the topic of the thread: "50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is the Bible God's Word?":

Let's compare the following two verses (in KJV):
- "And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen". (I Kings 4:26)
and
- "And Solomon had four thousand stalls for horses and chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen; whom he bestowed in the chariot cities, and with the king at Jerusalem". (2 Chronicles 9:25)

Did Prophet Solomon (Peace be upon him) have forty thousand or four thousand stalls?

Very good detail.

Both books, Chronicles and Kings are HISTORICAL BOOKS.

Historical books are not DOCTRINAL books, but can be included in a doctrine as examples of the action and reaction of the different characters playing in history. For example, a good king enjoyed a longer life because he obeyed the word of his god.

There are typos by lots in the ancient writings.

This is not a case of pronunciation mistake because there is a considerable difference between the pronunciation of the words arba'ah and arba'iym.

The typo is similar to the source of your claim. While KJV appears to point the number "forty thousand" to the book of 1 Kings 4:26, when you use the Hebrew Tanach you will find the number "forty thousand" in 1 Kings 5:6.

Now, I ask you, which one is correct, the KJV 1 King 4:26 verse or the Hebrew Tanach 1 King 5:6 verse?

Which one you want to use?

About your question, no doubt that the writer was HUMAN and he (they) made mistakes. But, are you sure that human mistake(s) can affect the whole doctrine found in the bible?

Be aware that the Torah is the base foundation of the Muslim religion as well. And so far, you have a big vacuum from Moses to Mohamed where one could read and be aware of how God choses Muslims over Israelites.

With errors by lots, the Israelites have a continued relate of their position as the chosen people. I would like to read from Muslims the records showing their branch historical records... and errors (typos) will be accepted as well.

Here an example of how Christians explain the error.

http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/joshua-esther/how-many-stalls-horses-did-solomon-have-4000-or-40000

Quote:
There are two possible explanations for this discrepancy. 1) A copyist error. 2) The difference is due to time; that is, one account is at the beginning of Solomon's reign (1 Kings 4:26) and the other at the end (2 Chron. 9:25). I believe the most probable is a copyist error since we can see that Chronicles does have copyist errors in other areas. Therefore, it is probable that the same thing occurred here.

"In general it can be said that the books of Chronicles furnish approximate numerical estimates in the form of round numbers, frequently designed, as has been remarked, to express the magnitude of the occasion . . . Some estimates in Chronicles which appear to be particularly inflated can be corrected or scaled down by reference to the books of Samuel and Kings...However, it is not always the case that the figures in Chronicles exceed their counterparts in Samuel and Kings."1 The correct answer is probably 4,000 since 40,000 seems extraordinarily large. Furthermore, it seems likely that a single "10's" place was copied incorrectly accounting for the discrepancy.

0 Replies

carloslebaron

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 03:41 pm
@muslim1,
Quote:
Question on the topic:

Let's compare the following two verses from the Bible (KJV):

- "The children of Zattu, nine hundred forty and five." [Ezra 2:8]

- "The children of Zattu, eight hundred forty and five." [Nehemiah 7:13]

So, how many were the children of Zattu? 945 or 845?

According to the Tanach, the numbers mentioned by Nehemiah exceed those in Ezra because the numbers reflect the number of families 36 years later.

In other words, the number of the families were updated.

This explanation can be accepted, why not?
farmerman

Fri 2 Jan, 2015 07:53 pm
@carloslebaron,
then, on the other hand, believers say the Bible is the inerrant word of a deity (who apparently cant understand spellcheck?).
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 4 Jun, 2015 06:12 pm
http://i.imgur.com/KanRp.jpg
Ionus

Thu 4 Jun, 2015 10:06 pm
Is anyone asking which of the 50 or more so versions of the Bible are we talking about ? They are all copyrighted by the way .
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:53 pm
@hingehead,
Typical straw man. Though the English words Nazirite and Nazarene have similar spellings, the Hebrew scriptures were written in (wait! hold it!) Hebrew! The town Nazareth was also named En Nasira or Nazeret.

Try to find a contradiction with some scholarly teeth instead of thumbing through your picture album.
Ionus

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:11 pm
@neologist,
The word Nazarene was applied to Sampson so it goes way back, before Nazareth the town .
hingehead

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 04:04 pm
@neologist,
Sorry Neo. I guess I took it on faith, and I guess we all know badly that turns out.

Sorry too that you feel the pictures reduce your chances of preening but I'm way past arguing on these topics in A2K. No one's mind is changed I just share things I think are interesting or thought provoking. They don't necessarily reflect my thoughts.
neologist

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 04:08 pm
@Ionus,
Sampson was a Nazirite
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 04:11 pm
@hingehead,
There are legitimate questions about the bible.
If the world was created to be perfect, what the heck happened?
It's hardly a straw man, though there is an answer
InfraBlue

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 05:29 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

There are legitimate questions about the bible.
If the world was created to be perfect, what the heck happened?
It's hardly a straw man, though there is an answer

More, precisely there are canned questions about your interpretation of the bible and their attendant responses and there are questions about the bible itself, e.g. its authorship, the motivations behind its various books, etc.
neologist

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 05:34 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
More, precisely there are canned questions about your interpretation of the bible and their attendant responses and there are questions about the bible itself, e.g. its authorship, the motivations behind its various books, etc.
OK.
Be precise.
InfraBlue

Sun 7 Jun, 2015 07:25 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
OK.
Be precise.

In regard to yours, your question was specific enough. Regarding the ones I'm referring to there are questions as to the authorship and redaction of the Pentateuch , the motivation behind the writing of the book of Revelation, etc.
neologist

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:08 am
@InfraBlue,
Do you require me to first discover a question, then answer it?
What about the Pentateuch?
Moses penned it.
What about John's authorship of Revelation?
He was directed to write by holy spirit.

I suppose you may have more in mind. But.
Be precise
InfraBlue

Mon 8 Jun, 2015 10:34 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Do you require me to first discover a question, then answer it?
What about the Pentateuch?
Moses penned it.
What about John's authorship of Revelation?
He was directed to write by holy spirit.

I suppose you may have more in mind. But.
Be precise

Those were precise enough, thanks.
0 Replies

vikorr

Wed 17 Jun, 2015 11:10 pm
@dalahow2,
I wonder why, when a person from one religion posts about errors in 'the competition', that they don't point out the same basic problems in their own?
--------------------------------------------------
- Islam wasn't written by Mohammed, who couldn't write

According to the traditional narrative, several companions of Muhammad served as scribes and were responsible for writing down the revelations.[10] Shortly after Muhammad's death, the Quran was compiled by his companions who wrote down and memorized parts of it.[11] These codices had differences that motivated the Caliph Uthman to establish a standard version now known as Uthman's codex, which is generally considered the archetype of the Quran we have today.

Any narrative by multiple people, especially those written years after the fact, are going to have differences and contradictions. This problem exists in both the Bible, and Islam. One could argue on a Time Vs Contradiction scale, that the problem is more glaring in Islam when the Bible is written over thousands of years, but the Quran / Sunna / Haddiths, what, 150 years?

However there is a very simple explanation for the contradictions in both religions - human nature. Humans are prone to error / perceptual differences / memory recall problems / wanting to improve things / wanting to use things for their own ends...etc.
--------------------------------------------------------

The Islamic concept of Abrogation was developed to cover the glaring contradictions in the Quran between peace verses and jihad verses.

The life of Mohammed makes is clear that as his political circumstances changed, so did his teaching, starting with pure peace and ending with convert or die...whether you put that down to Allah's abrogation or political convenience as Mohammed gained more & more political power...is up to the individual.
---------------------------------------------------------
- the Sunna also wasn't written by Mohammed (obviously, given the nature of the book)
----------------------------------------------------------
- the Haddiths, carried by word of mouth from Mohammed's followers until they were gathered up and compiled from decades to over 200 years later later... can be notoriously unreliable, with scholars having to 'grade' their reliability...but weight is given to them in religious interpretation by scholars.

By the 9th century the number of hadiths had grown exponentially. Islamic scholars of the Abbasid period were faced with a huge corpus of miscellaneous traditions, some of them flatly contradicting each other. Many of these traditions supported differing views on a variety of controversial matters. Scholars had to decide which hadith were to be trusted as authentic and which had been invented for political or theological purposes. To do this, they used a number of techniques which Muslims now call the science of hadith.
----------------------------------------------------------

As the Quran contains little to no context, and no chronology - context must be obtrained from the Sunna and Haddiths, and chronology implied from both...leading to scholars having to be the ones to make rulings on what particular Quranic texts means...with those scholars arguing amongst themselves...but the OP here throws stones at his 'competitor religion' because the Chronology & Context of his competitor religion are there for an ordinary person to see, and so open to the ordinary person to criticise?

It's quite disingenuous.

-------------------------------------------------------------

In the end, I'm think it would be nice if a God existed (but not essential), yet if an Allah does exist, I doubt very much it's the version supplied by Christianity, nor the version supplied by Islam.
0 Replies

GorDie

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:04 pm
@dalahow2,
is this an original post? or are you quoting an imbicil?
FBM

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 06:06 pm
@GorDie,
GorDie wrote:

is this an original post? or are you quoting an imbicil?

I don't know about dalahow2, but I am.