50,000 Errors in the Bible...Is Bible God's Word??

neologist

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:01 pm
@FBM,
I think it's almost unfair to answer Gor.
He even answers Squeaky and Patches.
Give him time; he'll find Romeo.
FBM

Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:27 pm
@neologist,
I based that on the content of the storm of posts he's scattering around, not just that one.
0 Replies

anthony1312002

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 08:11 am
@dalahow2,
Could you provide an example of an error contained in the Bible?
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 09:06 am
@anthony1312002,
Dalahow has not posted in 8 years. I think he is still using the men's room. But he did include links in the OP.
anthony1312002

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:14 am
@neologist,
LOL! Hope he's okay. You know, I've had a chance to look at examples of errors in the Bble like the ones listed on these sites. But in the light of a thorough and unbiased investigation, it becomes clear that what are thought to be errors actually amount to ones misunderstanding the texts being considered. For example, some have mistakenly assumed the postion that the 6 days mentioned at Genesis 1:1-31 were literal 24 hour days. But when doing further investigation a point is revealed at 2 Peter 3:8 which says: ''However, do not let this escape your notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day.'' This ties back to what is said at Psalm 90:4

These texts reveal that according to the Bible, each of the creative days mentioned were in fact much longer than 24 hours. Possible that each day may have been several million years in length. It's research that helps to reveals items thought to be errors amounting only to due to ones having only a partial knowlege of what the Bible really teaches.
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 10:26 am
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:

Could you provide an example of an error contained in the Bible?

I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to have this discussion because a believer will always turn a blind eye or completely ignore all the arguments if not just plainly dismiss them outright with no counter argument that makes any sense.

It is a fact that the bible not only has dozens of errors, but hundreds of them. But like I already said, a believer will just outright dismiss them because they come in with a bias that there are no errors or mistakes.

Regardless of all these facts, the stories themselves don't mesh with a god that is suppose to be so powerful or knowledgeable about the world or existence. Many of these stories portray a god that lacks knowledge or wisdom and is a reactionary rather than behaving as if it understands or already knew the outcome of events.

Here is an example, the tower of babel. A god that understands the laws of physics would have known it would be impossible for people to construct a tower made of earthen bricks to the "heavens". Anyone who understands physics would be well aware that such a structure would collapse under it's own weight due to the limitations of the materials being used.

Therefore a god becoming angry over men attempting to build a tower to heaven just seems out right childish. He would have known they would fail without any need to intervene however ancient man didn't have this knowledge so it seemed perfectly reasonable to be able to construct a tower.

Not only that but we have already gone into space, so where exactly would they have ended up with this tower had it not collapsed? They wouldn't have been able to climb it without passing out. People who climb mt Everest have a difficult time due to the lack of oxygen. This would also be something that God would be aware of yet no mention of it.

They wouldn't have even been able to carry the bricks up to the top after a certain height because the effort would have been too extreme given the altitude. This is also knowledge that bronze age men did not have yet they assumed that oxygen levels are the same no matter the altitude.

So where exactly would they have ended up? In space? Where is heaven? If heaven is outside the universe then why would god even be upset knowing it would have been impossible. Even the thought, the nerve of man trying to construct a tower to heaven wouldn't even arise because the impossibility of it. So to get offended is just plain silly. However; like stated before ancient bronze age men didn't have this knowledge.

It proves that men are the plot makers of how god behaves. And they rely on their own knowledge for how god should behave or react. There are dozens of these examples that just don't make any sense.
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:02 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
Here is an example, the tower of babel. A god that understands the laws of physics would have known it would be impossible for people to construct a tower made of earthen bricks to the "heavens". Anyone who understands physics would be well aware that such a structure would collapse under it's own weight due to the limitations of the materials being used.

Therefore a god becoming angry over men attempting to build a tower to heaven just seems out right childish. He would have known they would fail without any need to intervene however ancient man didn't have this knowledge so it seemed perfectly reasonable to be able to construct a tower.

Not only that but we have already gone into space, so where exactly would they have ended up with this tower had it not collapsed? They wouldn't have been able to climb it without passing out. People who climb mt Everest have a difficult time due to the lack of oxygen. This would also be something that God would be aware of yet no mention of it.

They wouldn't have even been able to carry the bricks up to the top after a certain height because the effort would have been too extreme given the altitude. This is also knowledge that bronze age men did not have yet they assumed that oxygen levels are the same no matter the altitude.

So where exactly would they have ended up? In space? Where is heaven? If heaven is outside the universe then why would god even be upset knowing it would have been impossible. Even the thought, the nerve of man trying to construct a tower to heaven wouldn't even arise because the impossibility of it. So to get offended is just plain silly. However; like stated before ancient bronze age men didn't have this knowledge.
But that was not the point. The object of the builders was to avoid submission to heavenly authoriy, one command of which was to spread over the earth. The confusion of language accomplished that. BTW, linguists are hard pressed to advance any theory contrary to the idea that all language (and all religions) originated on the plains of Shinar.
Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:40 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
The confusion of language accomplished that. BTW, linguists are hard pressed to advance any theory contrary to the idea that all language (and all religions) originated on the plains of Shinar.

Which is absolute nonsense.
Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:46 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
But that was not the point. The object of the builders was to avoid submission to heavenly authoriy, one command of which was to spread over the earth.

It still doesn't make any sense to destroy the tower. For one an all knowing god would have previously known that his authority would not be followed so reacting after the fact is idiotic.

Knowing that the people would fail
Knowing that the tower would fail

To get upset is nothing less than childish. It is as if you knew that neither would happen. It doesn't make any sense if you are the creator of the universe to behave like that. How can you expect your creation to ultimately 100% follow a set of arbitrary rules? When you give them the ability to not? Statistics alone would reveal that there will always be a certain % that wouldn't. A god would have to understand this. To get upset by it would just be silly.

The bibles portrayal of god is not consistent with a divine being or some being with superior intellect.
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:47 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
You're good at thinking up examples. Give a few.
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:50 am
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
. . .The bibles portrayal of god is not consistent with a divine being or some being with superior intellect.
I dunno.
Smarter than me.
Better at grammar and spelling than you.
Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:50 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

But that was not the point.

What would be the point in the story then? I bet it will become a convoluted explanation that essentially proves my point anyways.

Why split the people and give them different languages? Because he didn't want them to be able to assemble to construct a tower to heaven. Which he should have known that they wouldn't be able to accomplish anyways. So splitting them up and creating new languages would be silly. Even if he has not done that they still wouldn't have been able to succeed so there is absolutely NO reason to punish them.
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 11:55 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Krumple wrote:
. . .The bibles portrayal of god is not consistent with a divine being or some being with superior intellect.
I dunno.
Smarter than me.

What word was wrong? How is the grammar wrong? This is just absurd. You can't reasonably counter my argument so you attack me on spelling and grammar when there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with either?
Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:01 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Krumple wrote:
You're good at thinking up examples. Give a few.

So one of the things that is nonsense is to suggest that ALL languages originated from the same location? But if this is the case then the inverse would also have to be true.

What is the inverse? It assumes that ALL cultures spoke the same language at one time? So the Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans, Australian Aborigines, ect all spoke the same language? Then when they assembled to construct the tower they were all punished and given different languages? That doesn't sound absurd to you at all? Not even in the slightest?

You mean to tell me the Aborigines traveled to the middle east to help build a tower for no reason? And were punished for doing so? Then went back to Australia after that?
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:09 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple wrote:
neologist wrote:
I dunno.
Smarter than me.
Krumple wrote:
What word was wrong? How is the grammar wrong? This is just absurd. You can't reasonably counter my argument so you attack me on spelling and grammar when there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with either?
I usually refrain from such jabs. But you were the one who brought up intellect.
You still haven't noticed?
You referred to 'bible' as a plural when you apparently meant possessive. I would have used the word 'biblical' instead. But that's just me.
neologist

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:17 pm
@Krumple,
Written language dates back only about 5000 years. Where do you wish to start?

Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:18 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
You referred to 'bible' as a plural when you apparently meant possessive. I would have used the word 'biblical' instead. But that's just me.

What is SO wrong about referring to the bible in a possessive form? Even if I'm wrong, splitting hairs over something so insignificant? Or does the badge on your arm compel you?
Frank Apisa

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:39 pm
@Krumple,
Neo was being a wise-ass...in a very nice and polite way.

You left the apostrophe out. Possessives of that sort require the apostrophe...so he made a joke of it.

It was trivial...but your rebuttal is every bit as trivial.
farmerman

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 12:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
50000 +1
0 Replies

Krumple

Thu 9 Jul, 2015 01:34 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Written language dates back only about 5000 years. Where do you wish to start?

Then what were the Chinese writing 6000 years ago?
0 Replies