And You Like This Guy So Much

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 09:34 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Rox,

The Pubs did a great job kicking ass this last election with their gay-hate campaign in 2004. It was a master stroke to get 11 states to get anti-gay measures on the ballots so they could get all their bigots out to the polls in strength. In time, it will snap them in the ass, but in 2004, hate politics worked like a champ for the bigot party!!

Anon

As I call myself a Republican, I was approaced by innumerable liberals with whom I am friends after the 2004 election, and they all asked me the same thing: "How could you people reelect George W. Bush?"

Well you know what? My answer never changed: "How could you people manage to not defeat him?!"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:00 pm
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:20 pm
Why do the Bush haters on here bother with polls about how popular he is?

Last time I looked,he cannot run for president again.

I would think that the time would be better spent developing a message,and finding the right messenger.

It seems to me that the dems are so worried about how popular Bush is that they arent developing and pushing their own message.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:33 pm
Francisco D'Anconia wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
Rox,

The Pubs did a great job kicking ass this last election with their gay-hate campaign in 2004. It was a master stroke to get 11 states to get anti-gay measures on the ballots so they could get all their bigots out to the polls in strength. In time, it will snap them in the ass, but in 2004, hate politics worked like a champ for the bigot party!!

Anon

As I call myself a Republican, I was approaced by innumerable liberals with whom I am friends after the 2004 election, and they all asked me the same thing: "How could you people reelect George W. Bush?"

Well you know what? My answer never changed: "How could you people manage to not defeat him?!"

I think my evaluation that you quoted summed it up quite well. The people running the Bush Campaign pulled off a master stroke to appeal to the Republican hate and bigotry. It worked beyond their wildest dreams! It's really that simple!

Anon
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 10:49 pm

Take a closer look MM. The poll includes Republicans in general, not just Bush.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 7 Apr, 2006 11:00 pm
edgarblythe wrote:

Take a closer look MM. The poll includes Republicans in general, not just Bush.

That may well be,but my point still stands.
I think it would be better to develop your message,instead of just harping on how unpopular someone might be.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:25 am
I am a Bush hating liberal, unable to discern his excellence, because blinded by partisanship. I am disloyal, dirt, and ought to leave the country. I only posted the poll to agitate your contempt gland.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 07:28 am
As a political sideliner I'd like to address how the polls might reflect how I vote in an upcoming election. By sideliner I mean that I stay in tune with what's happening politically, but I tend to not discuss or advocate much of what I think. I'm a moderate independent with Libertarian leanings and a conservative Republican upbringing.

The polls on a lame duck President would have no impact on my voting choice in the next Presidential election, with one exception. They reflect my decision to vote against any ultra conservative fundamentalist candidate that the Republicans might choose next time.The polls do reflect my inclination to vote in the congressional races.

From an overall political view I would say the polls reflect my view on the feelings of the legislative and executive branches both being controlled by the same party. In this case the polls indicate it's disastrous and changes need to be made. In the mid-term elections, I would definitely vote to get control of the congress away from the Republicans.

Republicans tend to vote for their party candidate, as do the Democrats. The swing vote is usually critical and is certainly reflected in the polls.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 08:53 am
Good to see your take, J_B.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sat 8 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
J_B wrote:

From an overall political view I would say the polls reflect my view on the feelings of the legislative and executive branches both being controlled by the same party. In this case the polls indicate it's disastrous and changes need to be made. In the mid-term elections, I would definitely vote to get control of the congress away from the Republicans.

I imagine there will be a lot of swing voters who have had it with one party rule.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 12:39 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
I imagine there will be a lot of swing voters who have had it with one party rule.

Maybe, maybe not. From 1954 until Reagan, the Democrats had a powerful majority of Congress, but the Republicans couldn't get a foothold. People seem to vote based on who they think will do a good job, not necessarily who's currently in power.

Then again, the Repulican party - or at least, those explicitly affiliated with the Bush administration - is taking serious heat from everyone. It'll be interesting to see what happens with the elections.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 12:54 pm
The thing about Reagan, he followed an exceptionally weak president, at a time when the Democrats were bloated with power and wasting their capital.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:12 pm
Asherman wrote:
Quite right, DontTread. My partisanisms are no more valid than those from the left ... it just seems more shocking, I think, because I don't generally go in much for that sort of thing. On the other hand, it feels somehow satisfying to sling some of the Bullshit back.

i wouldn't know, since i've never done that. Laughing Laughing

but, yeah, that's why i picked up on it. by the way, thanks. i keep learning a lot from your wealth of historical knowledge which translate into good starting points for my own research.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 04:25 pm
mysteryman wrote:

Last time I looked,he cannot run for president again.

I would think that the time would be better spent developing a message,and finding the right messenger.

It seems to me that the dems are so worried about how popular Bush is that they arent developing and pushing their own message.

your right about themessage and messenger part, mm.

but for me, at least, the polls are an important part of that message because the same ol' bunch of pols and talking heads are still trying to push the "crazy liberals" and "mainstream americans" routine.

with an approval of only 32-36% (depending on which poll), it's pretty clear that it's more than crazy liberals that think the guy's not cuttin' it.

yesterday, my dad, the lifelong conservative republican, actually called bush stupid. that's how bad it is for bush and his party.

now, the republicans also need to rethink their message. looks like the same old thing is being sold by mccain, allen, frist et. al..
0 Replies