Rethinking Homosexuality

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:03 pm
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
I sincerely doubt you have any professional experience or you wouldn't be saying what you are. You're a fraud!

Anon

Doubt all that you wish. It's as true as you are sitting there.

I maintain that suicide is an irrational, tragic act. You make light of it, calling it a 'blessing'.

Your view of suicide is a disgusting spectacle. Do you think a professional attitude toward suicide would mirror your own attitude? Any professional who took the attitude that you have exhibited would be a poor excuse.

You are a fraud, period!

Anon
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:17 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
I sincerely doubt you have any professional experience or you wouldn't be saying what you are. You're a fraud!

Anon

I maintain that suicide is an irrational, tragic act. You make light of it, calling it a 'blessing'.

Your view of suicide is a disgusting spectacle. Do you think a professional attitude toward suicide would mirror your own attitude? Any professional who took the attitude that you have exhibited would be a poor excuse.

You are a fraud, period!

Anon

Shout louder, with more emphasis. Maybe use bold letters and all caps.

Then maybe some will forget that you haven't yet provided a scintilla of evidence to back your position, but instead rely on baseless personal attacks.

If you spent half as much effort trying to show any factual basis for your position maybe you would have some credibility.

Show us one quote, just one from a medical professional, mental health professional or counselor, law enforcement official or educator stating that suicide committed as a result of social interaction is a 'blessing' , or has any positive aspect to it whatsoever. Jack Kevorkian wouldn't even take your case.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:22 pm
Here you go, real life, go to town.

WHO - quantifiying selected major risks to health

Not sure you're going to appreciate where that all leads.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:25 pm
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

You are a fraud, period!

Anon

Then maybe some will forget that you haven't yet provided a scintilla of evidence to back your position, but instead rely on baseless personal attacks.

If you spent half as much effort trying to show any factual basis for your position maybe you would have some credibility.

Show us one quote, just one from a medical professional, mental health professional or counselor, law enforcement official or educator stating that suicide committed as a result of social interaction is a 'blessing' , or has any positive aspect to it whatsoever. Jack Kevorkian wouldn't even take your case.

We're through talking about it on this thread, which doesn't deal with suicide.

Anon
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
real life wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

You are a fraud, period!

Anon

We're through talking about it on this thread, which doesn't deal with suicide.

Anon

We're talking about health risks among homosexuals. Suicide is a HUGE factor in that.

Open your mind.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Here you go, real life, go to town.

WHO - quantifiying selected major risks to health

Not sure you're going to appreciate where that all leads.

Thanks, ehBeth. Hmmm lots of info here and not enough time to scan it. Was there a specific portion you have already read that pertained to the life expectancy of homosexuals?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:43 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.

More smoke, Questioner?

Anything substantive to contribute yet?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:44 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.

Quite.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:48 pm
Yup, I've read quite a bit of it, and there is information that is relevant.

~~~~

Curious that you identify suicide as a health risk, real life. It's more of an outcome than an actual health risk.

~~~~

Now, there are identified risk factors for suicide for LGBT youth ...

Quote:
Risk Factors in GLBT Youth Suicide, compiled by Paul Gibson, L.I.C.S.W.

General: Awareness or identification of same-sex feelings at a relatively early age, sometimes even acceptance of homosexual orientation. Often conflicts with others related to this orientation, and/or problems in same-sex relationships.

Society: Discrimination/oppression of gays and lesbians by society. Portrayals or representations of homosexuals in the society as self destructive or hurtful to others.

Poor Self Esteem: Internalization of society's notions of LGBTs as sick, self destructive, sinful, spreaders of disease, molesters of children, and pathetic.

Identity Conflicts: Denial of same-sex feelings or orientation. Despair in recognition of same-sex orientation.

Family: Perceived or actual rejection, abuse, harassment of child due to LGBT orientation. Child's feelings of failure to meet parental/societal expectations.

Religion: Child's LGBT orientation seen as incompatible with family's religious beliefs in which youths feel sinful or condemned.

School: Harassed and/or abused by peers (and sometimes faculty and staff). Lack of supportive peers and adults, role models, and accurate information about LGBT life in the classroom.

Social Isolation: Stemming from rejection or fear of rejection by peers and family, social withdrawal, loneliness, and inability to meet others like themselves.

Substance Abuse: Substance use to relieve the pain of oppression and loneliness and to reduce inhibitions of same-sex feelings.

Professional Help: Inability or unwillingness to discuss issues related to same-sex feelings, and/or forced treatment to change LGBT orientation.

link

Suicide might not be such an issue for LGBT youth, if the risk factors were addressed.

~~~~~~

Acceptance and support will go a long way.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:50 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.

Quite.

Doc,

RL, all mouth, no ...

Anon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Questioner wrote:
real life wrote:
Open your mind.

Ironic, that.

Laughing Laughing

Laughing Laughing Laughing Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
I think this is probably RL's study material ...

www.godhatesfags.com

Anon
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
In the Bible, God does regard homosexual acts as sin.

Only male homosexual acts, may I point out. From what I've seen, God couldn't care less if girls go at it.

Hi Wolf,

That is incorrect. The Bible regards homosexual acts as sin, whether male or female.

*sigh*

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus%2018:21-23;&version=31;77;16;74;65;

The above search in five different Bible copies, says otherwise. I'll come up with more evidence from the other available copies and from that other passage in the New Testament, when I have the time.

Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Which of the six researchers who produced this study was a homophobe (how do you propose to show this?) and can you document that this individual was kicked out of an Association? (Was it a medical or scientific Association? Or maybe a Homes Association? Your accusation is pretty vague and comes off sounding anecdotal.)

And what about the other five?

You'll have to tell me. I thought you were referring (like you did the last time this conversation came up) to Paul Cameron, whom was discredited. Show us the studies and then I'll be able to tear it apart properly (which is I'm sure, what you are asking for me to do).

Also, neologist, where's your evidence?

From my experience, I can tell you that we're pretty much a healthy group of people.

Hi Wolf,

I don't remember ever discussing Cameron. Perhaps you can provide a link? Or maybe you were discussing with someone else?

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1345756#1345756

You're right. It was someone else. Could have sworn it was you, though.

Quote:
You could check here http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9222793&dopt=Abstract

for a brief treatment of one study that is pertinent.

Interesting, but that study doesn't state that the homosexual population in general has a lower life span. It states that those afflicted with AIDS have a lower life span, which is to be expected from a debilitating disease. Furthermore, it's only a study of men.

So therefore, this study only proves that if you're a man and have had sexual contact with men and have HIV, your life expectancy is decreased.

That's not the same as saying homosexuals in general have a lower life expectancy.

And I notice that whenever we tend to discuss homosexuality, those against it focus single-mindedly on male homosexuality. They kinda ignore lesbians as if they don't exist. Studies investigating anything related to homosexuality, tend to focus only on males. Discussion, tends to focus only on males. Arguments against, tend to focus only on males. Even the Bible focuses squarely on male homosexuals.

I'm not a female, but I can't help but feel that this focus is a bit unfair.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:56 pm
ehBeth,

Unfortunately, there are volumes of links regarding reasons why LGBT youth commit suicide, and they usually relate back to people like RL here!! Professional my fuzzy butt!!

Anon
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:08 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Professional my fuzzy butt!!

Too much information!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:09 pm
Wolf wrote: "And I notice that whenever we tend to discuss homosexuality, those against it focus single-mindedly on male homosexuality. They kinda ignore lesbians as if they don't exist. Studies investigating anything related to homosexuality, tend to focus only on males. Discussion, tends to focus only on males. Arguments against, tend to focus only on males. Even the Bible focuses squarely on male homosexuals.

I'm not a female, but I can't help but feel that this focus is a bit unfair."

That's a good point and I wonder why that is. Maybe it's because the majority of men love lesbians, yet some wouldn't give a gay guy the time of day.
You're right. It's not fair!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:12 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
BTW I still think that sex out of marraige is not a good thing.
How about masturbation?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 04:14 pm
Now that I think about it, it sure seems to me that lesbians are far more accepted in todays society than gay men are.
0 Replies