Rethinking Homosexuality

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:02 am
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and looking back, I feel like an intolerant prick. Recent events have introduced me to several homosexual people and since then I have continually scrutinized my beliefs. Previously, I was under the false notion that God hates homosexuality... which I no longer believe.

I used logical (logical in my mind :wink: ) reasoning to conclude that the only laws and rules that are worth having, are the ones that help to protect people....so who the heck is going to get hurt by gay people?

Any thoughts to further lead me out of this blind prejudice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 19,432 • Replies: 442
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:05 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
Re: Rethinking Homosexuality
Wow! Thunder! I haven't seen you for ages (although that probably has something to do with the fact that I haven't been here for ages either)! Welcome back.

thunder_runner32 wrote:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and looking back, I feel like an intolerant prick. Recent events have introduced me to several homosexual people and since then I have continually scrutinized my beliefs. Previously, I was under the false notion that God hates homosexuality... which I no longer believe.

I used logical (logical in my mind :wink: ) reasoning to conclude that the only laws and rules that are worth having, are the ones that help to protect people....so who the heck is going to get hurt by gay people?

Any thoughts to further lead me out of this blind prejudice?

Well, think of it this way. The more gay men there are, the more women there are available for you straight guys. Laughing

I'm afraid that I cannot help you much on this matter, despite being homosexual myself. It sounds to me, though, that your meeting of nice, friendly and all around decent homosexual people is doing the trick.

Like with Islam or Christianity or Satanism or what have you, you have to get to know the decent people in order to overcome any biased anti-whatever prejudices you have against said people.

All I can say is that getting to know homosexuals a bit more will probably lead you out of the prejudice.

After all, people who spend their time in multicultural societies are less likely to be prejudiced than those in monocultural societies.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
Thunder Runner,

I had to smile when I saw this. I, myself, am coming to a new understanding of homosexuality. Looks like I'm in pretty good company (that would be you, Thunder Runner).

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70640

Wolfie,

Maybe you could visit that thread? Maybe you can answer some of my questions.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:22 am
MA, I must thank you for reminding me that there are actually OTHER sections to this forum. I hardly visit the other sections. No, seriously. I'm most active in this one and the Politics one, despite the fact that it can't be good for my health.

I will visit that thread and provide my input, though it's probably nothing you haven't heard from me before.

And, you're coming to a NEW understanding? If you don't mind, would you please share with us?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
Oh yay! I forgot you were gay, Wolf, will be glad to have you there.

Everyone else I thought of inviting either hasn't been around lately or I wasn't completely sure if he/she was out all the way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
(A quick, doesn't-have-to-be-followed, I'm-just-saying request -- any chance of taking the conversation related to that thread TO that thread, to keep things in one place? Thanks!)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:28 am
Homosexuality and realestate values. In a recent study (conducted by myself) it was determined that homosexual couples (especially married ones) raise realestate values when they move into a residential neighborhood. It's a well known fact that homosexuals have excpetional skills at beautifying their homes both inside and out which does an outstanding job of improving the appearance of a neighborhood thus increasing property values. Want to get more when you sell? get a homossexual couple to move in next door.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
sozobe,

Be happy to take that conversation to the other thread with Wolfie. This IS Thunder Runner's thread and I'm not going to disrespect him.

dys,

Are you being facetious or is this fact?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:35 am
Does that work in reverse dys?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:37 am
It's pure anecdotal, as I'm sure I told you before. I have horrible taste in clothes and decorating houses.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:38 am
Thanks, Momma Angel, and Wolf too.

Momma Angel wrote:

dys,

Are you being facetious or is this fact?

Sometimes it can be both. (Dys is especially good at that...)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:41 am
spendius wrote:
Does that work in reverse dys?

Yes, in fact heterosexual couples are more likely to put refigerators and old trucks (and a 69 Camero) on blocks in their front yard thus lowering property values for everyone within 9 city blocks. It's a proven fact.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:11 am
In the Bible, God does regard homosexual acts as sin.

Usually the question arises 'who should care? nobody's getting hurt.' (similar arguments are used in regard to drug use)

You could start with the fact the homosexuals as a group have a significantly shorter life span than the population in general.

Also ANY sexually promiscuous lifestyle, homosexual or heterosexual, will inevitably contribute greatly to the spread of STD, including HIV/AIDS.

So, is it 'intolerant' to warn people about a lifestyle that contributes to sickness and is demographically associated with early death?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:15 am
You must LOVE lesbians, then. (Healthier than the general population; less promiscuous than the general population.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
It's pure anecdotal, as I'm sure I told you before. I have horrible taste in clothes and decorating houses.

You've never mentioned this to me before Wolf, are you a closet staight?
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:58 am
I also ran across a blurb in the newspaper about homosexual couples being 100 TIMES less likely to abuse children (adopted or from previous relationships)...that's crazy!

Quote:
Also ANY sexually promiscuous lifestyle, homosexual or heterosexual, will inevitably contribute greatly to the spread of STD, including HIV/AIDS.

I'm talking about responsible people who can wait to have sex with one partner....BTW I still think that sex out of marraige is not a good thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:16 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I also ran across a blurb in the newspaper about homosexual couples being 100 TIMES less likely to abuse children (adopted or from previous relationships)...that's crazy

I don't know about the exact proportion, but it makes a fair bit of sense <and has been discussed at A2K in the past>.

The homosexual couples <particularly those who adopted> have had to prove prove prove their ability to parent before being given that opportunity. They've had to fight for the right to be caring, loving parents. No "wham/bam oops here's a baby" for them. You're going to be less likely (IMNSHO - read too much in this area) to find an unwanted child in a home with homosexual parents.

~~~~~~~

this is from an interesting APA brief

Quote:
One manifestation of prejudice has been the allegation that gay men pose a particular danger to children. However, all available research data and clinical experience indicates that gay men are not more likely than heterosexual men to sexually abuse children. A study of children seen for sexual abuse in a one-year period at a Denver children's hospital, for example, found that less than one percent of the identified adult offenders were gay or lesbian. Of the 219 abused girls, only one instance of abuse had been attributed to a lesbian. Of the 50 abused boys, only one instance of abuse had been attributed to a gay man. In contrast, 88 percent of the offenders had documented heterosexual relationships and most were heterosexual partners of a family member (77 percent of those who abused the girls and 74 percent of those who abused the boys).35/

One source of confusion in this area is that many men who sexually abuse boys are not themselves homosexual. Rather, they are attracted, entirely or predominately, to children. These men have never developed a mature sexual orientation, either heterosexual or homosexual.36/ One study of 175 adult males who had been convicted in Massachusetts for sexual assault of a child found that 47 percent were exclusively interested in children, 40 percent were regressed heterosexuals, and 13 percent were regressed bisexuals.37/ None had an exclusively homosexual orientation, and none of those who were bisexual were primarily attracted to men.38/

Assertions to the contrary by Family Research Council and others cannot be considered reliable. These amici seriously mischaracterize research39/ and rely on dubious sources.40/ Their presumption that homosexual men are pedophiles is contrary to the legitimate research in the field, just as any such presumption about heterosexual men would be.41/

apa / psyclaw
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:49 am
Very interesting...

I have my own little theory as well...those that have come out and proclaimed their sexual orientation (in a society that has a majority that frowns on it) have no supressed feelings and have no need to release them on individuals who are easily taken advantage of (i.e children).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:49 am
Throwing in this link from the December 2005 APA Monitor issue <hopefully I'll remember where I've dropped it when I'm looking for it again>

http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec05/kids.html

ok, so the whole issue is interesting

The 21st century American family

Quote:
• Making working families work
• Stepfamily success depends on ingredients
• Meet the renaissance dad
• The kids are all right
• Adopting a new American family
0 Replies