Rethinking Homosexuality

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:57 am
Prejudice stems from a lack of empathy. I'm curious to see how mainstream christian groups will view these "disfunctional" families. We as Christians have fallen into a ritual thinking that I'm beginning to see is overtly backward in comparison to Jesus' message.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:08 pm
Some prejudice comes from a lack of knowledge, thunder_runner.

~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
"A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." (Jesus as quoted by John 13:34-35)

Love one another ... link ...Jesus Institute

and then the old-timers sang ...

Quote:
Love is but a song we sing
And fear's the way we die
You can make the mountains ring
Or make the angels cry
Though the bird is on the wing
You may not know why

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together
Try to love one another right now

Some may come and some may go
We will surely pass
When the one that left us here
Returns for us at last
We are but a moment's sunlight
Fading in the grass yeah

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together

If you hear the song we sing
You will understand
You hold the key to love and fear
All in your trembling hand
Just one key unlocks them both
It's there at your command

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together

Come on people now
Smile on your brother
Everybody get together

0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:03 pm
Cheers TR.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
real life wrote:
In the Bible, God does regard homosexual acts as sin.

Only male homosexual acts, may I point out. From what I've seen, God couldn't care less if girls go at it.

Quote:
You could start with the fact the homosexuals as a group have a significantly shorter life span than the population in general.

Provided by a study done by a known homophobe that was kicked out of the Association he belonged to. We've discussed this before. Plus, it was only one study and no other study since then has backed the evidence up.

Quote:
Also ANY sexually promiscuous lifestyle, homosexual or heterosexual, will inevitably contribute greatly to the spread of STD, including HIV/AIDS.

So?

Quote:
So, is it 'intolerant' to warn people about a lifestyle that contributes to sickness and is demographically associated with early death?

You are presuming a lot about homosexuals, based on studies performed by a homophobic bigot.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Prejudice stems from a lack of empathy. I'm curious to see how mainstream christian groups will view these "disfunctional" families. We as Christians have fallen into a ritual thinking that I'm beginning to see is overtly backward in comparison to Jesus' message.

Seeing this made getting out of bed today worthwhile!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue, TR.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:17 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:

I love you. :wink:
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:31 pm
thunder! Always nice to see threads like this. Smile Good stuff.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:56 am
dys wrote-

Quote:
Yes, in fact heterosexual couples are more likely to put refigerators and old trucks (and a 69 Camero) on blocks in their front yard thus lowering property values for everyone within 9 city blocks. It's a proven fact.

Well that's a good thing really because they get their accomodation cheap and have money left over for the finer things in life.Homosexual couples must have to earn more than heterosexual couples to have anything left for the finer things if their accomodation costs more.It stands to reason.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:26 pm
jb wrote:
Seeing this made getting out of bed today worthwhile!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this issue, TR.

lash wrote:
I love you.

flushd wrote:
thunder! Always nice to see threads like this. Good stuff.

Thank you. It is nice to uncover my previous ignorance among friends...and I love you to lash. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:02 pm
Very Happy
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
real life wrote:

Usually the question arises 'who should care? nobody's getting hurt.' (similar arguments are used in regard to drug use)

You could start with the fact the homosexuals as a group have a significantly shorter life span than the population in general.

Also ANY sexually promiscuous lifestyle, homosexual or heterosexual, will inevitably contribute greatly to the spread of STD, including HIV/AIDS.

So, is it 'intolerant' to warn people about a lifestyle that contributes to sickness and is demographically associated with early death?

You must LOVE lesbians, then.

Yes I do. Actually I love everyone.

sozobe wrote:
(Healthier than the general population; less promiscuous than the general population.)

Have you got an unbiased source that supports this? I rather doubt it, but I would be interested in seeing it if you do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:32 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:

Only male homosexual acts, may I point out. From what I've seen, God couldn't care less if girls go at it.

Hi Wolf,

That is incorrect. The Bible regards homosexual acts as sin, whether male or female.

Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:

Provided by a study done by a known homophobe that was kicked out of the Association he belonged to. We've discussed this before. Plus, it was only one study and no other study since then has backed the evidence up.................You are presuming a lot about homosexuals, based on studies performed by a homophobic bigot.

Which of the six researchers who produced this study was a homophobe (how do you propose to show this?) and can you document that this individual was kicked out of an Association? (Was it a medical or scientific Association? Or maybe a Homes Association? Your accusation is pretty vague and comes off sounding anecdotal.)

And what about the other five?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:31 am
Wolf, are you saying homosexuality is a healthy lifestyle and should be endorsed by the medical community?

God does not forbid homosexuality to deny happiness. He forbids homosexuality because, as our creator, he wishes to keep us from its consequences.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:41 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
It's pure anecdotal, as I'm sure I told you before. I have horrible taste in clothes and decorating houses.

Don't worry Wolf, there always has to be a black sheep you know !!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:44 am
neologist wrote:
God does not forbid homosexuality to deny happiness. He forbids homosexuality because, as our creator, he wishes to keep us from its consequences.

What would those be??

Anon
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:50 am
Anon-Voter wrote:
neologist wrote:

What would those be??

Anon

Well, for one thing, we have been discussing a reduced life expectancy. Try to keep up.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:11 am
You made the allegations first, real life, support away. All of 'em.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:15 am
Re: Rethinking Homosexuality
thunder_runner32 wrote:
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and looking back, I feel like an intolerant prick. Recent events have introduced me to several homosexual people and since then I have continually scrutinized my beliefs. Previously, I was under the false notion that God hates homosexuality... which I no longer believe.

I used logical (logical in my mind :wink: ) reasoning to conclude that the only laws and rules that are worth having, are the ones that help to protect people....so who the heck is going to get hurt by gay people?

Any thoughts to further lead me out of this blind prejudice?

Sounds like you're doing great all on your own :-D

Good thinking ;-)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:46 am
sozobe wrote:
You made the allegations first, real life, support away. All of 'em.
Well, there is a higher incidence of certain STDs and, in male homosexuals, colorectal cancer. Does any of that count?

I'm waiting for the AMA to give homosexual behavior its endorsement.

Never happen.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
Support?

Again, from what I've seen (I'll show you mine if you show me yours) lesbians are healthier than the general population there.

MEN, in other words, are less healthy than women. So obviously everyone should get a sex change, since being a man is unhealthy. And people should stop driving, since car accidents are a leading cause of death. And...

Meanwhile, this is what the AMA DOES say about homosexuality:

Quote:
H-160.991 Health Care Needs of the Homosexual Population.
Our AMA: (1) believes that the physician's nonjudgmental recognition of sexual orientation and behavior enhances the ability to render optimal patient care in health as well as in illness. In the case of the homosexual patient this is especially true, since unrecognized homosexuality by the physician or the patient's reluctance to report his or her sexual orientation and behavior can lead to failure to screen, diagnose, or treat important medical problems. With the help of the gay and lesbian community and through a cooperative effort between physician and the homosexual patient effective progress can be made in treating the medical needs of this particular segment of the population; (2) is committed to taking a leadership role in: (a) educating physicians on the current state of research in and knowledge of homosexuality and the need to take an adequate sexual history; these efforts should start in medical school, but must also be a part of continuing medical education; (b) educating physicians to recognize the physical and psychological needs of their homosexual patients; (c) encouraging the development of educational programs for homosexuals to acquaint them with the diseases for which they are at risk; (d) encouraging physicians to seek out local or national experts in the health care needs of gay men and lesbians so that all physicians will achieve a better understanding of the medical needs of this population; and (e) working with the gay and lesbian community to offer physicians the opportunity to better understand the medical needs of homosexual and bisexual patients; and (3) opposes, the use of "reparative" or "conversion" therapy that is based upon the assumption that homosexuality per se is a mental disorder or based upon the a priori assumption that the patient should change his/her homosexual orientation. (CSA Rep. C, I-81; Reaffirmed: CLRPD Rep. F, I-91; CSA Rep. 8 - I-94; Appended: Res. 506, A-00)

http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/14754.html#1
0 Replies