Dubai Ports: Shame on the Democrats!

blueflame1

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:06 pm
Finn, I realize you gotta justify Bushie's growing unpopularity. I really like it a lot that most Americans say he deliberately lied us into war. That is the right direction.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
He seems fine to me. Someone might want to save the previous two posts for good measure. Dys, do you have a choice of assisted living programs? You might want to make it public.

actually not cjhsa but based on your experiece what would you suggest? are you in a group home or still in an institution? Sorry to hear your mother could no longer cope with you living at home.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:16 pm
This is the same president that have successfully destroyed our close relationship with most of our allies. He still has balls.

Bush warns over port row 'signal'
President George W Bush has said opposition in the US to a deal giving a Dubai-based company control of six US ports sends a bad signal to allies.

Mr Bush said the United Arab Emirates was a "valued and strategic partner" in the US-led war on terrorism.

Dubai Ports World has agreed to cede control of the ports to a "US entity" after an outcry from lawmakers worried the deal would harm national security.

Meanwhile, US-UAE trade talks set for Monday have been postponed.

Officials from both sides downplayed the delay and said it was unrelated to the ports row.

Spokeswoman for the US Trade Representative's Office Neena Morjani said both sides were committed to the free trade talks but needed "additional time to prepare for the second round of negotiations".

The US and the UAE have been discussing a free trade deal since March 2005.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:19 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
This is the same president that have successfully destroyed our close relationship with most of our allies. He still has balls.

No, that would have been the press. We are not eurotrash, and with any luck, we never will be.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:17 am
cjhsa wrote:
We are not eurotrash, and with any luck, we never will be.

That's funny - or are you not aware of what 'eurotrash' is?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:52 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
parados wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
am I the only liberal/radical/anarchist/antichrist that supports having the UAE operating US ports?

Not at all. I am just enjoying those that cried '9/11' reaping what they have sown.

What they have sowed: Democrats jumping on an anti-Arab bandwagon for political purposes?
I guess that means the GOP created that bandwagon since the Dems could jump on it. :wink:

Quote:
What does crying 9/11 mean?

9/11 didn't happen?

9/11 was not as bad as Republicans say it was?

9/11 should not alter our foreign policy?

This is the utter hypocrisy of the Left:

"We have been saying for years that the Right has fear mongered based on 9/11, and so now that we are doing the same, it's the fault of the Right."

What an utter crock.

This isn't the Democrats alone fear mongering on this one nor is it all democrats. That quote I posted above was from Michell Malkin's site. What do you think Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and others have been doing for 4 years? They have repeated the cry of 9/11 whenever anyone raised any objections to Bush. Now they find they did it too well. You don't think we need port security after 9/11? You don't think Homeland security is an issue after 9/11? You don't think terrorism is an issue after 9/11? We can listen into phone conversations of anyone with ties to terrorists without a warrant. But suddenly the same people that say we will never deal with anyone with ties to terrorism are willing to let someone with more ties to Osama than Saddam run our ports.

Now you are claiming "anti arab" - I challenge you to find comments by Dems that this issue is one of "arab" only. It has to do with homeland security and ties to terrorism. There is little doubt that UAE had ties to Osama and terrorism. Some of those ties are in the 9/11 report.

As for the "anti arab" argument. I am finding that argument to be as disingenuous as others the right make. Show me that it is "anti-arab" on the part of the dems. I will bet you can't. Sure there are those here like Blueflame that will jump on anything Bush does. But no such thing from those in Congress. I heard one GOP congressman saying he got more calls opposing the ports deal from his constituents than he has on almost any other issue.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:35 am
parados wrote:

[...]It has to do with homeland security and ties to terrorism. [...]

I heard one GOP congressman saying he got more calls opposing the ports deal from his constituents than he has on almost any other issue.

That might be so - but why was (and is) no-one so worried about Inchcape Shipping Services: this Dubai company even provised security services for the US-Navy (besides working on 12 US ports with various jobs) - working in the US now since more than 16 years!
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:08 am
Mass Casualties in Collapse of Port Deal

by Jim Lobe
Pres. George W. Bush's fast-waning political authority is far and away the biggest immediate casualty in what the Wall Street Journal Friday called "a debacle of the first order."

http://www.antiwar.com/lobe/?articleid=8688 "(T)he question for the world is now whether the U.S., in fact, will be better off if this White House is forced to cede more power to Capitol Hill than any president would normally allow," asserted "The Nelson Report," a closely-followed insider newsletter, Thursday night.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:55 pm
I wonder if ebrown_p is one of those"Democrats" that consistently slam Democrats and praise Republicans on crucial election times likeZell Miller?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:06 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
parados wrote:

[...]It has to do with homeland security and ties to terrorism. [...]

I heard one GOP congressman saying he got more calls opposing the ports deal from his constituents than he has on almost any other issue.

That might be so - but why was (and is) no-one so worried about Inchcape Shipping Services: this Dubai company even provised security services for the US-Navy (besides working on 12 US ports with various jobs) - working in the US now since more than 16 years!

I think we both know the answer to this one. One made the news, the other hasn't. It's a good thing the RW talkers are mostly behind Bush on this one or it will be in the news and those GOP congressmen will be getting a lot more calls.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:38 pm
dyslexia wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
He seems fine to me. Someone might want to save the previous two posts for good measure. Dys, do you have a choice of assisted living programs? You might want to make it public.

actually not cjhsa but based on your experiece what would you suggest? are you in a group home or still in an institution? Sorry to hear your mother could no longer cope with you living at home.

Dys,

Actually, CJ had to move back in with Mom ... he needed her to help change since he developed that irritating little incontinence problem !! Embarrassed

Anon
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
ooooh, I didn't know AV had such a mean-streak. LOL
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
Us commie pinko faggs just can't help it, we're from SF, what would you expect ??

Anon
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
Ebrown has taken the appropriate position here. Well done.

Finn has defended it brilliantly.

Walter has repeatedly, tirelessly pointed out the utter hypocrisy in the counter arguments, but they've been largely ignored and never addressed in earnest.

Joe (I believe in the New York Times) Nation and IL (I'll rationalize any anti-Bush sentiment somehow)Z poked not a single, reasonable hole in it.

Anon (It's time to go to Washington with an arsenal of small to medium size weapons and clean house!!) Voter; reminds us to be grateful that: Lone-nut ≠ plausible conspiracy to commit treason. (I do hope the FBI has a file on him just in case anyone's unstable enough to consider his lead worth following)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:51 pm
"Pinko-faggs" heh? I'll have to digest that one for a few minutes. Wait, I already know; I'm a "yellow old geezer."
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:53 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Zippo wrote:
It is painfully obvious that the Zionists are having some of our ports turned over to an Arab company, to set up the patsy for the new super 9/11 that they have planned to hit our nation.

I think what Zippo has failed to consider in this scenario are the devious machinations of the Freemasons, the Illuminati, the Trilateral Commission, the grey aliens, the surviving members of the Bee Gees, and the reverse vampires.
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:23 pm
Crazy Bill,

I have to admit that I was wrong on this one. I happen to believe that the best and only way to really hit the U.S. with a nuke is to slide that sucker through in a container ship in a very busy port (Oakland would be a winner), and detonate there. Other ports would be great, but if they hit Oakland, they get both that and SF with one fell swoop and basically knock out a huge part of the West Coast incoming shipments. Oakland has THE LARGEST container lifts on either coast ... they moved them under the GG Bridge with something like a foot to spare at LOW tide. They move unbelievable amounts of tonnage.

Needless to say, I am a fan of Port Security. Giving security to anyone other than ourselves seemed foolish to me.

The worst mistake made in this fiasco was probably when Little George stomped his tiny feet and threatened congress with a veto ... stupid moron!! If Cheney had been doing his baby-sitting task correctly, he would have muzzled the Little Dictator and told him to keep his mouth shut. Oh well, hindsight you know!!

Now that I've looked at it, I think it was probably the wrong move, but you can just chalk it up to another misplay by the Little Dictator and his Big Mouth!! Another fubar by YOUR HERO!!

I think the funniest part is that one of your rightwing "GODS" of talk radio ... Sean Hannity ... is the one you rightwing geniuses can thank for this stupidity ... but ... stupidity and ignorance are rightwing cornerstones, so no one should be too shocked!!

Anon
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Pinko-faggs" heh? I'll have to digest that one for a few minutes. Wait, I already know; I'm a "yellow old geezer."

I'm afraid we're both old gezzers friend ... no escaping that!! It's not so bad ... at least we can go where we want, when we want, and not worry! That makes it all worth while!!

Anon
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:33 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
Needless to say, I am a fan of Port Security. Giving security to anyone other than ourselves seemed foolish to me.

I agree here, Anon.

As said, since about twelve years a Dubai does so for the US-Navy.

But what you are talking here about - namely the DP-World, has nothing at all to do with security.

I do wonder, how many of all you critics have ever seen how a port is run and what happens there why when, done by whom.

I still think, such is one of the misfortunes of globalisation, which other countries unfortunately had to discover long before you Americans realised what all this about.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

I agree here, Anon.

As said, since about twelve years a Dubai does so for the US-Navy.

But what you are talking here about - namely the DP-World, has nothing at all to do with security.

I do wonder, how many of all you critics have ever seen how a port is run and what happens there why when, done by whom.

I still think, such is one of the misfortunes of globalisation, which other countries unfortunately had to discover long before you Americans realised what all this about.

Yep Walter,

I was wrong on this one!! I took the Republican position (head up my ass, ask Crazy Bill, it's his normal position) rather than think about it. When the Little Dictator said he'd veto it, I had to wonder why?? Knowing it is his usual position to do what is profitable to him or his collegues, and not good for the U.S. , I figured it had to be bad.

It also was funny that the Republicans stood up after defeating it, and wanted to make sure that everyone knew that THEY were the ones that did it, and were not influenced bu the Democrats.

We've got a broken system here now, and I don't have much hope for it. Thank goodness we're bailing the hell out of here come warm weather. Do you visit Rome often? We should be there by July.

Anon
0 Replies