If you Like Your Freedoms, Thank a Protestor

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:04 pm
Published on Friday, February 17, 2006, by the Iowa City Press-Citizen (Iowa)
If You Like Your Freedoms, You Should Thank a Protester
by David Goodner

Call it "rebel reporting" or even "Jesus journalism," but next week I'll be in Washington, D.C., with members of the Catholic Peace Ministry and the Des Moines Catholic Worker. We'll be bearing witness as we get arrested for preaching inside the "No Free Speech Zone" directly in front of the White House.

Our nuanced anti-war protest on Feb. 27 also will include nonviolent civil disobedience training, a vigil in front of the Pentagon and the lobbying of Iowa congressmen.

The protest is part of a larger "Winter of Our Discontent" campaign organized by Voices for Creative Nonviolence, a Chicago-based group seeking to end military and economic war against Iraq. The Catholic Worker movement, founded in 1933 by Dorothy Day, emphasizes voluntary poverty, hospitality and good works.

Frank Cordaro, a 55-year-old retired priest and co-founder of the Des Moines Catholic Worker, will probably be serving six months inside a federal prison at the time of our protest, the result of a trespassing charge at Offutt's Air Force Base last December. Cordaro has racked up more than 100 arrests since his first act of civil disobedience in 1977 (a symbolic "blood spilling" at the Pentagon), and has already served more than 45 months of hard time in 12 states.

"Civil disobedience is as American as mom's apple pie," Cordaro said. "Historically, it is how we do social change in this country."

Brian Terrell, 49, a farmer from Maloy and the director of the Catholic Peace Ministry, said his pilgrimage to "the Imperial City" will be a continuation of the work he does here in Iowa. Terrell's resume includes arrests in Honduras and the West Bank. He references the abolitionist, labor, women's suffrage and civil rights movements as evidence that civil disobedience plays an important role in social change.

"If you like your freedoms, don't thank a soldier," Terrell said. "Thank a protester."

Renee Espeland, 44, a mother of four, also will be crossing the line in D.C. along with Des Moines Catholic Worker members Wendy Vasquez and Elton Davis. Davis said he began his career as a nonviolent prophetic witness three years ago, and is traveling to D.C. to register his discontent with the policies of the Bush Administration.

"I tried lobbying, things were still going haywire, and I decided I had to say no in the strongest terms possible," Davis said.

Davis was detained for trespassing at Offutt's in 2004, an action listed in a Department of Defense database as a "credible threat" to national security. Terrell's 20-year-old daughter, Clara, also garnered attention from the department for a similar action.

These seasoned prophets of the prairie subscribe to the civil disobedience model of social change because they believe it to be rooted in the biblical teachings of a radical, nonviolent, egalitarian Jesus Christ.

"It is very much a part of the Christian tradition to speak the truth to the powers that be and to break the law," proclaims Cordaro, citing the Palm Sunday and temple cleansing stories from the New Testament as evidence.

Of course, this crew of criminal clergy would be remiss if they weren't converting neophyte activists over to their dogma of disobedience and dissent. Marla McElvain, 29, a journalist from Grant City, Mo., is going to D.C. for her first direct action because she disagrees with the war and doesn't believe that we live in a democracy anymore.

"If enough of us get together, maybe [our elected officials] will finally get it," McElvain said.

Five students from Loras College in Dubuque will round out our group. Andrea Urbain, 19, and John McLaughlin, 22, are both devout Catholics who say that it's important for students to think critically about the war.

"When [critical thinking] is coupled with a peaceful conviction, we are bound to achieve something," McLaughlin said.

Both students also encourage young people to stand up for what they believe in.

"You can't just sit back and watch something bad happen," Urbain said. "You have to do something about it."

David Goodner is an Iowa City resident and a member of the Writers' group, a corps of local residents who write regular columns for the Press-Citizen.

© 2006 Iowa City Press Citizen
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,508 • Replies: 219
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
Quote:
"It is very much a part of the Christian tradition to speak the truth to the powers that be and to break the law," proclaims Cordaro, citing the Palm Sunday and temple cleansing stories from the New Testament as evidence.

Well, this guy does not speak for me. It is not part of my Christian tradition to break the law.

So, I would like to thank all of our beloved troops out there fighting for our freedoms, past, present, and future. God Bless You All!
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:20 pm
Then you don't know the Bible, Momma. Jesus was always causing trouble and rabble rousing - smashed the money changers table (John 2:15), John the Baptist was beheaded for questioning the authority of the Pharisees, which were basically a puppet government.

Why do you think the Jews hate Jesus so much?

Bless the troops all you like; that is your right. But to have a "NO FREE SPEECH ZONE" strikes me as very odd in a country that boasts free speech, don't you think? Were it not for protestors Americans would be losing a lot more rights. They are there to make sure YOU have the right to say what you like.

But these emails are probably being scanned by Homeland Security......
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:27 pm
Pachelbel,

I never said there should be a No Free Speech Zone, did I? I believe in freedom of speech. I do draw the line at breaking the law, as it is pointed out that these people have done. Breaking the law to uphold a law is not the way to accomplish anything. Killing abortion doctors doesn't stop abortions, etc.

And Jesus did not cause trouble, pachelbel. He spoke of peace and love. The rabblerousers were the ones that wanted Christ to set up a political physical kingdom. He was here to set up a spiritual kingdom.

So, I have no problem with anyone speaking their mind. I do have a problem with them breaking the law to do it.

As for John the Baptist losing his head, that would be the fault of Salome and King Herod. Christ had nothing to do with it. And, what Jews hate Jesus? None that I know of.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:31 pm
Re: If you Like Your Freedoms, Thank a Protestor
pachelbel wrote:

"If you like your freedoms, don't thank a soldier," Terrell said. "Thank a protester."

True, so true, because everyone remembers:

How the protesters fought the British at Breeds Hill, Lexington and Concord and how firmly those protesters stood against the English's finest troops at Yorktown and helped win our country.

Who could forget those brave, brave protesters sacrificing themselves in Washington D.C. so that Dolly Madison could evacuate the precious historical documents out of the White House during the War of 1812.
I'm sure we remember the brilliant stand made by the protesters under Andrew Jackson at New Orleans.

Who else remembers when Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan stood side by side in their efforts to take over the world, President Rossevelt's first call was to activate our finest protester units to hold back the tide of Fascism. Kaserene, Battan and Corregidor, Sicily, Iwo Jima, Normandy, Guadalcanal, Bastogne and Saipan, the brave and valiant protesters have left their blood in all these places.

When North Korea invaded the South, the protesters dug in at the Pusan Protest Perimeter and held back the North Koreans until more protesters could be sent from America to retake the South.

All over the world, protesters have died to protect our country and ... wait ... no they didn't. They stayed safe in the U.S., protected by men and women who daily sacrifice themselves so that those same protesters would have the right to spit in their faces and disparage all thet they fight and die for.

Before making foolish statements like this, get down on your knees and thank GOD that those soldiers stand those posts.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:35 pm
Amen Fedral!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Quote:

Well, this guy does not speak for me. It is not part of my Christian tradition to break the law.

So, I would like to thank all of our beloved troops out there fighting for our freedoms, past, present, and future. God Bless You All!

I can't speak for Christians & churches in other countries, but in mine they have played an important activist role in a number of important political & social campaigns: opposition to Australia's participation in the Iraq invasion, advocacy of a better deal for the poor & unemployed in the community, opposition to the federal government's repressive new industrial relations legislation, advocacy of a better deal for detainees in detention centres to name but a few concerns.....
Often when we march in political demonstrations about issues such as these, we are marching side by side with progessive Christians. As a result, they have a great deal of respect within the community. They are actually showing that they care about how people are treated & demonstrating that they are trying to create a better & fairer world for those who need that support, but often have very little real power themselves. I have the greatest respect for these progressive church folk. More power to them!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:56 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
And Jesus did not cause trouble, pachelbel. He spoke of peace and love. The rabblerousers were the ones that wanted Christ to set up a political physical kingdom. He was here to set up a spiritual kingdom..

<drawing on my extremely limited knowledge of the bible here>

But what about the incident at the temple? The money lenders, the over-turned tables, the anger ....? I thought he was being quite the activist, then?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:11 pm
I've been within the walls of the "Free speech Zones". I'm a protester. We relate to the Soldiers. We would never discredit them. I have never heard any protester say such a thing as "Thank a protester not a Soldier."Thats just crazy talk and I am sure all the Veterans I march with feel the same way. This statement is an extremely isolated one.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:13 pm
pachelbel wrote:
Why do you think the Jews hate Jesus so much?
Now that is well past Uranus! Prove to me that "Jews hate Jesus".
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:14 pm
Msolga,

Yes, He threw them out. Maybe this link will help explain it a bit.

http://www.compassionatespirit.com/JR-Hyland.htm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:26 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Quote:

If Jesus broke the law

and Jesus was Christ

and Christianity was based on Christ

how can it be that it is "not part of [the] Christian tradition to break the law."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:27 pm
Momma, if this is correct, I'm very heartened:

It was the cult of sacrifice that Jesus tried to dismantle, not the system of monetary exchange. In all three gospel accounts of the event, those who provided the animals for sacrifice are mentioned first: they were the primary focus of Christ's outrage.

A stand against animal sacrifice. How truly enlightened. But gosh, can you imagine if Animal Liberation or some other animal welfare group expressed their outrage toward similar acts of animal cruelty in this way, today? Now, they would be called extremists & would be promptly prosecuted! ! Seriously.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:29 pm
He was a brave, innovative thinker, who broke the law almost every day--on principle.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:35 pm
If you're going to claim His name and speak for Him and characterize Him----- Please become acquainted with Him.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
Stop it, Lash! Before you know it, you'll convert me! :wink:

Seriously, though, that's a side of the Jesus story which receives little emphasis now. In fact, it is activism on behalf of the oppressed. Radical in the context.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:40 pm
Lash,

I think you may find this link rather interesting. Christ didn't break any laws. It's a shame that some people actually think that He did.

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2001/20010301.htm

And, if your comment about knowing Him was directed at me, rest assured, I do know Him.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
Msolga,

Most explanations of Christ throwing out the moneychangers will explain it as more righteous indignation than anything. I found that explanation a bit deeper into the real truth.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:44 pm
Good luck, pachelbel. I am with you in spirit.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
That sentence about don't thank a soldier, thank a protester stood out for me too. Why not thank both?

When I think of Christian protesters breaking the law, one of the first things I think of is Martin Luther King Jr. and the other Christian civil rights workers practicing civil disobedience.
0 Replies