Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
Guess Antony should have had the class to keep his mouth shut, too.

AntonyFirst Citizen. Methinks there is much reason in his sayings.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:28 pm
woiyo

I see you've decided to roll your eyes.

Now, first, let's get our history right here. As I understand the matter, the wiretapping of King was ordered and initiated by Hoover. Does someone have data that the orders for this came from Bobbie or JFK?

In any case, the FISA laws were put in place to correct previous egregious assaults on Americans' civil liberties particularly, as I understand it, during the Nixon White House period but also in light of what had gone on previously with the civil rights movement.

All of which, rather obviously, puts Bush in a rather tenuous legal and moral position, particularly at the funeral for King's widow.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:43 pm
Oh yeah.

Let's ignore the law, but if anyone brings it up claim their side did it BEFORE the law was written.

It's such a great strategy that plays well to the 30% that want to believe it.

I love the argument that Washington did it too. (Before he was President and before the Constitution was written and before the telephone was even invented.) How dumb do we have to be in this country these days to fall for these arguments?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:44 pm
Well Blatham, it's pretty well known that Martin was a womanizer and with white women to boot. J Edgar HAD to wiretap him in the interests of national security.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
Then what was the purpose of bringing up the wire tapping if it was legal at the time?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:48 pm
Someone please explain to McG what the wiretapping issue is all about right now. He seems to think that it's either legal or illegal, regardless of process. I don't have the energy to help him just now...
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Isn't this really all about common decency and what is appropriate behavior at a funeral? I thought it was but I'm seeing it's becoming more than that.

Wasn't her funeral supposed to be about HER? Not about politics? Not about the war? Not about wire taps? I don't think Mrs. King's funeral was the appropriate venue for these issues.

Didn't watch it, did you Ma? Also, not aware of Mrs King's political activism, are you?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:53 pm
Snood,

No, I did not watch the complete funeral. I did catch some of it and I am, admittedly, not completely aware of her activism. I am one that believes things like this are not appropriate at funerals, etc. It's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:04 pm
Maybe, but this was no ordinary funeral. This was the funeral of someone who was a national hero.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:07 pm
blatham wrote:
woiyo

I see you've decided to roll your eyes.

Now, first, let's get our history right here. As I understand the matter, the wiretapping of King was ordered and initiated by Hoover. Does someone have data that the orders for this came from Bobbie or JFK?

In any case, the FISA laws were put in place to correct previous egregious assaults on Americans' civil liberties particularly, as I understand it, during the Nixon White House period but also in light of what had gone on previously with the civil rights movement.

All of which, rather obviously, puts Bush in a rather tenuous legal and moral position, particularly at the funeral for King's widow.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:09 pm
I hope no one ever said "He/She believed in the war" at one of those funerals for the over 2000 killed in Iraq.

We wouldn't want their funerals to be political platform either. I wonder why the Right hasn't gone to check those out to make sure they weren't political.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:32 pm
how inappropriate; to mention civil and political rights at the funeral of a champion for civil and political rights.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Snood,

No, I did not watch the complete funeral. I did catch some of it and I am, admittedly, not completely aware of her activism. I am one that believes things like this are not appropriate at funerals, etc. It's just my opinion. It doesn't make me right.

Momma,

If you knew who Mrs King was you would understand.

Talking about anti-war and civil rights activism at her funeral is as appropriate as talking about a relationship with God would be at yours.

At a funeral it is only natural to talk about what was important to that person in life.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:48 pm
ebrown_p,

Thank you for that explaining that to me. I was really starting to get the picture I was definitely missing something. I appreciate it!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:35 pm
I didn't realize that making petty stabs at the current administration was important to her life. That, too, is good to know.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:37 pm
I had an interesting experience that may be relevant (or a relevant experience that may be interesting).

A few years back my grandmother, with whom I was very close, passed away. She was deeply religious Christian.

In her funeral, the minister (who was her minister) gave a sermon about how death needed to remind us that we will all face God in judgment.

The service included the call for everyone who was not "saved" to come forward to accept Jesus into their heart ... right during the service.

Some members of my family were very upset by this-- feeling that the minister was using the emotional time to proselytize-- and that doing this was inappropriate during a funeral.

I didn't feel this way because I knew my grandmother. This is exactly what she would have wanted. It was a good representation of who she was and a big part of her life.

It seems to me that it is appropriate for the funeral to reflect what a person was about in life. By that time, I was no longer a Christian, but I understood the relevance of the ritual.

It certainly didn't bother me and I thought it was a fitting remembrance.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:47 pm
on the other hand, my grandfather, a solid atheist had reqested as he way dying to be creamated with his ashes strewn on the mountain canyon where he grew up. My aunt who lived nearby when he died and a "born again" christian took it upon herself to have a "christian funeral" with an open casket so that his body had a chance to rise to heaven. She had her preacher give the eulogy where he commented "I don't know why I am here because Ed hated me and everything I stand for" My brothers and I stood up and walked out feeling this was a vicious disregard to our grandfather's wishes.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
Wow. May God have mercy on your aunt.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 04:54 pm
Oh please don't bury me
Down in that cold, cold ground
No, i'd rather have you cut me up
And pass me all around
Throw my brains in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
The deaf can have
Both of my ears
If they don't mind the size . . .
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 05:10 pm
woyio wrote:
So no one finds the comments of Ted Kennedy ironic given the fact his OWN FAMILY was approving of the warrentless eavsdropping?

I knew this would eventually work its way into the conversation, but, tell me, has anyone mentioned the stained dress yet?
0 Replies