revel

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:26 am
Has the King family expressed any negative reactions to the speeches? If they haven't, then why do others presume to? Could it be they are "politicizing" the situation themselves? The pot calling the kettle black, I think.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:29 am
That's what I thought, revel.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
Well, the democrats, being the party of hate, can't bear to let a media moment pass by without spewing forth their jargon. It's expected. That's why Bush sat and took it all in.

I can't seem to recall much "anti-opponent" rhetoric at Reagan's funeral. That would have been an idyllic platform to put forth one's complaints with the Democratic party and their constituents... I wonder why no one did?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
revel,

Well, you just made one heck of a point. Call me a pot or kettle. Man, what a wake up call! Thanx! Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:38 am
Btw: States are rushing to limit when and where people may protest at funerals
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:48 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing

So true. If Bush & Co. allowed real political discourse, then hijacking the funeral wouldn't have been necessary. Although I feel Mrs. King would probably have been disappointed if folks hadn't taken the opportunity to put the wind up Bush.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
Corretta Scott King was a liberal. Martin Luther King was a liberal.

Liberals are very angry at Bush for what we feel he is doing to our country. If I die in the next couple of years, I want my anti-Bush anger given a prominant expression at my funeral.

Why shouldn't a funeral express the feelings and sentiments of the person who is being honored?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
And Boortz is the king of boorish, btw. In fact, I'd consider him an expert so perhaps we should listen this once....

Nahhhhhhh.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:52 am
These folks blasted Bush with a huge broadside.

C'mon... the best response any of these pundits can come up with is whining about the venue?

But... but... It's a funeral!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:00 am
The Right Wing will sieze on this as another opportunity to scream about how immoral the Democratic party is, how noone should do stuff like that at a funeral; and then turn right around and bring up 9/11 at every goddamn opportunity, but still act as if they don't profit politically off of the dead. The height of hypocrisy.

Quote:
I can't seem to recall much "anti-opponent" rhetoric at Reagan's funeral. That would have been an idyllic platform to put forth one's complaints with the Democratic party and their constituents... I wonder why no one did?

Because the whole thing was one huge right-wing love fest, with everyone sitting around talking about how Reagan began the Conservative revolution in America and how well things have gone since his days of Amazing leadership! You don't remember all the knob slobbering going on at the time?

CSKing and MLKing were activists who opposed war and opposed what the president was doing. Bringing these subjects up was entirely appropriate, and furthermore, everything that was said, was true.

Here's my post on the subject from another thread:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:
"She extended Martin's message against poverty, racism and war. She deplored the terror inflicted by our smart bombs on missions way afar. We know now that there were no weapons of mass destruction over there," Lowery said.

Fact check: true

Quote:
"But Coretta knew, and we know," Lowery continued, "That there are weapons of misdirection right down here," he said, nodding his head toward the row of presidents past and present. "For war, billions more, but no more for the poor!" The crowd again cheered wildly.

Fact check: True

Quote:
Former President Jimmy Carter later swung at Bush as well, not once but twice. As he talked about the Kings, he said: "It was difficult for them then personally with the civil liberties of both husband and wife violated as they became the target of secret government wiretaps." The crowd cheered as Bush, under fire for a secret wiretapping program he ordered after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, again smiled weakly.

Fact Check: True

Quote:
Later, Carter said Hurricane Katrina showed that all are not yet equal in America.

Quote:
Some black leaders have blamed Bush for the poor federal response,

Quote:
and rapper Kayne West said that Bush "hates" black people.

Quote:
Developing...

Amazing how upset you people get when people have the temerity to tell the truth.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:06 am
What?! You mean they talked about Reagan at his own funeral? The bastards.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:01 pm
Surprisingly I have to fall on the sides of the liberals on this one.

Went back to look at MLK's eulogy of the four little girls killed in the 16th Street Baptist Church bombing

Martin Luther King wrote:
These children-unoffending, innocent, and beautiful-were the victims of one of the most vicious and tragic crimes ever perpetrated against humanity.

And yet they died nobly. They are the martyred heroines of a holy crusade for freedom and human dignity. And so this afternoon in a real sense they have something to say to each of us in their death. They have something to say to every minister of the gospel who has remained silent behind the safe security of stained-glass windows. They have something to say to every politician [Audience:] (Yeah) who has fed his constituents with the stale bread of hatred and the spoiled meat of racism. They have something to say
to a federal government that has compromised with the undemocratic practices of southern Dixiecrats (Yeah) and the blatant hypocrisy of right-wing northern Republicans. (Speak) They have something to say to every Negro (Yeah) who has passively accepted the evil system of segregation and who has stood on the sidelines in a mighty struggle for justice. They say to each of us, black and white alike, that we must substitute courage for caution. They say to us that we must be concerned not merely about who murdered them, but about the system, the way of life, the philosophy which produced the murderers. Their death says to us that we must work passionately and unrelentingly for the realization of the American dream.

Also looked at Benjamin May's eulogy of MLK figuring if Coretta had issues with politics in eulogies, she probably would have indicated them at MLKs funeral. No instead...

Benjamin Mays wrote:
The Memphis officials must bear some of the guilt for Martin Luther's assassination. The strike should have been settled several weeks ago. The lowest paid men in our society should not have to strike for a more just wage. A century after Emancipation, and after the enactment of the 13th, 14th and 15th Amendments, it should not have been necessary for Martin Luther King Jr. to stage marches in Montgomery, Birmingham and Selma, and go to jail 30 times trying to achieve for his people those rights which people of lighter hue get by virtue of their being born white. We, too, are guilty of murder. It is time for the American people to repent and make democracy equally applicable to all Americans. What can we do? We, and not the assassin, represent America at its best. We have the power - not the prejudiced, not the assassin - to make things right.

Personally, I wouldn't try to make political points at a funeral, but clearly precedents were set long before Coretta Scott King's funeral. And since no evidence exists that she objected to the practice, one has to assume she had no problem with it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:03 pm
Quote:
Surprisingly I have to fall on the sides of the liberals on this one.

Also surprised! And noted.

Thanks for tracking down those great quotes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:19 pm
Can't find the transcript, but heard bits of the eulogy by her own daughter, Bernice I think, that was also very political. The words "Millions for war but not a penny for the poor" come to mind. I'm off to track it down. I imagine her daughter would know if she minded political talk at funerals.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:19 pm
So no one finds the comments of Ted Kennedy ironic given the fact his OWN FAMILY was approving of the warrentless eavsdropping?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
So now I'm responsible for the attitudes of my family? Good god....
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:42 pm
DrewDad wrote:
So now I'm responsible for the attitudes of my family? Good god....

Let's remember that when the Bush family comes up again.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
I don't believe that I've ever mentioned Bush's family.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 01:59 pm
woiyo wrote:
So no one finds the comments of Ted Kennedy ironic given the fact his OWN FAMILY was approving of the warrentless eavsdropping?

You mean before there were FISA laws which specifically made the act illegal?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 02:14 pm
blatham wrote:
woiyo wrote:

You mean before there were FISA laws which specifically made the act illegal?

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies