Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It's sad to say but it must be said.

Sad to say but must be said? Yeah, right. How about, "I couldn't wait to write it"?

You should look into the author of the commentary before jumping to conclusions.

Meaning what? That she's African American? I did notice. There are black conservatives, too. They're in great demand right now, I'm sure, as they provide cover for the usual rightie biases...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:50 am
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Assuming that Tom Delay and Rick Santorum are religious nuts, which I don't think either qualify unless you think all people professing the Christian faith are religious nuts,

It is possible to profess the Christian faith without believing that working mothers who take birth control pills cause youth violence -- or that kids in daycare or the teaching of evolution does.

Hence I am not calling Tom DeLay a religious nut for being a Christian. I am calling him a religious nut for saying things like this when asked about the Columbine highschool massacre: "Guns have little or nothing to do with juvenile violence. The causes of youth violence are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers who take birth control pills."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:56 am
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Assuming that Tom Delay and Rick Santorum are religious nuts, which I don't think either qualify unless you think all people professing the Christian faith are religious nuts,

It is possible to profess the Christian faith without believing that working mothers who take birth control pills cause youth violence -- or that kids in daycare or the teaching of evolution does.

Hence I am not calling Tom DeLay a religious nut for being a Christian. I am calling him a religious nut for saying things like this when asked about the Columbine highschool massacre: "Guns have little or nothing to do with juvenile violence. The causes of youth violence are working parents who put their kids into daycare, the teaching of evolution in the schools, and working mothers who take birth control pills."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 11:58 am
Everything alright, Dys?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:00 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

It's sad to say but it must be said.

Sad to say but must be said? Yeah, right. How about, "I couldn't wait to write it"?

You should look into the author of the commentary before jumping to conclusions.

Meaning what? That she's African American? I did notice. There are black conservatives, too. They're in great demand right now, I'm sure, as they provide cover for the usual rightie biases...

No, meaning she started becoming politically active after the 92 riots in LA. She sees no need for blacks to need government handouts while decrying the unequality of American life. That was the gist of her commentary above. She has been writing the same kind of stuff since 92. I doubt she needed King's funeral to wait to write about it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:01 pm
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Wanted to get in on this.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:02 pm
This doesn't contradict what I said. I never claimed she became a conservative because of the funeral.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
blatham wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Wanted to get in on this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 12:13 pm
thankyou thankyou thankyou!
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 02:24 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
But where all these religious nuts that are purported to have hijacked the Republican party?

For example, one of them was the Senate majority leader. His name is Tom DeLay, and I mentioned him in the post you answered to.

rick santorum would be another.

Assuming that Tom Delay and Rick Santorum are religious nuts, which I don't think either qualify unless you think all people professing the Christian faith are religious nuts, I'm still looking for any organized group of bonafide religious fanatical holy rollers as Thomas described them who have any measurable influence over legislation or policy.

now you are just toying with me, foxy. Laughing but okay, i'll play along.

the christian coalition.

and btw, we've had the discussion about who i do and do not consider religious nuts before, foxy. but just for fun;

reverend robert schuler - not a nut

reverend billy graham - not a nut

reverend jerry falwell - a bigtime nut

dr. james dobson - also quite nutty. and even less entertaining than falwell.

how 'bout george w. bush ? - please, if you deny this one, my head's gonna explode ! Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 03:43 pm
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 04:25 pm
Dys, what the f*&^ are you doing?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:34 pm
New game...spot the racist.

Quote:
I mean, you know, I think these civil rights leaders are nothing more than racists. And they're keeping constituency, they're keeping their neighborhoods and their African-American brothers enslaved, if you will, by continuing to let them think that they're -- or forced to think that they're victims, that the whole system is against them.
FOX

Quote:
http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v19n3/carter_wallace.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:01 am
Did anyone else post this?:

O'Reilly Report Transcript

Rev. Al Sharpton Goes Head-to-Head with Bill O'Reilly

On last night's O'Reilly Factor, the Great Bloviator lashed out at former President Jimmy Carter for remarks made during the Coretta Scott King funeral. His guest, Rev. Al Sharpton, defended Carter and even kept his cool when Bill made a feeble attempt at humor at the end of the interview.

Bill opened with his Talking Points Memo, in which he deplored the fact that former President Carter, while standing in front of a seated President George W. Bush, mentioned that Mrs. King had been illegally wiretapped in her life.

He then began his interview with Sharpton by claiming that Mrs. King's funeral should not have been used as a political rally.

Sharpton strongly disagreed, pointing out that Mrs. King was first and foremost a civil rights leader and that any celebration of her life must, of necessity, refer back to her activist history.

SHARPTON: "They [the four Presidents] went there because this woman represented public policy. It was more than appropriate to discuss public policy and I did not hear, Bill, Jimmy Carter say anything directly that he is attacking Bush. He attacked the wiretapping."

O'Reilly went on to call Carter's remarks "snide" and claim that Carter directed them "at the sitting President who's right behind him - classless!" Sharpton disagreed, pointing out that Carter was referring to the DEMOCRATS who were responsible for tapping Mrs. King's phone.

O'Reilly would have none of that, but just kept on pounding away at his talking point: Funerals even of political activists should avoid all mention of politics, especially if it makes George Bush look bad.

O'REILLY (getting louder and louder): ... It was the wrong forum! The lady's lyin' in the coffin right in front of him! That's not when you do it!

SHARPTON (loudly): And the lady was a victim of wiretapping!

O'REILLY: He can come on this show and do it all day long!! (shouting) He can do it when he wants!! But not when the lady's lyin' in the coffin!!! Now here's why you're wrong about the other thing. (lowers voice a bit) The reason that the four Presidents and you and Jesse Jackson and everybody else went to Atlanta for Coretta Scott King's funeral is because she was an American heroine!! She was a woman of respect and all the people who went down there should have been showing respect to her (louder) and putting their political differences aside!!

SHARPTON (calmly): Well, Bill, I think, first of all, she was a heroine. And she was respected. And she was a heroine and respected because she stood for things and we had the obligation to stand up for that at her funeral. That's why she stood for what she ...

O'REILLY (overtalking last 7 words, loudly): Naw, you can do it 360 days other than her funeral!!! Look President Bush ...

SHARPTON (loudly): But then was it inappropriate, Bill, for Dr. King to talk public policy at funerals that he preached at and for her - I've heard her speak at funerals raising human rights issues.

O'REILLY: Which one?!!

SHARPTON: So was she being ...

O'REILLY: Which one?!!!

SHARPTON: ... inappropriate?!!

O'REILLY: Which funeral?

SHARPTON (louder): Every one she ever did!!!

O'REILLY: Alright.

SHARPTON: Starting with ...

O'REILLY: I never heard that and ...

SHARPTON: ... when Dr. King ...

O'REILLY: ... if Dr. King or anybody else ..

SHARPTON: Look! I come out of the King movement!! I think that it was entirely appropriate. What I thought was a little inappropriate was for the President to come and speak and leave before he even heard her daughter's sermon!

O'REILLY: Oh, look ...

SHARPTON: So, if somebody was using the funeral ....

O'REILLY (overtalks last 7 words): The President of the United States goes down there and my philosophy is he went down there to show respect and I think you'd agree with that. He shows respect to the woman. And, part two of that is we're all Americans here and when there is a tribute - and that's what this was - we nationally televised it on FOX - televised it to the world - it was a tribute to a great woman. OK? We don't need ...

SHARPTON (interrupts): A great woman who was a victim ...

O'REILLY: It doesn't ...

SHARPTON: ... of illegal wiretapping!

O'REILLY (exasperated): Look, stop it!!

SDHARPTON: It's part of what made her ...

O'REILLY: That's the Kennedy ...

SHARPTON: ... so great, that despite the fact ...

O'REILLY: ... administration. Why do you want to do that?

SHARPTON: And they were wrong! And they were wrong!

O'REILLY: But why bring it up?

SHARPTON: Part of what made her great is she survived being illegally wiretapped, being harassed, her husband's murder - all of that she survived!!

O'REILLY: Make it on another day!

SHARPTON: That is not political. That's public policy!

O'REILLY: Look! If you - you diminish ...

SHARPTON (refuses to let O'Reilly speak): What are the - we shouldn't have talked about her life at all ...

O'REILLY: Not there!! Not there!!!

SHARPTON: How do you talk about her life and leave that out?

O'REILLY: No! You can talk about ....

SHARPTON: Well, maybe it would have offended people that she was against the war .

O'REILLY :... you can talk about her life like the Clintons did, in a non-partisan, praising way, emphasizing the positive effect she had on the country. Look, I don't know why you don't understand this! You're a smart guy!

SHARPTON: i think it was absolutely appropriate.

O'REILLY (louder): By injecting partisan politics into the funeral you take away from the tribute to the woman. You make it a dog and pony show!!! Go!

SHARPTON: No, I think, I think that it would have been a betrayal of Doctor and Mrs. King to not address the suffering that she endured, that included illegal government harassment. If the shoe fits, then the President had to wear it. He did not lie - you're not arguing the truth of the matter.

O'REILLY (disgusted look): The President didn't have anything to do with ...

SHARPTON: You just don't - you don't want the truth on a day that ...

O'REILLY: ... wiretapping Mrs. King!!

SHARPTON: ... you want to decide on which day we tell the truth. That's like tellin' the preacher "Don't bring up my sin today. It's my birthday." You gotta preach the truth!

O'REILLY: No, it's like tellin' the preacher when I'm dead in the ground "Don't tell everybody what a bad guy I am"! Think it! One day! Let me be buried!!

SHARPTON; What? What? He didn't say anything bad about Mrs. King. He [was] talkin' about the bad done to Mrs. King!

O'REILLY: Wrong place.

SHARPTON: I think he made the best speech of the funeral.

O'REILLY: Wrong time. Alright. You know you're a stand-up guy for comin' in here. Jesse Jackson wouldn't do it! And we appreciate you comin' on.

SHARPTON: Jesse Jackson would do it. And, if I'm around when you go, I'm gonna talk about talk show hosts with No Spin Zone. I hope the people at your funeral won't be offended.

O'REILLY: Alright. Well, I just - I'm gonna write in my will tonight, when I die, make sure Sharpton's in chains for 24 hours before I'm in the ground. And you get Jesse Jackson on this program. You both come on here!!

SHARPTON (smiling): I could say somethin' about you wantin' me in chains but I'll, I'll let it go. I'll let it go.

O'REILLY: Oh. Alright. I didn't mean THAT. I just meant muzz ...

SHARPTON: Take care.

O'REILLY: ... muzzled.

SHARPTON: Well, you said chains, Bill!

O'REILLY: Alright. Fine. Look. Far be it from me to offend anybody, Reverend! You get Jackson in here with you.

SHARPTON: Who?! You?!

O'REILLY: Yeah!

SHARPTON: Who? You?........
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 05:15 am
Loverly...thanks deb.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
I'm not going to use quotes because I really like DTOM and do not wish his head to explode, but no, I do not believe our President is a religious nut. He is a religious man, yes, and well over 50% of Americans think that is just fine. But a religious nut, no.

That a personal opinion expressed re guns and teen violence was extrapolated by Thomas into a 'religious nut' in my opinion is a real stretch. I have seen quite a few opinions expressed by people who are not known to have any kind of religious faith who also say that you don't blame the guns--you blame what people do with the guns which is pretty much saying the same thing Delay said. But even if you object to Delay's take on it, it is definitely a stretch to say that his religious faith is what put the notion in his head.

I'll give DTOM Falwell as a 'nut', though he really isn't, just because I do so disagree with him on so many things and cringe when he is solicited by the generally left-leaning MSM to be the official Christian spokesperson. But if I hand over Falwell, I get to put the Rev Al Sharpton and the Rev Jesse Jackson into that category too.

Summary: if you believe everybody is a nut who holds an opinion that you do not share and who also professes a religious faith, you have probably put 90+% of the American population into the religious nut category which sounds pretty darn nutty to me. And if you just put people you don't like who are also religious into the religious nut category, that smacks of what some would call prejudice.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
http://www.deskpicture.com/DPs/Miscellaneous/AtomicBlast_3.jpg

where's the tylenol ??? Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 05:39 am
One last tangent on Goldwater conservatives -- one that points back to the absurd charge of politicizing political people. Last Sunday, I went to the movies and watched Walk the Line. The film inspired in me an unexpected appreciation of its protagonist, Johnny Cash. So the following days I surfed around the internet for information on him, and among other things I found some lyrics from the Seventies. To my astonisment, this icon of American Republicans often sounded as liberal as Howard Dean! For example ...
    [b]Man In Black (1971)[/b] Well, you wonder why I always dress in black, Why you never see bright colors on my back, And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone. Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on. I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down, Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town, I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime, But is there because he's a victim of the times. I wear the black for those who never read, Or listened to the words that Jesus said, About the road to happiness through love and charity, Why, you'd think He's talking straight to you and me. Well, we're doin' mighty fine, I do suppose, In our streak of lightnin' cars and fancy clothes, But just so we're reminded of the ones who are held back, Up front there ought 'a be a Man In Black. I wear it for the sick and lonely old, For the reckless ones whose bad trip left them cold, I wear the black in mournin' for the lives that could have been, Each week we lose a hundred fine young men. And, I wear it for the thousands who have died, Believen' that the Lord was on their side, I wear it for another hundred thousand who have died, Believen' that we all were on their side. Well, there's things that never will be right I know, And things need changin' everywhere you go, But 'til we start to make a move to make a few things right, You'll never see me wear a suit of white. Ah, I'd love to wear a rainbow every day, And tell the world that everything's OK, But I'll try to carry off a little darkness on my back, 'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

Gee -- I sure hope nobody sang this one at his funeral. We wouldn't want them librul partisans to politicize Johnny Cash, would we? (On another note, I think someone should write a book about classical conservative icons who sounded like Howard Dean sounds today.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:28 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I'm not going to use quotes because I really like DTOM and do not wish his head to explode, but no, I do not believe our President is a religious nut. He is a religious man, yes, and well over 50% of Americans think that is just fine. But a religious nut, no.

He may or may not be a "nut"--but he counts on appealing to the religious nut cases. Your statement here which i have emphasized is typical of your bullshit. In 2000, the Shrub was a minority President--he did not get even 50% of the votes cast. In 2004, he just squeaked by with slightly over 50% of the votes cast, not "well over" 50%. Given that not one hundred percent of Americans are registered voters, and given that far fewer than even half of registered voters cast a ballot--you have absolutely no basis for making this typically idiotic remark. Tell us again, Fox, how well-educated and well-informed you are.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:32 am
thomas

The shift in American "populist" sentiment and subject between the traditions that Cash's lyrics represent (or perhaps even more appropriately, Guthrie) and that of Patrick Buchanan is pretty interesting. I've noted this article below elsewhere. It's helpful...
http://www.publiceye.org/magazine/v19n3/carter_wallace.html
0 Replies