Bush supporters' aftermath thread II

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:03 pm
Re: Bush supporters' aftermath thread II
PoetSeductress wrote:
Tico, please excuse me, but I've been meaning to thank you for those direct links you posted for me. That was very considerate of you.

You're very welcome, PS.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:10 pm
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
All this just goes to prove that Lefties, leftwing Democrats, and Bush-haters will not accept ANY explanation by ANYBODY related to ANYTHING that does not support their prejudicial negative views regarding all aspect of this administration and generally the entire GOP as well.

Where did this come from?

If somebody doesn't want people (possibly innocent, maybe not, we don't know...) being held for years without a trial, that proves ... what?

Follow the leader, Foxy.

It's just the whole absurd mindset OE.

The Vice President does not immediately notify the MSM that he accidentally shot a hunting buddy, and look at the media feeding frenzy and Democrat talking points that have resulted, just about ALL using this as a means to attack, weaken, or destroy the Vice President and, by association, the administration. Instead of accepting the perfectly reasonable explanation provided, all manner of vile speculation is going on.

What should be fascinating news about the WMDs being reported this week are being given very minor, unexcited coverage, or no coverage while the Vice President's hunting accidents is leading every MSM radio and television report. The existence of WMDs don't help the MSM or Democrats who might have to eat a LOT of words if this turns out to really be something.

You are an anti-Bush person; therefore you choose to believe the liberal MSM accusing the administration of unjustly holding people at GITMO despite the USA's pretty darn good track record on human rights. I would bet at least another Big Mac that if it was a liberal Democrat in office, you would not have so much concern for GITMO detainees. Admittedly that is pure speculation on my part, but is based on what the lefties tend to view as important and acceptable versus what is not important and unacceptable, and that speculation is even further reinforced by postings in this thread alone.

I think you're a pretty neat person in spite of your (ahem) liberal mindset, and I like kicking this stuff around with you. If my frustration spills over into a petulant tone now and then, it generally is not targeted at you personally.

I would very much like much more honesty demonstrated by our MSM, however, and also by the loyal opposition party. There are a lot of good reasons for why I consider myself mostly conservative, but if there was absolutely no other reason, I would be conservative just because of the overwhelming negativity, anger, irrational suspicion, dishonesty, and attack dog mentality of the Leftwing wackos. It's a downer, it's nonproductive, it's destructive, and I am glad it represents a pretty small minority among all those on the Left.

I just hate when people who are usually reasonable buy into it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:18 pm
Quote:
Where did this come from?

It comes from someone pointing out that Fox's proposition was full of sh*t; she goes from zero to hysterical at the drop of a hat.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
Quote:
What should be fascinating news about the WMDs being reported this week are being given very minor, unexcited coverage, or no coverage while the Vice President's hunting accidents is leading every MSM radio and television report. The existence of WMDs don't help the MSM or Democrats who might have to eat a LOT of words if this turns out to really be something.

That's because the WMD news this week isn't new news in the slightest. It doesn't reveal anything new, that we didn't know before. It doesn't implicate anyone who isn't already on trial. It doesn't provide either a 'smoking gun' or an excuse for an administration which lied in order to send us to war.

Whereas, the VP just shot a guy the other day, and the stories about it don't all add up. Imagine if he'd gotten a blowjob from someone; I bet you'd be up in arms about it, but that's just based upon what Righties tend to view as important or acceptable.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
You are an anti-Bush person; therefore you choose to believe the liberal MSM accusing the administration of unjustly holding people at GITMO despite the USA's pretty darn good track record on human rights. I would bet at least another Big Mac that if it was a liberal Democrat in office, you would not have so much concern for GITMO detainees.

"You are an anti-Bush person; therefore you choose to believe the liberal MSM" - wow! Now, I've got no clue which news outlets you'd sum up under the acronym "MSM", but rest assured that very likely not a single one of them served as a primary source when I was talking about GITMO.

Plus I find it a bit far fetched to make a statement like the above one. It's like saying "You are a pro-Bush person, therefore you approve people being tortured" or something along those lines. It's pigeonholing, and it shows a lack of respect for what the other person actually says.

I'm kind of willing to accept your "liberal mindset" assertion, but you will notice that that would still be a pretty poor definition if you wanted to categorize somebody o'er here, because, you see, we have more than two parties, and people of "liberal mindsets" vote almost all across the spectrum. Heck, people even vote for two parties in a single election (giving your first vote to a certain party and your second vote to the coalition partner you prefer).

If the very same events took place re Gitmo, I would critizise them anyway, nevermind a liberal Democrat being in office. I don't favor one party or the other. People don't. People here did like Reagan. They did like Clinton. But George W has managed to alienate so many countries (read: the people of these countries), it's stunning giving the overwhelming sympathies towards the United States in the immediate wake of 9/11. Really, so many people I've been talking to were shocked, really shocked because they've been to States, some of them many, many times, and they could identify with the people of NY and the people in America. But Bush managed to alienate people. Going into Iraq. Proclaiming "you're either with us or with the terrorists".

Okay. So. Something I don't understand: especially given what you perceive as the "USA's pretty darn good track record on human rights", doesn't it bother you even a little bit that people are being for years without a trial? I'm not saying they are all innocent. Nope. But if they are guilty, well, try them and then lock them away to serve their sentence. Would make so much sense, wouldn't it? And I simply cannot understand how anybody could argue against that.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Quote:

That's because the WMD news this week isn't new news in the slightest. It doesn't reveal anything new, that we didn't know before. It doesn't implicate anyone who isn't already on trial. It doesn't provide either a 'smoking gun' or an excuse for an administration which lied in order to send us to war.

Whereas, the VP just shot a guy the other day, and the stories about it don't all add up. Imagine if he'd gotten a blowjob from someone; I bet you'd be up in arms about it, but that's just based upon what Righties tend to view as important or acceptable.

Cycloptichorn

What doesn't add up, Cyclops? You, and your leftist friends, are desperately trying to manufacture a story that doesn't exist.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:40 pm
Bush supporters' aftermath thread II
jespah wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
FreeDuck inspired me to start this thread, when he started the "Weeping and gnashing" thread:
I hereby declare this the self-pity thread. Kerry supporters only (others can watch but are not allowed to gloat), feel free to vent your frustration, whine, pout, cry out loud, accuse Republicans of election rigging, and pre-mourn 4 more years of absolute Republican control.
So .... if you are a Bush supporter and feel the urge to "gloat" in your "post-election afterglow," use this thread for that. I don't expect many postings.
This is a continuation of http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37997 That topic will not be unlocked; please use this one instead. Thank you.

In keeping with the original intention of this thread, I will state my little opinion. For the most part, I'm Independent-minded, but voted for George W. Bush because out of the two, Bush was the wiser choice over Kerry. This doesn't mean I think Bush is perfect, or that I agree with every single stand he takes. There are a few things that I would strongly prefer that he would do, but hasn't done. Realistically, however, I understand that there isn't a person alive whom I will agree with on everything. If there is, that means one of us isn't thinking. So I made that choice, and I stand by it.

I hold no grudge against Kerry or wish him harm. So when I heard the final results that Bush had beaten Kerry, my instantaneous reaction was not egotistical gloating, but of relief and gratitude.

I didn't come here on this thread to debate, bash, or defend, but to answer a simple question with a simple reply. I hope you'll respect this, and leave it at that.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:46 pm
Oh, it's fun. It isn't every day that the VP of the opposing party shoots someone and then handles the media angle terribly.

Admit it; if it were Gore who had shot someone, you'd be all over yourself looking at the event!

The part that doesn't add up is this: Cheney had been drinking that day, by his own admission. After the accident (which there are several conflicting versions of, probably due to eyewitness unreliability) no cops were allowed in to see him until the next day; and no coordinated media response led to further confusion.

Now, I know that you don't believe the VP has a responsibility to report his actions to the American people; but he works for us, not the other way around. He is a public servant. He has a responsibility to inform his bosses, the American people, about what went wrong.

But, desperately? Thanks, we'll let the myriad other scandals take your leaders down. This one is just fun and funny to talk about.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:47 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
I didn't come here on this thread to debate, bash, or defend, but to answer a simple question with a simple reply. I hope you'll respect this, and leave it at that.

<psst> Can't you bash Cyclops, at least? Just a wee little bit?

No? Oh, well.

Thanks for your opinion, PS. I think everyone can appreciate it. (They might not agree ... but that's not what I said.)
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 01:52 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:

<psst> Can't you bash Cyclops, at least? Just a wee little bit?

No? Oh, well.

Thanks for your opinion, PS. I think everyone can appreciate it. (They might not agree ... but that's not what I said.)

<smile> Maybe later, Tico, my heart just isn't in it, right now..
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Cyclo,
Quote:
Now, I know that you don't believe the VP has a responsibility to report his actions to the American people; but he works for us, not the other way around. He is a public servant. He has a responsibility to inform his bosses, the American people, about what went wrong.

Werent you one of the same people that was saying "its his private life,its nobody else's business,it doesnt affect how he governs" when Bill was being stupidly investigated because of Monica?

Now,you are saying that what Happened to Cheney,as part of his PRIVATE LIFE,matters.

You cant have it both ways!!!
It was a hunting accident,nothing more.
It seems the left wants to turn it into a major conspiracy because its Cheney.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:30 pm
His activity was reported timely. The only thing the "left" is upset at is that the Corpus Cristie Times got the scoop and not the NY Times.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 02:52 pm
Quote:
Judge Orders Action on Spying Documents

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: February 16, 2006
Filed at 3:33 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- A federal judge dealt a setback to the Bush administration on its warrantless surveillance program, ordering the Justice Department on Thursday to release documents about the highly classified effort within 20 days or compile a list of what it is withholding.

U.S. District Judge Henry Kennedy said a private group will suffer irreparable harm if the documents it has been seeking since December are not processed promptly under the Freedom of Information Act.

The Justice Department failed to meet the time restraints under FOIA and failed to make a case that it was impractical to deal quickly with the request by the Electronic Privacy Information Center.
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Domestic-Spying-Courts.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

And we recall that Cheney, under Ford, tried to quash the FOI Act. No sense involving the low-life citizenry in democracy. Much better things run by the wealthy and priviledged elite.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:05 pm
Global warming? "Bunkum!" says the Texas Republican Party Platform (which as we know has absolutely no connection to big oil companies at all).

Quote:
Greenland Glaciers Dump More Ice Into Ocean

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: February 16, 2006
Filed at 3:19 p.m. ET

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Greenland's southern glaciers have accelerated their march to the Atlantic Ocean over the past decade and now contribute more to the global rise in sea levels than previously estimated, researchers say.

Those faster-moving glaciers, along with increased melting, could account for nearly 17 percent of the estimated one-tenth of an inch annual rise in global sea levels, or twice what was previously believed, said Eric Rignot of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.

An increase in surface air temperatures appears to be causing the glaciers to flow faster, albeit at the still-glacial pace of eight miles to nine miles a year at their fastest clip, and dump increased volumes of ice into the Atlantic.

That stepped-up flow accounted for about two-thirds of the net 54 cubic miles of ice Greenland lost in 2005. That compares with 22 cubic miles in 1996, Rignot said.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-Greenland-Glaciers.html

Then, of course there is this cute item...
Quote:
Top political appointees in the NASA press office exerted strong pressure during the 2004 presidential campaign to cut the flow of news releases on glaciers, climate, pollution and other earth sciences, public affairs officers at the agency say....
Dr. Griffin announced the review of communications policies after complaints last month by James E. Hansen, the agency's top climate scientist, that political appointees were trying to stop him from speaking out on global warming. After those complaints were reported in The Times, other scientists and press officers came forward with similar stories.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/16/science/16nasa.html
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:13 pm
pssssst....

When George Will (George Will! for goodness sakes) tells you that the administration is heading into dictator-land, it might well be prudent to make some reassessments...

Quote:
No Checks, Many Imbalances

By George F. Will
Thursday, February 16, 2006; Page A27

The next time a president asks Congress to pass something akin to what Congress passed on Sept. 14, 2001 -- the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) -- the resulting legislation might be longer than Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past." Congress, remembering what is happening today, might stipulate all the statutes and constitutional understandings that it does not intend the act to repeal or supersede.

But, then, perhaps no future president will ask for such congressional involvement in the gravest decision government makes -- going to war. Why would future presidents ask, if the present administration successfully asserts its current doctrine? It is that whenever the nation is at war, the other two branches of government have a radically diminished pertinence to governance, and the president determines what that pertinence shall be. This monarchical doctrine emerges from the administration's stance that warrantless surveillance by the National Security Agency targeting American citizens on American soil is a legal exercise of the president's inherent powers as commander in chief, even though it violates the clear language of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which was written to regulate wartime surveillance.

Administration supporters incoherently argue that the AUMF also authorized the NSA surveillance -- and that if the administration had asked, Congress would have refused to authorize it. The first assertion is implausible: None of the 518 legislators who voted for the AUMF has said that he or she then thought it contained the permissiveness the administration discerns in it. Did the administration, until the program became known two months ago? Or was the AUMF then seized upon as a justification? Equally implausible is the idea that in the months after Sept. 11, Congress would have refused to revise the 1978 law in ways that would authorize, with some supervision, NSA surveillance that, even in today's more contentious climate, most serious people consider conducive to national security.

Anyway, the argument that the AUMF contained a completely unexpressed congressional intent to empower the president to disregard the FISA regime is risible coming from this administration. It famously opposes those who discover unstated meanings in the Constitution's text and do not strictly construe the language of statutes...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/15/AR2006021502003.html
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:19 pm
blatham wrote:
pssssst....

When George Will (George Will! for goodness sakes) tells you that the administration is heading into dictator-land, it might well be prudent to make some reassessments...

Quote:
No Checks, Many Imbalances

By George F. Will
Thursday, February 16, 2006; Page A27

The next time a president asks Congress to pass something akin to what Congress passed on Sept. 14, 2001 -- the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) -- the resulting legislation might be longer than Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past." Congress, remembering what is happening today, might stipulate all the statutes and constitutional understandings that it does not intend the act to repeal or supersede.

But, then, perhaps no future president will ask for such congressional involvement in the gravest decision government makes -- going to war. Why would future presidents ask, if the present administration successfully asserts its current doctrine? It is that whenever the nation is at war, the other two branches of government have a radically diminished pertinence to governance, and the president determines what that pertinence shall be. This monarchical doctrine emerges from the administration's stance that warrantless surveillance by the National Security Agency targeting American citizens on American soil is a legal exercise of the president's inherent powers as commander in chief, even though it violates the clear language of the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which was written to regulate wartime surveillance.

Administration supporters incoherently argue that the AUMF also authorized the NSA surveillance -- and that if the administration had asked, Congress would have refused to authorize it. The first assertion is implausible: None of the 518 legislators who voted for the AUMF has said that he or she then thought it contained the permissiveness the administration discerns in it. Did the administration, until the program became known two months ago? Or was the AUMF then seized upon as a justification? Equally implausible is the idea that in the months after Sept. 11, Congress would have refused to revise the 1978 law in ways that would authorize, with some supervision, NSA surveillance that, even in today's more contentious climate, most serious people consider conducive to national security.

Anyway, the argument that the AUMF contained a completely unexpressed congressional intent to empower the president to disregard the FISA regime is risible coming from this administration. It famously opposes those who discover unstated meanings in the Constitution's text and do not strictly construe the language of statutes...
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/15/AR2006021502003.html

It would be prudent for anyone who had a sliver of objectivity left, and wasn't sold out to defend whatever Bush does - I'll grant you that. Good luck finding them among the true Bushite-believers here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:31 pm
Why do they believe? Why does Cheney appear on Fox or rightwing radio about twice as often as all other outlets? How might folks come to the brain and soul-twisting notion that torture = liberty?

Read this... http://www.pipa.org/OnlineReports/Iraq/IraqMedia_Oct03/IraqMedia_Oct03_rpt.pdf
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 03:57 pm
blatham wrote:
pssssst....

Shocked ooOOooh... dictator-land...

That's pretty scary stuff.

(Is this it?)
http://www.evanstonroundtable.com/rt2004/roundtable042104/042104images/stuck_earthmover.jpg
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
No. That's a big shovel.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:25 pm
OE writes
Quote:
Okay. So. Something I don't understand: especially given what you perceive as the "USA's pretty darn good track record on human rights", doesn't it bother you even a little bit that people are being for years without a trial? I'm not saying they are all innocent. Nope. But if they are guilty, well, try them and then lock them away to serve their sentence. Would make so much sense, wouldn't it? And I simply cannot understand how anybody could argue against that.

Not quoted above but referenced in the post from which the above quote was excerpted, I acknowledge that "liberal" here means something very different from "liberal' there. Nimh once explained the various European sociopolitical ideologies and the labels don't match the corresponding labels here. So when I say "liberal" or "conservative" I'm going by what those terms mean to me here in the USA.

I'm not surprised that many Europeans dislike George W. Bush when you see absolutely nothing in your media and little in our media that is positive about him. Here in the United States we have access to different media that has it all in better perspective and his favorables are much higher even if he does have an overall 'job approval' rating below 50%. Among, Republicans, married people, military personnel and families, investors, small business others, and several other sub groups, his favorables are very high and these are all likely voters. Even all men have his approval rating above 50%, but the approval rating for women are much lower and drags down the average.

The man isn't God, isn't perfect, isn't competent in every subject, and like every other human, he has feet of clay. But I honestly believe if a presidential election was held today and he and John Kerry were the candidates, he would win by a wider margin than he did previously. There are several things in which I very much disagree with him; there are other areas in which I back him 100%. But he's not the hateful, wicked, dictator-minded, cruel person that is painted by so many of the small-minded and hateful.

Now to your question. I have a better memory than some and the images of 9/11 are still crystal clear in my mind as are scenes of beheadings, mass graves, and innocent people blown up with car bombs. I am also a product of the WWII generation and my parents ran the commissary of a POW camp here in New Mexico. All the prisoners there were German and some were there for most of four years. They got no trial, they were treated well--my Mom wrote to two of them for years after they were released--but they were not going to be turned loose before the war was won and an unconditional surrender was signed.

I look at those people at GITMO in much of the same way. Just like all those German boys were not Nazis and not evil and some probably never even shot at us, they were still part of the German Army and they were the enemy. You don't turn them loose for their commanders to refit into fighting machines and let them come at us again. Once victory is won, they can go home on our nickle just as those German prisoners were sent home on our nickle.

Until somebody has conclusive proof that this is not the case with the detainees at GITMO, I will believe our government is doing the right thing. And I don't trust the anti-Bush, anti-American media with portraying things as they actually are there.
0 Replies