and make it what they want it to be.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 06:06 pm
StSimon wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
people do strange things to religion

and make it what they want it to be.

There is the God made pure holy word of truth and then many man made counterfeits of the WORD.

Though the words of the prophets are not necessarily counterfeits, if, they do not contradict the truth of the WORD of God/Allah.

The words of the prophets are also subject to the will of the prophets.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 07:46 pm
These are all a week old, but interesting enough:

My summary:

Quote:
8 February 2006 • The Independent

A satirical French weekly reprinted caricatures of the Prophet Mohamed that sparked violent protests worldwide, a day after a court ruling cleared the way. Under the headline "Muhammad overwhelmed by the fundamentalists," the cover featured a new caricature depicting the prophet with his head in his hands, remarking, "It's hard to be loved by idiots." On Tuesday, a French court threw out a lawsuit by five Muslim organizations aimed at blocking the publication on technical grounds.

My summary:

Quote:
9 February 2006 • Radio Sweden

Sweden's far right Sweden Democrats (SD) have decided to publish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed in their online newspaper. Swedish Radio reported that the SD are sponsoring a contest encouraging readers to send in their own cartoons of Mohammed. Foreign Minister Freivalds condemned the contest, saying that it was insensitive, provocative and irresponsible.

In the category odd:

My summary:

Quote:
8 February 2006 • Forbes

The Associated Press protested Wednesday the misleading inclusion of an AP photograph in a pamphlet that a delegation of Danish Muslim leaders carried on a Mideast tour in December-January. The picture shows a bearded man wearing fake pig ears, a pig nose, and a pink embroidered cap on his head. He was wearing the costume while participating in a pig-squealing contest in a French farm village last summer. The photo had no connection with Islam or the caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad. A spokesman for the delegation said: "I have no comments."
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 08:47 pm
Potentially explosive?

New 'Allah' doc ready to raise a ruckus....
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:15 pm
nimh wrote:
Quote:
Far-Right Swedish Party Publishes Mohammed Cartoons

My summary:

Quote:
9 February 2006 • Radio Sweden

Sweden's far right Sweden Democrats (SD) have decided to publish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohammed in their online newspaper. Swedish Radio reported that the SD are sponsoring a contest encouraging readers to send in their own cartoons of Mohammed. Foreign Minister Freivalds condemned the contest, saying that it was insensitive, provocative and irresponsible.

Thanks Nimh (for the millionth time). I am impressed by this action and more than a little put off by the cowardice of the American Press. This rings as a clear bell of solidarity and if anyone should be stepping up it should be the journalists of the world's only superpower. Good on the Swiss, the French and everyone else who's faced this ignorance head on.

Knowing your feelings on the subject; I'll concede there was room for sensitivity before the sh!t hit the fan. (Full stop.) But, I feel very strongly that solidarity in the name of freedom should dominate the aftermath. I repeat; good on the Swiss and all of the courageous European editors who've volunteered to share in the backlash. Well done.
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:30 pm
What if they had published offensive cartoons on someone you valued and looked up to; I bet you wouldn't have replied in the same manner.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
Than you either haven't read too many of my posts, or don't understand the value I place on freedom. I'll give you 100 to 1 odds. In truth, my own Idol gets ridiculed all of the time. I don't much care for it when people rag on Brett Favre, but I generally recognize the speakers' right to be heard. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:10 am
Raul-7: See this post... and the movie it quotes from... if you are allowed to. Idea
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 08:26 am
A friend emailed me a link to a video a few days ago showing 4,000 Islamic demonstrators in Paris and the two men who stood up to them (maybe they saw the chick flick O'Bill references? Smile)

It's remarkable when you think about it....they're either incredibly brave or incredibly foolish. You decide.

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/islamistes/video/46200
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:17 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Knowing your feelings on the subject; I'll concede there was room for sensitivity before the sh!t hit the fan. (Full stop.) But, I feel very strongly that solidarity in the name of freedom should dominate the aftermath.

Actually, I kinda agree. I think the original publication was rude, and stupid. But as embassies were ablaze in Lebanon and Syria and the Danish PM was pressured to apologize for free media, I think it was wholly appropriate that newspapers around Europe, one at least in almost every country, reprinted the cartoons. That was very necessary to make a clear point, not about the cartoons themselves, but about the pressure, through violence even, on a government to clamp down on media.

In turn again, tho, I think it's a point that only needs to be made so many times. I dont quite see why the same cartoons would have to be reprinted again and again. Then it deteriorates into nana-nana stuff, "you hate it when I do this and you can stop me".. the far-right Swedish party writing out a new contest among its anti-Muslim, anti-immigrant supporters to make new cartoons is IMO a clear example of such deterioration, where its just reduced to anti-Muslim partisan rabble-rousing.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:21 am
JustWonders wrote:
A friend emailed me a link to a video a few days ago showing 4,000 Islamic demonstrators in Paris and the two men who stood up to them (maybe they saw the chick flick O'Bill references? Smile)

It's remarkable when you think about it....they're either incredibly brave or incredibly foolish. You decide.

JW,

I just posted 13 examples of Muslims or Muslim organisations in Europe and elsewhere who openly took a dissenting stance on the anti-cartoon protests, in this post on one of the other threads.

And those are just 13 examples I happened to come across, not specifically looking for 'em.

There's plenty of 'em. Not that afraid, apparently (perhaps not quite as much reason to be as it's sometimes made out).
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:30 am
They're partly from two of the three below articles, which haven't otherwise been posted here yet I think:

My summary:

Quote:
Reuters
10 February 2006

Violent protests in the Middle East over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad are pressuring France's Muslim minority to walk a tightrope between French citizenship and Islamic solidarity.

Leading French Muslims now fear that instead of being accepted as France's second religion, Islam and its followers here are linked with outraged Arabs sacking Danish embassies.

"We're dealing with two types of ignorance, about Islam and about the freedom of speech," Sohaib Bencheikh, a prominent theologian, said of the Middle Eastern protests. "I'm surprised by the over-reaction of my fellow Muslims."

Many French Muslims are born and educated here. Friday mosque attendance has fallen to about 10-15 percent, about the same level of weekly worship for French Christians, and many young Muslims know little or nothing of the towns and foreign tongues their ancestors left behind.

Rachid Benzine, a leading young Muslim intellectual, bemoaned the fact the protesting Arabs thought their faith gave them the right to use violence.

"We're witnessing the theologisation of international relations," he said. "Some say we're heading toward a clash of civilizations, but it's more like a clash of ignorances on both sides."

Olivier Roy said Middle Eastern governments and movements sought to influence the Muslim diaspora by stressing what kept them apart from their European neighbors. "Muslims in Europe are having an increasingly difficult time living with burdensome godparents like this," he wrote in Le Monde.

My summary:

Quote:
IPS
8 February

A growing number of European journalists and caricaturists are condemning the cartoons of Prophet Mohammed that have deepened the schism between Europe and the Muslim world.

Jul, a French caricaturist, said: "I think that the cartoons of Mohammed have caused this hysteria in the Muslim world because there is a deep anti-Arab and anti- Muslim racism in Europe." Swedish writer Jan Guillou said that the Danish cartoons were "vulgar and cowardly, because they were intended to offend the already distressed Muslim immigrant minority."

Some commentators pointed out that European freedom of the press is not absolute as some editors pretend, and that tribunals often rule against journalists and artists. Christian Schertz said German law provides for jail of up to three years for insults to religious belief. "And those beliefs are not confined to Christian ones, but to all religions."

My summary:

Quote:
BBC News
6 February 2006

Lebanese papers condemn the sacking of the Danish embassy in Beirut and accuse their government of failing to take responsibility. Many Arabic commentators agree that the protests have gone too far.

Lebanon's Daily Star writes: "The damage that the rioters did - both to Lebanese property and to the image of Islam - was far worse than that done by the cartoons."

Nabil Abu-Munsif in Lebanon's Al-Nahar opines: "The attack was simply an advanced attempt to blow up Lebanon and set it on fire," while Abdelkrim Ghezali in Algeria's La Tribune expounds: "It is no coincidence that it is only in Damascus and Beirut that the embassies of Denmark and Norway were set ablaze ... Syria has every reason to want to divert the world's attention... It is time to stop exploiting the anger of the masses to achieve political goals such as saving a party or regime. Such action can also be viewed as another form of blasphemy."

In Oman's Al-Watan, Abd-Al-Aziz Al Mahmud comments: "I wished that this anger were directed against America, which is the actual cause of our humiliation and degradation."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:32 am
Thanks for all these links and summaries.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:41 am
nimh wrote:
JustWonders wrote:

JW,

I just posted 13 examples of Muslims or Muslim organisations in Europe and elsewhere who openly took a dissenting stance on the anti-cartoon protests, in this post on one of the other threads.

And those are just 13 examples I happened to come across, not specifically looking for 'em.

There's plenty of 'em. Not that afraid, apparently (perhaps not quite as much reason to be as it's sometimes made out).

Yes, dear, I'd already seen the post you mention, but dissenting openly via written media and a video of two guys facing down thousands ... hmmm.

An aside - after I watched the video, one of my first thoughts was remembering something I read about what an American officer supposedly said at the Battle of the Bulge..."they're in trouble now, they got us surrounded"...or something like that :wink:
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 09:57 am
JustWonders wrote:
An aside - after I watched the video, one of my first thoughts was remembering something I read about what an American officer supposedly said at the Battle of the Bulge..."they're in trouble now, they got us surrounded"...or something like that :wink:

OT - I "fact-checked" myself (before one of A2K's excellent military history buffs came along to correct me) and learned it was General Abrams who said:

Quote:
"I like to be out on the point where there's nothing but me and the goddam Germans and we can fight by ourselves." When the 101st Airborne was surrounded at the Battle of the Bulge, Abrams led the relief column into Bastogne with an attack that was watched with unabashed professional admiration by Panzer Commander Fritz Bayerlein. Later, Abrams led the dash to the Rhine, moved so fast that he captured an astonished lieutenant general and his staff at their desks. Fighting far out in front of the Third Army, Abrains was frequently cut off. "They've got us surrounded again," he once said, "those poor bastards." Said General George Patton of his aggressive tank commander: "I'm supposed to be the best tank commander in the Army, but I have one peer - Abe Abrams. He's the world champion."

http://www.3ad.com/history/cold.war/abrams.htm
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
Peace be upon those who follow the guidance,

For those who want to know more about Prophet Muhammad (Peace and blessings be upon him), here are a few books about his biography:

Best Biographies of the Prophet Muhammad
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:38 am
Can you tell me where I might find the few remaining vestiges of intelligent life on Earth?
0 Replies

Raul-7

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
chris2a wrote:
Can you tell me where I might find the few remaining vestiges of intelligent life on Earth?

Who made you to judge on this Earth?

If the human is touched by adversity, he implores us, but as soon as we bestow a blessing upon him, he says, "I attained this because of my cleverness!" Indeed, this is only a test, but most of them do not know. [Qur'an 39:49]
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 04:46 pm
Or......

If the MUSLIM is touched by adversity, he implores us, but as soon as NICE THINGS HAPPEN, he says, "I attained this because of my cleverness!" Indeed, even though THE QUR'AN says this is only a test, most MUSLIMS have an unrealistic attitude to life and use religion as and when it suits them.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:42 am
Raul-7 wrote:
chris2a wrote:

Who made you to judge on this Earth?

If the human is touched by adversity, he implores us, but as soon as we bestow a blessing upon him, he says, "I attained this because of my cleverness!" Indeed, this is only a test, but most of them do not know. [Qur'an 39:49]

It seems you have played the role of judge more than anyone else in this thread. And, you did not understand nor did you answer my question. If you have trouble comprehending the English language, there is a forum for that in A2K.
0 Replies