Why insulting prophet Muhammad?!

nimh

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:26 am
JustWonders wrote:
Yes, dear, I'd already seen the post you mention, but dissenting openly via written media and a video of two guys facing down thousands ... hmmm.

Hmm... well, honey, I suppose thats fair enough. Guess I was just gettin' a bit tired at the wide-eyed assertions that any Muslim who now still dares to speak up faces immediate death by Islamist slaughter or the like... Impressions sometimes appear to verge on the cartoonesque.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:55 am
Indeed.

Kind of ironic, eh?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
nimh - I'm still not sure why you felt compelled to comment on my post by pointing out the links you'd provided in your posts.

Two men face a hostile crowd of thousands in support of free speech and to me that took extraordinary courage, but doesn't diminish or negate the information you provided at all.

I'm just not sure what in my post caused you to be so annoyed.

There's plenty to be admired on both sides of this controversy, I think.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:38 am
JW does rock.

Massively.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:59 pm
Lash wrote:
JW does rock.

Massively.
As does Nimh. Imagine how informative A2K would be if everyone, on both sides, took the time to be informed and argued their positions with the grace of those two. Idea I admire them both.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
JustWonders wrote:
A friend emailed me a link to a video a few days ago showing 4,000 Islamic demonstrators in Paris and the two men who stood up to them (maybe they saw the chick flick O'Bill references? Smile)

This?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:01 pm
It seems appropriate to post the following piece here. What I got out of it is that at some point we all--religious, non religious, Christian, Muslim, Athiest, etc. all--have to offer something other than just lip service, rhetoric, or knee jerk responses in order to be authentic and/or relevant. I thought it was well done.

Islamic truthsSOURCE
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 05:08 pm
BTW-- I had a nibble at the Progressive Muslim place.

If a guy named Sam, shows up, please let me know.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:16 am
FreeDuck wrote:

Not unless Indonesia has moved to Europe.

I'll amend that to the world, rather than Europe.

Murdering Christians...over cartoons...in Nigeria.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
"A growing global crisis"
"Sweeping" in the least.

I loved Bush's statement to Rasmussen.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lash wrote:
JW does rock.

Massively.
As does Nimh.

Not in the last page. She slew him with facts and logic.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Imagine how informative A2K would be if everyone, on both sides, took the time to be informed and argued their positions with the grace of those two. Idea

Even those who can write interminably with a seeming lack of aggression and bias, are informed largely by their preferences moreso than unadulterated facts....no less so than the rabble. It's just not as readily apparent, which may be of value in some circles, where content comes in a distant second to delivery. Idea
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:05 am
I thought this an excellent letter from a Muslim living in London, published in today's Newstatesman magazine.

Quote:
My name is Adiba and I was born a Muslim. I am unknown, and nobody need care waht I think, but I want the world to know that not all Muslims are united on the issue of the Danish cartoons. I am disappointed with the protests that Muslims around the world have made over the images, and disappointed that many Muslims do not stand outside their immediate convictions and look at the world they live in, so that they can adjust their approach to it. We live in a world where dialogue is the only way progress can be made, a world where different belief systems have to co exist. We cannot presume that everyone will share our views, or understand why certain things seem disrespectful, or even respect the reasons why they seem so. Things we do will continue to please some and annoy others. The HSBC adertisements showing the many different meanings of the thumbs up sign are a good example.

You protesters are crazy. I despise you for tainting the name of this religion, which belongs to no one, and no one has to defend, because Islam will live no matter how you represent it. By asking for beheadings of those who have a different view, you are proving the same as the people persecuted Muhammed (God Bless His Soul) when he tried to spread the word. You are just as intolerant, just as misguided, and you are persecutors of the innocent. Go get an education.

Dont expect people to know what offends your delicate sensibilities. Talk to them, earn their trust, lead by example...then they will respect you and try not to offend you. The countries that published these cartoons have given you homes, livelihoods, and freedom to practise your religion as you choose. They ahve no laws to prohibit what the newspapers did. To them, it was a joke. So if you want them to understand your point of view, show them that you are better than some screaming, shouting, mad person with bloodand revenge on his mind. You can ask for an apology, and if you show them tolerance and intelligence, they will apologise.

There are bigger fights to fight in your lives than being offended over cartoons that were never expected to provoke such outrage. The countries in which you live have freedom to fthe press and give everyone the right to speak their mind- the same laws that gave you the right to protest. Dont try to shut people's mouths or break their pens. Try to change what they are saying and what they are writing.

Abida Osmani
0 Replies

QKid

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
Steve,

Nice article. Although i dont know how reliable the source is, I do agree with most of this article. The actions which many muslims took which led to violence was definitely wrong. I mean what happened to the sabr (patience and perseverance) that prophet Muhammed pbuh taught. For example, the Prophet pbuh was kicked out of a town by having stones thrown at him, then angel Gabriel came and asked with his request he would destroy that entire town, and the prophet pbuh said no and instead made a prayer that those people from the town be guided to the right path. Even though he was ridiculed and attacked, he still showed patience. Another example is when a person came to the prophet pbuh and started ridiculing him. At first his companion Abu Bakr (may Allah be pleased with him) didnt say anything and was patient. Then he got tired of the guy bashing the prophet pbuh and spoke up with anger. When that happened, Prophet Muhammad pbuh got up and left. Abu Bakr went after him and asked why he left and the prophet pbuh replied by saying, "when you were patient, the angels were still in the room but when you got angry, the angels left and I dont stay anywhere where there are no angels"

This shows that those who took that violent route did it on emotions. They are not following the examples that the prophet pbuh set. Muslims are so emotionally driven nowadays. Also, i agree with the article about protesting. I mean at first it might look like a good means to get things done. But if u look at the reality of it, all you are doing is shouting at a building which does not cause any change. Even if there is slight change from protesting, the overall change is minute.
And finally I also agree when the article says we shouldnt get shocked when we see things like these cartoons. I mean people have been attacking the prophet pbuh from the begining. Its been going on for over 1,400 yrs. Muslims need to do a deep analysis of the whole situation from the begining before taking actions instead of acting on emotion. Because if you are acting on emotion, then you are not thinking.
Steve, i must say, we have had our disagreements in the past. But this is common ground we share. Good post bro.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:07 am
Thanks Qkid

I'm glad you appreciate the sentiments of the letter writer. The more common ground that believers and non believers can agree on, the harder it is for the extremists (on both sides) to manipulate events for their own ends.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
JustWonders wrote:
nimh - I'm still not sure why you felt compelled to comment on my post by pointing out the links you'd provided in your posts.

Kinda like I already explained. My reaction was purely contextual. (You'll note that I never actually contested your post, but merely pointed to further examples in reference.)

There's been a lot of stuff on this board implying or asserting that nowadays, no Muslim in Europe even dares speak up anymore out of fear of being slain the next day. That's what I meant with a cartoonesque perception. I kinda took your post in that context and spoke up about how there's in fact many people like the two you praised.

But, like I already said, fair enough - speaking up in a paper or a website is easier to do than on the street. Though you might, of course, take the example also to mean that it is, in fact, less dangerous to do so than you seem to assume.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:18 am
Lash wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lash wrote:
JW does rock.

Massively.
As does Nimh.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Imagine how informative A2K would be if everyone, on both sides, took the time to be informed and argued their positions with the grace of those two. Idea

Even those who can write interminably with a seeming lack of aggression and bias, are informed largely by their preferences moreso than unadulterated facts....no less so than the rabble. It's just not as readily apparent, which may be of value in some circles, where content comes in a distant second to delivery. Idea

Hehheh. The peanut gallery chimes in. This must be Lash in best form: an entire post consisting exclusively of a personal attack, without any substantive point of its own, that nevertheless ends with a flourish about the shame of those to whom "content comes a distant second". :wink:

Not to mention perceiving a friendly enough exchange of addendums between JW and me as an argumentative "slaughter" of sorts. To some mind states every exchange is akin to war I guess.

Lash herself fails to ever return to assertions she's proven wrong on (what about those "riots sweeping Europe" over the cartoons, for example?), but no, its the others who are informed by their preferences rather than "unadulterated facts". Right.

<insert rolling eye smiley..>
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:23 am
nimh wrote:
Lash wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Lash wrote:
JW does rock.

Massively.
As does Nimh.

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Hehheh. The peanut gallery chimes in. This must be Lash in best form: an entire post consisting exclusively of a personal attack, without any substantive point of its own, that nevertheless ends with a flourish about the shame of those to whom "content comes a distant second". :wink:

Not to mention perceiving a friendly enough exchange of addendums between JW and me as an argumentative "slaughter" of sorts. To some mind states every exchange is akin to war I guess.

Lash herself fails to ever return to assertions she's proven wrong on (what about those "riots sweeping Europe" over the cartoons, for example?), but no, its the others who are informed by their preferences rather than "unadulterated facts". Right.

<insert rolling eye smiley..>

Hmmm. What would you call this post of yours other than an entire post consisting exclusively of a personal attack?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:33 am
I couldn't understand why Bill felt the need to comment on my support of JW's exchange with you.

Odd that you took it personally. His comment was: Imagine how informative A2K would be if everyone, on both sides, took the time to be informed and argued their positions with the grace of those two. <insulting light bulb>

I responded to that. You were no part of my post, other than your unspoken inclusion as one of many, who could be characterized by Bill's comment, and therefore, my response.

Meaning, for anyone who needs it spelled out, just because one speaks long and doesn't include immediately recognizable insults, doesn't mean they aren't biased or insulting.

I thought you agreed to stop responding to my posts...? Your obsession with yourself mucks up my rhythm.

JW was correct. You admitted it. I applauded it. Get over yourself.

And, if you don't think violence is erupting all over the world, and Muslims are to thank for it--I'm uninterested in "proving it" to you. You may continue happily in your bubble of denial.

Fox-- Re: Gulliver, you will recognize our Yahoo. Laughing Thank you for pointing it out.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:46 am
Steve (and Lord Ellpus), you might also be heartened by this site I recently came across on: Salaam.co.uk blog on cartoons row

It's very much a British-Muslim POV - they're outraged by the cartoons - but they seem relief-fully sane and reasoned about it.

Ergo, on the one hand:

Quote:
The [cartoon] images did not reflect any single positive aspect of Islam but rather played on the worst possible stereotypes of the religion and its prophet as woman-hating, violent and suicidal.

But on the other:

Quote:
in Britain, the Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) [..] has issued statements calling on Muslims to keep their protest within the law and eschew completely any incitement to hatred [..]

The MCB's fears were prompted by the demonstrators outside the Danish embassy in London carrying placards with offensive slogans - "butcher those who mock Islam", " Britain, you will pay, 7/7 on its way".

For some Muslims such behaviour was playing into the hands of those who wished for Islam to be portrayed in the worst possible light. It remains a moment of crisis, because hot-heads and their clever manipulators could create a backlash so as to lead a community to oblivion.

Several Muslim representatives attending a meeting of the MCB in Birmingham on 4th February 2006 urged that the best approach for Muslims in the face of provocations and insults was to behave like the Prophet would have - with dignity magnanimity and compassion. Reference was made to the Prophet's experience at Taif and his response.

Salma Yaqub, a respected voice within the community, urged the imams present to think carefully of the impact of their words on congregations - "we don't need to prove who loves the Prophet most". Of course all Muslims are deeply offended, but the need of the hour was to channel the community's emotions towards positive action.

Likely initiatives within the community will be meetings and other attempts to explain the life of the Prophet.

Community initiatives - updated 12th Feb 2006

Saturday 11th February - rally in Trafalgar Square 'United against incitement, United against Islamophobia', 1pm to 5 pm - organised by a broad coalition - for a report see Salaam blogs A cold afternoon at Trafalgar Square

[..]

Further down this blog, they list a range of views they dub "Sane voices", from both sides. An example is Mahmood Mamdani, who stridently resents the cartoons but opposes calls for violence - or a publication ban, for that matter:

Quote:

Tariq Modood expounds in more detail on these points. You may not agree with him, but he is clearly a reasoned voice, as far from the violent zealots as any of us. If this, too, is the voice of Muslim Britain, there is still plenty of hope for the integration of Muslim dissent into the realm of non-violent political debate and civil society activism.

Quote:
The origins of the infamous Danish cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed do not lie in an attempt to offer contemporary comment, let alone satire, but the desire to illustrate a childrens' book. While such pictures would have been distasteful to many Muslims - hence why no illustrator could be found - the cartoons are in an entirely different league of offence. They are all unfriendly to Islam and Muslims and the most notorious implicate the prophet with terrorism. If the message was meant to be that non-Muslims have the right to draw Mohammed, it has come out very differently: that the prophet of Islam was a terrorist.

Moreover, the cartoons are not just about one individual but about Muslims per se - just as a cartoon portraying Moses as a crooked financier would not be about one man but a comment on Jews. And just as the latter would be racist, so are the cartoons in question.

That does not in itself mean such cartoons should be banned. One relies on the sensitivity and responsibility of individuals and institutions to refrain from what is legal but unacceptable. Where these qualities are missing one relies on public debate and censure to provide standards and restraints. Hence, where matters are not or cannot easily be regulated by law one relies on protest as well as empathy. This is how most racist speech and images and other free expressions (e.g., the use of golliwogs as commercial brands or British television's Black and White Minstrel Show) have been censured - rather than censored - away. [..]

[T]he cartoons themselves are a trigger rather than the main issue, for everyone - Muslims and non-Muslims - "views" them (whether literally or imaginatively) in a wider domestic and international context that is already deeply contested. From the Muslim side, the underlying causes of their current anger are a deep sense that they are not respected, that they and their most cherished feelings are "fair game". Inferior protective legislation, socio-economic marginality, cultural disdain, draconian security surveillance, the occupation of Palestine, the international "war on terror" all converge on this point. The cartoons cannot be compared to some of these situations, but they do distil the experience of inferiority and of being bossed around. A handful of humiliating images become a focal point for something much bigger than themselves.

This at least helps to explain if not condone some of the violent protests in several Muslim cities, and the language of some of the initial protestors in places like Copenhagen and London. Such behaviour is wholly unacceptable and does great damage to the cause of the protestors and to the standing of Muslims in general. Yet while violent protests do not win Muslims many friends, they are not the principal reason for a lack of sympathy for Muslims. Much more real estate has been burnt and more lives lost and endangered in protests in, say, Detroit or Los Angeles; in cases like that protest has been understood by many commentators and politicians as legitimate rage to be addressed by positive socio-economic policies.

Two factors are critical to the lack of sympathy for Muslims in Europe. First, there is a lack of recognition that the way that Muslims are treated is a form of racism [..]

The second reason is the idea - prevalent amongst anti-racists, the progressive intelligentsia and beyond - that religious people are not worthy of protection; more than that, they should be subject to not just intellectual criticism but mockery and ridicule.

The idea is that religion represents Europe's pre-enlightenment dark age of superstition and clerical authoritarianism and so has to be constantly kept at bay. [..]

This understanding of religion is deep in the culture of the centre-left intelligentsia and is what is being appealed to in the current sloganeering around "freedom of expression". That's why, when Muslims counter by citing what Europeans regard as acceptable limits to freedom of speech (e.g., the imprisonment of holocaust deniers), it cuts little ice; for no one actually disagrees with limits to freedom of expression as such, it is just that some will not limit it in the field of religion. [..]

(Read the full article here at opendemocracy.net, which is where Salaam.co.uk got it from. I certainly don't agree with everything he says, but did think he makes some very good points, and is overall thought-provoking.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:11 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Hmmm. What would you call this post of yours other than an entire post consisting exclusively of a personal attack?

A response to a personal attack?

Lash's strident rejection of an innocuous compliment Bill made to me (yes, Lash, I know you made certain to avoid using the actual word "nimh", but we're not crazy), on the other hand came totally out of nowhere. <shrugs>

Lash wrote:
I thought you agreed to stop responding to my posts...? Your obsession with yourself mucks up my rhythm.

I thought you agreed to stop responding to my posts, too?

If you dont want my replies to muck up your rhythm, dont post stuff about me. <shrugs>

Lash wrote:
And, if you don't think violence is erupting all over the world, and Muslims are to thank for it--I'm uninterested in "proving it" to you. You may continue happily in your bubble of denial.

And now we come to the crux of the clash between Lash's world and nimh's world. The thing is that nimh's world is all about those pesky "unadulterated facts" Lash was preaching about just now.

Yes, IN THE WORLD violence over the cartoons has erupted in many places. Never said it wasnt. Never said anything about it, in fact.

However, you spoke of "riots sweeping EUROPE". Remember? (Course you do, cause I just quoted it, above, in the post you responded to.)

So <shrugs> - another nonsequitor I presume.

When someone calls you on some wild exaggeration or other that you posted, please dont go on about how he is "rigidly ignorant" or in a "bubble of denial" because, you know, something else in the general direction, but not actually quite anything like it, IS true ... it's stupid.
0 Replies