Can berating other members be bad for A2k?

extra medium

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:06 pm
heh.

Like I said, I appreciate a good berating.

If the berater knows how to mix the pain with just a bit of pleasure, it can be quite nice.

I have to step out.

Nice to see you Lash. Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:32 pm
Well, if nothing else, we've certainly cemented for this thread a rating on the B list.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:37 pm
See you later, extra. Smile
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
Well being berated is sometimes good for the beratee. It raises our adrenaline level, makes us reexamine our position, and helps us focus our arguments. At some point, though, you just don't feed the beraters insecurity any longer and ignore them. I like A2K and think there are some very good thinkers here.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:53 pm
I agree there are soem good thinkers, but i think everything is too stiff ^^ so hopefully I can help lighten things up with some threads...well IMO some people here are really really formal.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
Lets all join hands and be friends ^^ everyoen be happy!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:11 pm
crayon851 wrote:
I agree there are soem good thinkers, but i think everything is too stiff ^^ so hopefully I can help lighten things up with some threads...well IMO some people here are really really formal.

Maybe we appear formal because we use capitalization, periods and commas.

Seriously crayon, I think I might be missing some of the good things you have to say, because it's difficult to read what you type.

It sounds like one big run on sentence (and believe me, I'm the queen of the run on sentence).

When I try to read you I start reading really quickly, because your style indicates you're talking really fast and just running on an on.

That post I made about my head spinning?

That was because I couldn't tell when you were finishing one thought and starting another. That's what periods are for.

Try it for a little while, and I bet you'll be surprised to see that people will start to take you more seriously.

When you see me write in all lower case in a thread, it's indicating I'm just making an off the cuff comment, you know, an aside.
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:27 pm
Well in essays and writing assignments I write formally since it is expected and is a requirement. However, on forums I dont feel the need to do so since its more or less informal chat about various topics, even though some topics may be formal. I skip the use of proper punctuation because, well I am just simply lazy ^^, and having to capitalize every starting character in a sentence is just too much of a burden. Whether you take my comments seriously or not is your choice; but as long as you can respond to my comments, I find no problems with the way I type. If you'd like me to type in proper form with all the correct grammar and punctuation, it would be my pleasure to do so ^^

hey i did it all formal hopefully. My writing is abhorrent when it comes to vocab, grammar, and punctuation Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
It isn't a matter of preference or of convenience, it is a matter of communication. All of us make typos, of course, and spelling and useage errors abound, but some communicate more effectively than do others. Something to think about, if one has something to communicate and one's intent is to communicate. Pointless pondering, however, as would pertain to those who wish merely to see their words appear on a monitor. Generally, its pretty easy to tell who's who in such regard.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 01:48 pm
Quote:
It isn't a matter of preference or of convenience, it is a matter of communication.

yeesh.

Joe(thank you, Timber)Nation
0 Replies

crayon851

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
you dont like how I type?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:13 pm
crayon851 wrote:
you dont like how I type?

No.

Now sit up staight, good posture is important too. Fingertips lightly on the keyboard, good, away you go................NO, NO, NO, you dont need to bash the keys, it doesnt make the words any more effective. Back straight..... excellent. Dont forget when you finish typing to come off ^^ (the keyboard you jerk) nicely............. and spell check.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:25 pm
crayon851 wrote:
Well in essays and writing assignments I write formally since it is expected and is a requirement. However, on forums I dont feel the need to do so since its more or less informal chat about various topics, even though some topics may be formal. I skip the use of proper punctuation because, well I am just simply lazy ^^, and having to capitalize every starting character in a sentence is just too much of a burden. Whether you take my comments seriously or not is your choice; but as long as you can respond to my comments, I find no problems with the way I type. If you'd like me to type in proper form with all the correct grammar and punctuation, it would be my pleasure to do so ^^

hey i did it all formal hopefully. My writing is abhorrent when it comes to vocab, grammar, and punctuation Very Happy

Yes, and for the very first time I really understood what you said.

crayon my son.....you have no idea what a burden is, if you think moving your pinkie finger to the shift key is one.

Also, you mentioned being lazy. Well, if you are that lazy, you shouldn't be trying to communicate with other humans.

If you are truly trying to use this forum as a learning experience (and you have, since you took me up and making a proper effort to apologize) then maybe you should seriously read some of this other advice.

I'm not talking from some ivory tower, just from more experience with life than you have right now.

Anyway, you say you wrote properly (you're really not being formal, you're just doing it the proper way) because it's expected and required.
Well, writing properly is expected in ALL areas of life. Of course it's not required here, but it certainly is expected.

Some of the comments you made above, I'm sure you don't realize it, but they were very very selfish and not at all adult.

When an adult is trying to communicate to someone else, the responsibility of helping the other person to understand is his, NOT the person who is listening. Really.

The part about taking you seriously or not is the listeners choice? Again, a selfish thing to say.
How can the listener take you seriously when they can't easily follow what you're saying?

Picture what is going on right now, or what will be going on at any point in the future regarding this post. Literally hundreds of people might read what you and I are saying to each other.

The way I'm writing, most of them will be able to understand me, without having to furrow their brows or stop to reread something. Since I've written pretty clearly, I've made it easier for a lot of people to understand what I'm saying. In otherwords I AM RESPONSIBLE for ensuring that other people understand what I'm trying to get at.

I'm the only one who had to put some effort into it.

In the way you've been writing, the same hundreds of people will have to figure out what your getting at, shake their heads, maybe even give up because they have other things that need to get done.

In your way, you are making hundreds of people work harder just so they can understand you. Because you're too lazy, and you see it as a burden.

That, crayon is selfish, thinking only of yourself, and your convenience, and not giving a damn about the fact that perhaps you could be developing some great friendships. If only we could understand you.

You've said before you don't care, but believe me, you're going to be in for a tremendous surprise very shortly in life if you think for a moment that people out in the world are all going to muddle through your poor writing to understand you.

You say then you'll write properly because it matters? What? We don't matter? This actually is an excellent place for you to practic.

As you already know about me, I'm not going to pat your head and make excuses to others for you, like, but he's YOUNG, he doesn't KNOW....

Well, here's the chance for you to learn.

You take the big burden of writing properly on your shoulders for maybe even a week....and I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that you'll will be getting treated much differently, and in a way you'll be very happy about.

Here is one of the most important things I have ever learned crayon, and I'd like to share it with you....take it in whatever way you want, but truer words have never been said....

The world doesn't owe you ANYTHING.

Think about that, when you own that in your heart, you will actually find a great freedom, because you know you are responsible for yourself, and will accept the consequencies of your actions.

You right poorly, the world, which owes you nothing, will treat you like you aren't very intelligent.

You right properly, the world, who still owes you nothing, is much more likely to treat you like your intelligent.

I know you have people that are older than you that you are will to learn from.

Well, I AM older than you, and I know much more about life than you. One thing you can believe about me is I'll never lie to you crayon, and that's important.

Please don't come back answering me like a child, start to act like a man.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:42 pm
Laughing One might also consider writing concisely. :wink:
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:49 pm
Oooh,
look at Chai, gettin' all mommity... :wink:
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:50 pm
Sorta spittin' into the wind to go makin' rules for other folks - they're gonna do what they wanna do, regardless how anyone else feels about it.

On the other hand, what comes of what one does - the recognition and respect earned by and accorded to one's actions and pronouncements - is another matter entirely; its up to the individual to gain for his/her actions and pronouncements the respect and regard that individual wishes them to achieve.

Proper writing does not entail formal writing; conversational style serves quite well in the interest of communication, often moreso than pedantic propriety. Have you ever really read the fine print on a warning label or credit card offer, warranty, or other formal contract? Typically, that sort of thing is presented in absolutely, unambiguously correct formal useage and grammar, yet how understandable is it?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:54 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Oooh,

hey, I'm starting to squirt choclate soy milk from my dirty pillows!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:56 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Oh God, I know, I know Rolling Eyes

I am the absolute worst at that concision-ness-isity. Laughing
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 02:57 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:
Oooh,

hey, I'm starting to squirt choclate soy milk from my dirty pillows!

music to the ears of a vegetarian...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 03:09 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

ok ok bill, I never knew what to put in my profile description, but thanks to you, I was finally able to think of something to say about myself....

go ahead
check it out.

ct
0 Replies