State of the union speech.So what.

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:33 pm
We, the nation will be blessed with Bush's words of, pardon the expression, wisdom from the great orator this week. By way of the state of the union speech. Do you expect to hear anything new or will it be just a continuation of the line that the administration has been feeding the American people all along.
What impact, if any, do you believe the State of the union speech has upon the electorate. In fact how many even bother to read or listen to it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,746 • Replies: 249
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:44 pm
I have never respected the man enough to sit through a whole speach.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:21 pm
Listening to him speak is like fingernails on the chalk board for me. I'll read the transcript later.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:29 pm
FreeDuck
What gets me is the idiotic look on his face when he makes a speech. I prefer to read the transcript. Not that i expect to find anything meaningful in it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:28 pm
No, but at least it's readable. Yeah, the facial expressions make it even more difficult to watch.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:29 pm
Mark
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:39 pm
It'll be bullshit and lies and half of America will accept it as gospel. No more no less.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
and..... we have not one but TWO new boogeyman to keep folks scared shitless. damn he's lucky.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:46 pm
It's the bifecta.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:54 pm
It should be the shortest SOTU in history.

FUBAR, Goodnight.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 03:54 pm
Would you care to venture a guess how many times Bush will mention 9/11 and terrorism in his state of the union speech. I have little doubt that it will be the main theme of his speech and justification for all his F*ckups.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:00 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
and..... we have not one but TWO new boogeyman to keep folks scared shitless. damn he's lucky.

Boo !!!

Quote:
WASHINGTON -- Once upon a time, we had a great wartime president who told Americans they had nothing to fear but fear itself. Now we have George W. Bush, who uses fear as a tool of executive power and as a political weapon against his opponents.

Franklin D. Roosevelt tried his best to allay his nation's fears in the midst of an epic struggle against fascism. Bush, as he leads the country in a war whose nature he keeps redefining, keeps fear alive because it has been so useful. His political Grand Vizier, Karl Rove, was perfectly transparent the other day when he emerged from wherever he's been hiding the past few months and gave the Republican National Committee its positioning statement for the fall elections: Vote for us or die.

Democrats "have a pre-9/11 worldview'' of national security that is "deeply and profoundly and consistently wrong,'' Rove said. The clear subtext was that Americans would court mortal danger by electing Democrats.

<snip>

Quote:
Bush mentioned the new tape from Osama bin Laden that surfaced the other day, calling it a reminder that we face "an enemy who wants to hurt us again." That's certainly true, but the warning would carry more gravitas if Bush and his administration didn't brag so much about how thoroughly al-Qaida has been routed and decimated.

And Americans would be better able to measure the threat from bin Laden if Bush and the rest of his administration didn't argue that Iraq is the "central front in the war on terrorism.'' If Iraq is the main event, then bin Laden, huddled in some cave in northern Pakistan, must be just a sideshow, right? But of course he's not a sideshow, he's the author of the 9/11 attacks, so what does that make Iraq? The answer seems to depend on whether, at any given time, Bush believes that cultivating fear of bin Laden or stoking fear of a terrorist spawning ground in Iraq would better help his administration achieve its ends.

Bin Laden does remain a threat. He would hit the United States again if he could. We do expect the president to protect us. But a great wartime leader rallies his citizens by informing them and inspiring them. He certainly doesn't use threats to our national security for political gain. He doesn't just point at a map and say "Boo."

Playing the fear card
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:28 pm
Live!! From D.C. !!!

.........It's The

George W. Bush

COMEDY HOUR !!!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:07 pm
This thread represents the classic e-forum circle jerk.

"We hate Bush!" "Bush is an idiot!" "My hatred of Bush is so righteous that I refuse to listen to him!"

How utterly idiotic, childish and impotent.

If you truly hate and fear Bush you have to listen to what he is saying.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
Oh, I neither hate nor fear him, I just can't stand to hear him speak. So I'll read the transcript later.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:14 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
This thread represents the classic e-forum circle jerk.

"We hate Bush!" "Bush is an idiot!" "My hatred of Bush is so righteous that I refuse to listen to him!"

How utterly idiotic, childish and impotent.

If you truly hate and fear Bush you have to listen to what he is saying.

The only thing "classic" about this thread is the central character - George Bush is a classic idiot. I listen to Limbaugh and Hannity and O'Reilly occasionally, to see what my ideological enemies are thinking. So maybe you csould say I "have" to listen to them. But the simpering pseudo-cowboy from Crawford is too frikkin nauseatingly clueless to stomach.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:14 pm
I agree with Finn d'Abuzz about how you have to listen to what he's saying.

I don't believe that reading the transcript disqualifies anyone from having "heard" though.

I think it will be all about saftey <be afraid> .

I usually try to listen but finding a chunk of uninterrupted time is difficult so I usually rely on the transcripts too.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
Oh you can all respond with would-be clever retorts, but if Bush were really the enemy, you would listen to him. If only to determine how well he came across in his presentation.

Instead you are all a bunch of revolutionary dilettantes.

Do you think the opponents to the Theocracy in Iran, or the dictatorships in China and Burma sneeringly bypass the speeches of their oppressors?

Either he is not the enemy or you are all a poor example of the opposition to the enemy.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:33 pm
I think it's perfectly plausible that he is not the enemy AND we are all a poor example of the opposition to the enemy. So what are you?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I think it's perfectly plausible that he is not the enemy AND we are all a poor example of the opposition to the enemy. So what are you?

Well, we agree that you are all a poor example of the opposition.

I am a supporter of Bush, but I will listen to his speech to determine if my support can be sustained. I will not assume, based on ideological bias, that what he has to say is reasonable or unreasonable.
0 Replies