Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:59 pm
Quote:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:41 am
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

It's all there in Project of the New American Century website for anyone who wants to take their blinders off to read and understand.

Do you think the New American Century website is a source of more reliable information about Bush's true motives for invading Iraq than is Bush himself?

If you do, why do you think that?

Because Bush tells lies.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 07:29 am
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:

It's all there in Project of the New American Century website for anyone who wants to take their blinders off to read and understand.

Do you think the New American Century website is a source of more reliable information about Bush's true motives for invading Iraq than is Bush himself?

If you do, why do you think that?

Yes I do, everything they laid out they have put in motion. Those same people are the power behind Bush today have been the driving force for the invasion of Iraq since the beginning.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:09 pm
Just in as 'Breaking News' from the Guardian

Quote:
7pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bush told Blair we're going to war, memo reveals

· PM backed invasion despite illegality warnings
· Plan to disguise US jets as UN planes
· Bush: postwar violence unlikely

Richard Norton-Taylor
Thursday February 2, 2006

Tony Blair told President George Bush that he was "solidly" behind US plans to invade Iraq before he sought advice about the invasion's legality and despite the absence of a second UN resolution, according to a new account of the build-up to the war published today.
A memo of a two-hour meeting between the two leaders at the White House on January 31 2003 - nearly two months before the invasion - reveals that Mr Bush made it clear the US intended to invade whether or not there was a second resolution and even if UN inspectors found no evidence of a banned Iraqi weapons programme.

"The diplomatic strategy had to be arranged around the military planning", the president told Mr Blair. The prime minister is said to have raised no objection. He is quoted as saying he was "solidly with the president and ready to do whatever it took to disarm Saddam".
The disclosures come in a new edition of Lawless World, by Phillipe Sands, a QC and professor of international law at University College, London. Professor Sands last year exposed the doubts shared by Foreign Office lawyers about the legality of the invasion in disclosures which eventually forced the prime minister to publish the full legal advice given to him by the attorney general, Lord Goldsmith.

The memo seen by Prof Sands reveals:

· Mr Bush told the Mr Blair that the US was so worried about the failure to find hard evidence against Saddam that it thought of "flying U2 reconnaissance aircraft planes with fighter cover over Iraq, painted in UN colours". Mr Bush added: "If Saddam fired on them, he would be in breach [of UN resolutions]".

· Mr Bush even expressed the hope that a defector would be extracted from Iraq and give a "public presentation about Saddam's WMD". He is also said to have referred Mr Blair to a "small possibility" that Saddam would be "assassinated".

· Mr Blair told the US president that a second UN resolution would be an "insurance policy", providing "international cover, including with the Arabs" if anything went wrong with the military campaign, or if Saddam increased the stakes by burning oil wells, killing children, or fomenting internal divisions within Iraq.

· Mr Bush told the prime minister that he "thought it unlikely that there would be internecine warfare between the different religious and ethnic groups". Mr Blair did not demur, according to the book.

The revelation that Mr Blair had supported the US president's plans to go to war with Iraq even in the absence of a second UN resolution contrasts with the assurances the prime minister gave parliament shortly after. On February 23 2003 - three weeks after his trip to Washington - Mr Blair told the Commons that the government was giving "Saddam one further final chance to disarm voluntarily".

He added: "Even now, today, we are offering Saddam the prospect of voluntary disarmament through the UN. I detest his regime - I hope most people do - but even now, he could save it by complying with the UN's demand. Even now, we are prepared to go the extra step to achieve disarmament peacefully."

On March 18, before the crucial vote on the war, he told MPs: "The UN should be the focus both of diplomacy and of action ... [and that not to take military action] would do more damage in the long term to the UN than any other single course that we could pursue."

The meeting between Mr Bush and Mr Blair, attended by six close aides, came at a time of growing concern about the failure of any hard intelligence to back up claims that Saddam was producing weapons of mass destruction in breach of UN disarmament obligations. It took place a few days before the then US secretary Colin Powell made claims - since discredited - in a dramatic presentation at the UN about Iraq's weapons programme.

Earlier in January 2003, Jack Straw, the foreign secretary, expressed his private concerns about the absence of a smoking gun in a private note to Mr Blair that month, according to the book. He said he hoped that the UN's chief weapons inspector, Hans Blix, would come up with enough evidence to report a breach by Iraq of is its UN obligations.

The extent of concern in Washington at the time is reflected in the plan to send US planes over Iraq disguised in UN livery - itself a clear breach of international law.

Prof Sands also says that Sir Jeremy Greenstock, Britain's UN ambassador at the time, told a colleague from another country that he was "clearly uncomfortable" about the failure to get a second resolution.

Foreign Office lawyers consistently warned that an invasion would be regarded as unlawful. The book reveals that Elizabeth Wilmshurst, the FO's deputy chief legal adviser who resigned over the war, told the Butler inquiry, into the use of intelligence during the run-up to the war, of her belief that Lord Goldsmith, the attorney general, shared the FO view.

Lord Goldsmith told the FO lawyers in early 2003: "The prime minister has told me that I cannot give advice, but you know what my views are", according to private evidence to the Butler inquiry.

Shortly afterwards, in February 2003, Lord Goldsmith visited Washington where he had talks with William Taft, Mr Powell's legal adviser. Mr Taft is quoted in the book as as saying Lord Goldsmith also met "our attorney general [then John Ashcroft], and people at the Pentagon".

On March 7 2003 Lord Goldsmith advised the prime minister that the Bush administration believed that a case could be made for an invasion without a second UN resolution. But he warned that Britain, if it went ahead, could be challenged in the international criminal court. Ten days later, he said a second resolution was not necessary.

Sir Menzies Campbell, Liberal Democrat acting leader, said last night: "The fact that consideration was apparently given to using American military aircraft in UN colours in the hope of provoking Saddam Hussein is a graphic illustration of the rush to war. It would also appear to be the case that the diplomatic efforts in New York after the meeting of January 31 were simply going through the motions, with decision for military action already taken."

Sir Menzies continued: "The prime minister's offer of February 23 to Saddam Hussein was about as empty as it could get. He has a lot of explaining to do."
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 01:20 pm
beat me to it, WH. Here's a link to a Channel Four article:

http://www.channel4.com/news/special-reports/special-reports-storypage.jsp?id=1661

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:

I only notice it as I scroll by your posts!!
Anon

Solution is obvious. If you can't tolerate the smell of fish, stop scrolling by my posts. Perhaps a more leisurely passage might help.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:33 pm
Wait! What exactly will you be passing, ican!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:36 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Wait! What exactly will you be passing, ican!

GAS!!

Anon
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 02:40 pm
Walter, some memo.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 03:10 pm
So. Smirking Tony is being exposed, bit by bit.

I wonder how he'll try to wriggle out of this one- and if our useless Parliament will now begin to find its voice, and its moral sense.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 04:07 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

Solution is obvious. If you can't tolerate the smell of fish, stop scrolling by my posts. Perhaps a more leisurely passage might help.

Ican, I think you're nuts, but I love ya too! You crack me up!!

Anon
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:01 pm
emphasis added by me

Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just in as 'Breaking News' from the ... Guardian

Quote:
7pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bush told Blair we're going to war, memo reveals

· PM backed invasion despite illegality warnings
· Plan to disguise US jets as UN planes
· Bush: postwar violence unlikely

Richard Norton-Taylor
Thursday February 2, 2006

Tony Blair told President George Bush that he was "solidly" behind US plans to invade Iraq before he sought advice about the invasion's legality and despite the absence of a second UN resolution, according to a new account of the build-up to the war published today.

A memo of a two-hour meeting between the two leaders at the White House on January 31 2003 - nearly two months before the invasion - reveals that Mr Bush made it clear the US intended to invade whether or not there was a second resolution and even if UN inspectors found no evidence of a banned Iraqi weapons programme.

Breaking news Question Hell, that's just another Guardian article making "much ado about nothing."

January 31 2003 is more than three months after:
Quote:
Public Law 107-243 107th Congress Joint Resolution Oct. 16, 2002 (H.J. Res. 114) To authorize the use of United States Armed Forces against Iraq
(10) Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and interests, including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, are known to be in Iraq;

(11) Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist organizations, including organizations that threaten the lives and safety of United States citizens;
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:08 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Breaking news Question Hell, that's just another Guardian article making "much ado about nothing."

I was just reporting how the Guardian was publictating it .... I could have quoted some dozen other media as well - it was shown on tv (Channel 4) as quoted by Cycloptichorn, is mentioned by all international media by now ....

It's not about what and when the US congress decided something, ican, if you perhaps try to read what you copied.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:11 pm
Anon-Voter wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

Anon

Well, I did suspect you were smelling your own sweat. So I recommended a more leisurely passage to help you reduce your sweat rate and, hopefully, the magnitude of its fish smell.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:29 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

It's not about what and when the US congress decided something, ican, if you perhaps try to read what you copied.

It is about when Bush decided to invade Iraq whether or not Iraq possessed WMD. That decision was made after Congress declared war against Iraq and before Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq.

Seems quite reasonable and responsible to me, given that Iraq allowed sanctuary to al-Qaeda beginning back in December 2001, two months after Bush ordered the invasion of Afghanistan and 15 months before Bush ordered the invasion of Iraq.

For Bush to seek Blair's support before he ordered the invasion of Iraq also seems quite reasonable and responsible to me. For both Bush and Blair to conclude that the al-Qaeda in Iraq were a significant threat to both the USA and Britain that would become comparable to that of al-Qaeda in Afghanistan, also seems quite reasonable and responsible to me.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:31 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Anon-Voter wrote:

Anon

Anon

Well, I did suspect you were smelling your own sweat. So I recommended a more leisurely passage to help you reduce your sweat rate and, hopefully, the magnitude of its fish smell.

Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:47 pm
Quote:

Scotsman.com News
Thursday, 2nd February 2006
Politics
The Scotsman Mon 30 Jan 2006
Blair and Bush's UN 'collusion'

A WHITE House leak claims Tony Blair and George Bush plotted to go to war against Iraq without United Nations backing at a secret meeting.

A new edition of a book insists the two leaders went through the motions of getting UN support for military action - but were united on invasion even if the UN failed to back them.

The book, by London University law professor Phillipe Sands, said Mr Blair gave his total support to Mr Bush at the secret White House meeting in January 2003. After the meeting, the two leaders gave a press conference where Mr Bush appeared to support going for a second UN resolution to give specific approval for a war.

But Prof Sands' book, entitled Lawless World, claims that president Bush had earlier displayed open contempt for the UN during the summit, made wild threats against Iraq dictator Saddam Hussein and displayed astounding ignorance of the likely post-war problems.

©2006 Scotsman.com | contact

You are wrong again Ican ,,,,,
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:24 pm
D, the word from Salaam Pax is most interesting. He has his ear to the ground.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:00 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:

You are wrong again Ican ,,,,,

No! It's the professor who is wrong and so are you for believing he is right. The professor's interpretation and characterization is the all too prevailing hate-Bush paranoid interpretation of what was in fact a rational and responsible planning process.

Congress declared war on Iraq in October 2002 for among other reasons two individually sufficient and separate reasons:
Quote:
(10) Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility for attacks on the United States, its citizens, and interests, including the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, are known to be in Iraq;

(11) Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist organizations, including organizations that threaten the lives and safety of United States citizens;

After that, Bush actively sought UN support until he finally realized that both France and Russia would veto any UN resolution that supported invasion of Iraq, because of their large financial interest in keeping Saddam in power. So after more than three months of vain effort, Bush finally decided to order invasion of Iraq and removal of the Saddam regime whether Iraq is shown to possesses WMD or not.

About two months before he actually orders the invasion, Bush continues to seek UN support knowing that he probably won't get it even with a speech to the UN by Powell. Only a few days before Powell's speech, Bush met with Blair and wisely invited Blair's support for an invasion of Iraq with or without an UN resolution, and Blair wisely gave Bush that support.

As Bush rightly anticipated, not even the news delivered to the UN by Powell that terrorists had gained sanctuary in Iraq, changed the minds of the French and Russians.

Iraq was invaded a little over a month after that, and within two weeks our invasion force in support of a Kurd force verified that al-Qaeda had been allowed sanctuary in Iraq by the Saddam regime despite our multiple requests -- never responded to by Saddam's regime even after Powell's public declaration of those requests -- to extradite the al-Qaeda leadership.

In my opinion, Bush tried too long to enlist the UN's support when it was obvious early he wouldn't get it. He delayed the invasion for too long and thereby allowed the Saddam regime extra time to prepare its gorilla war, supported by thousands of ordnance caches throughout Iraq, following the Coalition's initial victories.

Detailed plans for Saddam's gorilla war have been discovered and recently reported here and elsewhere.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 12:04 am
That's a nice story, but not accurate to reality.

Bush and Blair decided to attack months before the UN presentation by Powell. Hell, Bush's handlers decided to attack Iraq before 9/11 even happened.

Your story makes it seem as if they weren't decided until the last minute. That's bullsh*t. And your lists of reasons why we invaded Iraq focuses on #10 and #11, because the other more important reasons were in fact lies. So don't make it out as if Bush came to some sort of reasoned decision after months of agonizing stuggle.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies