Bush won't tolerate nuclear Iran

old europe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:00 am
Foxfyre wrote:
There were a handful of "Palestinians" there at the time the UN carved out a small county-sized area to be the Nation of Israel. There has not been time for that small group to have produced the Palestinian population that is there now.

So where did they come from?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
old europe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
There were a handful of "Palestinians" there at the time the UN carved out a small county-sized area to be the Nation of Israel. There has not been time for that small group to have produced the Palestinian population that is there now.

So where did they come from?

From all over the Middle East. They claim a migration back to the 'homeland' just as the Jews migrated back to the 'homeland' in Israel. The difference is the UN created Israel for the benefit of displaced Jews. The Palestinians do not accept that as valid. Thus the conflict. Look at any Middle East map and how tiny tiny TINY is the State of Israel in the midst of its Arab neighbors.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:18 am
Foxy, I can never tell whether you are in favor or against the UN. Sometimes you them to back up your claims, sometimes you attack them squarely.

However, you do realize that under the 1947 UN Partition Plan, Palestine was to be divided into two states of approximately equal size, one for Jews and one for the Palestinians? And you are aware that following the war of 1948, according to the UN 711,000 Palestinian Arabs left the region? Of course, the Israeli estimate of the refugees is 520,000 and the Palestinian estimate is 900,000.

But then, those numbers (of refugees, mind you) are clearly in the face of your argument that the region was almost unpopulated before the creation of the state of Israel.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
old europe wrote:
Foxy, I can never tell whether you are in favor or against the UN. Sometimes you them to back up your claims, sometimes you attack them squarely.

However, you do realize that under the 1947 UN Partition Plan, Palestine was to be divided into two states of approximately equal size, one for Jews and one for the Palestinians? And you are aware that following the war of 1948, according to the UN 711,000 Palestinian Arabs left the region? Of course, the Israeli estimate of the refugees is 520,000 and the Palestinian estimate is 900,000.

But then, those numbers (of refugees, mind you) are clearly in the face of your argument that the region was almost unpopulated before the creation of the state of Israel.

Yes, you are right. I was thinking of times before 1947, but that is a different story and I was incorrect in my timeline. (I am NOT well versed on 20th Century Middle Eastern history.) As for my opinion of the UN, we would have to cover almost 50 years of my awareness of the UN for a decision on that. At the present time I think it is a mostly toothless and corrupt organization. Fifty years ago it did better though it was flawed from its inception.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:36 am
Foxfyre wrote:
old europe wrote:

Yes, you are right. I was thinking of times before 1947, but that is a different story and I was incorrect in my timeline. (I am NOT well versed on 20th Century Middle Eastern history.) As for my opinion of the UN, we would have to cover almost 50 years of my awareness of the UN for a decision on that. At the present time I think it is a mostly toothless and corrupt organization. Fifty years ago it did better though it was flawed from its inception.

Since you agree with OE regarding how many Palestinians were in the area at the time of the creation of the state of Israel at what point do you think insurgents were planted in that area to be make Israel miserable?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
Quote:
Since you agree with OE regarding how many Palestinians were in the area at the time of the creation of the state of Israel at what point do you think insurgents were planted in that area to be make Israel miserable?

Absolutely. But I will concede that they may be in the minority among the Palestinians and that I was incorrect in how many Palestinians were living there at the time.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It is my opinion that the majority of the Palestinians are in fact militant insurgents planted in that area precisely for the purpose of making Israel's life miserable. ...But I know honest, educated Americans who are squarely in sympathy with the Palestinians on that issue. They aren't there and the only thing they have to influence their opinions is what they see on TV, read in the papers, or see on the internet. Look how many people post on these message boards an opinion that the terrorists are simply freedom fighters defending their homeland in the only way they know how

just for the sake of a devil's advocacy here, is it not true that the same can be said about any news or information that we get second hand absent of our personal on-site presence and observation ?

in other words, the administration constantly refers to the iraqi insurgence as "terrorists" as opposed to "freedom fighters" or "the iraqi resistance".

but how do you, without being there know with certainty that's the truth of the situation ?

you don't really, do you ?

it is, rather, what you believe to be the truth. BIG difference.

so really, it gets down to a question of at what point do you simply have to take the information at face value, weigh it using what ever empirical baselines you have and go from there.

part of that empirical baseline needs to be the consideration of the source, right ?

an example being that the delivery of information as broadcast by fox news will generally be of a different perspective than the way the same information is presented by msnbc. msnbc's delivery is different than cnn.

for myself, i try to get as many pov's as i can on a subject, look for similarities as well as disparities, use the baselines and work from that.

since we cannot be everywhere at once (how can you be in 2 places at once when you aren't anyplace at all ?? thanx f.t. !), we have no choice but to trust, but verify.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 01:54 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
It is my opinion that the majority of the Palestinians are in fact militant insurgents planted in that area precisely for the purpose of making Israel's life miserable. ...But I know honest, educated Americans who are squarely in sympathy with the Palestinians on that issue. They aren't there and the only thing they have to influence their opinions is what they see on TV, read in the papers, or see on the internet. Look how many people post on these message boards an opinion that the terrorists are simply freedom fighters defending their homeland in the only way they know how

just for the sake of a devil's advocacy here, is it not true that the same can be said about any news or information that we get second hand absent of our personal on-site presence and observation ?

in other words, the administration constantly refers to the iraqi insurgence as "terrorists" as opposed to "freedom fighters" or "the iraqi resistance".

but how do you, without being there know with certainty that's the truth of the situation ?

you don't really, do you ?

it is, rather, what you believe to be the truth. BIG difference.

so really, it gets down to a question of at what point do you simply have to take the information at face value, weigh it using what ever empirical baselines you have and go from there.

part of that empirical baseline needs to be the consideration of the source, right ?

an example being that the delivery of information as broadcast by fox news will generally be of a different perspective than the way the same information is presented by msnbc. msnbc's delivery is different than cnn.

for myself, i try to get as many pov's as i can on a subject, look for similarities as well as disparities, use the baselines and work from that.

since we cannot be everywhere at once (how can you be in 2 places at once when you aren't anyplace at all ?? thanx f.t. !), we have no choice but to trust, but verify.

Very astute observation DTOM. But wasn't it George Bernard Shaw who said something like if you rob Peter to pay Paul, you'll get Paul's approval and vote every time?

Sometime back, I think in the mid 1980's, the Hopi and Navajo peoples of Western New Mexico and Eastern Arizona had been in a decades long dispute over whose land was whose. Finally the government brokered a deal to allocate one part of the territory to the Navajos and one part to the Hopis. This required forced uprooting and moving of hundreds of Navajo and Hopi families from ancestral lands and relocating them to a different area. There were strong objections and even isolated incidents of violence, but the project was completed without whole neighborhoods being blown up and the two tribes coexist more or less peacefully over there as of now. What made it work is that neither side tolerated any violence and small uprisings were immediately put down. Both sides are trying to make it work. No need to take sides.

So what is different between Israel and Palestine? Well one side is intentionally blowing up places of worship, busses full of school chldren, market places, restaurants, etc. The other side doesn't, but does defend itself and exact retaliation. But only one side seems to be trying to make it work, and the other side seems to be doing its damndest to prevent that. Which side do you take?

In Iraq there wasn't even any forced uprooting and the majority of people are going about their daily prayers, marketing, jobs, schools, and tending their gardens and are hurting nobody. A small group of angry hostiles are blowing up the mosques, police stations, markets, and groups of the peaceful people. One side is trying to make it work. One side is on record as trying to prevent that. Which side do you take?

At some point we have to decide what sources we can trust and what sources we cannot and we have to decide which side or niether side to take. For me, I trust those who have no ideological agenda and no direct personal stake in the outcome to provide the best information and that would be the US military and others who are there to help.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 02:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
In Iraq...the majority of people are going about their daily prayers, marketing, jobs, schools, and tending their gardens and are hurting nobody. A small group of angry hostiles are blowing up the mosques, police stations, markets, and groups of the peaceful people. One side is trying to make it work. One side is on record as trying to prevent that...

once more, in a simple devil's advocacy, the landscape that you are describing is quite the same as that of france during the nazi occupation.

general note ---no... that doesn't mean i'm calling american soldiers nazis. so don't go there. :wink:

but from the standpoint of a smaller group taking on the mantel of freedom fighter while the general population at large goes about their daily business of survival, you can see the analogy.

the french resistance had a much different view of their own activities than the german command. to the german command, the f.r. were simply terrorists.

the same could be said of the white rose resistance in germany during the nazi era.

mostly made up of students, the white rose acted covertly to foil the nationalist front's goal, yet when referred to by the ministries, they were called disadents and communists.

since you mention that you mostly trust the u.s. military for the truth, i'd like to get your opinion on the discrepancies in what we here from the actual commanders and the pov offered by the white house sources.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 02:19 pm
http://web.amnesty.org/report2005/isr-summary-eng

Quote:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 06:04 pm
DTOM writes
Quote:
since you mention that you mostly trust the u.s. military for the truth, i'd like to get your opinion on the discrepancies in what we here from the actual commanders and the pov offered by the white house sources.

I have a lot of friends and relatives over there DTOM plus the Iraq and Afghanistan vets who are members here on A2K, the soldiers I write to, the message boards I read, the testimony I hear on TV and on the radio, and the reports I read in magazines and newspapers that are not committed to damaging the Bush presidency.

There are exceptions, of course, as you're going to find a few disgruntled representatives of any large group anywhere, but the huge majority of these tell me they are not getting a fair shake by the media, that what is actually happening over there is being distorted and misrepresented by the MSM. These people have no real political agenda or ax to grind and I trust what they're telling me. They are largely ignored by the MSM who seeks out one of those few disgruntled ones to feature on the front page.

I trust the reports of the military commanders, especially Tommy Franks, who was in on the ground floor of the inside debates and agonizing soul searching that went into the initial decision to go to Congress re the invasion of Afghanistan and then of Iraq. To hear some tell it it was all rashly and arrogantly decided even before 9/11. I think that is very wrong.

I don't think you're getting a huge difference in POV from the military commanders on the ground there and what the White House reports. I think you're getting a different POV from armchair quarterbacks who dislike the President.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:16 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
There seems to be a disconnect in your thinking here Finn, that is frankly, un-Finn like. At Auschwitz, some of the condemned Jews actually assisted the Nazi's in hope of living just a little longer. The instinct for self-preservation is pretty damn strong in us humans. I suspect that more than a few Nazi's were Nazi's for the exact same reason. Guys like Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jong Il etc. are not of the sort you want to cross. Crucify perhaps, but not cross. I think we'd all like to believe as individuals that we would never succumb to fear in such a situation but I for one am grateful that my medal has never been tested in such a way.

Indeed. I previously made a point that the majority of a tyrant's followers do so for reasons other than blind fanatacism, and, I contend, this applies to the followers of religion based tyrants as well.

Do you contend that belief in a rewarding Afterlife wouldn't make it easier for a man to overcome his instinct for self preservation? I'm not talking black and white here. Isn't it reasonable (perhaps even undeniably so) to suggest that the stronger a man's belief that he's going to heaven, the easier it is on his psyche to cross the proverbial bridge?

Of course it would be, but so would the promise that his family would be well rewarded, the expectation that he will become part of heroic legend or the belief that his death can accomplish far more than his life ever could.

In the case of the suicide bomber; you have an extreme example of a man overcoming his instinct for self preservation. Is it not, at least, a little easier to do so with a belief (with any amount of conviction) of a belief of the promised land… especially if you believe your actions will help you gain admission?

(Sighting examples of non-theist suicide attacks does not answer or even apply to these questions. My point is a matter of likelihood, not possibility. Sighting examples of good deeds perpetrated by the faithful is equally irrelevant. I'm not bashing religion or the religious; I'm trying to illustrate a dangerous side-effect.)

Suicide attackers are a relatively rare, albeit powerfully dramatic, example of extremism. That there have been conspicuous examples of secular suicide attackers (Kamikaze pilots and Tamil Tigers to name two) is relevant because it proves that religion is not the only ideology which can produce people who will give up their lives for the cause.

Now, one could argue the suicide bomber is the most extreme example of sacrificing oneself to the cause of the collective. Now let's look at degrees. I would argue that simple murder of innocents on behalf of the collective is a lesser example of one sacrificing his own beliefs for the good of the collective. Not quite as tall of a hurdle as suicide bombing, but a hurdle for your average man just the same. Now, once again: Is it not, at least, a little easier to do so with a belief (with any amount of conviction) of a promised land… especially if you believe your actions will help you gain admission?

There certainly has been no shortage of people willing to murder innocents in the name of religion. My argument is not that religion has never been used to support evil deeds, just that it is no more effective a framework for tyrants to enthrall followers than any other ism.

Only religion can offer post-death rewards or punishment to the individual. No ism can.

Not so in the sense of what might motivate someone to kill himself for the cause. That people have done so for secular causes is proof that earthly rewards can be as powerful a motivation as those said to be available in an after-life. You seem, in the preceding and the following to be suggesting that secular sacrifice is selfless while religious is sacrifice is personally selfish. Here again, I don't think there is any real distinction to be made between the two. The young Palestinian who blows himself up because he imagines that after his death his friends and neighbors will shoot guns in the air and declare him a hero, is every bit as selfish as the one who blows himself up because he believes will provide entry to paradise.

A man can sacrifice himself by stepping in front of a bullet to save his friend. A pilot can run his aircraft into Pearl Harbor in hopes of saving his Country. As I've stated repeatedly, I don't find religion a necessary element to such behavior. It's a question of likelihood. Given a year to plan; to step in front of that bullet, or ram your plane into Pearl Harbor; would it not be at least a little easier to do so with a belief (with any amount of conviction) of a Promised Land? Now factor in a belief that such an action will increase the likelihood of your admittance to that Promised Land.

Doesn't the likelihood in each of the above scenarios increase with such beliefs? This is just one advantage religion has over any ism, when led by the charismatic fanatic.

Yes, if two people are considering killing themselves for a cause, if one of them truly believes that doing so is a ticket to heaven, it will be easier for that person to detonate the vest of dynamite. The implication of your argument though is that this is some hugely significant advantage for a religious tyrant as opposed to a secular tyrant, and this just isn't the case.
I don't know how Hitler, Stalin or Mao tse Tung could have been more successful in terms of enthralling nations and influencing citizens to do horrible things.

God's will is far more compelling than the Furor's or Dear Leader's because He can make promises and threats the others cannot.

This is clearly not the case. First because it is only the rare fanatic who is motivated to action based soley on his perception of God's will, and secondly because both Hitler and Stalin managed to amass an undeniably large and effective support structure not only without the need for promises or threats in the afterlife, but in spite of the spiritual promises and threats of their opponents.

It may be comforting, for some, to think that there is a force outside of human nature that can cause us to engage in or tolerate unspeakable acts, but that is not the case. Not religion, nor nationalism, nor communisim, nor any other ism is responsible for the evil deeds of men. Men are. What is proven by history is not that there is one particular framework (religion) that is superior to all others in providing cover for the evil, but that they are numerous and varied, and the only real constant is lust for power.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:55 am
Setanta wrote:
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Clearly, the billions of people who found themselves subject to communist rule did not joyously subscribe to the actions of Stalin or Mao. The point, of course, is that neither did the masses who have found themselves subject to religious rule.

Ignoring all the snottiness which preceded this--something it appears that you are unable to argue without puking up all over a thread--you are still wrong.

This from someone who began our exchange with "As for Finn's horseshit--." Please spare me your ridiculous attempt to present yourself as the voice of civility.

The Franks who went on crusade were not subject to religious rule as the people of the Soviet empire were subject to Stalin's rule. They went on crusade because they were duped by religious doctrine. A handful of their leaders had venal agendae of self-agrandizement and self-enrichment, the rest of the fools who went to the various crusades participated because of principles which were central to their world view. You have completely failed to make a case that there ever were a class of people who were "subject to religious rule" who were lead astray against their collective will.

The Franks who went on crusade, are not the historical equivalent of the people of the Soviet Empire. One would think that someone who takes such pride in his expertise in history would appreciate this. Reread my statement which you felt compelled to quote: "The point, of course, is that neither did the masses who have found themselves subject to religious rule." Even assuming that Medieval Europe can be described as a theocracy (an absurd assumption at that) the masses didn't embark on Crusades.

Moreover, if you believe that only a handful of Crusaders marched off to the Holy Lands for personal reasons rather than for some absolute sense of defending the faith, then you may be good with dates but you don't know much about history, or human nature.

For two millenia, christianity has been a plague on humanity. From humble origins it rose within a few centuries to become the dominant religion of the dominant political organization of its day--the Roman Empire. The pre-christian empire had an official state religion, but adherence sat lightly on the shoulders of the people of the empire, who were free to follow any creed, as long as they had paid lip-service to the state religion. Christianity changed all of that. In the finest tradition of Abrahamic intolerance, both the Christians and the Muslims have tolerated no religious dissent.

Not only were European christians not subject to religious rule, those who did rule them fought for centuries, and successfully, to prevent the ecclesiastic authorities from asserting any control over secular matters.

Well at least we agree on one point, and yet you insist on offering Medieval Europe as an example of the effectiveness of the religious framework for tyrants.

The point is not about "isms," it's about the fanaticism which lies just beneath the surface of organized religions. Fascism and communism may come an go, but organized religion is here for the long haul, and in those versions of it which have come out of the middle east--Judaism, Christianity and Islam--the potential for diasterous consequences based upon unquestioning adherence to the dogmatic superstition is enormous.

What utter and biased tripe. Fanaticism lies just below the surface of any body of thought to which man ascribes significant importance. It is entirely possible that within the next 100 years (hardly a historical eon) the grip of religion on human thought and action will be a minor consideration. Do you really think that if this is the case, that we will find ourselves in a Golden Age where all men and women can live together in peace?

Western Europe, perhaps more than other region on earth, has moved well away from whatever constraints religion may place upon the people. The Crusaders are now anything but. Is there any reason to believe that they have freed themselves from the consequences of human frailty?

You display a fine ignorance of history, and an eager willingness to make simplistic statements for the purpose of supporting your argument. You display no ability to substantiate the vague generalizations and oversimplifications which underlie your case.

Blow it out your Pomeranian ass, you supercilious twit. Debate the issues, if you can, and save the bile for when your pooch pees on the rug.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:03 am
au1929 wrote:
Finn wrote
Quote:
It is, I think, foolish, and dangerous to attempt to exempt individuals from accountability for their evil by focusing on a particular ism.

If you had your way and religion was wiped from the face of the earth, do you really believe that evil would be as well?

I will sum it up in a few words.
The evil men [regimes] do dies with [it/them]. While the evil of religion never does. For as long as religion exists with it's divisive beliefs and fanatical followers religion will continue to be th irritant that causes conflict between people and nations.

Well you've summed it up rather poorly.

In any case, it is clear that you have the proverbial hard-o* for religion, and no one is going to change your mind.

Vayo con dios mi amigo.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:05 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Only religion can offer post-death rewards or punishment to the individual. No ism can.

bingo.

isms are limited in the promise of benefit to this life, this world, this time.

What is the antonym of "bingo?" "Bingnot?"
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 01:59 am
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 05:44 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Yes, if two people are considering killing themselves for a cause, if one of them truly believes that doing so is a ticket to heaven, it will be easier for that person to detonate the vest of dynamite.
Thank you for conceding the obvious… finally.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
The implication of your argument though is that this is some hugely significant advantage for a religious tyrant as opposed to a secular tyrant, and this just isn't the case.
No, the implication remains that the charismatic fanatic that uses religion in his pitch can offer the faithful fool threats and promises the other charismatic fanatics cannot. As I've said all along; it is a matter of likelihood, not necessity. Now all you've left to concede is that an eternity in paradise and getting to skip eternal damnation is a damn sight more compelling than the glory of gun shootin in your honor.
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I don't know how Hitler, Stalin or Mao tse Tung could have been more successful in terms of enthralling nations and influencing citizens to do horrible things.
Sure you do. They could have succeeded. More over, they could have permanently changed the minds of sufficient numbers to have their movements become… a religion.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
God's will is far more compelling than the Furor's or Dear Leader's because He can make promises and threats the others cannot.

This is clearly not the case. First because it is only the rare fanatic who is motivated to action based soley on his perception of God's will, and secondly because both Hitler and Stalin managed to amass an undeniably large and effective support structure not only without the need for promises or threats in the afterlife, but in spite of the spiritual promises and threats of their opponents.
You're circumventing the point… which is a matter of degrees, not absolutes. The religious equivalent to a Hitler or Stalin could amass the same, use all the same arguments of country, family and honor and threats of horrendous proportions right here on earth… AND back it up with promises of paradise and avoidance of hell. This is something the secular charismatic fanatic could never do.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It may be comforting, for some, to think that there is a force outside of human nature that can cause us to engage in or tolerate unspeakable acts, but that is not the case. Not religion, nor nationalism, nor communisim, nor any other ism is responsible for the evil deeds of men. Men are.
No argument here. I wasn't claiming otherwise. I illustrated the advantage the religious charismatic fanatic has over other isms in convincing men to behave their worst. Your continued denial of this obvious point is mind-boggling.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:47 am
The only thing religion can persuade better than other isms is the killing of oneself for a cause(and this seems to be limited to Muslim extremists). Men don't need a promise of heaven to kill others.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:49 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Sure you do. They could have succeeded. More over, they could have permanently changed the minds of sufficient numbers to have their movements become… a religion.

They did, and they did.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 12:09 pm
John Creasy wrote:
The only thing religion can persuade better than other isms is the killing of oneself for a cause (and this seems to be limited to Muslim extremists). Men don't need a promise of heaven to kill others.
I'f you'd read what was written, you'd know the Muslim Extremists are the focal point and that we have no debate over whether men need a promise of heavan to kill others.

John Creasy wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

They did, and they did.
To a relatively tiny degree; your comment is correct, but you've lost the context of my answer. Surely you're not suggesting they couldn't have been "more successful"? Do you feel like the world's in danger of being overrun by the Nazis or Communists of today?
0 Replies