Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:12 am
freedom4free wrote:
Setanta

Quote:
There are enough loonies in government saying loony things

Exactly my point about Iran.

Or do we have a Copyright ?

Don't try to dance away now. You wrote: " . . . should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?" I've added the emphasis--plural, reprentatives of the government. For a response, you quote one right-wing loony from Congress who represents his district, not the policy of the government.

You do you own credibility no favor by making things up and adopting an hysterical tone. Develop a sense of proportion, and i might respect you for articulating your beliefs in a reasonable manner. As is stands right now, i begin to suspect that you may be simply the left-wing version of Gunga Din.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:23 am
Setanta wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
Setanta

Quote:
There are enough loonies in government saying loony things

Exactly my point about Iran.

Or do we have a Copyright ?

Don't try to dance away now. You wrote: " . . . should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?" I've added the emphasis--plural, reprentatives of the government. For a response, you quote one right-wing loony from Congress who represents his district, not the policy of the government.

You do you own credibility no favor by making things up and adopting an hysterical tone. Develop a sense of proportion, and i might respect you for articulating your beliefs in a reasonable manner. As is stands right now, i begin to suspect that you may be simply the left-wing version of Gunga Din.

Did you say just one loony ?

I suggest you take your head out of you're a$$ and click on this link : CLICK ME
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 11:52 am
Ja, the difference is that none of those loonies have as much control over the country's weaponry as A... Darn it! I've forgotten his name again. That Iranian President.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm
"In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, Tehran offered to help Washington overthrow the Taliban and establish a new political order in Afghanistan"

Oh SURE, That would have been a NEAT IDEA!!!

"In the spring of 2003, shortly before I left government, the Iranian Foreign Ministry sent Washington a detailed proposal for comprehensive negotiations to resolve bilateral differences.
The document acknowledged that Iran would have to address concerns about its weapons programs and support for anti-Israeli terrorist organizations. It was presented as having support from all major players in Iran's power structure, including the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. "

I thought they did not have a weapons program. Gee, what a surprise!!!

This article stinks of BRIBERY.

I would suggest we take no action until Iran becomes a clear and present danger to the interests of the US. At that time, we have the means to end the threat quickly.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm
freedom4free wrote:
Setanta wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
. . . should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?

Whoa . . . that's a corker--you gotta source for that tripe, Bubba?

Comments made by Representative Tom Tancredo, where he said:

"Well, what if you said something like -- if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites." When the host asked him if he meant ''bombing Mecca," he said, ''Yeah."

Tancredo is NOT a "representative of the government". He's in Congress. Want to try again?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:48 pm
freedom4free wrote:
You have not read his speech. He hates Israel yes. He believes that the country should have been made in Germany since they committed the atrocities. Wiped from the map. Not blown from the map. Stop believing everything our newspapers say.

Ehmm ... I dont think anyone here or in the newspapers said that he said "blown from the map". He was quite correctly quoted as saying it should be "wiped from [..] the map".

That's a pretty clear message to me. Israel not just should not have existed in the first place, not where it is now (an argument one could at least reasonably argue) -- no, it should after all, now, be taken off the map. Any ambiguity in that?

freedom4free wrote:
What about Bush's comment that Iraq, Iran, and North Korea should be wiped off the map. That's exactly what the Axis of Evil amounts to.

Err, no. Not in any sane logic.

If there's any quote in which Bush or any of his government officials said that Iraq or Iran should be wiped off the map, or anything thats equivalent, Ive not seen it. And no, "Axis of Evil" is not equivalent by any measure.

"Wiped off the map" means you no longer want the country to exist. "Axis of Evil" means that the regimes ruling those countries are evil (and need to be thrown out). Clear difference no?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:55 pm
Au, and others who may question the U.S.'s ability to deal with Iran militarily... based on the very real fact that our forces are stretched thin right now: there is no question.

A. In all likelihood, this problem can be solved with a single air strike at a very low (immediate) risk to the United States Military or civilian population. The potential for political fall out and increased insurgency/terrorism are undeniable risk factors that have to be weighed, but a suggestion that we lack the ability to take on Iran is just silly.

B. If you are going to draw parallels between Iraq and Iran for comparison's sake, be honest:
The leadership in Iraq was defeated handily quite some time ago. As was their ability to manufacture WMD (yes, I know they didn't, but this is a comparison). Our continued plight in Iraq, be it inevitable success or hopelessness or anything in between is an attempt at winning the peace, for a better future. In this comparison, no parallel attempt at winning the peace is required to defeat the leadership and/or end the inferred nuclear threat in Iran.

A ground assault in Iran (which I'm NOT advocating at this time) to remove it's leadership and threat potential would likely prove no more difficult to achieve and make no mistake; the U.S. has the ability. As an aside, as nimh so eloquently points out, the Iranian culture is much further evolved and would likely prove to be an easier peace to win should any superior force put forth the effort to try.

C. While it is my personal belief that those suffering human rights violations throughout the world should be recognized and their oppressors dealt with, that is neither intrinsic in solving our current dilemma nor the meat of this debate. I've discussed this with both Au and nimh at length and have no desire to revisit it here so as not to cloud the issue at hand. For the purpose of this discussion; said violations equate to just another justification for not trusting the current Iranian leadership with the bomb.

Aside: It is my personal opinion that the majority of Iraqi citizens are committed to self determination now that they've had a little taste of it. I further believe that the majority of Iranian citizens were ready for the same, well before the war in Iraq. It would surprise me not at all if Iran beat Iraq to the peace (with or without military action). Were I a gambling man (which I am), I'd wager that both country's citizen's next generations will be a damn site better off for the efforts we are currently extending. Were I a praying man (I'm not), I'd pray that the powers of the world (including but not limited to the United States) will continue to fight the good fight (for whatever reasons) and assist these people in obtaining the freedom of self determination they, like all people, deserve. This last paragraph is included for anyone other than veteran members who don't already know where my perspective comes from... not an invitation for debate. I'd prefer to keep the debate focused on the subject at hand and will likely ignore attempts at subverting it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 12:56 pm
I only have one comment, Tancredo is an idiot. I lived for many years in his district in colorado. He is a total idiot to the extent that the right wing govenor and senator have had to apologize to the people of colorado for his remarks and behaviors.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:04 pm
http://imgs.xinhuanet.com/icon/english/03/03_banner.gif

Quote:
Iran: President's remarks on Israel misinterpreted

www.chinaview.cn 2005-12-12 01:02:15

TEHRAN, Dec. 11 (Xinhuanet) -- Iran said on Sunday that the recent remarks on Israel by its president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had been misinterpreted by some countries.

"The president's comments on Israel did not include any new contents, but they have been misinterpreted by some countries and organizations," foreign ministry spokesman Hamid-Reza Asefi told reporters at his weekly news briefing.

Ahmadinejad said on Thursday, during a two-day meeting of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) held in the holy city Mecca in Saudi Arabia, that Israel should be moved to the European soil since two European countries, Germany and Austria, were responsible for the slaughter of millions of Jews during World WarII.

His remarks drew immediate condemnation from UN Secretary General Kofi Annan, the UN Security Council and countries such as the United States, Israel, Germany and Austria.

Asefi explained that the president's real meaning of the comments was that the Europeans must compensate the Jews at their own price if they felt necessary to do so.

Iran's Supreme Leader Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Saturday that Israel and the United States were sensitive to Ahmadinejad's comments because of their weakness.

"The Zionists and their American allies surprisingly show sensitivity to any remarks on the Zionist regime, which betray their weakness and embarrassment about attention of the Muslimnations to the plight of Palestinians," Khamenei said.

In late October, the hardline president said Israel should be "wiped off the map", inciting bombardments from some countries.

Iran holds a sympathetic attitude towards the fight for independence of the Palestinians and refuses to acknowledge the Israeli state while Israel echoes the US accusation that Iran is building nuclear weapons secretly and sponsoring terrorists. Enditem

source

Happy NOW! ?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:12 pm
That back peddling, if accurate, appears to have been on a sheet of ice. I see no significant change in position whatsoever.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:13 pm
The following article puts a lot of things in perspective. Its worth reading and re reading.

http://www.energybulletin.net/7707.html
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:20 pm
If Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad actually made the statement above - then he has to be the biggest fool in recent history (considering what recent Bush-Israel history has been!) or he has to be an absolute "God Send" for Israel and the Bush Govt.,who've been chafing at the bit for the slimmest petext to bomb and obliterate Iran!

Who knows maybe President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is actually a U.S./Israeli agent? He sure sounds like one!
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:26 pm
freedom4free wrote:
If Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad actually made the statement above - then he has to be the biggest fool in recent history

I'd go with that....
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
old europe wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
If Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad actually made the statement above - then he has to be the biggest fool in recent history

I'd go with that....

Yes and the people who actually believe that are even bigger fools.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:30 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
A ground assault in Iran (which I'm NOT advocating at this time) to remove it's leadership and threat potential would likely prove no more difficult to achieve and make no mistake; the U.S. has the ability. As an aside, as nimh so eloquently points out, the Iranian culture is much further evolved and would likely prove to be an easier peace to win should any superior force put forth the effort to try.

(bolded by me)

I'll certainly agree that there is a big difference between Iraq in 2003 and Iran now.

Saddam-era Iraq had no domestic opposition whatsoever, all and any of its vestiges having been wiped out by Saddam, so there was no alternative power structure at hand, even in embryonal form. Removing Saddam thus unavoidably created chaos and mayhem.

All that is different in Iran: though divided between various strands of cautious reformers, radical democrats, and those fighting the system from the outside, there are, in any case, many democrats, dissidents, politicians, newspaper editors, etc at hand to take on the job of reinventing Iran, if the conservatives were ever thrown out of power. They've been thinking up the concepts, they've had their hand at trying themselves out as parliamentarians, the civil society structure is there.

So in that respect, yes, a new Iran would be easier - and perhaps more peacefully - to get to than a new Iraq.

However... Twisted Evil

O'Bill and I differ very, very sharply on one rather crucial thing. He thinks, apparently, that all this holds true too should the US launch a ground attack on Iran to bring the conservatives down. I say that in case of such an invasion by foreign troops, all bets are off. The troops would be as unlikely to be greeted with flowers by the citizenry as they were in Iraq, at the least.

- An external invasion might serve to rally the Iranians behind their oppressive regime after all. The country does have a strong tradition of national pride after all, and has reacted to foreign interferences aggressively before.

- Ahmadinejad's election victory showed that conservative, authoritarian, religious nationalism does have an appeal to at least a third of the electorate (62% of the vote at a 60% turnout, minus some percentagepoints for possible fraud), and an appeal that especially attracted working class males -- thats a lot of soldiers to face.

- An external invasion might discredit any democrat who could be associated with it. The reformist camp would almost certainly splinter and dissolve in chaos, as some would join the regime against the Americans (first the foreigners out, then we'll deal with our own bad guys); some would take a middle position critical against both and soon become irrelevant in the us-against-them of war; and others yet would join the Americans but at the cost of being seen as a kind of Quislings by many (compare Allawi, not to mention homeboy - whatshisname - the Pentagon's favourite Iraqi).

- War would bring a state of anarchy to the country, destroying infrastructure, bringing the middle classes to ruin, unleashing crime - as wars just do, by definition. The resulting collapse of the (moderate, liberal) middle class would further devastate the chances of a swiftly established reasonable new regime.

- War as a means of regime change brings risks to the country's territorial integrity that internal reform does not bring, to the same extent. In the case of internal regime change (whether by palace coup or popular insurrection), Kurds, Azeris and other minorities might demonstratively proclaim autonomy or something of the sort, but it would probably remain in the realm of politics. In the case of foreign troops entering Iranian soil however, they might well just take the opportunity to go for a local, military power grab, simply establishing their own fiefdom in the midst of the fighting. (The one thing Iraq has over Iran is that at least the Kurds had already, for years, been more or less co-opted by the internationals, with well-established, familiar political leaders.)

Think I'm being too pessimistic, apocalyptic even? Then remember one's own predictions about how Iraq would go, once Saddam was out, and how more sombre predictions were brushed aside as defeatism, back in 2002/03... and think again about even thinking of sending in ground troops.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:37 pm
I've articulated in considerable detail elsewhere why i think an invadion of Iran would be complete folly, i'm not going to repeat the exercise here--especially given the hostility and imbecile positions articulated by the author of this thread.

I'm gone . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:48 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote

Quote:
A. In all likelihood, this problem can be solved with a single air strike at a very low (immediate) risk to the United States Military or civilian population.

I would like to hear more about this magical single air strike that will solve the problem. In addition I doubt that the hard-liners and religious fundamentalists will disappear and be replaced by friends of the US or the West.
What will happen is the supply of the worlds crude oil {Iran being the worlds second largest supplier} will be threatened? Which will play havoc with the world economy and gain the US more enemies? I addition wars can only be won with boots on the ground. I think Iraq is a good example where our quick "victory" turned to dust because we did not have sufficient forces to control the aftermath.
IMO the invasion of Iraq will look like a walk in the park compared to what will ensue if we {Bush] should choose to invade Iran.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:54 pm
Does anyone owe Ahmedinejad an apology?

Quote:
By Arnold Evans

We have a translation of the full text of Ahmedinejad's speech in the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/30/weekinreview/30iran.html?pagewanted=1

Turns out, the speech didn't live up the the hype that came afterwards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First the offending paragraph

Quote:
Our dear Imam said that the occupying regime must be wiped off the map and this was a very wise statement. We cannot compromise over the issue of Palestine. Is it possible to create a new front in the heart of an old front. This would be a defeat and whoever accepts the legitimacy of this regime [Israel] has in fact, signed the defeat of the Islamic world. Our dear Imam targeted the heart of the world oppressor in his struggle, meaning the occupying regime. I have no doubt that the new wave that has started in Palestine, and we witness it in the Islamic world too, will eliminate this disgraceful stain from the Islamic world. But we must be aware of tricks.

The occupying regime" and not "Israel"? Isn't wiping a "regime" off the map different from genocide? Wasn't there a Baathist regime in Iraq recently? Is it still on the map or was it wiped it off?

Ariel Sharon claims that Iran should be expelled from the UN because Ahmedinejad called for "a people" to be wiped off the map. Is Sharon deliberately lying or is he relying on Western news sources to do his lying for him?

The questions don't stop. Because instead of genocide, Ahmedinejad also inconveniently for the hysteria-whippers actually describes what he considers a fair solution in his speech.

Quote:
The issue of Palestine is not over at all. It will be over the day a Palestinian government, which belongs to the Palestinian people, comes to power; the day that all refugees return to their homes; a democratic government elected by the people comes to power. Of course those who have come from far away to plunder this land have no right to choose for this nation.

It is possible to argue about what Ahmedinejad means about those who have come from far away. If he advocates that what was done to the Palestinians in the 1940's be done to Jews born in Israel today I disagree with him. If one was to (gasps of horror!) give Ahmedinejad the benefit of the doubt that he does not consider people born there to come from far away then his position is entirely reasonable.

In fact, I have never seen that position even argued against without the arguer making an assertion that people of the Jewish ethnic group should have, because of their ethnicity, a privileged status over non-Jews.

Instead of a debate about Ahmedinejad's true position regarding Palestine, which supporters of Zionism necessarily lose unless they can justify pro-Jewish bigotry, we have had recently a debate about a deliberately false position projected onto Iran.

Let this unfortunately typical example be a lesson for those who oppose the deception and emotional manipulation carried out in support of Zionism.

source
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
It seems to me the Iranians have a very strong hand. They have the oil, they have their revolution and religion, and soon they will make or break the dollar as the world reserve currency (if they start selling oil cheaper in euros...like Saddam). Clearly this is why they must be stopped. The neo cons see American 21st century hegemony. But they are also frightened. If they dont act and consolidate, American grip on the world will wane. The dollar will collapse and Americans will have to stop living off foreign sweated labour. So despite Iran's strong (but not invincible) position, I think it quite possible the Americans will act, to protect Israel from Iranian threat, and to protect the dollar.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 02:05 pm
So, What is the liberal consensus on what to do about Iran and the Nuclear question?

I am curious.
0 Replies