Bush won't tolerate nuclear Iran

nimh

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:28 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
How many state ordered stonings are acceptable?

None, of course - why, did I ever say it was acceptable?

All I said was that stating that all Iranian women are "born into a slave-state" is overstating it.

Mind you, there may have been further stonings again since 2002. Seems to be hard to get a grip on how many. In this Amnesty International appeal of December 2004, AI protests the stoning sentence issued by an Iranian court to a woman for adultery, and in the background info notes that "Amnesty International is aware of at least one [other] case in which a sentence of execution by stoning has reportedly been issued this year, [though] it is not known whether this sentence has been carried out." So, two stonings in a year, one of which of a man. But this site of the Women's Forum Against Fundamentalism in Iran appears to mention many more, a whole list.

Point, in any case, is not that stoning is excusable in any way; merely that the impression that Iran is a country where women, overall, live a slave life needs adjusting, thats all. After all, the young women with Rafsanjani headbands racing around on mopeds during the election campaign, in which various candidates (though not the winner) openly competed with each other in announcing they'd improve womens rights - and featuring campaign events with music and mixed dancing - thats also Iran. (Not exactly risque for us, but not Kabul either.) Shirin Ebadi, woman and Noble Prize winner, being welcomed back by thousands in an impromptu demonstration (link) - thats also Iran. Middle-class young women vying with each other in the beauty stakes, if need be through what for a self-respecting smart youngster is the obligatory nose job - a massive trend last year, apparently - also Iran. Hell, whats also Iran is - under the previous government, admittedly - a conference on transsexuality, and a cleric being encouraged to write a thesis about it "to change the social stigma attached to these people" (link).

Thats pretty much all I wanted to say.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:44 pm
nimh wrote:
Now, that will have changed since, but still, when discussion is of Iran, I'm always torn into two directions: lashing at the Iranian conservatives for their hateful views and politics, or countering the sometimes somewhat cartoonesque perceptions of Iran as The Taliban Empire Returns..
There's certainly no shortage of patriotic fools who may benefit from that fact clarification, nimh, but I'm not one of them. I wouldn't paint an image of you as supporting the Mullahs for the sake of anti-Bush sentiment and I'd appreciate it if you didn't paint me as a talking-point parroting fool who believes in demons either. You know very well my disdain for the hideous double standards throughout much of the world are not limited to Iran or any other whooping boy of the President's choosing. Said double standard does, however, provide yet another compelling reason for interference for the very reasonable inference that Iran is seeking nuclear weapons.

I don't believe that Iran's leadership is representative of the people who live there. Remember, I consider 90%+ of every population to be decent reasonable folks who seek little more than an opportunity for a decent lot in life. I'll grant you my fierce hatred of abuse against women elevates the importance of such violations beyond your average Joe's, but that should serve as no indication that I'm ignorant of the fact that the younger, better educated Iranians coupled with the decent people throughout the demographic dwarf the number of hate-mongering twisted sons of bitches who've ascended to positions of power and continue to oppress the people within their power while spewing hatred for those beyond it.

What I'm most curious to hear; is varying opinions on which aggressor (U.S or Israel) would do more damage to the peace process by doing what I believe needs to be done. Or, is it a wash because it will be perceived as a joint action regardless? And finally, if anyone thinks the rest of the world or any part of it will step up to the plate and help lesson the impression that it's just American Imperialism or Israeli aggression that's bringing the matter to the forefront... as opposed to the obvious (to me at least) threat that is inherent in the possibility of Iran's current leadership wielding the power of a nuclear arsenal.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:57 pm
I read your last post after posting my own. Forgive me if my passion or perceived need for self-defense offends you. The question you quoted above was rhetorical as I'm confident that we all agree on the answer. And thank you for the educational links.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 07:58 pm
Set, your new sig line is a riot! Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:05 pm
I'll tell ya, ya can't make stuff like that up . . . real life trumps ya every time . . .
0 Replies

astromouse

Reply Tue 24 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
So.. we're back to fear-mongering to stir up the populace into another "they tuk er yubs!!" redneck/patriot/withoragainstme propaganda period ?

Incidentally on another election year?

How convenient!
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 03:58 am
farmerman

Quote:
This all is ultimately gonna result in economic sanctions

Israel, Pakistan and India have developed nuclear weapons (and even, in the case of Pakistan, sold on nuclear expertise) without any threat of sanctions, while Iraq has been invaded partly on the mere suggestion it might be developing nuclear weapons, while Iran has been threatened with sanctions for even considering the technology.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 06:17 am
Freedom4free, hang on! Wait a minute! I remember hearing on the news that the Atomic Energy Agency was getting fed up of Iran's stalling techniques.

Frankly, I don't trust Iran having a nuclear power plant, let alone nuclear weapons. They're on a freaking faultline. A power plant can only take so many earthquakes before it splits open.

Besides, I don't trust the Iranian President (or is it Prime Minister)? He sounds too much like Pat Robertson. Anyone who sounds like Pat Robertson shouldn't be allowed anywhere near anything nuclear.

The question is whether this situation can be resolved delicately and with Bush in charge, I severely doubt it.

Still, maybe he'll get lucky.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:13 am
I don't think it's about faultlines (there are some eight nuclear power plants in California, yaknow...)

But yeah, I don't trust Ahmadinejad neither. And neither does a large part of the Iranian population. When he uttered those words about Israel being wiped off the map there was widespread protest in Iran. Many people don't want to go back to the times of the revolution and the Ayatollah. I'm basically agreeing with what nimh said a few posts earlier.

Somebody has once characterized Ahmadinejad as a farmboy who suddenly got power. He doesn't know a lot about the world, or politics, or leading a country. He has achieved next to nothing since he got into office, apart from giving flaming speeches. But he's trying to cater to those ultra-conservative circles that got him elected. He was trying to do so with his verbal attacks on Israel, and he's trying to do so by relaunching the atomic program.

On the other hand, the question whether or not Iran has the right to have a nuclear program, and use it for peaceful means, would probably be answered positive by most Iranians. Even those who would never support this president.

That's why I think that it's paramount to make it clear that Iran, like every other nation, has the right to use nuclear power peaceful, while, at the same time, making it very clear that any ambition towards nuclear weapons cannot be tolerated.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:24 am
"As was the case with Iraq, Bush has yet to produce any evidence that Iran is building anything other than a power station. and, like Iraq, Bush cannot explain why even with nuclear arms, Iran is any kind of threat to the United States, which possesses the largest nuclear arsenal in the world and remains historically the only nation to use nuclear weapons against a civilian population. "

So let's see.

The Iranian leader has stated one goal is to wipe Isreal off the map.

He wants to build a Nuke powerplan, he says.

And we should trust him because........
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:42 am
woiyo wrote:

If Iran is to be prohibited from exercising self-determination due to spitefully distorted words by the trusted media that it plans on "wiping Israel off the map", should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:44 am
freedom4free wrote:
woiyo wrote:

If Iran is to be prohibited from exercising self-determination due to spitefully distorted words by the trusted media that it plans on "wiping Israel off the map", should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?

You did not answer the question. Want to try again?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 07:47 am
freedom4free wrote:
... spitefully distorted words by the trusted media that it plans on "wiping Israel off the map" ...

That's what he said. Or wait, he said that Israel should be "wiped off the face of the map". Doesn't really make him trustworthy, I'd say. What do you think?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
You have not read his speech. He hates Israel yes. He believes that the country should have been made in Germany since they committed the atrocities. Wiped from the map. Not blown from the map. Stop believing everything our newspapers say.

What about Bush's comment that Iraq, Iran, and North Korea should be wiped off the map. That's exactly what the Axis of Evil amounts to.

Bush has already wiped Iraq off the map.

He's words have been distorted...

here's a classic example :

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/nav/v3_banners/v3_ifh_banner.gif

Iran lifts CNN ban after apology

The Farsi word for "technology" was mistranslated as "weapons"
Iran has reversed a ban on CNN, a day after the US network was banned for mistranslating a presidential speech.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:50 am
freedom4free wrote:
. . . should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?

Whoa . . . that's a corker--you gotta source for that tripe, Bubba?

Ya can't make **** like this up . . . that's the wonderful entertainment value of this site . . .
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 08:56 am
Setanta wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
. . . should the U.S be stripped of its nuclear arsenal due to representatives of its government calling for nuclear bombings of Mecca and Medina?

Whoa . . . that's a corker--you gotta source for that tripe, Bubba?

Ya can't make **** like this up . . . that's the wonderful entertainment value of this site . . .

Comments made by Representative Tom Tancredo, where he said:

"Well, what if you said something like -- if this happens in the United States, and we determine that it is the result of extremist, fundamentalist Muslims, you know, you could take out their holy sites." When the host asked him if he meant ''bombing Mecca," he said, ''Yeah."

http://www.foxnews.com/images/headers/fnc_logo05.gif

Tancredo: If They Nuke Us, Bomb Mecca
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:01 am
Tancredo is a member of the legislature, and therefore not a member of any policy making body; his remarks, obviously tailored for a conservative constituent audience, are conditioned upon an nuclear attack on the United States--which is a far cry from advocating an unprovoked attack on Saudia Arabia--which is the burden of your earlier remark, and ill-considered remark.

There are enough loonies in government saying loony things which merit concern without trying to make **** up.

As i said, though, the entertainment value is incalculable . . .
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
Quote:
Army gravely overextended - study warns

WASHINGTON - Stretched by frequent troop rotations to Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army has become a "thin green line" that could snap unless relief comes soon, according to a study for the Pentagon.Andrew Krepinevich, a retired Army officer who wrote the report under a Pentagon contract, concluded the Army cannot sustain the pace of troop deployments to Iraq long enough to break the back of the insurgency. He also suggested the Pentagon's decision to begin reducing the force in Iraq was driven in part by a realization that the Army was overextended.

"You really begin to wonder just how much stress and strain there is on the Army, how much longer it can continue," he said in an interview.

Krepinevich did not conclude that U.S. forces should quit Iraq now, but he said it may be possible to reduce troop levels below 100,000 by the end of the year. There are about 136,000 currently in Iraq, Pentagon officials said yesterday.

The Associated Press

For those who suggested it.
Is this the bullet you suggest the US use against Iran?

I would further ask is the fact that Iran and for that matter much of the islamic world, based upon westerns standards, mistreats it's women are any of you willing to expends American lives because of it.

The fact remans despite Bush's grandstanding. The US is in no position on it's own to take on Iran. In addition IMO the American public would not support any move of armed intervention by the US. Not after the fiasco visited upon the US by this administration in Iraq..
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
Setanta

Quote:
There are enough loonies in government saying loony things

Exactly my point about Iran.

Or do we have a Copyright ?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 25 Jan, 2006 10:08 am
Editorial NY times

Quote:
WASHINGTON As the United States and its European partners consider their next steps to contain the Iranian nuclear threat, let's recall how poorly the Bush administration has handled this issue.
During its five years in office, the administration has turned away from every opportunity to put relations with Iran on a more positive trajectory. Three examples stand out.
In the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks, Tehran offered to help Washington overthrow the Taliban and establish a new political order in Afghanistan. But in his 2002 State of the Union address, President George W. Bush announced that Iran was part of an "axis of evil," thereby scuttling any possibility of leveraging tactical cooperation over Afghanistan into a strategic opening.
In the spring of 2003, shortly before I left government, the Iranian Foreign Ministry sent Washington a detailed proposal for comprehensive negotiations to resolve bilateral differences.
The document acknowledged that Iran would have to address concerns about its weapons programs and support for anti-Israeli terrorist organizations. It was presented as having support from all major players in Iran's power structure, including the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.
A conversation I had shortly after leaving the government with a senior conservative Iranian official strongly suggested that this was the case. Unfortunately, the administration's response was to complain that the Swiss diplomats who passed the document from Tehran to Washington were out of line.
Finally, in October 2003, the Europeans got Iran to agree to suspend enrichment in order to pursue talks that might lead to an economic, nuclear and strategic deal. But the Bush administration refused to join the European initiative, ensuring that the talks failed.
Now Washington and its allies are faced with two unattractive options for dealing with the Iranian nuclear issue. They can refer the issue to the Security Council, but, at a time of tight energy markets, no one is interested in restricting Iranian oil sales.
Other measures under discussion - travel restrictions on Iranian officials, for example - are likely to be imposed only ad hoc, with Russia and China as probable holdouts. They are in any case unlikely to sway Iranian decision-making, because unlike his predecessor, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad disdains being feted in European capitals.
Alternatively, the United States (or Israel) could strike militarily at Iran's nuclear installations. But these are spread across Iran, and planners may not know all of the targets that would need to be hit. Moreover, a strike could prove counterproductive by hardening Iranian resolve to acquire a nuclear weapons capacity.
Is there a way out of this strategic dead end? Nuclear diplomacy with Iran, never an easy proposition, has been made harder not only by poor policy choices in Washington, but also by trends in Iranian politics.
Ahmadinejad's electoral victory last year against former President Ali Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani suggests that a significant number of Iranians linked Rafsanjani's call for rapprochement with the West with his corrupt past and rejected both in favor of Ahmadinejad's populist nationalism. Moreover, Ahmadinejad's execrable rhetoric about Israel and the Holocaust threatens to make future Western engagement look like appeasement.
These developments have severely circumscribed the possibilities for diplomacy between the United States and Iran. Iranian officials with ties to Khamenei continue to stress in private conversations that key players on Iran's National Security Council - the chief decision-making body for foreign policy - remain interested in a strategic dialogue with Washington. But the popularly elected Ahmadinejad could easily marshal resistance to any "grand bargain" with the United States.
And absent a more positive strategic context, efforts to reopen discussions on a discrete issue of mutual interest, like Iraq, would at best only reprise the experience of short-lived tactical cooperation over Afghanistan.
Last week, the Saudi foreign minister, Saud al-Faisal, suggested a way out of this impasse - one that might also help address other pressing challenges in the Gulf.
The Saudi prince noted that if Iranian nuclear weapons were deployed against Israel, they would kill Palestinians, and if they missed Israel, they would hit Arab countries. And so he urged Iran "to accept the position that we have taken to make the Gulf, as part of the Middle East, nuclear free and free of weapons of mass destruction."
While Prince Saud blamed Israel for starting a nuclear arms race in the Middle East, his implication that a nuclear-weapons-free Gulf might precede a regionwide nuclear-weapons-free zone is a nuanced departure from longstanding Arab insistence that regional arms control cannot begin without Israel's denuclearization.
The United States and its partners should build on this idea and support the creation of a Gulf Security Council that would include Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and the other Arab states in the Gulf, as well as the five permanent members of the UN Security Council.
The Gulf Security Council would not replace American alliances with traditional security partners, but it would operate alongside them, much as the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe has operated alongside NATO.
The council would provide a framework under which the United States could guarantee that it would not use force to change Iran's borders or form of government, provided that Iran committed itself to regionally defined and monitored norms for nonproliferation (including a nuclear weapons ban), counterterrorism and human rights. States concerned about Iran's nuclear activities would then have new leverage to ensure Iranian compliance with these commitments.
Additionally, pressing Iran to abide by standards defined and administered multilaterally might be more acceptable to China and Russia than pushing Iran to accept an American reinterpretation of its nonproliferation obligations.
Such a framework would leapfrog over proposals for establishing a "contact group" of Iraq's neighbors and offer all parts of the Iranian political spectrum - even the hard-liners around Ahmadinejad - something they want: recognition of Iran's leading regional role.
Besides rejuvenating efforts to contain the Iranian nuclear threat, it could provide essential support for stabilization in Iraq, as the inclusion of Iran and Saudi Arabia would bring together the two states that could be most useful in brokering compromises between Shiite and Sunni communities there.
A diplomatic resolution of the Iranian nuclear problem is still within reach. But successful diplomacy will require a bold new vision. The next time the five permanent members of the Security Council convene to discuss Iran, perhaps they should meet in Riyadh rather than London

(Flynt Leverett, a former senior director for Middle East affairs at the National Security Council, is a senior fellow at the Brookings Institution's Saban Center for Middle East Policy. He is writing a book about the future of Saudi Arabia. ) 
0 Replies