The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

Mathos

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:01 pm
That is the second train. :wink:
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2006 04:03 pm
Mathos wrote:
That is the second train. :wink:

The first train broke down near New Dehli and was transformed into a housing development.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 07:45 am
Veggie burgers.

Veggie burgers are the reason.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:05 am
My opinion is that there is no "moral decline" here. It's history repeating itself. We act like what we do has never been done before. I assure you, it has. So, in a few years we'll all revert back to bible thumping and covering our ankles.

Don't worry.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:06 am
That's the part that has me worried.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
Chai Tea wrote:
That's the part that has me worried.

What part? The ankle part or the bible part?

I don't really like my ankles that much so covering them won't be an issue for me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:20 am
Both....I have lovely ankles.

Seriously though, I agree with you, well, mostly.

I do agree that what is deemed acceptable behavior, what is moral, etc. can be compared to a pendelum or circle.

Throughout the ages different values have been place on individuals lives. I recall reading in the middle ages in I think Britan (no picking on them) people didn't even name their children until they were a year or more old, since they were likely to die before that time anyway.

In many different ages, the idea of the group being more important than the individual prevailed.

Today we live in an age where individualism reigns supreme.

Some things that do bother me though, things that have never been available before.

I do see people, especially younger folks, becoming more and more disenfranchised, if that's the word.
People to whom being plugged in is more important than the human sitting next to you.

I also think people are getting more and more out of touch with nature.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:22 am
Chai Tea wrote:

That's because nature is being slowly exterminated. The concrete jungle is taking over.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:25 am
Bella Dea wrote:
My opinion is that there is no "moral decline" here. It's history repeating itself. We act like what we do has never been done before. I assure you, it has. So, in a few years we'll all revert back to bible thumping and covering our ankles.

Don't worry.

You speak of history repeating itself. . . as it relates to a country barely 230 years old. You could be correct though I suppose. I mean, there was Rome.

I don't think this country will be unwinding itself anytime soon. And in fact, it might possibly never fully dissolve. It is, however, changing quite a bit and I think it will be entirely different in another 100 years or so.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:26 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

That's because nature is being slowly exterminated. The concrete jungle is taking over.

Most would be surprised to find out that hunters and fishers, through license fees and other taxes, have done more to protect wetlands, wild spaces, and flyways than any other group.

Tofu.

Tofu is the reason.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:28 am
Tofu is just a symptom . . . we are assailed by religious nut cases on the right, and the New Age Puritans on the left . . . tofu and bible thumping--just symptoms.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:30 am
People who don't clean up their dog's poop.

They are the reason.

(nothing personal Set)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:31 am
No offense taken, i always clean up after the little doggies . . .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 20 Jan, 2006 08:39 am
Questioner wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

Don't worry.

You speak of history repeating itself. . . as it relates to a country barely 230 years old. You could be correct though I suppose. I mean, there was Rome.

I don't think this country will be unwinding itself anytime soon. And in fact, it might possibly never fully dissolve. It is, however, changing quite a bit and I think it will be entirely different in another 100 years or so.

People are people no matter where they are.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 06:14 am
Terrell Owens.

He is the cause.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:35 am
Those irrationally sexually stimulated by firearms . . .

That's the cause . . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
cjhsa wrote:

Most would be surprised to find out that hunters and fishers, through license fees and other taxes, have done more to protect wetlands, wild spaces, and flyways than any other group.

Oh, that doesn't surprise me at all. Hunters and fishers have to remain in touch with their environment.

I thinking more of people who think their chicken was created in a styrofoam box, or think a nature trail must be swept clear of debris before they use it.

Questioner, I know this was addressed to Bella, but I believe there are ebbs and flows in every society.

Chances are one neandertal once comeplained to his best friend about the decline in ambition in the younger generation.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 09:39 am
We have nothing to do with neanderthals Chai.Some biological similarities is all really and those won't take you far in a cultural evolution.In fact they slow us down.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 10:07 am
Just an example off the top of my head. Use the ancient Egyptians instead. Those youngsters just don't haul stone like my generation did.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
When it comes to hauling stone Chai we are the masters by a very,very long way.I'll bet if you ran a pyramid through a stone crusher the "3inch and down",if that's the grade we wanted that day,would probably not fill a mile of freeway base.And the amount of blood on our stone is miniscule compared to the amount of blood on the pyramids.
We listen to the local radio station while we are doing it and have days off.You could drop a pyramid into the East India Dock and you'd never see it again.They are small piles of stones.And in their putative purpose as fatuous as fatuous gets.

Sorry to be so unromantic but there it is.And don't start that old genius stonemason stuff.

You could try admiring your own menfolk.We are pretty good ya know.And then some.
0 Replies