The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

flushd

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 07:29 am
The short answer to your question is........

Americans.

Exclamation
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:26 am
roger wrote:
I certainly take the point that loyalty and responsibility are going to be a two way street, or no street at all, mesquite. Maybe we could put this down as faceless corporations operating by policy, rather than individual decisions - supposedly in the best interests of the many stockholders?

Anyway, I'm sure it goes further back than either Bush or Reagan. How about WWII? I'm not going to get caught up in an argument about whether it's bad or good that women got out of the house to earn a living in traditionally men's fields (yeah, Rosie the Riveter, soz), but it just may have contributed to the decline we're discussing.

Ok believe me, I'm not trying start an argument here. I merely want to express my opinion. As a woman I realize this perspective could be a little surprising for some. However, I don't believe it was necessarily the best thing for the structure of the family for women to leave the home and go into the work place. While I understand that with increased cost of living, grander lifestyles, and such people feel a need to work. It is difficult to live on one income. Unfortunately though that leaves strangers raising the children, and again video games and twinkies.

I don't believe women are suppose to be home barefoot and pregnant all the time. However, I see the children are the ones suffering the most from the womens lib movement. Great we got freedom, now we can work, and even do a man's job if we want. Big whoop. Though I know I am capable of doing most anything a man can do, speaking in terms of work, I really don't feel a need to prove it. I'm a woman. I like being a woman. I would rather stay home with the kids if I had any and make sure I raised them right. To make sure they knew they were loved and provided for as well as protected. Children are the legacy we leave behind when we go...

Quote:
There is no new work ethic to present. We have to stay in our state of complexity until some simple, obvious ethic or value begins to emerge. And it will. Something as important for human beings as work, simply must be "felt" as valuable.

Questioner, this was an excellent post thank you! I agree completely. Work ethics have really gone down hill in the US. I wonder sometimes how much it is due to the fact that though that we also feel we "deserve" certain things handed to us sometimes. I see it a lot in my line of work. People who take the job thinking they're going to be some sort of super hero to these troubled teenagers, then when they realize they aren't they fall back into complacency and complain they aren't getting paid enough to do this job. It is a trying job. There's days I come home and cry. But I'm not there for the money. Someones life is more valuable to me than money will ever be.

Setanta,

Satire shmatire... he can keep it to himself!!!!

Kidding.... only kidding.... (hehehe)

Flushed... LOL Good way to sum it up and suck the air right out of my thread!!! whoooooooooooooo kidding, only kidding.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:32 am
If there is a current negative change in America, the blame/credit must belong to Americans.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 09:58 am
flushd wrote:
The short answer to your question is........

Americans.

Exclamation

It's all a Canadian plot!

Humor aside, you're fairly spot on in my estimation flushd. We're quickly becoming (if we aren't already) the most selfish group of people in the world. The right to liberties and freedoms is a fantastic notion in theory, but when you build an entire country around such ideals the true greedy nature of man comes forth.

In my opinion, America as a country is quickly dissolving into so many million separate entities. The only thing that can really bring it together is a disaster or domestic war of some sort, and even that would soon pass.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:14 am
I agree 100% Questioner! I couldn't have said this better myself!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:18 pm
I'm not so sure there has been a downfall in American society. Hasn't this been the charge of every generation for the past 200 years?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:21 pm
I agree with Questioner also. It seems we have been becoming an "if it's right for me" type of society for a long, long time. Maybe it's just gotten to the point that more and more are seeing it. You think maybe that's possible J_B? Maybe it has just gotten to the point that it can no longer be denied or people are at least starting to question it?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:27 pm
I didn't pour over each post thoroughly to create a list that points to a certain downfall of American society but what I see is change, perhaps progress, perhaps not but what specifically is the situation that points to a downfall of society in America?

I guess I'd like to see that list from heph, since she started this post with the assertion that the downfall is a given. How so?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:33 pm
J_B wrote:
I didn't pour over each post thoroughly to create a list that points to a certain downfall of American society but what I see is change, perhaps progress, perhaps not but what specifically is the situation that points to a downfall of society in America?

I guess I'd like to see that list from heph, since she started this post with the assertion that the downfall is a given. How so?

I'll withhold my reasons for agreeing with the statement until Heph has answered, per your request.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 02:49 pm
??? I didn't mean that heph needed to answer first. If you have a list then go for it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
I dunno but I like to think that my tireless plotting and scheming has something to do with it. Bwahahahaha and all that.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:03 pm
could it possibly be that partisan politics, religious fundimentalism and keeping up with the jones have contributed directly to making america less a nation of americans and more a nation of "me"s ?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:13 pm
Very well. A few observations:

1) I would argue that the focus of many (most?) Americans has shifted from perceived communal responsibilities to their own personal desires. As an example, see the recent economic crimes of corporate giants such as Enron, WorldCom, Anderson, etc. While this may be nothing new to the world itself, it is indicative of a change in ideals from previous generations that made modest sacrifices for their companies.

2) Ridiculousness of American Politics. Trends of decreasing voter turnout
The two-party system no longer (if it ever did) represents the totality of the American people, and as such the democratic system is becoming less and less toutable.

3) Educational barriers. Teachers of our public school systems are so inundated with ridiculous complaints by parents fearing an infringement on their children's rights that those with the best skills are turning towards the private sector. This is resulting in a less than average education compared with other countries.

I'm completely open to discussing these, and perhaps even changing my outlook as I'm in no way an expert on all of the above. However, there appear to be trends here that weren't present in previous generations.

Comments welcome.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:21 pm
Questioner wrote:
However, there appear to be trends here that weren't present in previous generations.

Comments welcome.

all points taken questioner. and welcome to a2k, btw.

regarding the trends comment;

i'm not sure that this is all together a truth. possibly more like a perception.

the example being that when i was really young, i heard my grandfather talk about how things had gone down hill. more than once, i heard the same thing from my dad (and still do. he likens the usa to the roman empire. ).

sadly, as i approach mid life, i hear similar things coming out of my own mouth.

part of it is just the cycle of life, which can be applied to societies as well as living beings, perhaps..
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:26 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
Questioner wrote:
However, there appear to be trends here that weren't present in previous generations.

Comments welcome.

all points taken questioner. and welcome to a2k, btw.

regarding the trends comment;

i'm not sure that this is all together a truth. possibly more like a perception.

the example being that when i was really young, i heard my grandfather talk about how things had gone down hill. more than once, i heard the same thing from my dad (and still do. he likens the usa to the roman empire. ).

sadly, as i approach mid life, i hear similar things coming out of my own mouth.

part of it is just the cycle of life, which can be applied to societies as well as living beings, perhaps..

Oh this is most certainly a perception. As stated, I don't have intimate knowledge of the previous generations. However, it's entirely possible that our Grandfather's said the same thing we're saying today because it held true for them then.

This downward trend hasn't necessarily started overnight.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 03:38 pm
I agree with what DTOM said about the ever changing societal norm. Whatever happened to extended families living together? We don't do that much any more, but is that an indicator of societal decay?

I'm not aware of any measurements of societal practices over time but there very well might be some. I'm not a sociologist and I don't pretend to have any basis for my opinion that this is much ado about nothing.

I grant you, Q, that big business is bigger and more impersonal than ever before but we each chose who we work for. I am surrounded by people involved in our communities and in making sure our school systems are the best they can be. Maybe I'm living on an island and simply don't see the social decay that others see but I heard the same things from my grandmother and my mother.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:15 pm
J_B wrote:
Maybe I'm living on an island and simply don't see the social decay that others see but I heard the same things from my grandmother and my mother.

it all seems to have a vague ring of "kids these days...) doesn't it ?

somehow, i suspect that here's a supersized portion of most folks just not liking "change". it's often a great challenge to our beliefs. but the only alternative is stagnation.

strangely enough, i feel like we've been being pulled backwards as a nation over the last few years.

some people have to be pulled kickin' and screamin' into the future. (or in some cases, into the present. Laughing )
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 04:23 pm
The downfall of American Society,when it eventually founders,which I think some way off,will be at the hand of an unknown cause just as the decline of the Roman Empire was.

I don't know how many theories there are of the actual cause but there's a lot.Any current theories concerning yourselves have the same status as those of old.

What really matters is that the gist of this thread is of a "felt" decline.You,on here,are harbingers,like when all the birds go quiet sometimes.Or you are paranoid.The Romans must have had the same discussions but they declined just the same.

I have heard of an explanation going back into the seedtime of the Roman Empire.Someone on that idea might thus point to the Constitution itself.Myself,I would put it to fleeing from Europe.

And some would say that it is in the very nature of humanity and "manifest destiny".
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:28 pm
It's become a me-first, screw your fellow man society.

Anon
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:33 pm
tupperware.
0 Replies