The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:06 pm
What is a Maple Syrup Lesbian? Smile
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:14 pm
Lash wrote:
Amigo-- Good morning!!

Do you imagine that throughout history, well-intentioned people, such as yourself, may have said the exact same things you are saying now?

I would just ask you --if no one is forcing you to engage in behavior you find objectionable-- why do you concern yourself with people around you exerting their own personal rights?

Doesn't that stance strike you as wrong?
Good mornig Lash!! (is this a trap?)

Yes Lash "Hell is paved with good intentions" -Samuel Johnson

I believe that peoples beliefs encourage a lack of empathy and understanding towards others.

"Why do you concern yourself with people around you exerting their own personal rights?"

Each side claims that their rights are being violated by the other side so this question can be posed by any group to vitually any other and all the answers will be the same.

I also believe that all Religions, Ideologies, Political parties, etc, etc are corruptible therefore we are corruptible through them.

Perhaps a bad liberal is somebody who doesn't want to take responsibility for their own life or is bitter about how they screwed their own life and wants all the conservatives to pay for it out of their own pocket and hold them back by violating there rights?So what is a bad consevative?

People are going to believe what serves them best or what they are born into or whatever everybody else is believing in but they will almost never think for themselves which would require that they step outside of themselves and consider that they may be wrong which is painful. No pain, No gain.

"Find the faults in others and correct them in yourself" -Some Buddha dude
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:33 pm
vinsan wrote:
Amigo wrote:
If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, the frog will immediately jump out. But if you place the frog in a pot of lukewarm water and slowly turn up the heat, the relaxed frog will just swim around, growing accustomed to the increasing warmth until it eventually boils to death. This is what happens with cultural decay. It is a gradual process that slowly dulls our senses until what was once seen as unacceptable somehow becomes acceptable.

Good Example Ami, but what about awareness? If you KNOW the "trend" of the society you realize how its gonna be.

And again, if you shape your future with morales that would make you a good human being, may be not the whole society but a fraction of it will look at you and try to follow your footsteps.

We have great leaders. We do get inspired from them. Do we read their autobiographies just for the sake of entertainment? Do we really think our senses go dull if we let them go. If you be aware, be strong to fight against the stream, the stream will automatically follow you.

Just kick start it yourself. Finally, I still don't find american Society on downfall. I appreciate the Freedom of Expression here. Its just that Freedom is often misinterpreted as uncontrolled irrational behaviour and above that the selfcentered life has taken over an ability to give a thought for others. When you start thinking about urself & others, it will automatically solve all problems we find in our society.
Vinsan, I agree with you and thats not my story. I heard it at a speech on the spread of facist ideas in America.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
Amigo--

No trap, sweetie. I've seen some things you've said, and my knives are retired, at least temporarily, where you are concerned.

This thing you said: Each side claims that their rights are being violated by the other side so this question can be posed by any group to vitually any other and all the answers will be the same.

What differences do you see in the rights of gays to marry--- (and how those rights infringe on the rights of those, who DON'T want gays to marry)

with the rights of those, who DON'T want gays to marry, and how that affects the rights of gays who want to marry?

I mean. Do you see how incredibly lopsided those "rights" are? Aren't the rights of the "Anti-Gay Marriage" group nothing other than taking another groups' rights?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:34 pm
Apologizing in advance for how confusing that was.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:42 pm
Those for gay marriage have the same rights as those against gay marriage. Plain and simple.

Do any of you get to actually vote on this issue? We don't get to vote on it in Louisiana. If I don't even get to vote on it or if I would abstain if I could vote on it I don't see how I am taking anyone's anything away from them.

I can't tell you how many laws have been passed that I voted for or against that I thought were for the common good. I didn't get all upset and think my rights were being taken away because I didn't get what I voted for. That's the way the system works. It's voted on and it's decided. I don't get to decide on this issue in Louisiana and I'm not really aware of any state having a public vote on it.

I am beginning to think this issue is a lot more about personalities than about the rights of others. And what I mean by that is people are getting so upset just because someone does not agree with them on something.

So what? So what? So what? There are, I would imagine, a myriad of things that a bunch of us do not agree on. Big deal. It's called being different. It's called life. It's called opinions. And, this, is called a discussion.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:46 pm
So, I look forward to hearing your perceptions on my question, Amigo, if you can make sense of it. If not, I'll be happy to discuss it via PM.

See you around!! Smile
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:48 pm
I don't mean in a tic for tac kind of way. With the "there rights my rights thing."

Of course gay people should be able to get married. there citizens. They pay taxes and fight in wars, make good movies and run the best restaurants.Some christians fell it should be illegal for them to get married. I have yet to find a gay person that is trying to make it ileagal for me to marry a women.

My knifes are retired too. I'm wore myself out.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:49 pm
HickoryStick wrote:
What is a Maple Syrup Lesbian? Smile

Hi, Hickory!!

A year or so ago, PBS had a children's documentary on Maple Syrup production, and they focused on a farm owned by two lesbians.

We had a hoo-hah about the issues revolving around children's shows, featuring lesbians, and produced by Public Television....herein known as the Maple Syrup Lesbian Chronicles. I'll see if I can link it for you. Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 03:51 pm
Amigo wrote:
I don't mean in a tic for tac kind of way. With the "there rights my rights thing."

Of course gay people should be able to get married. there citizens. They pay taxes and fight in wars, make good movies and run the best restaurants.Some christians fell it should be illegal for them to get married. I have yet to find a gay person that is trying to make it ileagal for me to marry a women.

My knifes are retired too. I'm wore myself out.

This made me smile. Every bit of it!!

<We can still fight about stupid things like Clinton and Bush once in a while, if you want to...glad we're not fighting about important stuff, though!! Smile>
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
Amigo,

I think your statement about a gay trying to make it illegal for you to marry a woman just a bit out of context (not sure that's the right word here.)

It has been pretty much known through the beginning of time that marriage has meant a man and a woman. Now, there are those that want that changed. In order for same sex marriage to be legal the definition of marriage has to be redefined by the law. It is not easy for people to accept something 100% opposite of what they have accepted all of their lives. But they are being asked to. And, if they don't accept it they are labeled things like homophobic, discriminatory, etc.

I just read something in another thread by an admitted homosexual that really made me take notice. He was really offended by the fact that someone had labeled gays and homosexuals as "a class of people." Just because someone is a homosexual, it doesn't make them a different class of people. It just makes them people with something different in their lives. No different than anyone else. So, now it seems that even those for gay marriage are labeling gays and homosexuals and one for sure doesn't care much for it. So, perhaps in everyone's zeal to do the right thing, the very ones they are championing are the ones that are being effected the most.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:01 pm
I made you smile!

Then today is already a success. Very Happy

(Alright, weve done enough ass kissing)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:05 pm
Amigo--

More tomorrow! <LOL>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Those for gay marriage have the same rights as those against gay marriage. Plain and simple.

As far as that goes, it is plain and simple.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Those for slavery had the same rights as those against slavery.

Those for women's right to vote had the same rights as those against women's right to vote.

~~~~~~~~

The issue is not the rights of the people who are already in a position of power/right. Never has been.

~~~~~~~

What people with power and existing rights do with that power and those rights is the question.

With rights come responsibility.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't what I can to improve the world around me (to my understanding of improvement), then I believe I've failed in my responsibility to my community and greater world.

That'd be a WWJD thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:17 pm
ehbeth,

Actually, you seem to understand exactly what I am saying here.

Yes, it's our responsibility to improve what we can in this world. I agree with you 100%. It just seems that sometimes in trying to make these changes that one feels should be made, the ones that disagree with the changes then become the ones discriminated against.

I may not believe homosexuality is an okay thing but I am more than willing to go with our system and abide by the laws. If it's made legal then it's legal. If it's not, then it's not. Either way, it's not going to effect the way I treat anyone. I will still treat them like human beings as they should be.

I see the real problem not as defending someone's rights anymore. It's gotten to the point of well, if you disagree with a different point of view than your own you are flat out wrong. Even if that is the case, ehbeth, I see no reason for anyone to be discriminated against, bashed, called names, etc. And I mean from either side of the fence.

When it comes down to someone being right is more important than the issue itself, I think there is a problem.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:20 pm
Mamma, Its none of my damn business how two grown adults choose to express their love to eachother weather it is right or wrong or God approves or not. Let God judge them if it is in fact wrong.

Your position can not be defended except with "God said so, so know you have to do what god told me you have to do"

Taliban translated means "student of god". At first the Taliban was like a sunday school for islam then they got older and started putting a Taliban member in every town so that when you needed to consult with a religious person you could go to your local Taliban. But then the Taliban started knocking on peoples doors that weren't seeking their advise. When the people that answered the door told the Taliban to "F**k off". The Taliban decided they needed to become the law to make the people do what they knew were right. To the Christians and the Taliban I say stay away from my door and I will stay away from yours.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:21 pm
The kid is hot tonight.

Respect and chillbumps to Amigo.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:24 pm
Sombody pour a buket of water on me!!!!

Where's Tico!! Let me at him!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
NO! I've created a monster!!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
momma wrote :
'If it's made legal then it's legal. If it's not, then it's not.'

i would doubt that you truly mean that.
look back into history - don't have to go back far.

slavery was considered 'legal' at on time. so slaves who didn't agree with that should have accepted that (if i raed you correctly). they should not have asked for freedom , because ... 'If it's not, then it's not.'

i would say, that there is human behaviour that i do not understand, but as long as that behaviour does not physically harm me or restrict my activities grossly , i'll accept it and do my best to undertand.

imo there are surely more important issues than to worry about same sex marriage and similar human behaviour that i do not yet understand.

only through struggle, understanding and acceptance has humankind moved forward over time.

hbg
0 Replies