The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:41 pm
This is a hot topic for me.

I predict the #1 answer is going to be President Bush...

LOL, ok that's all I'm going to say about that...

Well for one I think it's a direct result of family's becoming dysfunctional more and more. Latch key kids raising themselves on video games and twinkies. Very little discipline because if you do they cry...

CHILD ABUSE!!!!!

If we aren't training the kids, what's the NEXT generation of adults going to be like? It's a scarey thought if you ask me...

Another thing I was thinking about too is how as we make things easier for ourselves through "pay at the pump" gas stations, "pay your bills online"... and so on, we are limiting our contact with others outside our personal circle more and more... cutting ourselves off from each other. What kind of effect is this really having on us? Wasn't it nice when you were having a bad morning and you went in to pay for your gas to be thanked by someone you could tell was sincere and told to have a nice day...

Why are we always in such a hurry anyway?

Why are we so busy?

I don't know... that's all my thoughts right now though.

So what do YOU think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,283 • Replies: 298
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:46 pm
Yes, President Bush is responsible for all the faults of modern life.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:49 pm
I'm with you on this one Hephzibah. The thing I dislike the most is there seems to be no customer service anymore. When I make a call to a company I'd really like to talk to a person instead of a machine.

And I just love it when bill collectors call nowadays. They leave a recorded message on your answering machine for you to call them back! Shocked I mean, it's like I'll have my machine get in touch with your machine. It sometimes seems like we are isolating ourselves from ourselves.

Everything is geared to what is most efficient and it seems humankind are just being shoved aside and being replaced by machines.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:52 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Rolling Eyes come on now brandon... how can you blame one man for a society that has been slowly declining for probably longer than he was even alive?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:53 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Rolling Eyes come on now brandon... how can you blame one man for a society that has been slowly declining for probably longer than he was even alive?

He loathes the common man and would do anything to destroy society. I believe he is actually a Satan worshipper.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:56 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

He loathes the common man and would do anything to destroy society. I believe he is actually a Satan worshipper.

YIKES! can you tell me how you came to these conclusions about him?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:00 am
hephzibah wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

YIKES! can you tell me how you came to these conclusions about him?

This has been covered here time and time again, and if you can't accept the truth, that's your problem. It is common knowledge that Bush stole the 2000 election with bribery and denying of voting to minorities, and he's used his two terms to try to take from the poor and give to the rich, while implementing his plan to become emperor of the world. I predict that he will use his secret police to prevent the next presidential election from taking place. Bush makes Caligula look like an advocate of democracy.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:08 am
hephzibah I think I did this topic on Abuzz - think I added moral decline also Wink in the title
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:13 am
I believe the downfall of the American society can be placed squarely on the massive shoulders of Husker.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:19 am
Quote:
This has been covered here time and time again, and if you can't accept the truth, that's your problem. It is common knowledge that Bush stole the 2000 election with bribery and denying of voting to minorities, and he's used his two terms to try to take from the poor and give to the rich, while implementing his plan to become emperor of the world. I predict that he will use his secret police to prevent the next presidential election from taking place. Bush makes Caligula look like an advocate of democracy.

Shocked Hey brandon... ummm... ok then I guess.

#1 I'm new here... only two weeks old I believe.... So no I haven't seen this covered time and time again...

#2 Politics is not my field. It is something I have absolutely no interest in at all. So, if I ever get lost... don't look for me in the politics forum...

So if I ask questions please don't be harsh. My only motive is to hear your side of it.

Husker:

Dang! Where were YOU when I was thinking up this thread?? Your slackin buddy! You should have been there to help me remember to add the moral decline thing! LOL :wink:
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:21 am
gus... I fail to see the humor in that....

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAHAHA! Just Kidding!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:28 am
little article America's Moral Decline
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:31 am
General Douglas McArthur said: History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into economic and political decline. There has neither been a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:41 am
Some interesting thoughts, hephzibah. Consider this to be my bookmark.

Bush hasn't helped, Brandon, but I really doubt he's the root or proximate cause. Uh, have you had a recent change of heart in this matter? Serious question, by the way.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:45 am
The following is an article that I saved because it was of particular significance to me at the time. I think that the author was dead on in expressing one of the changes our country went through during the Reagan Bush era.
Quote:
Subject: Remember when we loved our jobs?

Ref:Abstract of a column in THE PALM BEACH POST (June19, 1991) by Clinton C. Glen, reprinted from THE BALTIMORE SUN

You have no doubt heard of the term VALUE ADDED. Well, this is about VALUE LOST, not of a product or service but to the workplace. The old work ethic is gone, the deeply rooted one that almost everybody, at some level, would like to believe still exists, the simple equation: "Let's make a deal. I will give you an honest day's work. I will be loyal, dependable, dedicated and true to the company, in return for which I will ask you to give me a measure of security, occasional promotions, incremental raises and eventually a retirement dinner and a watch."

That ethic has run deep in the American work culture. It will not be quickly erased or easily forgotten, but as a force it is gone.

A bright young person came to work in an office recently. She was thrilled with her new job, willing and eager to learn. She is gone now. "I really liked this job. I worked hard. Gave it my all. Look what happened!" She said the executive who laid her off told her, "Don't take it personally; it was a business decision." Was she bitter? No, she was disillusioned. She was experiencing VALUE LOST.

This is not a lament that business decisions negatively affect personal lives. In the normal business dynamic, some people are going to be hurt by decisions that are made. The concern here has more to do with the reality of an increasingly intense, spiritless workplace focused strictly on the bottom line.

This did not happen overnight. There never was a declaration that said, "let's do away with the values that make for an affirming workplace where people feel good about themselves and the things that they do." That ethic more or less leaked and then hemorrhaged out of the work culture, leaving an ethically anemic context within which to work.

People cannot (or will not) give their all if they believe that a "bottom-line force" will come sweeping through their offices today or tomorrow and blow them away with the disclaimer: "Don't take it personally. It is a business decision." People cannot "run scared" all the time with respect to this most important feature of human life.

We once had a relatively simple work ethic or value; at least we believed that we did. We acted as if it was in place, and to a large extent it was. Now we are in the midst of complexity. Nothing is clear. The old work assumptions do not hold. The value is lost, and it is not yet clear what the new value system will be.

There is no new work ethic to present. We have to stay in our state of complexity until some simple, obvious ethic or value begins to emerge. And it will. Something as important for human beings as work, simply must be "felt" as valuable.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 01:46 am
I certainly take the point that loyalty and responsibility are going to be a two way street, or no street at all, mesquite. Maybe we could put this down as faceless corporations operating by policy, rather than individual decisions - supposedly in the best interests of the many stockholders?

Anyway, I'm sure it goes further back than either Bush or Reagan. How about WWII? I'm not going to get caught up in an argument about whether it's bad or good that women got out of the house to earn a living in traditionally men's fields (yeah, Rosie the Riveter, soz), but it just may have contributed to the decline we're discussing.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 05:20 am
tv dinners have caused the breakup of the nuclear family, and crock pots. Cheap wines in the 70's made everybody just wanna have sex and throw up. This is my studied analysis and I think I will write this up for some jounal like Trailer Life.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:20 am
one word TUPPERWARE
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:37 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Y'hear that, Dok?

You seen Dubya in church lately?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2006 06:41 am
Miss Eppie, that is what passes for satire on Brandon's part. It is, of course, more than a little heavy-handed, and lacking in the humor which ordinarily makes satire more palatable.

Douglas MacArthur was a fine tactical commander, and possessed of a quick strategic analytical ability, and a mind which "ate up" detail--he was about as politically astute as the dog which now lies snoozing at my feet.

History is littered with the corpses of pronouncements of moral decay and portending disaster . . .

O Tempora, O Mores ! ! !
0 Replies