The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:04 pm
Re: The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?
Chumly wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
so i guess i can take it that you more or less lay down the perceived downfall of america at the feet of all but "the right" ?.
I would be careful in suggesting such a concrete delineation, my dialogue with PS suggests that a transwarp approach has a higher level of efficacy.

just pointing out the implications of her comments.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
I was trying for some humor
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:16 pm
J_B wrote:
I liked that one too, DTOM.

PS's claim that the fact that women are in the workforce and not staying home to raise their babies is leading to the moral decline of America is ludicrous.

Quote:
Good breeding is fast becoming a thing of the past, replaced by rough, uncouth, low-class trashy behavior. Manners are not taught to children, because the parents are too busy working so that they can have those extra cell phones and designer clothes for the kids.

First, I don't buy the cry of moral decay and even if it were a fact I disagree with the premise that the typical American woman is leaving her baby with a sitter so that she can have an extra cell for or designer clothes for the kids.

i don't either, j.b. moral decay is a perception seen through glasses of an ever changing world.

that's okay. i can understand it. i'm not 20 anymore either. Crying or Very sad

being a latchkey kid myself from the age of 9, i can guarantee that my mother returned tot eh work force not for cell phones (they didn't exist till several decades later), but to help my father pay for luxuries like housing, food, non-trendy clothing (neither one approved of trendy anything), medical and school expenses.

and strangely enough, rather than return to her previous profession, in which she would have made the big bucks, she chose to instead become a teacher and then a professor.

frankly, it's personally insulting to me when people start carping about the bad kids being a result of radical lefty teachers and profs.

bad kids are the direct result of bad parenting. and having grown up in a time and area that was a model of the stay at home mom, conservative values rhetoric, i can assure you that there were still bad kids.

mush to my chagrin, i wasn't one of them.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
Chumly wrote:
I was trying for some humor

ohh. Embarrassed
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
Everyone's in here dicking off instead of working to enlarge the GNP. Wink
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:34 pm
Re: The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?
Chumly wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
so i guess i can take it that you more or less lay down the perceived downfall of america at the feet of all but "the right" ?.
I would be careful in suggesting such a concrete delineation, my dialogue with PS suggests that a transwarp approach has a higher level of efficacy.

This should not go unheralded!!

Chumley deserves an increase in pay. And a shrubbery!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:32 pm
My rugged, manly good looks does not prevent me from blushing should the occasion arise.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 10:50 pm
Just as I suspected! He will blush when necessary!
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 01:33 am
If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, the frog will immediately jump out. But if you place the frog in a pot of lukewarm water and slowly turn up the heat, the relaxed frog will just swim around, growing accustomed to the increasing warmth until it eventually boils to death. This is what happens with cultural decay. It is a gradual process that slowly dulls our senses until what was once seen as unacceptable somehow becomes acceptable.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:05 am
Amigo wrote:
If you drop a frog into a pot of boiling water, the frog will immediately jump out. But if you place the frog in a pot of lukewarm water and slowly turn up the heat, the relaxed frog will just swim around, growing accustomed to the increasing warmth until it eventually boils to death. This is what happens with cultural decay. It is a gradual process that slowly dulls our senses until what was once seen as unacceptable somehow becomes acceptable.

Good Example Ami, but what about awareness? If you KNOW the "trend" of the society you realize how its gonna be.

And again, if you shape your future with morales that would make you a good human being, may be not the whole society but a fraction of it will look at you and try to follow your footsteps.

We have great leaders. We do get inspired from them. Do we read their autobiographies just for the sake of entertainment? Do we really think our senses go dull if we let them go. If you be aware, be strong to fight against the stream, the stream will automatically follow you.

Just kick start it yourself. Finally, I still don't find american Society on downfall. I appreciate the Freedom of Expression here. Its just that Freedom is often misinterpreted as uncontrolled irrational behaviour and above that the selfcentered life has taken over an ability to give a thought for others. When you start thinking about urself & others, it will automatically solve all problems we find in our society.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:04 am
Err....try doing the same with a cat and see if it will grow accustomed and boil to death. Using a frog is a weak analogy.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
The cat won't even tolerate dampness. Trust me. I can't tell you how many I've tried to boil.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:47 am
Amigo,

Whether using a frog or not as an example in your analogy, I find it a very good description of cultural decay. I am right with you on society gradually over times accepts more and more unacceptable behavior as acceptable.

Vinsan,

If we all did start thinking of others as much as we think of ourselves it sure would be a great place to start.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 10:59 am
Amigo-- Good morning!!

Do you imagine that throughout history, well-intentioned people, such as yourself, may have said the exact same things you are saying now?

I would just ask you --if no one is forcing you to engage in behavior you find objectionable-- why do you concern yourself with people around you exerting their own personal rights?

Doesn't that stance strike you as wrong?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:32 pm
Lash wrote:
The cat won't even tolerate dampness. Trust me. I can't tell you how many I've tried to boil.

that's why you have to use a crockpot. no muss, no fuss and ready to eat by the time you get home from work.

best served with catsup....
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 12:45 pm
Humanity is getting what it deserves.

The part of humanity that lives in America is especially getting what it deserves...because it deserves it more than others.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 01:50 pm
That could equally apply to being disgusted or to being contented.Which is it?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:20 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Whether using a frog or not as an example in your analogy, I find it a very good description of cultural decay.
If you are talking about Quebec separatists, I agree Smile
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:47 pm
I read a very convincing essay claiming that the cause of the downfall of American society was Clinton's actions regarding Ms. Lewinsky. It stated that that incident told America that it was ok to do whatever, as long as it felt good.

It also pointed out that the bedroom was brought out into the public, which was obvious in a change in TV programming.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 02:55 pm
I'll have to admit I was pissed about Lewinski.

There was no way a parent could postpone talk of oral sex with Bill's peckerdillos strung across the 6:00 News every night.

But, as with the Maple Syrup lesbians, one can easily choose other TV shows, if they feel the need.
0 Replies