The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?

echi

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 03:11 am
Re: The downfall of America's society... what is the cause?
PoetSeductress wrote:
echi wrote:
Chumly--

You are not looking at this from the perspective of a white, male, property-owning Christian, though. I think that's your problem.

That's right, echi. Convice Chumly that it's best to continue the blame game, and never again regain his power as a verile human being, but remain in a victim mentality. This way, he'll never be a winner in life, but always looking back with resentment. Yes. Steal his future by robbing him of his healthy self-image and bright hope. Go ahead. Make a radical's day. This way, he can be the radical's slave for life. They are the modern-day masters of the "down-trodden".

Yeah, It's better just to make up excuses and try to forget about what really happened.
0 Replies

PoetSeductress

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:39 am
echi wrote:
PoetSeductress wrote:
echi wrote:
Chumly--

You are not looking at this from the perspective of a white, male, property-owning Christian, though. I think that's your problem.

That's right, echi. Convice Chumly that it's best to continue the blame game, and never again regain his power as a verile human being, but remain in a victim mentality. This way, he'll never be a winner in life, but always looking back with resentment. Yes. Steal his future by robbing him of his healthy self-image and bright hope. Go ahead. Make a radical's day. This way, he can be the radical's slave for life. They are the modern-day masters of the "down-trodden".

Yeah, It's better just to make up excuses and try to forget about what really happened.

If you're happy with the view from the bottom of the barrel instead of the mountaintop, that's all that matters.

(Note my signature and try to meditate on it for the next 20 minutes.)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 08:24 am
hephzibah wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
echi,

Well, I for one believe America is in moral decline and quite honestly cannot understand how someone would think we aren't.

Mass murders, school shootings, paedophiles, serial killers, etc. Kids killing their parents. Everyone wanting to do what they want to do. The, "it's right for me" mentality is destroying this world IMO.

It looks like MA is spouting the same old sky is falling scenerio with once again no stats to back it up. She makes it seem as though greed, mass murders and paedophiles are a new phenomonen.

What is worth noting though is that 50 years ago a large portion of the U.S. was segregated. 50 years before that, women were thought too stupid to be allowed to vote. 50 years before that, blacks were bought and sold and treated like cattle.

Once again there's a vulture circling overhead, looking for some easy prey...

I guess they saw the jackal lurking in the bushes...

hmmm...

No. Just the easy prey. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing None of them can answer anything--they prefer to speak as if they are superior and know something no one else knows, when they agree that history isn't something they should consider in formulating this tirelessly repeated school marm theory of the decline of America.

It's not that we don't see what you see----it's that we realize every preceding generation saw the same thing. A history book. A neat idea. Try it sometime.

I cant believe the arcane rhetoric here about men, who admit to sensitivity meeting with inane crap like "Are you g-a-y?" If that's what's selling on the mountaintop, please stay there.

and virile. The mountaintop must not require spelling.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:04 am
Momma Angel wrote:
echi,

Well, I for one believe America is in moral decline and quite honestly cannot understand how someone would think we aren't.

To be honest with you, things are getting better as far as violent crimes are concerned.

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/totals.gif

Now, this data is a few years old but regardless, it gives a look at our homocide rate since 1950. source

Accoring to the FBI, violent crimes (murder and nonnegligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery, and aggravated assault) went down from 2003 to 2004, by 1.2%. source

Reading on you see that they have decreased by 24% since 1995.

According to this same source, property crimes (burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and arson.) went down from 2003 to 2004, by 1.1%. source

If you continue reading, it says that this is down 14.4% from 1995.

So things are getting better. Or if nothing else, stay about the same.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:51 am
Bella Dea,

I am going to do some research into this. I am sure there are some things that may be getting better and some that aren't. I don't have the big picture as of yet.

I guess a lot of it is thinking back to how things were when I was a kid and then looking at society today. I mean just being out there in the public. Thanx for the site and I will get back to you.

How's Zoe?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:59 am
Can't believe you all missed this. It's A2K.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:15 pm
It's amazing--maybe it shouldn't be--how much involvement there is to the question of our national decline. The thread is moving too fast for me. I go away for a short time and it has moved so far ahead that I can't read it and do my other chores.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm
It's a slippery slope, JL. Wink
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
Lash wrote:
If you were sitting under a tree and you watched an apple fall from the tree branch above you to alongside your foot, would you insist on proof that the pathway between the branch and the ground be tracked, measured, and proven, in order to know that it really fell, there?

No, but if someone said there was an apple lying next to my foot, while I saw it was clearly still in the tree, I'd ask them what was wrong with their eyesight.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:41 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Bella Dea,

I am going to do some research into this. I am sure there are some things that may be getting better and some that aren't. I don't have the big picture as of yet.

I guess a lot of it is thinking back to how things were when I was a kid and then looking at society today. I mean just being out there in the public. Thanx for the site and I will get back to you.

How's Zoe?

She's ok, thanks for asking!

I really don't think things are worse. I think that the older we get, the more aware we are of death and the world around us. We see more. We read more. We hear more. Kids got snatched out of their backyards 50 years ago. Fathers beat up their kids and their wives all the time. Other kids beat up and bullied in groups the smaller kids. I think that people cycle and there are bad times and good times. You have to consider the population factor. There ARE more violent crimes because there are more people. But the percent is what you have to look at. And that tells us that it's as safe now as it was in 1950.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:46 pm
You see the thing is life in american or anywhere else for that matter, never was a Norman Rockwell painting for a Sat Evening Post. We remember things the way we wanted them to be, not the way they were.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:46 pm
Bella Dea & Chumly & Dyslexia agree, so it must be true Smile
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
PoetSeductress wrote:
My education was not ever-so-cleverly infiltrated with radical indoctination and outright partisan censorship of historical textbooks and classroom discussion, as the students have become subjected to in the public schools within the past few decades.

i noticed in a previous post that you referred to "the right" and "the radically redefinedleft ".

so i guess i can take it that you more or less lay down the perceived downfall of america at the feet of all but "the right" ?

interestingly enough, it occured to me a day or so ago that of the last 25 years, "the right" has controlled the white house for all but 8 of those years.

"the right" has controlled congress for over a decade back now.

so for the last 5+ years, "the right", not "the radically redefined left" has been running the whole show nationally. there's also a huge percentage of governors and state legislators that are affiliates of "the right".

seems to me that any "downfall" being experienced by the current generation is the gift of "the right" more than "the radically redefined left".
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:52 pm
dyslexia wrote:
You see the thing is life in american or anywhere else for that matter, never was a Norman Rockwell painting for a Sat Evening Post. We remember things the way we wanted them to be, not the way they were.

or as my old granpappy used to say, "the good old day ? humph. nuthin' good about 'em".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:53 pm
I liked that one too, DTOM.

PS's claim that the fact that women are in the workforce and not staying home to raise their babies is leading to the moral decline of America is ludicrous.

Quote:
Good breeding is fast becoming a thing of the past, replaced by rough, uncouth, low-class trashy behavior. Manners are not taught to children, because the parents are too busy working so that they can have those extra cell phones and designer clothes for the kids.

First, I don't buy the cry of moral decay and even if it were a fact I disagree with the premise that the typical American woman is leaving her baby with a sitter so that she can have an extra cell for or designer clothes for the kids.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:58 pm
Medicine is the reason for the decline of the US.

What ever happened to survival of the fittest? All the stupid asses are living longer and we are keeping them alive.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 01:58 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
so i guess i can take it that you more or less lay down the perceived downfall of america at the feet of all but "the right" ?.
I would be careful in suggesting such a concrete delineation, my dialogue with PS suggests that a transwarp approach has a higher level of efficacy.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:00 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
What ever happened to survival of the fittest?
Don't you mean survival of the fattest?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Medicine is the reason for the decline of the US.

What ever happened to survival of the fittest? All the stupid asses are living longer and we are keeping them alive.

Very Happy

And, my post above should have said 'phone' not 'for'. Time for my meds.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 02:02 pm
Chumly wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
What ever happened to survival of the fittest?
Don't you mean survival of the fattest?

That is currently the case here in the US.
0 Replies