I'm Sure This Sounds Stupid But....

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:44 pm
Something just stung me on my toe while I was in the kitchen. It really hurt. But, when I looked down, there was nothing there. All that is there is a white spot where the sting was and the whole left side of my foot (left of the toe that was stung) is numb. Does anyone have any clue what this might have been that stung me?

I live in Louisiana if that makes a difference.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,230 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:44 pm
Call a nurse. Could be a brown recluse.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:46 pm
call a brujo, it may be a curse.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:47 pm
Lash is right, get this checked out immediately. Get someone else to check out the kitchen for you, CAREFULLY--they are really tiny spiders, but have one hell of a toxic bite. My lower leg swelled to twice its normal size, and i was laid up for weeks. Get to a phone RIGHT NOW.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:49 pm
I have a very skilled curandera, I could give you ner number.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
Ok, I am calling the ER right now! Thanx!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:51 pm
Stop your infernal rhyming and boil water.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
Ok, they said to come in to the ER and let them look at it. I feel so stupid. I mean it's just my stupid toe and my foot is numb! How dumb is this? Anyway, they said it might be a brown recluse so don't mess around.

I will let you all know later what they said. Thanx for the advice.

Setanta, a special thanx to you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
****!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:00 pm
I get no respect.

;>
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:02 pm
Lash wrote:
I get no respect.

;>

your point is?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:03 pm
http://static.flickr.com/40/86220673_ed5cb5e539_m.jpg

They are about 3/8s inch long.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:05 pm
Momma- I hope that everything is all right. The sooner that you get medical aid the better. I once met a guy who had been bitten by a brown recluse. His entire lower leg was totally swollen. He had to have IV antibiotics for weeks, because he did not get to it soon enough.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html

[quote]The physical reaction to a brown recluse spider bite depends on the amount of venom injected and an individual's sensitivity to it. Some people are unaffected by a bite, whereas others experience immediate or delayed effects as the venom kills the tissues (necrosis) at the site of the bite. Many brown recluse bites cause just a little red mark that heals without event. The vast majority of brown recluse bites heal without severe scarring (http://spiders.ucr.edu/avoidbites.html).

Initially, the bite may feel like a pinprick or go unnoticed. Some may not be aware of the bite for 2 to 8 hours. Others feel a stinging sensation followed by intense pain. Infrequently, some victims experience general systemic reactions that may include restlessness, generalized itching, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting, or shock. A small white blister usually initially rises at the bite site surrounded by a swollen area. The affected area enlarges and becomes red, and the tissue is hard to the touch for some time. The lesion from a brown recluse spider bite is a dry, blue-gray or blue-white, irregular sinking patch with ragged edges and surrounding redness--termed the "red, white, and blue sign." The lesion usually is 1½ inches by 2¾ inches or smaller. Characteristics of a bite are further discussed at http://www.amednews.com/free/hlsa0805. [/quote]

Let us know how you are!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Oof.

Good luck!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Yikes! Hope you're doing ok Momma. Smart move calling the ER.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 06:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Ok, they said to come in to the ER and let them look at it. I feel so stupid. I mean it's just my stupid toe and my foot is numb! How dumb is this? Anyway, they said it might be a brown recluse so don't mess around.

I will let you all know later what they said. Thanx for the advice.

Setanta, a special thanx to you.

Good action, and good luck.

Let us know how you are.

I got bitten by something a while back, DIDN'T do anything, and damn nearly ended up in hospital on drips, or dead, and such, cos I got a very nasty infection.

Praise be to antibiotics.

Take care.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:11 pm
Yikes! I hope it turns out alright, Momma.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:11 pm
just read about this, MA. take care.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
bm
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 07:42 pm
Hey everyone!

Well, can't say that was too much fun. The doctor said it looks like it was a brown recluse but since I got there right away it shouldn't give me too much trouble.

The numbness got halfway up my leg by the time I was treated. There was only a tiny bit of swelling on the toe itself and I only got slightly sick to my stomach. But that danged ice pack on my foot was cold! But, nothing major. They gave me some kind of cortisone shots and I have to take some antibiotics for awhile. My toe is going to look funny from where the bite was. But hey, I never had great looking feet anyway. Very Happy

So, I am going to go to bed and get some rest. I sure do appreciate everyone's advice and good wishes.

And Lash, I do respect you! :wink:
0 Replies