The Unitary Executive Branch

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:33 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Bush has taken his 'test' of Executive Branch powers to a completely new level; whereas presidents have openly defied the wishes of Congress in the past, Bush does it in secret.

Exactly. Bush LIES to our faces and then does whatever he wants to do behind our backs; he evades accountability through secret executive orders; and he circumvents our constitutional checks and balances by refusing congressional oversight and evading judicial review. The form of government that we were guaranteed by our Constitution cannot exist in practice if the president is allowed to operate in the secret and dark corners of his administration unconstrained by the rule of law.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 04:49 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Powers assigned to the president in the constitution cannot legally be removed by a majority (or even two-thirds) vote in the Congress, establishing a new "law".

The Constitution clearly and unambiguously gives Congress the power to make rules and regulations for government, for the exercise of powers held by government officials, for our armed forces, for the treatment of captives, etc.

Although Congress may not divest the President of his constitutional role as the civilian commander-in-chief of the armed forces, Congress may indeed pass laws that regulate the manner in which the president uses his CIC powers.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:15 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
... Whether or not he agrees with those laws or finds them to be wise or unwise, the president's constitutional duty is to faithfully excute the laws enacted by our elected representatives in Congress.

He is not, however, required to faithfully execute unconstitutional laws passed by the Congress. Any attempt on your part to claim otherwise is without merit.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:18 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I take it you both agree that if Hillary is elected in 2008 (or some other Dem who you loathe) then you have no problem whatsoever with her ignoring any provisions of Congress that she doesn't feel meet the Constitutional interpretation that she favors? I'm sure Republican congressman would have a bone to pick with you on that one.

I'll even throw you a bone and bring up your favorite target: if Clinton issued signing statements at the level that Bush has, you'd be screaming bloody f*ckin murder, and you know it!

Cycloptichorn

I'm sure my position would be the same. But then again you must realize I don't hate Clinton. I believe he's a lying sack of poo, but I don't hate him.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:19 pm
You are incorrect, Tico. Until the law has been declared UnConstitutional by the Judicial Branch, the Executive branch is breaking the law by violating the law, regardless of their opinion of the Constitutionality of the law in question. They have the ability to do so, but not the right to do so and avoid the consequences of their actions.

Your argument is reduced to pointing out that some presidents in the past have 'gotten away with it.'

I will ask you again: Do you agree that there should be no establishment of fact in this case? That it is correct for Republicans in Congress to block investigation into whether or not the President is acting in a legal and correct manner?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:20 pm
Question Laughing I was talking about Hillary!

Telling, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:28 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Question Laughing I was talking about Hillary!

Telling, though.

Cycloptichorn

She's hardly my "favorite target." Matter of fact, I'm not sure she's ever been a target of mine. Although it's true that I find her voice very similar to the sound produced by fingernails scraping across a chalkboard, that's about the extent of my attacks on her.

Same answer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:29 pm
Same non-answer, you mean? The question:

I will ask you again: Do you agree that there should be no establishment of fact in this case? That it is correct for Republicans in Congress to block investigation into whether or not the President is acting in a legal and correct manner?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Your argument is reduced to pointing out that some presidents in the past have 'gotten away with it.'

Did you forget that part of that prior post of mine where it was pointed out that ....

Quote:
Even the Supreme Court itself agrees to some extent: As Walter Dellinger observed when he served in the Office of Legal Counsel during the Clinton administration, the Court has "endorsed" the practice of a President's declining to enforce statutory requirements he views as unconstitutional.

LINK

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

No, I don't.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:38 pm
Excellent! I look forward to you applauding the upcoming investigations once my boys get congress back this fall.

I didn't miss your earlier post, I just have yet to see where the SC 'endorsed' the concept you are talking about; only that one man believes that the SC 'endorsed' presidents deciding what the Constitution means unilaterally. Hardly definative.

From you Findlaw link:

Quote:
As the California Attorney General's brief points out, Marbury v. Madison does say that "it is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is." But "emphatically" is not "exclusively," and history suggests that sometimes the Executive -- and not just the Judiciary -- has also pronounced on the constitutionality of laws.

Indeed, many a President has historically, and I think properly, asserted a power to decline to enforce a Congressional statute that he believes is unconstitutional -- a power deriving from both the oath he takes to support the U.S. Constitution, and his duty to see that the law, especially the Constitution, is "faithfully executed."

Nowhere does it say that the President can ignore the consequences of his actions.

The truth is that this (the above) argument is complete BS. The president doesn't need to rely upon 'Constitutional Interpretation' to take or not take action. The president has the authority to take or not take action based upon whatever criteria that he likes; but he cannot avoid the consequences of doing so!

The 'different Constitutional Interpretation' argument only arises as the President attempts to defend his actions. It does not lead to his actions in the first place. We know for a fact that the justification for the NSA spying program has 'evolved' over time; this is proof enough that it is not constitutional interpretation that lead Bush to break the law by spying, but it is the excuse he is trying to use to keep from being investigated for doing so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 05:57 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I didn't miss your earlier post, I just have yet to see where the SC 'endorsed' the concept you are talking about; only that one man believes that the SC 'endorsed' presidents deciding what the Constitution means unilaterally. Hardly definative.

I never claimed it to be definative ... but I thought FindLaw's Writ was the darling of the leftists on this thread. In any case, although you may not yet believe Clinton's lawyer, Dellinger, it should be sufficient to show you my position is hardly reduced to "pointing out that some presidents in the past have 'gotten away with it.'"

Quote:
From you Findlaw link:

Quote:
As the California Attorney General's brief points out, Marbury v. Madison does say that "it is emphatically the province and duty of the judicial department to say what the law is." But "emphatically" is not "exclusively," and history suggests that sometimes the Executive -- and not just the Judiciary -- has also pronounced on the constitutionality of laws.

Indeed, many a President has historically, and I think properly, asserted a power to decline to enforce a Congressional statute that he believes is unconstitutional -- a power deriving from both the oath he takes to support the U.S. Constitution, and his duty to see that the law, especially the Constitution, is "faithfully executed."

Nowhere does it say that the President can ignore the consequences of his actions.

You don't still harbor a belief that I think that to be the case, do you?

Quote:
We know for a fact that the justification for the NSA spying program has 'evolved' over time; this is proof enough that it is not constitutional interpretation that lead Bush to break the law by spying, but it is the excuse he is trying to use to keep from being investigated for doing so.

Cycloptichorn

You are confused, Cyclops. If A's shooting B is justified, it is justified whether shown to be justified under Theory #1 or Theory #2, even if Theory #2 wasn't conceived at the time of the shooting.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
... Whether or not he agrees with those laws or finds them to be wise or unwise, the president's constitutional duty is to faithfully excute the laws enacted by our elected representatives in Congress.

He is not, however, required to faithfully execute unconstitutional laws passed by the Congress. Any attempt on your part to claim otherwise is without merit.

All laws passed by Congress and signed into law by the President are presumptively constitutional. Laws are not unconstitutional (thus, unenforceable) unless declared to be so by a court of law.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:29 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

All laws passed by Congress and signed into law by the President are presumptively constitutional. Laws are not unconstitutional (thus, unenforceable) unless declared to be so by a court of law.

You're wrong ... see my full response somewhere on the "America ... Spying on Americans" thread.

Congress does not hold the power to regulate the Executive Branch, and the President is not forced to blindly enforce laws passed by Congress. Unconstitutional laws are void from their enactment ... they are not made void upon an unconstitutional finding by the judiciary. The President is entitled to make an executive review of laws, and there is historical precedent for Presidents to do so, which you must admit, even though you don't want to.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:35 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

You're wrong ... see my full response somewhere on the "America ... Spying on Americans" thread.

Congress does not hold the power to regulate the Executive Branch, and the President is not forced to blindly enforce laws passed by Congress. Unconstitutional laws are void from their enactment ... they are not made void upon an unconstitutional finding by the judiciary. The President is entitled to make an executive review of laws, and there is historical precedent for Presidents to do so, which you must admit, even though you don't want to.

No, you are wrong.
Quote:

Legal scholars say the scope and aggression of Bush's assertions that he can bypass laws represent a concerted effort to expand his power at the expense of Congress, upsetting the balance between the branches of government. The Constitution is clear in assigning to Congress the power to write the laws and to the president a duty ''to take care that the laws be faithfully executed." Bush, however, has repeatedly declared that he does not need to ''execute" a law he believes is unconstitutional.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:41 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Congress does not hold the power to regulate the Executive Branch . . .

That is a false statement. For example, the President is the Commander and Chief, however, Article I, Section 8 reads, in part:

Congress shall have the power to make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces.

Furthermore, a later paragraph of Article I, Section 8 reads:

Congress shall have the power to make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

Additionally, of course, Executive branch Departments are created by Congress, and the Executive officers of said departments can only be appointed with consent of two thirds of the Senate. As usual, you either don't know what you're talking about, or you are willfully deceiving.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 2 May, 2006 06:53 pm
Quote:
Congress does not hold the power to regulate the Executive Branch

This is 100% incorrect. Congress holds exactly those powers. Congress does not have the ability to change the constitution, but Congress can regulate the Executive Branch to it's hearts content. The executive branch can choose not to follow those regulations, after which the Congress can choose whether or not to Impeach the president for defying them. But they do hold the power to regulate. It is inherent in their role as law-writers.

On what do you base your argument that Congress does not have the power to regulate the Executive Branch? You are essentially confirming my proposition, ie, that Bush's theory of governance - that the Executive Branch cannot be limited by outside means - smacks of dictatorial powers.

If you wish to bring up arguments from other threads, please have the courtesy to link to your post. Otherwise, please sum your position up in a few sentences.

Thank you for continuing to participate in this discussion, btw; I respect your arguments and abilities, even if I disagree with them, and you have forced me to refine my arguments greatly; I percieve this to be a great boon to me. You should see me mopping up those who don't have your rhetorical ability on this subject, on some other sites I frequent.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:33 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:

When you claim that Congress does not hold the power to regulate the Executive Branch, your claim simply demonstrates that you have not read the Constitution or you haven't understood what you read.

We are a government of laws and all lawmaking power resides with the people's elected representatives in Congress. The president, our chief executive officer, is our elected servant. He is mandated to faithfully execute the laws that our elected lawmakers have enacted in accordance with the process set forth in the Constitution. The president's power to review congressional bills and approve or disapprove them is limited by the Constitution. See Article I, Section 7:

Every bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a law, be presented to the President of the United States; if he approve he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the objections at large on their journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the bill, it shall be sent, together with the objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a law.

If the president approves the bill, he shall sign it and the bill becomes the law of the land. If the president doesn't approve the bill--if he believes the bill is unconstitutional--he must return the bill to the originating House with his written objections. Congress will then have an opportunity to consider the president's objections. But, the Constitution clearly vests a two-thirds majority of CONGRESS with the power to override the president's objections. When that is done, the bill SHALL BECOME A LAW. It is a law made in pursuant to the procedure established by the Constitution.

Whether he likes it or not; whether he approves or not; the president is mandated by the Constitution to faithfully execute the laws. He may not pick and choose what laws he will execute and what laws he will ignore or bypass whenever he chooses.

It is the JUDICIAL BRANCH--NOT the Executive Branch--that is vested with the power to determine if a duly enacted law is unconstitutional and therefore void ab initio and unenforceable.

If the President does not want to "faithfully execute" a law that he believes is unconstitutional--a law that was passed over his objections--then the president must seek a declaration from the judicial branch that the law is unconstitutional. The president does not have the power to "approve" a bill by signing it into law and then immediately "disapprove" a law by refusing to faithfully execute it due to objections that he never allowed CONGRESS to consider. He is depriving CONGRESS of its constitutional role in our government; he is depriving the JUDICIARY of its constitutional role in our government. He is unconstitutionally evading the checks and balances built into our system of government and has made himself a dictator--a "ruler" who is unconstrained by the law--rather than a servant whose job it is to faithfully execute the laws..
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 11:40 am
Tico and others who take his position are relying upon some pretty extreme twisting of the Constitution, and what it means, in order to support their position. I believe this is why you have seen the level of responses to our allegations drop off, Deb; it's a rare case of someone online actually realizing that their argument is hollow.

And it scares them, because of what it means to their party, which they are heavily emotionally invested in.

And it should.

Specter has announced his intention to hold hearings on the matter:

Quote:
Hearing vowed on Bush's powers
Senator questions bypassing of laws
By Charlie Savage, Globe Staff | May 3, 2006

WASHINGTON -- The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, accusing the White House of a ''very blatant encroachment" on congressional authority, said yesterday he will hold an oversight hearing into President Bush's assertion that he has the power to bypass more than 750 laws enacted over the past five years.

''There is some need for some oversight by Congress to assert its authority here," Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, said in an interview. ''What's the point of having a statute if . . . the president can cherry-pick what he likes and what he doesn't like?"

Specter said he plans to hold the hearing in June. He said he intends to call administration officials to explain and defend the president's claims of authority, as well to invite constitutional scholars to testify on whether Bush has overstepped the boundaries of his power.

The senator emphasized that his goal is ''to bring some light on the subject." Legal scholars say that, when confronted by a president encroaching on their power, Congress's options are limited. Lawmakers can call for hearings or cut the funds of a targeted program to apply political pressure, or take the more politically charged steps of censure or impeachment.

Boston.com

I told ya, even Republicans in Congress aren't going to like the idea that the president considers them to be powerless in regards to the bills they pass.

This is gonna get pretty ugly, pretty quick.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 12:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
. . . I told ya, even Republicans in Congress aren't going to like the idea that the president considers them to be powerless in regards to the bills they pass.

This is gonna get pretty ugly, pretty quick.

Cycloptichorn

I hope so. If our elected representatives in Congress pussy-foot around when it's absolutely necessary for them to take back the power of the people so that we can become a nation of laws once again; if our elected representatives are so spineless that they allow the people's power to be ceded to a unitary authority (a dictator)----then it becomes necessary for the people to hold our congressional representatives accountable for their spineless conduct and to oust the entire lot of them. The power that is being wielded in this country by that control-freaky robber baron in the White House must be returned to the people.

I refuse to stand by in silence while the president unilaterally decides to ignore and bypass the laws enacted by our representatives. If our laws are relegated to the status of meaningless advice that the president may discard at his sole whim while he lies to our faces and operates in secret----then this ain't America anymore. Given the president's plummeting approval rate, our combined voices are growing more and more effective with each passing day.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Wed 3 May, 2006 01:03 pm
Ticomaya wrote:

In addition to my previous response, it is time once again to remind Tico that the Supreme Court has rejected his argument:

Quote:
. . . In the framework of our Constitution, the President's power to see that the laws are faithfully executed refutes the idea that he is to be a lawmaker. The Constitution limits his functions in the lawmaking process to the recommending of laws he thinks wise and the vetoing of laws he thinks bad. And the Constitution is neither silent nor equivocal about who shall make laws which the President is to execute. The first section of the first article says that "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States . . . ." After granting many powers to the Congress, Article I goes on to provide that Congress may "make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof."

The President's order does not direct that a congressional policy be executed in a manner prescribed by Congress - it directs that a presidential policy be executed in a manner prescribed by the President. The preamble of the order itself, like that of many statutes, sets out reasons why the President believes certain policies should be adopted, proclaims these policies as rules of conduct to be followed, and again, like a statute, authorizes a government official to promulgate additional rules and regulations consistent with the policy proclaimed and needed to carry that policy into execution. The power of Congress to adopt such public policies as those proclaimed by the order is beyond question. It can authorize the taking of private property for public use. It can make laws regulating the relationships between employers and employees, prescribing rules designed to settle labor disputes, and fixing wages and working conditions in certain fields of our economy. The Constitution does not subject this lawmaking power of Congress to presidential or military supervision or control.

It is said that other Presidents without congressional authority have taken possession of private business enterprises in order to settle labor disputes. But even if this be true, Congress has not thereby lost its exclusive constitutional authority to make laws necessary and proper to carry out the powers vested by the Constitution "in the Government of the United States, or any Department or Officer thereof."

The Founders of this Nation entrusted the lawmaking power to the Congress alone in both good and bad times. It would do no good to recall the historical events, the fears of power and the hopes for freedom that lay behind their choice. Such a review would but confirm our holding that this seizure order cannot stand.

http://laws.findlaw.com/us/343/579.html
0 Replies