It's time you realised where we're coming from

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
Atheists that is. We see religion as making as much sense as Alice in Wonderland. It's 2006, and we still see people placing faith in their imaginary friend in the sky. I find it absolutely incomprehensible that a rational human being could possibly believe in an omnipotent, all knowing, all seeing being. My opinion sways between seeing religionists as needing education and counselling, to needing heavy medication and to be locked in a padded room where they can't do any damage.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,615 • Replies: 178
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm
Oh dear.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:50 pm
This should be fun.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:51 pm
I come from Texas, with a side trip through California.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:56 pm
Wilso, with all due respect, you do not speak for this atheist. I work with people of faith, socialize with people of faith, and have no problems with any of them.

I think I see the point you are trying to make, but broad sweeping generalizations are no better than the weak arguments that you are railing against.
0 Replies

Prospero

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:57 pm
Well, ALL of us are coming from SOMEWHERE.

It is, I observe, generally more difficult to see where we are GOING.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:58 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Wilso, with all due respect, you do not speak for this atheist. I work with people of faith, socialize with people of faith, and have no problems with any of them.

I think I see the point you are trying to make, but broad sweeping generalizations are no better than the weak arguments that you are railing against.

It fits most of the nuts that post on this board.
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:04 pm
Mark
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
Wilso wrote:
LionTamerX wrote:

It fits most of the nuts that post on this board.

Saint PeterPaul once said:

Quote:
Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:09 pm
The padded room may be a bit much, Wilso, but basically, I agree with you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:12 pm
Why is it that, well since Wilso stated it, I will address this to him. And just what makes you think that you are so superior to anyone that believes in God? What gives you the right to judge anyone for what they believe or don't believe?

What gives you the right to decide we need counseling or medication just because we have faith?

I have never called you or any non-believer on these threads a name because of your beliefs or lack of them. What makes you think you are better than anyone else for anything?

Unfortunately, the only thing I have actually learned from most atheists on these threads is exactly how not to treat people. You want to be an atheist? Fine. If it gives you license to treat others any way you deem justifiable, you can keep it. As for me and mine, we will serve the Lord.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:14 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Why is it that, well since Wilso stated it, I will address this to him. And just what makes you think that you are so superior to anyone that believes in God? What gives you the right to judge anyone for what they believe or don't believe?

What gives you the right to decide we need counseling or medication just because we have faith?

I have never called you or any non-believer on these threads a name because of your beliefs or lack of them. What makes you think you are better than anyone else for anything?

Unfortunately, the only thing I have actually learned from most atheists on these threads is exactly how not to treat people. You want to be an atheist? Fine. If it gives you license to treat others any way you deem justifiable, you can keep it. As for me and mine, we will serve the Lord.

Yet you can't show a shred of evidence to support your contention that he exists. Not rational.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

Yet you can't show a shred of evidence to support your contention that he exists. Not rational.

Your side truly needs a new script. I do not require proof of God. I have faith. I am sorry you cannot or do not understand the concept.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:23 pm
Oh, we understand it all right.
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm
God shows himself to those willing to believe.

Until the nonbelievers do that...they will never understand.

Personally, I wouldn't have it any other way than the God I trust in.

You don't know how it is for us, just as we're not sure why you can't believe.

"S that simple.

I asked this before but don't remember getting an answer Wilso...is that you and your baby?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:26 pm
I agree, MommaAngel that you have been treating us atheists much better than we have been treating you. But has it occured to you that we are not just aggressing against you personally? (actually you are a very nice, actually sweet, person); we are, I think, aggressing against the institution that your ideas and values represent. Christianity holds us to be "sinners" (a notion christians made up, not a reality like that of an "apple"), and it would form a society in which our institutions, our forms of entertainment, education, marriage, etc. etc. would conform to its ideas and ideals. That is much more offensive than anything Wilson can say.
Well maybe not in the case of Wilson.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:29 pm
Re: It's time you realised where we're coming from
Wilso wrote:
Atheists that is. We see religion as making as much sense as Alice in Wonderland. It's 2006, and we still see people placing faith in their imaginary friend in the sky. I find it absolutely incomprehensible that a rational human being could possibly believe in an omnipotent, all knowing, all seeing being. My opinion sways between seeing religionists as needing education and counselling, to needing heavy medication and to be locked in a padded room where they can't do any damage.

You seem to be very presumptuous in your taking the authority to speak for all atheists. I am sure that rational and thinking atheists would not wish to be painted with the brush with which you paint them. I think that atheists are more intelligent than that.

The fact that something is incomprehensible and rational to you does not mean that others cannot understand it. The fact that you deem religionists as being in need of education and counselling indicates that you feel your point of view is the only acceptable point of view. Newsflash... it isn't. The heavy medication appears to be already in use, and it isn't by what you refer to as the religionists. Your last line certainly lacks the maturity that is, most likely, not shared by your fellows.

I think you do a disservice to tolerant and thinking atheists. Having a different point of view is one thing... to dislike a group of people for their religion is quite another.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:30 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I agree, MommaAngel that you have been treating us atheists much better than we have been treating you. But has it occured to you that we are not just aggressing against you personally? (actually you are a very nice, actually sweet, person); we are, I think, aggressing against the institution that your ideas and values represent. Christianity holds us to be "sinners" (a notion christians made up, not a reality like that of an "apple"), and it would form a society in which our institutions, our forms of entertainment, education, marriage, etc. etc. would conform to its ideas and ideals. That is much more offensive than anything Wilson can say.
Well maybe not in the case of Wilson.

JLNobody,

The problem is that it seems ALL Christians are being treated the same way because of SOME Christians. It doesn't matter that it is pointed out that we do not personally follow those beliefs or doctrines.

We still are being blamed for what others are doing.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:31 pm
I couldn't make some changes, so I repeat with changes my previous post.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:33 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I couldn't make some changes, so I repeat with changes my previous post.

I do appreciate your sentiment JLNobody. You have always been respectful and I do appreciate that.
0 Replies