It's time you realised where we're coming from

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:11 am
well then, say what you bloody mean, neologist.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:24 am
Echo JL, with the addition that I don't find intentionally inflamatory statements problematic if they contain some sort of point or an attempt to make one. I too have noticed several that don't, and I too would prefer to do without them.

I have also registered that a lot of this gibberish is coming from my side of the issue. I tend to think of pointless posts filled with invective as spam rather than verbal abuse, though I understand that some people feel differently. I usually just ignore it, but since it seems to come up a lot lately I figured I should make my position known.

I tend to think of pointless posts filled with invective as spam rather than verbal abuse, though I understand that some people feel differently. Anyways, I'm off to where people are making and refuting arguments.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:27 am
dagmaraka wrote:
well then, say what you bloody mean, neologist.
Sorry, just had to paraphrase.

I find the atheist and agnostic positions to be wholly understandable and much more substantive in logic than the drivel posted by many believers. After all, the history of religion is crammed with the psychopathic excesses of power hungry clergy.

But who keeps the robe on the back of the cleric? Is it not the politician who depends on the popular superstition to maintain order and deliver his soldiers to the front?

The smartest politician would be the atheist who keeps his religious mouth shut.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:36 am
"Smartest" as meaning most successful in the US?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 10:37 am
I'm from The Hague. Thats factually verifiable and a religion ;-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:01 pm
Chumly,

In your opinion, Christianity may be based on fear. To me, it is not
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:15 pm
Neo, do you mean what you're saying now?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:20 pm
Good for Canada; in many respects they're more enlightened than the U.S..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:23 pm
Dog bless you all . . .

May He lift His Mighty Leg and shower enlightenment on you all . . .

Ramen . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:24 pm
However enlightenment comes, it's welcome.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 12:27 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly,

I am not sure what you mean by "In your opinion" could you please explain?

Do you believe all opinions are equal in merit?

Opinion:

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
The prevailing view: public opinion.
Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:28 pm
Chumly wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly,

Opinion:

A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: "The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion" (Elizabeth Drew).
A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

An opinion is formed on information and on the beliefs of the person receiving the information.

My being a Christian has absolutely nothing to do with fear. It has everything to do with the love of Jesus Christ.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:44 pm
OK, and are all what you call "opinions" equal in merit?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

An opinion is formed on information and on the beliefs of the person receiving the information.

As an aside, an opinion can also be formed by a noticeable lack of information.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly,

Opinion:

My being a Christian has absolutely nothing to do with fear. It has everything to do with the love of Jesus Christ.

Is it wrong or rude in any way to define a person's belief for them without asking? Even though I am a Christian I cannot possibly define all the viewpoints of other Christians.

An atheist cannot define all the views of atheists either. They can only point to their commonalities. Same as Christians I think. Somehow people get the idea that all Christians have to agree on all things regarding the faith.

That's impossible since as humans....we are all different. Yet...this is one of the criticisms that keep coming against Christians. "Why are their so many different sects"?

Were not robots....none of us.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:52 pm
Mom,
Further would you please explain what your personal beliefs have to do with Christianity as per the bible?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

This is true of anyone. Unless one has all the information.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 01:59 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:

This is true of anyone. Unless one has all the information.

This is true, though rather silly to point out.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:01 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Momma Angel wrote:
Chumly,

Opinion:

Is it wrong or rude in any way to define a person's belief for them without asking? Even though I am a Christian I cannot possibly define all the viewpoints of other Christians.

An atheist cannot define all the views of atheists either. They can only point to their commonalities. Same as Christians I think. Somehow people get the idea that all Christians have to agree on all things regarding the faith.

That's impossible since as humans....we are all different. Yet...this is one of the criticisms that keep coming against Christians. "Why are their so many different sects"?

Were not robots....none of us.
You are confusing the difference between an idiosyncratic, individualist, personal belief and the material I have provided on Christianity itself.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 11 Jan, 2006 02:03 pm
chumly Wrote:

Quote:
Mom,
Further would you please explain what your personal beliefs have to do with Christianity as per the bible?

Chumly,

I'm afraid I don't quite get your question. If you have specifics, I'd be happy to address them.

In your response to Bartikus right above this, I highly doubt you will find any two Christians who believe 100% of anything concerning Christianity.
0 Replies