Only Prayer and Encouragement for the Troops Please!!

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:31 am
Lord, we ask that you be with our troops today. Give them understanding, grant them peace, comfort their sorrows, ease their lonliness, and guide them Lord. In Jesus' name we pray. Amern.

Good Morning Setanta! You doing ok today?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 10:38 am
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:37 am
have you memorized it yet, boss? Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2006 11:39 am
Naw, and the entire work by Clemens is longer than just that portion of the prayer . . . i linked it in my thread entitled The War Prayer.

I'm praying for the troops and encouraging their activities, no?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:11 pm
Lord we ask that you grant comfort, peace, guidance and understanding to the troops this day. Ease their lonliness. Comfort their sorrows. Guide them in their understanding. In Jesus name we pray, Amen.

I hope you have a good day, Setanta.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:33 pm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
I'm curious why these prayers for the troops always invoke Jesus' name at the end.

What solace will those soldiers who aren't Christian derive from this? Which leads me to wonder, as others have, about the real intent of these public prayers...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 12:58 pm
D'artagnan,

As a Christian, that is the way I was taught to pray, as no one gets to the Father except through the son. Everyone is more than welcome to either post a prayer or words of encouragement for our troops. There is also a prayer thread for the Iraqi people. I have not requested that prayers be limited to Christian prayers.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:01 pm
I always thought prayer was done in private, or among one's co-religionists. What's up with all the public prayer here?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:03 pm
Just wondering, and I really don't mean this to sound provocative or anything.

There are supposedly soldiers that check a2k. Do they post anywhere? None posted here, unless I missed it. It would actually be really grand if we had a thread where some of them would post. I haven't met any soldiers deployed in Iraq on here (one that was in Pakistan, if I remember correctly). I guess it would make no sense for us to create such a thread for them if they're not here, but it would be cool nonetheless. Then we'd hear also from them what they think and go through.
0 Replies

dyslexia

D'art you silly goose, ALL US of A soldiers are christians, I think it's a law.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

D'artagnan wrote:
I'm curious why these prayers for the troops always invoke Jesus' name at the end.

A Christian is making the prayer ....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
D'artagnan,

There has been some controversary over public prayer. Jesus was admonishing the Pharisees who prayed in public for show. We are not to pray for show.

We are supposed to asemble with one another and pray. If all prayer were to be done in private, then I submit every church would be sinning, as prayer is a large part of the service.

This prayer thread is to offer encouragement for our troops, as there are troops that visit these threads.

I wonder why no one asked about the prayer thread started for the Miners in Virginia?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:05 pm
dyslexia wrote:

Actually, many U.S. of A. soldiers are Mexican citizens - they go for the promise of citizenship. Mexico has the second largest number of soldiers in Iraq even though Mexico does not partake in the Coalition and sent no army.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:07 pm
dagmaraka,

I like your idea. Perhaps you could start a thread for the soldiers?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:07 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
D'artagnan,

There has been some controversary over public prayer. Jesus was admonishing the Pharisees who prayed in public for show. We are not to pray for show.

We are supposed to asemble with one another and pray. If all prayer were to be done in private, then I submit every church would be sinning, as prayer is a large part of the service.

but isn't a prayer in the church still a private endeavor, sort of mediated by the priest? you go to church for the purpose of praying. but i don't go for that purpose to a2k. i guess that's the difference being pointed out.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:08 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Actually, many U.S. of A. soldiers are Mexican citizens - they go for the promise of citizenship. Mexico has the second largest number of soldiers in Iraq even though Mexico does not partake in the Coalition and sent no army.

So you're saying they're Catholics ... not Christians?

Just a joke folks.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
Actually Dag, I was thinking about he time when I enlisted (1962) you had a choice of being (1) Catholic (2) Protestant (3) Jewish. That was it, no other options. I protested so I was registered as a Protestant.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:09 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
dagmaraka,

I like your idea. Perhaps you could start a thread for the soldiers?

but if there aren't any on the site, (i know of no one), it would be a very abandoned thread. it should come from someone there.

Perhaps some lurk and not post, i don't know. I'd rather leave it to someone else though.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2006 01:10 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Actually Dag, I was thinking about he time when I enlisted (1962) you had a choice of being (1) Catholic (2) Protestant (3) Jewish. That was it, no other options. I protested so I was registered as a Protestant.

no way, are you serious? so i, a heathen, could not enlist as such?
0 Replies