Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

And... not all people who believe in an after life are Christians.

Precisely, that was the original point. I don't recall that fresco's statement singled out Christians.

Not all who believe in an afterlife are even religious or even believe in God. But....they all enable or support the terrorists?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:24 pm
Bartikus wrote:

What all are you an enabler of then?

Plenty, I'm sure.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
J_B wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

What all are you an enabler of then?

Plenty, I'm sure.

Could you be an enabler of war without knowing?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:26 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

And... not all people who believe in an after life are Christians.

Precisely, that was the original point. I don't recall that fresco's statement singled out Christians.

Then didn't you just negate your statement that
Quote:

Not all people who don't believe in an afterlife are satanists, so the first part of the statement doesn't hold, but the second part does.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:29 pm
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
I like Kicky's use of the word enable vs guilty because the enablers do not prevent the action of the lunatic fringe of their belief group.

The problem with that is I don't know who all the lunatics are! Very Happy :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:30 pm
I don't think so, Intrepid.

Quote:
Could you be an enabler of war without knowing?

Again, according to Tolstoy's premise even the act of paying taxes that pay for a war contributes to complicity. So sure, I pay taxes, I enable the war effort.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:31 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B Wrote:

Quote:
I like Kicky's use of the word enable vs guilty because the enablers do not prevent the action of the lunatic fringe of their belief group.

The problem with that is I don't know who all the lunatics are! Very Happy :wink:

I'm starting to sound like one. Gotta run folks, have a nice evening.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:31 pm
Folks...I'm not trying to equate terrorists with Mother Theresa.

I was just pointing out the obvious insanity of considering everyone who believes in an afterlife as part and parcel to those who fly planes into buildings.

It's not fair to paint with such a brush.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:33 pm
Bartikus wrote:

I was just pointing out the obvious insanity of considering everyone who believes in an afterlife as part and parcel to those who fly planes into buildings.

Bartikus,

I completely agree with you. I don't think anyone should be considered guilty by association because they believe in a certain faith and there are some that take that faith to the extreme.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:34 pm
Of course it is, I see it here on most all the spirituality threads.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:38 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Bartikus wrote:

Bartikus,

I completely agree with you. I don't think anyone should be considered guilty by association because they believe in a certain faith and there are some that take that faith to the extreme.

It's not any certain faith fresco elluded too but the mere belief of an afterlife! That's alot of people. Yet they all are guilty by association?

Ludicrous.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:40 pm
Well, I admit it, I'm completely lost. All this about guilt by association. Can someone fill me in here?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:43 pm
I wish I could help you out here, youngthinker, but I'm not really buying the guilt by association thing either.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:44 pm
young_thinker wrote:
Well, I admit it, I'm completely lost. All this about guilt by association. Can someone fill me in here?

It was about this statement

From Fresco:
If your beliefs include the concept of "___AFTERLIFE______" then YOU can be deemed guilty by association of giving "support" to any lunatic who bases HIS violent actions in whole or in part on such a belief

I suggested inserting any concept to see the nature of such a statement.

It's prejudicial to say the least.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:45 pm
kickycan wrote:
I wish I could help you out here, youngthinker, but I'm not really buying the guilt by association thing either.

Nor do I buy that all who believe in an afterlife.....are enablers.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:47 pm
Bartikus, I'm too tired to give it much thought right now, so I'll just have to get back to you on that when my brain starts functioning normally again.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:48 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bartikus, I'm too tired to give it much thought right now, so I'll just have to get back to you on that when my brain starts functioning normally again.

ok kicky I can understand....I need a break too.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:54 pm
I don't believe in an afterlife, I think it is just another tool used by the church to get people to obey. Like the terrorist leaders told the terrorist, they get a reward for obeying. I disagree with fresco though saying that that it is completely absurd, because that is disrespectful. KickyCan, telling me that Jesus will save me in a moment of utter agony I consider preaching. Shocked
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:55 pm
After all is said and done, what was the original point and purpose of what Fresco wrote?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:59 pm
young_thinker wrote:
I don't believe in an afterlife, I think it is just another tool used by the church to get people to obey. Like the terrorist leaders told the terrorist, they get a reward for obeying. I disagree with fresco though saying that that it is completely absurd, because that is disrespectful. TippyCan, telling me that Jesus will save me in a moment of utter agony I consider preaching. Shocked

I think you might want to reread what Kickycan said. I think you might find that Kickycan was being humorous and not preaching. :wink:
0 Replies