youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:10 pm
The Bible in my opinon is simply a book that was written by a man that excelently describes the nature of humananity. It serves as a way of life for many people, and thats pretty much religion in a nutshell. A way of Life. Living by the morals layed out by the Bible, people are defined as "Christians". I simply don't have a book and I live my life as I think is right. This is a bit different from my earlier post but I believe Christians and theists grab thier way of life from a book while I make a sort of custom religion for my self that can fit into the category of aetheism. Very Happy
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:11 pm
Intrepid said:
Quote:
Men do not live to 800 or 900 years of age now as they did in the bible either.

This could be it's own thread... Is a poorer diet and lack of excercise to blame ?

Any ideas ?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
I have always been able to find my own motivations to live my life. The difficulty or the part that requires great strength (humility) is when an almighty God opposes many of those motivations and calls a believer to submit to him.

Any willingness to serve another is not a sign of weakness but, of strength!

A man who gives his life for the sake of his child....is strength!

A man who willingly serves and gives his life for his people...are called heroes.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:15 pm
And I quote:

"Faith is something very different from belief. Belief is the systematic taking of unanalyzed words much too seriously. Paul's words, Mohammed's words, Marx's words, Hitler's words---people take them too seriously, and what happens? What happens is the senseless ambivalence of history---sadism versus duty, or (incomparably worse) sadism as duty; devotion counterbalanced by organized paranoia; sisters of charity selflessly tending the victims of their own church's inquisitors and crusaders. Faith, on the contrary, can never be taken too seriously. For Faith is the empirically justified confidence in our capacity to know who in fact we are, to forget the belief-intoxicated Manichee in Good Being. Give us this day our daily Faith, but deliver us, dear God, from Belief."

Island by Aldous Huxley
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
That would be Aldous Huxley's opinion, right? Is it also yours?
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:17 pm
Yeah, thats why I posted it.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:20 pm
I'm sure Aldous Huxley would be a pleased leader.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:22 pm
Hey, Angel, I just thought of something. OK, so God wants people to believe in him, right? So why doesn't he just offer some big undeniable proof that he exists?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:23 pm
young_thinker wrote:
Hey, Angel, I just thought of something. OK, so God wants people to believe in him, right? So why doesn't he just offer some big undeniable proof that he exists?

What type of proof would be sufficient for all? What type would be 'undeniable'?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:24 pm
young_thinker wrote:

What good would God be if He had to prove Himself to His creation?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:25 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
Intrepid said:
Quote:
Men do not live to 800 or 900 years of age now as they did in the bible either.

This could be it's own thread... Is a poorer diet and lack of excercise to blame ?

Any ideas ?

It all started with the invention of the home computer
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:26 pm
Uhh, send Jesus down to earth? Make an undisputiple miracle that can't be thwarted by science?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:27 pm
Define 'undeniable proof" in your terms. Did you ever think the proof was everywhere right now?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
young_thinker wrote:
Uhh, send Jesus down to earth? Make an undisputiple miracle that can't be thwarted by science?

How much time would you allow science to try to thwart it?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:28 pm
young_thinker wrote:

Jesus will return when the time is right.
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:30 pm
The most solid I would have to say is evolution, and the way we haven't exterminated ourselves yet. The way things have turned out just the way they are basically.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:30 pm
young_thinker wrote:

If a man who claimed to be Jesus came and caused fire to rain down on earth....would that be enough?
0 Replies

youngthinker

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:31 pm
When will the time be right?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
young_thinker wrote:
When will the time be right?

When man has prepared for the coming.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 10:32 pm
Even if a man came and did this...you would not 'know' if it was him. All you could do is believe.
0 Replies