JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:53 pm
Intrepid wrote:

If you contend that those who believe in an afterlife have an association with those who also believe in an after life and fly planes into buildings.... then the same holds true of those who do not fear or look forward to an after life having an association with murderers who are of the same mind.

No, the inverse of a belief does not hold to the original statement. What I am hearing fresco say is that those who share a belief system can be seen as 'supporting' of the actions of the lunatic fringe of the belief system. If someone doesn't share in the belief system then they are not rendering support.

You take murder as a possible belief (believing in murder). Anyone who supports murder by way of capital punishment could also be seen as providing 'support' to the concept of murder. The lack of belief in an afterlife is irrelavent to the belief of murder.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:56 pm
kickycan wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
sure, why not.

Ok. How many have you told were guilty by association based upon the belief of an afterlife with those who flew the planes into the twin towers?

How many loved ones have you told this? Honestly.

Well to start off with, I don't have any "loved ones" that believe in an afterlife.

Any family or friends that do?

I wouldn't go so far as to say they are exactly "guilty" for it, but they are definitely enablers.

And I have many family members who are believers. I would never bring this up with them.

My belief in an afterlife is the opposite of those who seek to destroy others. My God will not reward anyone for killing an unbeliever....on the contrary.

There are differences in beliefs regarding the afterlife. Not all beliefs follow the same God. I will give account for every idle word spoken....how much more so will I give account for my actions?

Do you draw a distinction between one who uses a belief to destroy and one who uses a belief to help others.

Do you feel comfortable saying Mother Theresa is guilty by association based on her beliefs.....with a terrorist who goes to slaughter helpless children and elderly?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:56 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

If you contend that those who believe in an afterlife have an association with those who also believe in an after life and fly planes into buildings.... then the same holds true of those who do not fear or look forward to an after life having an association with murderers who are of the same mind.

No, the inverse of a belief does not hold to the original statement. What I am hearing fresco say is that those who share a belief system can be seen as 'supporting' of the actions of the lunatic fringe of the belief system. If someone doesn't share in the belief system then they are not rendering support.

You take murder as a possible belief (believing in murder). Anyone who supports murder by way of capital punishment could also be seen as providing 'support' to the concept of murder. The lack of belief in an afterlife is irrelavent to the belief of murder.

I don't think we are on the same page
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:58 pm
Quote:

Do you feel comfortable saying Mother Theresa is guilty by association based on her beliefs.....with a terrorist who goes to slaughter helpless children and elderly?

How about a naval cook on a nazi warship during ww2. Never fired a weapon.
Is he guilty by association of the crimes commited by his fellows?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 08:58 pm
That's entirely possible, intrepid. This topic is a little deeper than I usually venture, but I hear what fresco is saying.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:00 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Did he join or was he conscripted? What crimes were commited by his fellows on that warship? They were at war. Men and women from both sides were on ships as cooks etc. What is your point with this analogy?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:03 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Did he join or was he conscripted? What crimes were commited by his fellows on that warship? They were at war. Men and women from both sides were on ships as cooks etc. What is your point with this analogy?

Seems your only trying to confuse my point without ever answering....just like young thinker pointed out I might add. Dok
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Tolstoy states that only the Mennonites and Quakers are true Christians in his book, "The Kingdom of God is Within You". The premise being that only outright refusal to participate can shield you from the guilt of association. From this perspective only the conscientious objector would be innocent of war crimes.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
J_B wrote:
That's entirely possible, intrepid. This topic is a little deeper than I usually venture, but I hear what fresco is saying.

Let me try this. If the folks in question that fly the plane into the building do not believe in an afterlife. They believe in satanism. Does that mean that every person that believes in satanism is in support of those flying the planes?

If you disagree.... tell me how that is different from those who believe in an afterlife are any differently being accused of being associated with radicals who believe in an afterlife flying planes into buildings.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:06 pm
J_B wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Tolstoy states that only the Mennonites and Quakers are true Christians in his book, "The Kingdom of God is Within You". The premise being that only outright refusal to participate can shield you from the guilt of association. From this perspective only the conscientious objector would be innocent of war crimes.

As would Mother Theresa....yes? If Mother Theresa refused to take part and objected ....could you consider her as an accesory or enabler?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:08 pm
Bartikus wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

Seems your only trying to confuse my point without ever answering....just like young thinker pointed out I might add. Dok

How am I trying to confuse it. If it was solid... it could not be confused. If we take your senario as fact then nobody on this earth is completely innocent of anything. Unless they never do anything.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:10 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Bartikus wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

How am I trying to confuse it. If it was solid... it could not be confused. If we take your senario as fact then nobody on this earth is completely innocent of anything. Unless they never do anything.

I addressed it to Dok Intrepid. lol Dok avoided the question and tried to further cloud the issue.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:11 pm
Now I am confused. I think I answered Bartikus as if Doktor S had replied to me. Sorry if I have confused.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:11 pm
Intrepid wrote:
J_B wrote:

Let me try this. If the folks in question that fly the plane into the building do not believe in an afterlife. They believe in satanism. Does that mean that every person that believes in satanism is in support of those flying the planes?

If you disagree.... tell me how that is different from those who believe in an afterlife are any differently being accused of being associated with radicals who believe in an afterlife flying planes into buildings.

No, I don't disagree. But I agree based on the part of the concurrence of belief. Not all people who don't believe in an afterlife are satanists, so the first part of the statement doesn't hold, but the second part does.

If the folks in question that fly the plane into the building believe in satanism, then every person who believes in satanism can be accused of providing support of the actions of the lunatic fringe of the belief group.

I like Kicky's use of the word enable vs guilty because the enablers do not prevent the action of the lunatic fringe of their belief group.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
Sorry about that Bartikus. My reply to Doktor S still stands. Laughing
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:12 pm
young_thinker wrote:
...............or

Out of nowhere there was a big bang. Then the universe began in a trillionth of a second. Then there was another big bang (inflation). An then the universe started.

They both sound pretty odd from a neutral point of view. The Big Bang theory has evidence and math behind it. Creationism does not, it's a theory with out proof.

Discuss.

Where did the matter and energy that interacted in the Big Bang come from?
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
J_B wrote:

No, I don't disagree. But I agree based on the part of the concurrence of belief. Not all people who don't believe in an afterlife are satanists, so the first part of the statement doesn't hold, but the second part does.

If the folks in question that fly the plane into the building believe in satanism, then every person who believes in satanism can be accused of providing support of the actions of the lunatic fringe of the belief group.

I like Kicky's use of the word enable vs guilty because the enablers do not prevent the action of the lunatic fringe of their belief group.

What all are you an enabler of then?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:13 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
J_B wrote:

And... not all people who believe in an after life are Christians.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:15 pm
Not all who believe in an afterlife are even religious or even believe in God.

But.....they are all enablers.

Would anyone care to ...refine or further clarify this?

Should we who believe in an afterlife now apply the same measure?

God forbid.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:

And... not all people who believe in an after life are Christians.

Precisely, that was the original point. I don't recall that fresco's statement singled out Christians.
0 Replies