gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:50 am
Don't listen to these women, Chumley.

They're just trying to help.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Is coming home from her mom's usually the start of all this? If her mother is an unpleasant person who has been treating her that way the whole time she was there, she might just be redirecting it all to you -- which of course isn't fair. Maybe the you two could figure out if that has something to do with it.
Coming home from her mom's in only one example, alas. There are any number of triggering event some of which I can understand / predict / justify and some I cannot, I don't doubt she is redirecting at least as it relates to her mom and I have mentioned that pattern to her a number of times.

She may come home from a long day in traffic and have the same response towards me as the mom factor.

My view is not the who/how/why although I can fully understand why you all want to know, my view is that she would treat me with at last the same amount of respect she would show a stranger in a similar situation, and that she should focus her destructive emotions somewhere else, and that if there is something she does not like, she should abide by the "puppy training" ethos in that negative reinforcement is not going to work well.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:59 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Don't listen to these women, Chumley.

They're just trying to help.
Now that cracks me up big time!!!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:07 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Why did you marry a woman you can't stand? Seriously.

This is how she is and you married her. Why do you want to change her?
Why did I marry her? Love & lust plus I found the "zippiness" appealing for some years, but now it has become a burden, alas. I am not sure change is the right word, I would settle for her projecting her frustrations/energies in a more suitable direction!

I think I can see what you're getting at here.

I'll assume you've been married several years.

Her "zippiness" might have been appropriate for the age both of you were when you married. But over time, most people tend to ever so slowly change, mature, get settled, whatever you want to call it.

It seems she's as zippy as when you married her, but you've become more mellow.

If you were married a brief time, I'd be harder on you. Although I don't yell through the house, I'm a pretty animated person. With my first husband, he apparantly liked the way I was enough to marry me. Then, literally within a couple of months, all of a sudden it was "you never shut up". I asked him the same question Bella asked you "Why'd you marry me?"
Actually, when we were dating, he said my enthusiasm was one of the main things he fell in love with. That marriage ended in less than 2 years.

However, in your case, it sound like a long time has gone by. I don't believe you can change her inate personality, but I'd be upset, like you, that she hasn't, well for lack of a better term, grown up a bit.

Has she changed much over the years?
Nine years and counting and she has not slowed down much if at all, and I was smoothing out when I met her and continue to do so. You are dead on as her "enthusiasm was one of the main things" I dug about her when we met, such life, so sharp! It's a standing joke-amazement that we share with our friends that she is a rocket even compared to woman ½ her age.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:08 pm
The purpose of finding out why and what sets her off is so that she can figure it out and change it. It seems that she doesn't have another outlet for her frustration besides you. Maybe you could help her find one. But other than that and other than expressing to her how hurtful it is when she dumps her crap on you, I'm not sure what you can do about it short of threatening divorce. It could be that she just doesn't realize what she's doing.

But you do have a right to insist on respect. Do you always walk away and shut the door when she loses it? Maybe you should continue doing this, in a calm way of course. If she recognizes that you will do that every time she has crossed the line, she might see where the limit is. Obviously you shouldn't do that if you're having a discussion about something that is important to her. You want her to be heard, but at the point where you are certain that it is just a tantrum, you should remove yourself.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:19 pm
squinney wrote:
It's easy to attach a goodness to those traits when that is what you need / want to see. The problem arises when those same traits come back to bite you.
100%, you got it, love is blind, and strange! Strength (real or perceived) can be appealing. A lot of comments from prior boyfriends of hers was that she was "too much woman". In fact she spent 15 years living on her own before meeting me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:52 pm
I can see where the walking the dog or doing renovations is aimed at you, but is it always?

I mean, most of the time Bear is going off on a tirade it isn't aimed at me. I happen to be the one he's talking to, but he's actually ranting about someone else. That drives me nuts. I can't stand the tension, loudness, repitition or that he's going on and on about something I think he should have dropped an hour ago. My blood pressure goes up, my muscles tense, and my head starts to hurt. I have told him many times that it bothers me, but he hasn't stopped.

So is it usually aimed AT you or TO you?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:53 pm
The Bear sounds like a monster, squinney.

You poor thing.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:54 pm
... To you meaning just spouting about what the boss said that ticked her off that day kinda stuff. Needing to say it to get it off her chest.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:57 pm
Nah, Gus. He'd be a monster if he was aiming it at me by making me the dog he kicks everytime he gets home from a hard day of work or traffic. It's more of a personality difference, where he has to vocalize and vent, I internalize or forget about it all together.

That's what I'm wondering about with Chumly and wife. Is it just personality, or is hse kicking him?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:27 pm
Chumly,
My gut tells me (after reading this thread) that you like her acting like this (until a certain point where you are bothered, of course).

I can imagine you egging her on, loving to see her riled up and 'zippy'...but once that fire burns high enough to really crisp ya', all of a sudden you expect her to stop?!

You'd be bored if she didn't nip ya !

My advice is to leave her for a while. Actually leave the house, the relationship, everything and act aloof and like you don't care.

Works everytime on a woman who throws tantrums.

Mama wants what Mama can't have.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:29 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
The purpose of finding out why and what sets her off is so that she can figure it out and change it. It seems that she doesn't have another outlet for her frustration besides you. Maybe you could help her find one. But other than that and other than expressing to her how hurtful it is when she dumps her crap on you, I'm not sure what you can do about it short of threatening divorce. It could be that she just doesn't realize what she's doing.

But you do have a right to insist on respect. Do you always walk away and shut the door when she loses it? Maybe you should continue doing this, in a calm way of course. If she recognizes that you will do that every time she has crossed the line, she might see where the limit is. Obviously you shouldn't do that if you're having a discussion about something that is important to her. You want her to be heard, but at the point where you are certain that it is just a tantrum, you should remove yourself.
It makes lots of sense to find out why and what sets her off is so that she can figure it out and change it, but it does not last when I try.

You are right that she doesn't have another outlet for her frustration besides me, if she had kids and a bunch of friends nearby it would help, also she used to go roller blading everyday and swimming everyday and she is not doing either any more.

I sometimes think that by expressing to her how hurtful it is when she dumps her crap may make her subconsciccly perceive that as weakness, and "come in for the kill".

I have threatened divorce and it did work to a point, for a while, but we now have the "boy who cried wolf syndrome". Sometimes she doesn't realize what she's doing at least at the time.

I totally agree about the insisting on respect at al times.

I do not always walk away and shut the door when she loses it, alas I sometimes get unintentionally drawn in. I think that would be a great idea to do it each time there is a tantrum factor.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:31 pm
Chumly wrote:

I sometimes think that by expressing to her how hurtful it is when she dumps her crap may make her subconsciccly perceive that as weakness, and "come in for the kill".

You know your wife and I don't. You may very well be right.

Quote:

I do not always walk away and shut the door when she loses it, alas I sometimes get unintentionally drawn in. I think that would be a great idea to do it each time there is a tantrum factor.

Well, it works with children. I don't like suggesting that your wife is a child, but it's never too late to learn limits.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:34 pm
squinney wrote:
I can see where the walking the dog or doing renovations is aimed at you, but is it always?

I mean, most of the time Bear is going off on a tirade it isn't aimed at me. I happen to be the one he's talking to, but he's actually ranting about someone else. That drives me nuts. I can't stand the tension, loudness, repitition or that he's going on and on about something I think he should have dropped an hour ago. My blood pressure goes up, my muscles tense, and my head starts to hurt. I have told him many times that it bothers me, but he hasn't stopped.

So is it usually aimed AT you or TO you?
You are right I sometimes cannot easily tell if it's at me, or to me, as I have the same negative reaction either way, I just was not brought up that way, and don't consider it the right way to treat loved ones.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:47 pm
flushd wrote:
Chumly,
My gut tells me (after reading this thread) that you like her acting like this (until a certain point where you are bothered, of course).

I can imagine you egging her on, loving to see her riled up and 'zippy'...but once that fire burns high enough to really crisp ya', all of a sudden you expect her to stop?!

You'd be bored if she didn't nip ya !

My advice is to leave her for a while. Actually leave the house, the relationship, everything and act aloof and like you don't care.

Works everytime on a woman who throws tantrums.

Mama wants what Mama can't have.

Well to some extent I at least used to like the overt zippiness, but self-analysis to the point of knowing if I purposefully egg her on is really tough for me to confirm. I am pretty sure of one thing however, I have had a number of long term loving relationships lasting over 10 years each and the dynamics of this one are unique, the other woman were more woman-like in the cliché sense, not so in-your-face.

Evaporating for a week or two was the norm in the prior relationships and you are right that a well worn shoe may be comfortable but too predictable. I should do that!
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 01:55 pm
I suck at relationships so I am probably the worst person to poke my nose in here, but some of what you were saying about her reeked of me when I was in a relationship a couple of years back. I was dating this nice guy who was verbally quieter than me. I can be loud and abrasive at times and certainly was more aggressive than him. I was ranting one day (about something inconsequential I'm sure) when he looked up at me forlornly and said quietly "why are you being such a bitch to me?" Now he said it so quietly and gently that I actually stopped to listen and really heard him for the first time in months. I had been on a rampage over my unhappiness with work and had been systematically whining at him and snapping his head off for the simplest and stupidest things. I was silent for a moment as I digested what he said and I had to agree. I was being a complete bitch and should be ashamed of myself. I would never have tolerated his speaking to me in this way.

You need her to really hear you. Have you watched shows (like Dr. Phil) where people see themselves on video and are aghast at their behavior? Maybe the next time she starts off yelling and screaming, you switch on the camcorder or a tape recorder and capture the moment. Play it back for her later and ask her how she would feel if it was you behaving this way toward her? Reasons and excuses aside, regardless of how she was before, during or after you married her, disrespect is not acceptable. Sure, rows will happen and some not-so-nice things will be said once in a while, but a continuous behavior in this vein is not right and neither you, nor she, should have to live like that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 02:19 pm
Heeven,
Lots of parallels.

Everyone,
Thanks for chiming in, I know some of what I wrote was a bit rambly, but I did not have time to refine it.
0 Replies

subtleone

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 03:17 am
A few ideas that aren't necessarily related:

I think this woman needs space. A lot of it. Make sure that you give her ample "alone" time, and make sure that the alone time is spent in a house that's cleaned and/or renovated just the way she likes it. Feng shui-ness can really make the difference in a person's well-being but it can't begin to happen with house issues up in the air.

Determine if you're responsible for her acting the way she does; how do you do that? Change your behavior. Give her space (as many have said already in one form or another), don't seek praise for accomplishing tasks she has been after you about for a long time. If you're changing everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, and she's still doing the same things, you might not be able to do anything about it after all (though don't come to this conclusion lightly).

Consider your history. Sometimes, I believe that such seemingly out-of-the-blue agression can rise out of history that you may have forgotten, but the woman hasn't. Acknowledge the past and fess up to all those times you've wronged her.

***WOMEN, am I totally off with number 3?***

Cheer up. You seem to have something in common with the 42nd president of the United States.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:24 pm
subtleone,

You are 100% right about point 1, very perceptive!

As to points 2 and 3 they are much harder to conceptualize and implement but do clearly have merit.

Much thanks
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 12 Jan, 2006 04:29 pm
subtleone wrote:

Consider your history. Sometimes, I believe that such seemingly out-of-the-blue agression can rise out of history that you may have forgotten, but the woman hasn't. Acknowledge the past and fess up to all those times you've wronged her.

I think this has more to do with cumulative issues. Not necessarily ones you've gone over before. Many women I know, including myself, tend to not sweat the small stuff until one day, some small stuff snaps us in half and it becomes a 4 hour tirade on you.
0 Replies