Not a smoker anymore!!!!!

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 08:13 pm
I was a heavy smoker and it was very connected to all sorts of things I did, like talk on the telephone, start lab tests, finish lab tests, finish work, go to work, and of course, all the many matters at home, some of them great and loving fun.

I quit twice, and at a time when I smoked up to three packs a day, if I was both working and going to school..(lab work and a painting class in the evening, or printmaking until sometimes 1 in the morning.)

Both times cold turkey. Both times by deciding it didn't have anything to do with me any more. And I think I did do what ehbeth is saying, add other little treats (watch the food!!!) so I didn't feel like the Deprived One. Really, I just changed focus. I would like to say that that is when I started in with drawing classes, but no, it was after that, I was working in landscape architecture. I had gotten to understand how "dirty" other people thought it was, and I was starting to do a lot of swimming at the Y. Got to like breathing...just enough more than I adored smoking.

Well, I mixed up time in the last paragraph...I quit once for a year, and started again in a meeting when my boss sat next to me and was smoking my brand. There went another four years. Second time I quit, it held, except that I did have one with a very old woman teacher of my exhusband's, to pass a long day of her reveries with her...and gadzooks, I didn't start up again. I did that twice, didn't start with it again after being with her. In part, I saw the trouble she was in with it. Risky and stupid, but I put it in here to counteract the idea that it is impossible to continue stopping if you break down once.

I have read on other threads that you never get over the craving, but I am. It didn't take all that long. Life goes on.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:28 pm
Osso, well said! You're absolutely right, just because you cave, doesn't mean you won't make it next time. And, non-smokers do think of it as a dirty habit, and that is one of the reasons that made me quit ... I was also a 3 pack a day'er!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 09:40 pm
I tend to agree with farmerman, re not using the new helpful products...from my pov, they only still connect you to smoking, which you have stopped. They still keep you relating that to yourself. My pov.

But, however you do it, support from here.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:43 am
My grandfather on my mother's side used to be a heavy smoker, in the 2-3 pack a day range. He had to quit for his health, and back then, there were no products to ease it up. He did it though, cold turkey, with some sneaking around at the beginning, I should add, but he kicked it. I am a firm believer in not substituting one addiction for another, so the nicotine items I am wary about.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 11:41 am
All the good thoughts worked guys! Thanks! Two weeks from now I will be smoke-free! Man, I can't wait!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:07 pm
we were thinking about you Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 01:13 pm
You done good!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:24 pm
Rae, congratulations. Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 03:48 pm
Thank you, Noddy! Fourteen days.....Of course, my doctor said that I could give the smokes up any time in those fourteen days, and I think that'll be the case. I'm just ready to be done with this habit!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:41 pm
Think of all the travel money you'll save!

Road trip. Road trip. Road trip.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:42 pm
For some strange reason, I'm thinking about a road trip with all the money I'll save from not smoking.....
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:49 pm
Hurray for Rae!!

(And no more second hand smoke for the kitty.)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2003 05:54 pm
Thank you, nextone!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 04:45 am
Go Rae!
You CAN do it!!! Very Happy
Fingers crossed for you.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:21 am
road trip. road trip. road trip.

autumn leaves?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:22 am
Rae,I stopped smoking four months ago.Had a great reason for doing so however..It´s actually easy.
Once you´ve tried it a few times,of course.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:31 am
Hebba - how is your great reason doing?
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 10:42 am
Just wonderful thanks ehBeth.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
Thank you Olga and hebba. I don't have insurance and have been worried about getting the prescription filled ~ just found out it's only $42. I can handle that. So, I will start the program tomorrow morning. By July 25th (or sooner), I will be smoke free.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2003 02:13 pm
HI Rae Wink
0 Replies