Not a smoker anymore!!!!!

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 05:02 am
Rae - it's tough work, but it's possible. I've quit 3 times, each time cold turkey. The last time was just about 4 years ago, after a brief (2 months) relapse. In each case, I finished the pack I was smoking and gave away any others I had on hand. I've always had to do it on my own, without patches or pills, just me and no more cigarettes.

Like Noddy, I've always allowed myself the extra money for better treats - fancy yarns for knitting, a pair of shoes/boots I'd been eyeing - something very special that I couldn't afford, and didn't deserve while I was smoking.

You can do it, Rae - just think of the travel money you'll have!
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:07 pm
Yes, Rae! Come visit all of us! This should be a good reason to stop!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:16 pm
Thanks, Beth.

You're right, Ursula! It's one of the best reasons to stop! Plus I'll probably add ten years to my life.....

Have you talked bigdice into giving up again?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:23 pm
Do you really think anybody can talk him into something? No way!

His smoking does worry me. But he doesn't listen to me - I mean, he does listen to me most of the time but not when it's about smoking. Any suggestions?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:31 pm
Mention that if he gave up smoking now, you guys will have enough money to come back to Florida in three months!

Does that help? Sounds like good incentive to me! :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2003 01:34 pm
I will try that! Three months you think? Yes, he smokes a lot, you're right.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:00 pm
I haven't given up yet, folks. Should have my prescription this week.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 10:05 pm
If I can quit smoking, anyone can quit!

I did it cold turkey 14 years ago when I was told that I had arteriosclerosis and angioplasty could only be performed 3 or 4 times, if you didn't quit smoking.

I am so happy I did quit. I had been trying to quit for so long, and didn't. I suddenly decided I didn't want to be a smoker, that socially it was unacceptable.

I have never looked back.

Smoking is like any other addiction, and it is considered more difficult to quit than drugs.

I don't like anything or anybody that controls me, so there was nothing else to do, except quit!

Thank you God!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:50 pm
Okay folks.....keep your fingers crossed.....

I have an appointment tomorrow morning for a general check-up. I am going to ask for a prescription for Wellbutrin. I need all of your good thoughts. I'm going to the same office that I've been to for seven years now, but this is a different doctor. (A male, too ~ which I'm not too thrilled about.....a pelvic exam is bad enough, but seems to be easier with a female doctor.....anyway.....)

I know, that I cannot quit smoking without help. I've tried it and people were ready to kill me.

So, at 10:30 a.m., eastern-standard time, I need all of your thoughts directed at my doctor. Please. Begging. On knees and all.

(I'm even smoking in my room again and I know my Mom is ready to kill me.....I need help!)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:52 pm
Good thoughts!!!!!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:54 pm
Thank you, sozobe, very much. Don't forget.....10:30 a.m., est. I will report back as soon as I get home from my appointment.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:55 pm
Think about it this way: You only smoke because you are on fire, and you don't need cigarettes to prove that to the world Rae Smile
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 04:57 pm
Thanks cav ~ you're a Love. 10:30, est. Don't forget! Please!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:21 pm
so what was that? 10:29 PST?

kidding
KIDDING!

i'll be thinkin' of ya.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:28 pm
The very best of good luck, Rae!
And you've inspired me to seriously consider giving it up, too! Very Happy Have been thinking seriously thinking about it for some time. Rolling Eyes
Can you feel all of our best wishes & support, directed right at you, from all over the world?
You can do it!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:51 pm
cav, ehbeth, and msolga ~ thank you so very much.

Giving up the smokes is something I really, really, really want to do. I'm just sick of the habit.

And before anyone has a chance to say so.....I understand that if I really wanted to quit, I should be able to on my own.

Possible, but not likely. I'm just not strong enough.

Besides that.....Doesn't really matter what course of action I take ~ as long as I can quit smoking, I'll be a very happy person.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 06:56 pm
Tobacco addiction is supposed to be one of the toughest to beat. I think I've been lucky in being able to put the buggers down for very long periods of time. But the urge still lurks.

It's tough, but it's worth getting rid of the buggers.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:00 pm
I agree, ehBeth! Congratulations on being able to ignore the litte suckers!

Olga ~ I'm proud of you! Come on! Let's do this!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:23 pm
Soon, Rae, soon!!!! Very Happy

In the meantime:

GO RAE!!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 8 Jul, 2003 07:55 pm
Rae, bless you, I KNOW you can do it, you did before for months on end, it's easier when you really, really WANT to quit.

I've said it before, it's more of a mental addiction than physical, and the physical is out of your system in 3 days.

As far as smoking in your room, thank you for restricting it that way, but I have another concern, and that is the second hand smoke going to the little lungs of our kitties, Paddy and Lacey.

I'm not trying to give you a guilt trip, but I was very happy when you only smoked out on the porch. Because, you'd have to be a non-smoker to smell the awful morning cigarette smoke.

More important than anything else, I am concerned about you and would love to see you quit for your own good. I not only want to see you live a long life, but a life filled with good health, for you.

It's getting more inconvenient by the day, what with all the restrictions on smokers now, so to get the monkey off your back would be very liberating for you.

I am rooting for you, always, and you are in my prayers!

I love you for trying:)
0 Replies